Author Topic: DSB error code questions  (Read 381 times)

Offline kotkinjs1

• New Egg
DSB error code questions
« on: October 16, 2021, 12:47:32 PM »
Hi all,

Today during a short ride on my 2012 Norge I got the big SERVICE! and the red triangle. After a bit of panic (I'm not experienced with on wrenching on Guzzis) I got home and started searching for info. Reading some here and there it seems codes 6 and 7 are known common faults that might have more to do with bad connections vs the real problems they warn of. Looking in the service manual DSB 06 is the air temp sensor and 07 is the oil sensor unit. I only get those two, not 7 combined with 8 which seems to be common together? (as an aside, the DSB 6 code is marked off under the M and the 7 on both A and M; I assume those are Active and Memory?)

I know something is now screwy with the air temp sensor because the ambient temp reading on the dash climbed and climbed like it's never done before. Over 100 and I know it's not that hot out. I think it would've kept climbing had I not shut it off when I got home. 

Also the fuel gauge at this same time started acting wonky...dropping down to completely empty with the fuel light coming on but I know I had about half a tank in. I don't know if this is related to the same circuitry/wiring but coincidentally it happened at the same time.

I washed her good yesterday, not with any high pressure spraying but a slower mist and shower and I know some water probably got down to the innards behind the dash etc but that was yesterday and I'd done a short ride then and no faults until today.

The service manual troubleshooting and replacement instructions for both those issues seem pretty straight forward (I know, famous last words) but any ideas? I'd rather try and figure this out myself if I can before I give up and travel to the only dealer near me (not an MG dealer) that says they can work on MGs.

If I (hopefully) get responses please bear with me, I'm semi-capable wrenching on older bikes like early 80s Goldwings where the entire engine and all its plumbing is right there out in the open and easy to access/work on. I've never had any of the fairings off on the Norge and that seems like a big learning curve in and of itself. :(

Offline moto

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Potrebbe andare peggio, potrebbe piovere!
Re: DSB error code questions
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2021, 01:19:25 PM »
Before starting repairs, I would blow some warm air into the dash for several hours. Maybe from a hair dryer, but not so hot that you will do damage. Your wash job probably got enough water mist inside to short something. If your problems go away after doing this, make sure not to do it again.

The fact that you have seemingly unrelated sensors showing error codes at once indicates the dash to me, since that is the thing they have in common.

Moto
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350
Italjet Buccaneer 250 (ex-SSR) -- now sold
credit for 2500+ postings lost in the database meltdown of Feb 9, 2020

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: DSB error code questions
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2021, 01:21:19 PM »
Pull gas tank, air temp sensor is by airbox lid on a Norge(memory). Pull the airbox and oil sender is forward of LH cyl, easy to get out.
Have fun you can do it, pretty strait forward.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here