Author Topic: V100 Mandello Merged Threadfest  (Read 109643 times)

Offline rschrum

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: V100 Mandello Merged Threadfest
« Reply #1140 on: February 01, 2023, 09:32:10 PM »
Seems the cams have to come out to change the valve shims. Radiator off, front chest cover off and pin the crank. According to Roper.
15 GRISO
00 ZX12r
07 Tuono Factory
01 ZRX 1200R
19 Monster 1200R
2012 MV Agusta Brutale 1090R
08 Ducati s4rs Tricolore
22 Indian FTR Championship
Central Iowa

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1141 on: February 01, 2023, 09:41:07 PM »
Seems the cams have to come out to change the valve shims. Radiator off, front chest cover off and pin the crank. According to Roper.

what is the mileage interval?
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1142 on: February 02, 2023, 05:50:17 AM »
what is the mileage interval?

First valve adjustment is at 15,000 miles.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1143 on: February 02, 2023, 11:34:55 AM »
First valve adjustment is at 15,000 miles.

That's easily a couple of years of riding before going to the shop.  Unless you do the work yourself and order the shims as needed.  My guess is the a majority of riders will have the shops do it.  A shame since the valve covers are out in the open that all the other stuff needs to come off.  Perhaps a clearance check can be done simply otherwise (and only to change the shims would require all that)?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2023, 11:37:02 AM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #1143 on: February 02, 2023, 11:34:55 AM »

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1144 on: February 02, 2023, 12:25:48 PM »
That's easily a couple of years of riding before going to the shop.  Unless you do the work yourself and order the shims as needed.  My guess is the a majority of riders will have the shops do it.  A shame since the valve covers are out in the open that all the other stuff needs to come off.  Perhaps a clearance check can be done simply otherwise (and only to change the shims would require all that)?

Probably worth asking on a Aprilia site as they are using the same valve setup on one or more bikes.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #1145 on: February 05, 2023, 07:54:20 AM »
Very sorry if this has been posted/asked before but what is the otd pricing looking like on these at the moment?  The recent Guzzi specials on leftover models is pretty much too tempting to pass up but maybe I should wait.  Still deciding.  Watched this yesterday but it’s only “bad” things in title, vastly more positive things and tons of praise.  Not that you should listen to LCR, but he is amusing.  https://youtu.be/1UAqDipHKm4
2020 T120 Bonneville

Online rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #1146 on: February 06, 2023, 07:55:57 PM »

Yeah, and if they use quality shims/buckets/cams/etc., a person might check it at 15,000 and find it needs no adjustment, which is not unusual on other modern motorcycles.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1147 on: February 06, 2023, 10:36:33 PM »
Yeah, and if they use quality shims/buckets/cams/etc., a person might check it at 15,000 and find it needs no adjustment, which is not unusual on other modern motorcycles.

dunno about that , particularly the first service.  I have suspicion that some shops take the cash and never crack a valve cover.  When you read forums, half the riders say the valves were all still in spec and then the others say they need 4 shims..........jus doesn't add up to me.  My Duc was the first bike I've owned that requires shims (16).  It needed 4 on first adjust, took it to an independent shop.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 09:15:03 AM by LowRyter »
John L 

Online Clifton

• No car is as fun to drive as any motorcycle is to ride.
  • Gosling
« Reply #1148 on: February 07, 2023, 08:24:46 AM »
..... I have suspicion that some shops take the cash and never crack a valve cover.....

Given that they are paid (and we charged) the same whether the check is actually done or not, I suspect this is often the case.
24 Stelvio
21 V85TT
22 Goldwing
20 XT250
14 CB1100
93 R100R

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #1149 on: February 07, 2023, 08:30:09 AM »
Shame you folks have such horrible dealership experiences.  Gotta say I've never been exposed to that sort of treatment.
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1150 on: February 07, 2023, 08:56:13 AM »
dunno about that , particularly the first service.  I have suspicion that some shops take the cash and never crack a valve cover.  When you read roums, half the riders say the valves were all still in spec and then the others say they need 4 shims..........jus doesn't add up to me.  My Duc was the first bike I've owned that requires shims (16).  It needed 4 on first adjust, took it to an independent shop.

Last couple of Aprilia checks I have done on my bike it hasn't needed anything valve train wise at least. The much shorter actuation length means a lot less material and mechanical points for movement.

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1151 on: February 07, 2023, 09:33:39 AM »
My point about all this is just the traffic I've read on several forums.  So far as valve adjustments, it seems that half the folks report zero and the other half need a number of them (more than one or two).  Perhaps I have a suspicious mind?  But how would anyone know?

I'm just posing a question.  Like everyone else, I've had ups and downs with service guys over 50 years of riding.  When I find a good service tech, I like to keep him.  I know that dealers go through lots of techs and the consumer usually only talks to the service writer.

So far as a new bikes and dealers:

1) when accepting a bike at a dealer, have them set the suspension sag for you while sitting on the bike on a shopstand.  Do a test tide and bring it back to them if necessary.

2)  purchasing a new bike under warranty, it's usually a good idea to have them perform the maintenance during the warranty period.  It makes the dealer happy and protects for warranty claims.

3) after the warranty period, go your trusted independent tech. Usually the valve adjustment interval is out of the warranty period unless you ride a lot.  Even out of the warranty period, it's good to keep the receipts of work done.  For self service, I like to take photo with my phone of the mileage and oil cans and filter.  You never know, if you have a problem that you might have 1% chance of "good will".
John L 

Online Clifton

• Gosling
« Reply #1152 on: February 07, 2023, 03:23:24 PM »

.... purchasing a new bike under warranty, it's usually a good idea to have them perform the maintenance during the warranty period.  It makes the dealer happy and protects for warranty claims.
....after the warranty period, go your trusted independent tech. Usually the valve adjustment interval is out of the warranty period unless you ride a lot.

Maintenance ? As in oil changes, brake function check, lever and side stand check and lube, etc.? Anymore this is essentially what services consist of for the first couple years. Personally when I get a new bike I pick up a couple oil filters at the time and hope to never have to visit the service department during warranty, anytime actually.
24 Stelvio
21 V85TT
22 Goldwing
20 XT250
14 CB1100
93 R100R

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1153 on: February 07, 2023, 05:07:40 PM »
Maintenance ? As in oil changes, brake function check, lever and side stand check and lube, etc.? Anymore this is essentially what services consist of for the first couple years. Personally when I get a new bike I pick up a couple oil filters at the time and hope to never have to visit the service department during warranty, anytime actually.

Yes.  And I change the oil on my Duc twice as often as required. 
John L 

Online Clifton

• Gosling
« Reply #1154 on: February 07, 2023, 07:45:37 PM »
While under warranty, you do or don't change your oil?
24 Stelvio
21 V85TT
22 Goldwing
20 XT250
14 CB1100
93 R100R

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1155 on: February 07, 2023, 08:13:21 PM »
yes Cliff.  I change it, take a photo.  (I bought used, still in warranty)  I've only purchased one new motorcycle in 50 years.  There's another story why I prefer a good used bike.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2023, 08:16:18 PM by LowRyter »
John L 

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #1156 on: February 08, 2023, 06:54:14 PM »
Here's a follow up Cycle World video on the Mandello https://youtu.be/xeCI1hLFvX0

Didn't see it posted but apologies if someone already did so...
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1157 on: February 08, 2023, 07:22:23 PM »
Here's a follow up Cycle World video on the Mandello https://youtu.be/xeCI1hLFvX0

Didn't see it posted but apologies if someone already did so...
Looks and sounds fantastic, would like a ride on one…
The only thing that will really not work for you guys in the ‘States, is the fairing screen is too low. There’ll be guys bolting all sorts of barn doors to the front once the gloss of new ownership wears off.
But whoever gets their butt into gear and churns out a higher screen, will make a LOT of money in the Land of the Free.
Interested to try one.

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
« Reply #1158 on: February 09, 2023, 06:09:26 AM »
Went to see one at SP in Exeter - they had the "posh" one in green and grey and the white one. Loved the white one and the quality of the finish looked amazing, such a classy looking machine. Apart from the price, the only drawbacks to me coming from a B750 would be the seat height and the weight. Seat is 815mm and there is an 800mm option. At present there are no demos to sit on - but they have sold 6 already. When they have a demo I will try it for height.

PS- I dreamed Jill bought the bike for me! Is it an omen, or a portent?  :wink:
Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1159 on: February 09, 2023, 06:50:30 AM »
Was just watching this video. https://youtu.be/1UAqDipHKm4
At 1:20 he gives it a bit of a blip on the stand in neutral and I was surprised after so many people told me the “contra rotating clutch would cancel out torque reaction”, it (predictably) does nothing of the damn sort.
It tilts in the opposite direction as you’d expect, but tilt it most definitely does.
Just sayin’.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2023, 02:36:24 PM by Huzo »

Offline Pescatore

• Gosling
« Reply #1160 on: February 09, 2023, 07:14:33 AM »
I noticed the same, Huzo.
I thought maybe the effect is diminished with the rider on.
I think you'd have to ride it and compare to your V85TT.
2008 Norge 1200
1991 V65GT
1980 CM400T
MGNOC Member
Ascolta sempre e solo musica vera
E cerca sempre se puoi di capire

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1161 on: February 09, 2023, 08:20:15 AM »
Seriously.  Not being a wise guy.  Who cares about the "tilt"?  I know WE don't, but every stupid "reviewer and internet expert" has to mention it like it's a big deal.
That Lamb Chop guy was 100% annoying and the stream of consciousness comments while riding-give it a rest, buddy.

Offline MattP

• Hatchling
« Reply #1162 on: February 09, 2023, 02:06:18 PM »
pretty sure you could pull the valve coves in less than 20 min  I  also don,t think any body on this sight would have a problem operating a feeler gage either then you,d know but I would do this reguardles before and after.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1163 on: February 09, 2023, 02:29:18 PM »
Seriously.  Not being a wise guy.  Who cares about the "tilt"?  I know WE don't, but every stupid "reviewer and internet expert" has to mention it like it's a big deal.
That Lamb Chop guy was 100% annoying and the stream of consciousness comments while riding-give it a rest, buddy.
I’d feel cheated if it didn’t rock with throttle King.
Only reason I took notice was to see if I was full of crap when I maintained against stern opposition, that rotating the clutch the other way would not cancel the tilt.
Was nice to witness… :wink:

Online rtbickel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #1164 on: February 09, 2023, 02:31:31 PM »
Yes, the crankshaft will have a lot more rotating mass than the clutch assembly. 
2020 V85TT
2002 California Special Sport - The Black Widow
2014 California Touring - Stealth (Gone but not forgotten)

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1165 on: February 09, 2023, 02:44:59 PM »
I noticed the same, Huzo.
I thought maybe the effect is diminished with the rider on.
I think you'd have to ride it and compare to your V85TT.
I think it would feel like my V85 with one and a half engines.
That rear mount for the side cases was a bit of a thing, have to do something about that…
I’d like a red one with the Ohlins options, wire wheels with polished rims, analogue gauges, slightly taller clear screen, a “cleaner” rear end, lower seat and no RBW.
If you can find one, have it washed and brought to my tent…

Offline kingoffleece

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1166 on: February 09, 2023, 11:17:55 PM »
Gotcha, bud.  I figured that.  Was more a comment on so many a**clown "reviews" that think they're so darned cleaver.  Here's a news flash.  They're machines.  They move. Next............... ................

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1167 on: February 10, 2023, 06:51:22 AM »
Yes, the crankshaft will have a lot more rotating mass than the clutch assembly.
Often times gyroscopic effect is confused with torque reaction.
Gyro effect is a function of mass and rpm and that is a different discussion. Torque reaction is a function of the mass of the flywheel and clutch assembly combined and their reluctance (if you will) to want to spin up under the cranking motion of the con rods.
It is EXACTLY the same as when your drill bit jams and the drill tries to spin around the bit.
It is true that the more mass the flywheel/crank/clutch has, the more torque reaction will be felt. If the flywheel weighed say 200 kg, the bike would throw itself on it’s side if you gave it a gut full.
The relatively different masses of the flywheel and clutch are not part of the discussion, it is the TOTAL mass that defines the TOTAL inertia and that is what causes the crankcase to try to rotate around the crankshaft and this is what you feel as “torque reaction…”.

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #1168 on: February 10, 2023, 04:55:48 PM »

But whoever gets their butt into gear and churns out a higher screen, will make a LOT of money in the Land of the Free.
Interested to try one.

I'm sure on of the youtube reviewers has said that is as simple as ticking an option box in similar way three seat heights are available.

Offline Peter949

• PeterCaliII
  • Hatchling
  • 84 Cali II
« Reply #1169 on: February 12, 2023, 10:07:17 AM »
It was nice to read on the Facebook V100 group that this new model has a 4.9 liter oil capacity. However this oil is now shared with both the engine and transmission.

Peter

1984  Cali II
Aprilia 125 Sportcity Scooter

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here