Author Topic: [V7] What does KV, KV1, LD, LD1 mean?  (Read 579 times)

Offline notbenh

• New Egg
[V7] What does KV, KV1, LD, LD1 mean?
« on: March 26, 2024, 01:33:59 PM »
In browsing around for accessories and bag options for my new-to-me V7iii Milano I've seen a few places that ask for the type? Attached is a screen shot from sw-motech.us but I've seen this notation on a few other sites. I've not been able to find anything on the forum or any other documentation on what these types would parse out to? Am I just looking in the wrong place? Can this be safely ignored? Does anyone know what these types are?

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
Re: [V7] What does KV, KV1, LD, LD1 mean?
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2024, 03:12:57 PM »
I'd say for the most part you can ignore. They refer to trim levels, example, Racer, Special, Stone, etc.

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2024, 03:36:39 PM »
I'd say for the most part you can ignore. They refer to trim levels, example, Racer, Special, Stone, etc.

-AJ

Which is goofy, because the Milano IS a trim, so why are they still asking the type? I thought it might’ve referred to which world region—remember there are North American versions of the trim, Euro, Pacific, etc. Anyway, like AJ said, it’s near-100% certain it doesn’t matter.
Current: ‘16 Guzzi V7 II Stone, ‘78 BMW R80/7

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Offline notbenh

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2024, 04:09:42 PM »
Awesome thanks AJ and Dirk for the clarification

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2024, 04:09:42 PM »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2024, 05:51:33 AM »

-AJ

Where would one find a breakdown of that list?

I ain't think I've ever seen (or maybe ever looked).

But it could actually matter in this case because starting with the V7III the rear fender mounting changed and some models use a subframe and an abbreviated fender while others use the old style larger fender. I believe this means mounting bolts vary back there which might affect accessory/bag mounting.

I would see if selecting any of the sub models gives different accessory part numbers before ordering.

EDIT - poked around and though I'm still curious about the sub-model designations it doesn't look like they mean anything in this application - the SysBagWPs, Urbans, Legends, and Urban Topcase all appear to have the identical part numbers whether you select KV, KV1, or LD, LD1.

On and KV or LD vs KV1 or LD1 appear to be 2017-18 vs 2018-20  (and I don't recall ANY changes to chassis mid 18 year, though again, who knows).

EDIT the EDIT - If I go to AF1 racing and look up OEM parts they have only ONE parts catalog for V7III Stone 2017-2020, though they also have a separate one for the 2019-20 Night Pack, and another for the 2020 Stone S - but none of them fit the Motech website pattern. Though under the V7 Special they have one listed as 2017-20 and a separate one listed as 2019-20. Most of the other specials like the 2018 Carbon Dark or the 2018 Milano, have just one catalog.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 06:37:37 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online jhem68

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2024, 07:44:50 AM »
When checking on a Corbin seat I noticed the model they sell for the V7lll fits all BUT "those with the aftermarket aluminum fenders". Does this refer to the Milano? So perhaps no chassis change but rather a difference in stock mounting brackets that are not compatible with some offered accessories.?

So, it is good to be cautious beforehand. Good question from the OP. Hopefully someone can find a more definitive answer.

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2024, 07:55:32 AM »
When checking on a Corbin seat I noticed the model they sell for the V7lll fits all BUT "those with the aftermarket aluminum fenders". Does this refer to the Milano? So perhaps no chassis change but rather a difference in stock mounting brackets that are not compatible with some offered accessories.?

So, it is good to be cautious beforehand. Good question from the OP. Hopefully someone can find a more definitive answer.

My Corbin fits fine on my MKI V7 Stone, but I still haven't managed to get it to latch on my V7III Carbon Dark. I'm thinking of seeing if I can move the latch mechanism next. I've already shimmed down the post on the seat and ground the crap out of the pan where it hits the fender bolts (that I've shortened as well for more clearance). I ride with it unlatched, but I don't love that. I did lose a registration/insurance card that was tucked underneath one day. And I'd really prefer if it was secure. But I guess it technically "works" sorta.

EDIT - ahhh, looking at the website they say specifically "Vintage Gunfighter for 2013 - 2020
Moto-Guzzi V7 Special, Stone & Scrambler" - I THINK those are the models I was referring to before with the full fenders. The OTHER models (like my Carbon Dark) don't necessarily have an aluminum fender (like mine is Carbon Fiber) but they all have an ABBREVIATED rear fender that mounts to a sub-frame the others don't use. Like I said in my earlier post that means additional bolts and differences in the mounts. That's most of what is interfering with the Corbin on my V7III Carbon Dark.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 08:00:41 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2024, 08:02:14 AM »

I’m confused why it wouldn’t fit on a bike with the aluminum mudguards installed. They’re so much smaller than the robust plastic ones. Unless it has something to do with that bracket in the rear (far left):

Previous: ‘15 Ural Gear Up, ‘77 Kawasaki KZ400 Special, ‘78 Honda CX500S, ‘80 Honda CX500D, ‘11 Suzuki TU250X

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2024, 08:05:08 AM »
I’m confused why it wouldn’t fit on a bike with the aluminum mudguards installed. They’re so much smaller than the robust plastic ones. Unless it has something to do with that bracket in the rear (far left):

I literally just described it twice (once each in my last two posts).

SUB-FRAME.

Look outboard and behind the latch bracket.

The seat fouls the bolts and maybe even the frame itself.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2024, 08:13:08 AM »
I literally just described it twice (once each in my last two posts).

SUB-FRAME.

Look outboard and behind the latch bracket.

The seat fouls the bolts and maybe even the frame itself.

Ouch. Ok. I thought you were referring to the license plate holder subframe bar/hoop. Because that has nothing to do with mounting the aluminum fenders.

I’ll see myself out. [bows, exit stage right]

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2024, 08:19:25 AM »
Ouch. Ok. I thought you were referring to the license plate holder subframe bar/hoop. Because that has nothing to do with mounting the aluminum fenders.

I am referring to that and it does HAVE SOMETHING TO DO with those fenders (unless the accessory one mounts differently but it doesn't look so from the pic you posted). Because you can't mount the tail light to the abbreviated fender you need that sub-frame (bar/hoop) if you have the abbreviated fender. And that frame/bar/hoop seems to be fouling the seat.

It's really close and so frustrating that I haven't been able to get it to latch yet, but I haven't tried that hard (other than grinding away more of the seat pan than I wanted to and finally deciding that's a dead end).
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2024, 08:36:02 AM »
[re-enters stage right after botching his cue]

Because you can't mount the tail light to the abbreviated fender you need that sub-frame (bar/hoop) if you have the abbreviated fender. And that frame/bar/hoop seems to be fouling the seat.

You can’t, you say!
…or, you haven’t tried…like this fellar had:

image hosting service

Nabbed it from the following article:

https://www.andardemoto.pt/test-drives/18208-moto-guzzi-v7-ii-kit-scrambler-x-scrambler-ducati-urban-enduro-uma-questao-de-es/2-moto-guzzi-v7-ii-kit-scrambler-estilo-retro/

Spied that a few years ago and kept mental note. I’m planning to pull the tail light off and mount it to the fender as well, but seeing if I can keep the subframe hoop attached (tail light would tuck behind the hoop and I’d grind down the plate holder portion). Sure, these aluminum fenders aren’t the most rigid things, but how many of us small block owners really dive into seeing what we can get away with beyond factory options and official aftermarket parts? I’m happy to be that guinea pig (no surprise).
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 08:42:24 AM by Dirk_S »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2024, 08:41:21 AM »
[re-enters stage right after forgetting his cue]

You can’t, you say! …or, you haven’t tried…like this fellar had:

Nabbed it from this article:

https://pin.it/5iOLaBXUL

Spied that a few years ago and kept mental note. I’m planning to pull the tail light off and mount it to the fender as well, but seeing if I can keep the subframe hoop attached (tail light would tuck behind the hoop and I’d grind down the plate holder portion). Sure, these aluminum fenders aren’t the most rigid things, but how many of us small block owners really dive into seeing what we can do beyond factory options? I’m happy to be that guinea pig (no surprise).

Sorry, I'll edit my phrase to "it's not designed to" or "you're not supposed to" - probably for durability or mounting angle, I dunno, not really my point anyway.

I THINK that's the logic behind how Corbin is advertising.

They only list the Stone/Special and interestingly enoug Scrambler - not Racer, not sure why since that had the full fender too.

Listing it that way excludes all the other V7III models that come with the sub-frame/abbreviated fender.

I can only surmise (as I've never seen the uninstalled complete accessory aluminum fender kit) that they are using that exclusion to catch anyone who has added the subframe.

Since that should literally be the only chassis difference back there. Unless that seat latch/seat mounting bracket is actually different on those with the sub-frame and it was correlation and not causation. I'm open to having missed that.

But I assume you don't change that latch/seat mounting bracket with the aluminum fender accessory kit. (Does that still exist even, off to search for that).

EDIT - so far all I could find was a PDF of the accessory guide for the V7III - they don't show a "aluminum" fender kit per se. But they list the fenders as being available for various models and THEN they list the "license plate holder homologation kit" which shows the sub frame hoop and they say goes with the aluminum fender though they don't say "required".

PDF:

https://wlassets.motoguzzi.com/wlassets/moto-guzzi/us/accessories_catalog/2020/US_Moto_Guzzi_accessories/original/US_Moto_Guzzi_accessories.pdf

« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 08:55:05 AM by Kev m »
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2024, 08:55:40 AM »
I dono how pertinent it is but many years ago when I got my first Ambassador, the tech rep for Maserati Moto Guzzi told me that the Italians believed Americans liked names on motorcycles when I asked why the different models had the names they did. It always stuck in my mind as a curiosity but doesn’t help decode the designations.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online Dirk_S

• www.dirkshearer.com
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Doodler of doodles
    • www.DirkShearer.com
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2024, 09:24:37 AM »
They only list the Stone/Special and interestingly enough Scrambler - not Racer, not sure why since that had the full fender too...

The racer came with upgraded shocks, right? Perhaps  the Corbin couldn’t clear the gas reservoir?

…Since that should literally be the only chassis difference back there. Unless that seat latch/seat mounting bracket is actually different on those with the sub-frame and it was correlation and not causation. I'm open to having missed that.

I don’t recall changing out the seat latch, nor do any of the marketing pics show it (side note: the black plate that THAT mounts to is welded to the rear frame rail. I’m not sure that it always was welded in previous iterations, and earlier small blocks didn’t have that plate; I’ve since grinded off the welds to make that black plate removable for when the day arrives that I actually get around to creating that stinkin’ solo seat).

Here’s a look at the stock fender, aftermarket fender (this one appears to be painted plastic or maybe plastic, but same shape as the long aluminum ones), and aftermarket license plate hoop, side-by-side:

The plastic mudguard utilizes the same side mounting bolts as the subframe hoop accessory (highlighted in green); that’s why I didn’t think the hoop had anything to do with fitment issues, although looking at it again, the hoop looks like it might stick out laterally a bit farther than the plastic.

I was thinking the mudguard rear mounting bracket that connects to the black frame plate (highlighted in yellow) might’ve been the hangup.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2024, 09:27:25 AM by Dirk_S »

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2024, 09:27:55 AM »
The racer came with upgraded shocks, right? Perhaps  the Corbin couldn’t clear the gas reservoir?

I don’t recall changing out the seat latch, nor do any of the marketing pics show it (side note: the black plate that THAT mounts to is welded to the rear frame rail. I’m not sure that it always was welded in previous iterations, and earlier small blocks didn’t have that plate; I’ve since grinded off the welds to make that black plate removable for when the day arrives that I actually get around to creating that stinkin’ solo seat).

Here’s a look at the stock fender, aftermarket fender (this one’s plastic, but same shape as the long aluminum ones), and aftermarket license plate hoop, side-by-side:

The plastic mudguard utilizes the same side mounting bolts as the subframe hoop accessory (highlighted in green); that’s why I didn’t think the hoop had anything to do with fitment issues, although looking at it again, the hoop looks like it might stick out laterally a bit farther than the plastic.

I was thinking the mudguard rear mounting bracket that connects to the black frame plate (highlighted in yellow) might’ve been the hangup.

Yeah on the Racer shocks.

I haven't measured but judging just from seat interference the sub-frame and/or sub-frame bolts stick out more than my MKI plastic fender assembly. IIRC there are either more bolts on the sub-frame, or it's just they are not covered by the plastic fender.
Current Fleet

13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here