Author Topic: 2014 MG California Custom  (Read 610 times)

Offline Postalpaul

• New Egg
2014 MG California Custom
« on: April 23, 2022, 08:52:05 AM »
Good Morning
New to me California( just bought it 4 weeks ago :-(   )  throwing the dreaded triangle of shame on the dash. Downloaded Guzzi Diag.  Connected successfully to it and archived the eeprom. Followed the steps on the tutorial about clearing the learned values and relearning the throttle and handle . After that when I start the bike, the rpm surges up and down around the 2-3000 rpm range. The following events have loaded in the fault menu ; P0744, P0165 and P0185 . I have already noticed the cooling fan not cycling on the oil cooler, traces that down to a bad temperature sensor (on order ) . The P0744 event states maybe a clutch switch problem ? What exactly is the throttle and handle learn procedure after the next start cycle , I let the bike run about 5-8 minutes last night to possibly see if it would correct the odd idle(surging ) .I realize this is a lot of information at once , so any help or advice from the audience would be much appreciated.

Offline Postalpaul

• New Egg
Re: 2014 MG California Custom
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2022, 11:54:58 AM »
Looks like my clutch switch is funky.
Anyone have a after market part number for just the switch ?

Thank you for looking

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2022, 04:50:59 PM »
the po165 code indicates that the handle self learning was not carried out , you need to do the reset procedure again , first handle self learner you then need to exit and then re enter the program and perform throttle self learner . With handle reset not performed you will get a surging idle and urgent service warning. some of these early 1400s had bad demand sensors that would cause the dreaded triangle and limp mode. The diagnostics would show a p0155 code . I think your issue is related to the clutch switch p0744 code which is a know fault on some and will throw the service warning. Not sure of any aftermarket switches but AF1 should have a replacement oem. 

Offline Postalpaul

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2022, 07:15:54 PM »
the po165 code indicates that the handle self learning was not carried out , you need to do the reset procedure again , first handle self learner you then need to exit and then re enter the program and perform throttle self learner . With handle reset not performed you will get a surging idle and urgent service warning. some of these early 1400s had bad demand sensors that would cause the dreaded triangle and limp mode. The diagnostics would show a p0155 code . I think your issue is related to the clutch switch p0744 code which is a know fault on some and will throw the service warning. Not sure of any aftermarket switches but AF1 should have a replacement oem.

Thank you very much for the reply !

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2022, 07:15:54 PM »

Offline ED1979

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2023, 09:43:01 PM »
14 1400 custom, could tell clutch switch was broken, plunger would not extend. Bought a replacement micro switch and wired the same as the way the wires came out of the original switch. Tested with the guzzidiag and clutch lever released status =1, lever pulled in status=2. Where can I get a list of status codes for the different measurement options?

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here