Author Topic: Any US National rally?  (Read 1260 times)

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
Any US National rally?
« on: June 09, 2023, 02:10:48 PM »
I search the National site, and did couple google and duck duck searches and not seeing any posted info for a Guzzi US National rally for this summer, are they a thing of the past?
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Any US National rally?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2023, 02:38:48 PM »
For now, it looks like it.  Last one was in NH with Randy Teft sponsoring it.  Huge commitment on your personal finances.  Best you can do is break even.  I flew in from Kona and helped out.  All the bling in the grab bag give-out, caterer, campgrounds deposits.  Loads on your personal funds.  I paid for the rally and volunteered.   :tongue:

Best you can do is go to a state rally.  WI is good one.  OH, MoKan, GRIT, GRIN etc.  At the GRIN a Moto Guzzi is given away every year.   :thumb:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2023, 03:55:29 PM »
So true.  Everyone just shows up at a rally, and most have no clue as to what it takes to put one together.  Logistically and financially.  And still there are those that bitch about location, fees, food, etc.  Fact is it’s still an inexpensive weekend regardless.  Then there are the cheapskates trying to get over. “But I’m only here for the day”, or “I’m staying in a hotel” to beat the rally fee, yet they’re first on the food line.  It takes commitment to put one together.  Randy’s (NH) already done two nationals in five years.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2023, 03:59:25 PM by Cam3512 »
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2023, 03:58:01 PM »
Y'ep.  Should've seen his house.  We assembled the goody bags in the living room.  Fortunately he's retired and Natalie supported him.   :thumb: :thumb:  Job well done and they didn't lose money.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2023, 03:58:01 PM »

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2023, 03:58:33 PM »
For now, it looks like it.  Last one was in NH with Randy Teft sponsoring it.  Huge commitment on your personal finances.  Best you can do is break even.  I flew in from Kona and helped out.  All the bling in the grab bag give-out, caterer, campgrounds deposits.  Loads on your personal funds.  I paid for the rally and volunteered.   :tongue:

Best you can do is go to a state rally.  WI is good one.  OH, MoKan, GRIT, GRIN etc.  At the GRIN a Moto Guzzi is given away every year.   :thumb:

The last National I attended was the one in Malibu, CA, certainly more than 10 years ago! :shocked: :huh: :rolleyes:

Tom's right about a personal commitment on one's personal finances... That's why the N.A.R. (Not-A-Rally) theme of Guzzi gatherings became more popular over the years.  People just show up at a hotel / campsite and they are all on their own...

When I was working full-time, I did not care, but now that I am retired, I am on a budget / fixed income...different story...So, now,  no more Cottonwood, AZ...no more Lake Henshaw, CA...etc.   :sad:

Thankfully, Matt & friends put on a GREAT annual Guzzi Rally at Datil, NM and it usually draws about 75-80 Guzzi's every year...and YES, they manage to give away a Guzzi to some lucky winner every year! :cool: :boozing: :thumb: :bow:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Cam3512

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2023, 04:01:26 PM »
Y'ep.  Should've seen his house.  We assembled the goody bags in the living room.  Fortunately he's retired and Natalie supported him.   :thumb: :thumb:  Job well done and they didn't lose money.

Truth be told, I go just to hang with Natalie.  Don’t tell Randy, he’s big and sleeveless…
Cam in NJ
'67 Stornello Scrambler
'71 Ambo Police
'74 V7 Sport
‘20 V85TT

http://mgnocnj.forumotion.com

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2023, 04:34:11 PM »
Truth be told, I go just to hang with Natalie.  Don’t tell Randy, he’s big and sleeveless…
:grin: :grin:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2023, 07:06:29 AM »
It takes a lot to put on a rally. I have hosted gatherings of up to 10 riders where I had to find the location, plan rides, lunch stops, rain contingencies etc. and that was a lot of effort. Can’t imagine coordinating a National Rally.

I went to the Road Glide national rally in May. After expenses $20,000 was donated to a local charity. Probably 100 companies donated to the raffle with prizes ranging from $10 in value to a couple thousand dollars in value.

This is just for a Road Glide forum. With an attendance of 200 to over 300 bike’s depending on location.

All run by volunteers who put together a presentation and compete to get the rally in their area.

We know two years in advance where it will be so they have the time to work out all the details.

The fact that there are so many regional or state gatherings of Moto Guzzi enthusiasts is very cool. My work schedule is such that I’ve only made one gathering in Kentucky, but it was a blast with a lot of motorcycle enthusiasts to talk to.

When I had a Kawasaki Voyager XII I was in the American Voyager Association and they had regional and national rallies that were enjoyable like a family gathering.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2023, 11:52:50 AM »
So true.  Everyone just shows up at a rally, and most have no clue as to what it takes to put one together.  Logistically and financially.  And still there are those that bitch about location, fees, food, etc.  Fact is it’s still an inexpensive weekend regardless.  Then there are the cheapskates trying to get over. “But I’m only here for the day”, or “I’m staying in a hotel” to beat the rally fee, yet they’re first on the food line.  It takes commitment to put one together.  Randy’s (NH) already done two nationals in five years.

Yeah, I remember the NY National about 2002 when some people wrongly claimed that Keith was making money off of the rally.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Travlr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2023, 12:30:25 PM »
  Then there are the cheapskates trying to get over. “But I’m only here for the day”, or “I’m staying in a hotel” to beat the rally fee, yet they’re first on the food line. 

When JJ and I were running the Arizona rally we had a guy show up.  He didn't want to pay a rally fee, he didn't want to pay $5 for the "all you can eat" Friday night pizza dinner.  He asked if he could pay $1, hang around and have 1 slice of pizza.   We were speechless.

Mike
1991 Moto Guzzi LeMans 5
1977 BMW R100S

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2023, 01:53:11 PM »
I stopped at the NH rally for a few hours on my way to VT.  I paid the rally fee and it was so worth it. Great people and great vibes.  I didn’t stay over or eat as I got shy and everyone already seemed to know everyone else.  That was on me though. I didn’t realize how much work it is.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2023, 03:21:59 PM »
I talked to Wayne about this a few years back. Have a Natl here at TWO camp. Most of the work would be taken care of from the Lodge & grounds, restaurant in Lodge. Lots of room. Bill the owner said 600 would be doable but pretty much max. Line up the extra from normal food to order would have to be set up $$$.
Don't think it'll ever happen. Just pipe dreams to talk about. BUT there is a rally fund set up, just don't know if that would apply.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline DirtFarmer

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2023, 06:01:56 PM »
How come no mention of Council Grove?

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2023, 08:26:05 PM »
There may not be a KS rally anymore, I thought it stopped.
Edit: Looked Only Mo-Kan  for out there listed.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2023, 08:31:49 PM by guzzisteve »
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2023, 07:55:14 AM »
Bobs Rally fund generously supported our last year and this year’s Wisconsin Rally.

Offline Luap McKeever

• Owner, WildGuzzi.com
  • Administrator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Lead, follow, or get out of the way!
    • Wildgoose Chase Moto Guzzi
« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2023, 04:12:51 PM »
Wish there was one myself. But, I get it. After hosting for 11 years, it always ended up costing me money. The last year we did it, I went under by about $1K.

Sadly, there's very little incentive to do it and with the economy the way it is these days, it would be even more costly to host.
Founder, Wildguzzi.com (est. 1998)
2021 V85TT Centenario E5
2001 California Special
2001 California EV
2020 Indian Challenger Limited

Offline johnwesley

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: June 12, 2023, 09:57:16 PM »

I saw on FB they held the council grove event. I found out too late to attend. Funny thing is I never say it on any of the calendars. 
2009 cal-vin
2003 cal ev
1985 lemans 1000

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2023, 06:18:13 AM »
I saw on FB they held the council grove event. I found out too late to attend. Funny thing is I never say it on any of the calendars.
Yeah, that was weird. Invitation only?
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2023, 06:22:23 AM »
They're on Facebook ?

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2023, 07:18:50 AM »
There was no mention of CG that I saw on the FB Moto Guzzi owners group.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2023, 07:40:59 AM »

They had the Council Grove deal last week.  Apparently it's double-secret, by invitation, now.  LOL!
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline johnwesley

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: June 30, 2023, 07:19:08 PM »
They had the Council Grove deal last week.  Apparently it's double-secret, by invitation, now.  LOL!

I saw it on fb and asked if it was invitational only. They said no open to all who wanted to come. Maybe next year
2009 cal-vin
2003 cal ev
1985 lemans 1000

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: June 30, 2023, 08:58:22 PM »
I stopped at the NH rally for a few hours on my way to VT.  I paid the rally fee and it was so worth it. Great people and great vibes.  I didn’t stay over or eat as I got shy and everyone already seemed to know everyone else.  That was on me though. I didn’t realize how much work it is.

I met you.  😊  We had a nice visit.  You did some nice work on that bike of yours.

Randy let me use his Cal 1400 Audace.  Fun bike.  I flew into Logan and he picked me up. 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here