Author Topic: Dr Blake mysteries  (Read 4659 times)

oldbike54

Dr Blake mysteries
« on: April 07, 2017, 10:11:53 PM »
 Absolutely no Guzzi content . Nada , zilch , zero , so if that matters don't read this .

OK you Ozzies , I've become hooked on the Australian show The Dr Blake Mysteries . Really well written and acted , set in the late 1940's  or very early 1950's. Here is my question , what are those lovely cars , especially the little sedan driven by the lead character . Are these Holdens , or some other brands ?

Dusty

Offline Mackers

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Five miles or 1000ft...how hard can it be?
    • Motoguzzimackers Moto Guzzi Diaries
Re: Dr Blake mysteries
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2017, 11:09:36 PM »
Dusty, I think he drives his father's car, a 1934 Standard.  Made in England.  Holden production started in 1948.
Raymond Massey:  "No doctor, I think this calls for something special. 
                  I think, perhaps, the Melbourne Method!".

Peter Lorre:  "Not the Melbourne Method!!  Please!!"

- Arsenic and Old Lace, 1944.

('06 Breva 1100 and '02 Cali EV - '01 Metal Stone deceased).

beetle

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2017, 11:17:04 PM »
Hate to tell you Dusty, the shows been axed. Enjoy it while you can.

oldbike54

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 11:34:34 PM »
Dusty, I think he drives his father's car, a 1934 Standard.  Made in England.  Holden production started in 1948.

OK , thought I heard them refer to it as a 1937 Standard , cool little car . Was that common import into OZ ?

Hate to tell you Dusty, the shows been axed. Enjoy it while you can.

Just great , so little TV is any good , and what is gets axed  :angry: At least we are a year behind over here , so there are still some episodes to be enjoyed .

Dusty

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2017, 11:34:34 PM »

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2017, 04:04:19 AM »
OK , thought I heard them refer to it as a 1937 Standard , cool little car . Was that common import into OZ ?

Just great , so little TV is any good , and what is gets axed  :angry: At least we are a year behind over here , so there are still some episodes to be enjoyed .

Dusty

Yes we got all sorts of britsh crap boxes mainly because the steering wheel was on the correct side and something about the Commonwealth, a lot of them were sent out in crates and assembled locally. The lead actor many moons ago started in Nieghbours alongside one Miss K.Minouge from memory he latter upgrades to a brand new for the time period FE Holden Special Sedan.

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2017, 05:48:39 AM »
Yes we got all sorts of britsh crap boxes mainly because the steering wheel was on the correct side and something about the Commonwealth, a lot of them were sent out in crates and assembled locally. The lead actor many moons ago started in Nieghbours alongside one Miss K.Minouge from memory he latter upgrades to a brand new for the time period FE Holden Special Sedan.
[/quot

Correct side? This all started when some limey, sat in an American car, admiring himself in a mirror.
The reflection fooled him.
FYI this is sarcasm  :rolleyes:

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2017, 08:51:31 AM »

Correct side? This all started when some limey, sat in an American car, admiring himself in a mirror.
The reflection fooled him.
FYI this is sarcasm  :rolleyes:

More likely when a frenchman with shortmans disease decided as he was left handed his armies would march so their left hand side would face the enemy. :P

Offline Robert

• Gosling
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2017, 09:26:31 AM »
I saw a 1957 Pontiac.

And I think a reference to 1959 on a sign during some scene, maybe an election.

One BSA motorcycle.

Wife finished it all on Netflix in about 2 weeks.  I kept getting captured by the first few minutes of a new episode.

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2017, 09:32:09 AM »
Rake is a pretty good one too, not the USA version but the Australian one.

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

oldbike54

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2017, 09:51:58 AM »
Yeah , let me correct my assertion that the series was set in 1950 , after all , duh , one of the shows was centered on the death of a rock and roller  :laugh:

Anyway , sad to hear it is done , very well done , but probably not enough car chases and fancy computer stuff for a modern audience  :sad:

Dusty

Offline Robert

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2017, 02:38:49 PM »
not enough car chases = = =

One day the fat old guy hot-rodded his Roll Royce across town.  Pushed it pretty good.

Closest to a car chase.  They had a special driver, I'm sure.

Offline spmoto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2017, 03:27:15 PM »
Well, sorry to hear that the program has been axed. My bride and I are hooked as well and if the story line ever lags there's always Jean to keep my interest piqued :wink:

Offline Mr Pootle

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: April 08, 2017, 04:13:18 PM »
To bring some motorbike content into the thread, Triumph made both cars and bikes. The two branches separated in 1936, and in 1944 the Triumph Car Company was bought by Standard. The company became Standard-Triumph, the saloons being badged Standard and the sports cars Triumph. Eventually the Standard name was dropped.
The company became part of the ill-fated British Leyland conglomeration.
The Triumph name is now owned by some obscure German company that makes both cars and bikes.

Offline RANDM

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: April 08, 2017, 04:15:57 PM »
Don't know how many episodes/seasons you've seen but the latest news
we have is that they filmed a 5th season and will wrap it all up with a
Telemovie.

I'll be sad when it's over too -  best thing McLachlan's done.

Maurie.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 08, 2017, 06:54:33 PM »
Absolutely no Guzzi content . Nada , zilch , zero , so if that matters don't read this .

OK you Ozzies , I've become hooked on the Australian show The Dr Blake Mysteries . Really well written and acted , set in the late 1940's  or very early 1950's. Here is my question , what are those lovely cars , especially the little sedan driven by the lead character . Are these Holdens , or some other brands ?

Dusty
Filmed in my home town...(outside sequences) about 1 km from my old house in Ballarat.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 06:59:54 PM by Huzo »

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2017, 06:57:45 PM »
Just watched the first two episodes, a very good and different type of mystery show.

Dean
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Offline TobyJug

• Hatchling
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2017, 07:44:28 PM »
I have a sad story about a Standard.

My great Uncle bought a new one (a Standard Eight as I recall) in the 50s and kept in good condition for about 30 years.  He sold it to his window cleaner who bought it for his son.  The window cleaner paid for the car but said he'd come and pick it up after he'd been away on holiday.  A few days later the window cleaner's son turned up and asked for the car.  Since it had been paid for and it was for the son my great uncle let him have the car.  A few days after that he had a visit from a policeman asking if it was his car (the registration was still in his name).  It turned out that the son had wrecked the car already.  After 30+ years of being cared for- it ended up wrecked like that.

2014 Norge GT 8V

beetle

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2017, 07:46:08 PM »
Fans here are very upset with Aunty for canning it.

pete roper

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2017, 08:07:31 PM »
Like a lot of recent ABC productions, especially the historical ones, it was very well produced with a lot of attention to historical detail but I find Dr. Blake particularly suffers from trying to impose contemporary social mores on people in a historical setting. While understandable I find it slightly irritating. The Australia of the 1950's was a very, very different place to the country of today.

Just my 5c

Pete

PS The current crop of 'Dramas' being produced by Auntie all seem to involve inner city lawyers or barristers, have absurd plot lines and no humour. It would seem though that these are 'Flavour du Jour' at the moment. I hope the moment passes soon!
« Last Edit: April 08, 2017, 08:10:18 PM by pete roper »

Offline Lumpy Idle

• Gosling
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2017, 03:42:20 PM »
there is some great stuff coming out of Oz and making it to public tv here in the states.  we have; the phryne fisher lead character in Miss Fisher's murder mysteries (a bit cornball but good to see a feisty female lead), doctor blake (now on netflix streaming) and my fave Mr. and Mrs. Murder. i look forward to more. all of these shows are so much cleverer and more interesting than the standard bruckheimer fare that saturates our broadcast airwaves. mr. and mrs. murder is fun because it is all tongue in cheek and the two actors are great together. i believe both miss fisher and mr. and mrs. murder are no longer being produced.  they could bring these shows to u.s. broadcast tv and have a large audience because we are starved on broadcast tv  for something that is in any way clever.
'97 1100Sporti
'76 850T3

"You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter."
--- Anonymous

Offline Robert

• Gosling
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2017, 03:49:47 PM »
On broadcast TV, for fiction I watch the news.  But it is not clever.

Offline Lumpy Idle

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2017, 04:09:22 PM »
HAH! agreed!
'97 1100Sporti
'76 850T3

"You cannot successfully determine beforehand which side of the bread to butter."
--- Anonymous

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: April 10, 2017, 11:11:08 PM »
My wife and I are just starting to watch the Dr. Blake show. So far so good!

We just finished watching A Place to Call Home. Very enjoyable. Sort of an Australian Downton Abbey. The Miss Fisher Murders is also a great show.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

oldbike54

« Reply #23 on: April 10, 2017, 11:31:28 PM »
 Not Australian , but I'm working thru the "Last of the Summer Wine" for about the 4th time , still a few that have been missed . Why can't American TV be this understated and intimate ?

Dusty

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: April 11, 2017, 01:44:24 AM »
My Dad used to talk about Standard 8s where 8 was the horsepower of the engine.

If you wanted the performance model you went for a Standard 12  :cool: :cool:  :copcar:
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #25 on: April 11, 2017, 05:57:54 AM »
Dr Blake not on Netflix in NZ yet, we seem to miss out on a few good programs. Will keep an eye out for it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: April 11, 2017, 06:18:09 AM »
My Dad used to talk about Standard 8s where 8 was the horsepower of the engine.

If you wanted the performance model you went for a Standard 12  :cool: :cool:  :copcar:

In the UK cars were taxed on their rated hp, thus the vehicles that average joe would purchase had pretty low HP ratings.

Offline KiwiKev

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #27 on: April 11, 2017, 06:49:06 AM »
Morris 8 was a good example - wouldn't pull a proverbial hen off its nest. Plus the vacuum wipers made it interesting to drive in the rain

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline jbell

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Some progress
« Reply #28 on: April 11, 2017, 03:32:15 PM »
Oh, well, don't watch Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries. (I might have the name incorrect)  It's so good, it's bound to be axed prematurely.  If you do, prepare to fall in love all over again.
'75 Ducati 860 GT  On the road
'76 Guzzi T3   Future project
'78 Guzzi G5  Current project
'81 Guzzi G5  Organ donor
'92 BMW K75RT  On the road
'16 Triumph Thruxton R  "Holy Moly"  Gone but not forgotten, sigh.

"Be yourself, everyone else is taken".......Oscar Wilde

twowings

« Reply #29 on: April 11, 2017, 08:13:08 PM »
When you compare the original 'Top Gear' to the sad, limp American version, it's easy to see how they 'dumbed' it down for the US audience...a shame...

Just for you, Dusty:

https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/07/british-tv-streaming-service-britbox-launches-in-u-s/

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here