Author Topic: Medicare, signed up today  (Read 2780 times)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Medicare, signed up today
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2022, 01:29:44 PM »
No one is promised tomorrow and the older you get the closer you are to your last breath. The actor Bob Saget just died at 65.  Steve McQueen died at 50.

You sound like an adherent of Bobby Layne. *

*  “My only request is that I draw my last dollar and my last breath at the exact same moment.”  - BL (UT QB '44-'47)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 01:30:23 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline jpv7

• Gosling
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2022, 02:17:03 PM »
I'm so glad I don't have any of this to worry about in retirement. I feel for you guys. I retired at 57 and never gave health cover a second thought.

Ciao
+1 here.  Jeez what a thing to have to worry about!  Stay healthy guys!

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2022, 02:32:46 PM »
I went out early at reduced benefit . Didn't apply or get spousal benefit until wife was full retirement age.
By her waiting she got half, but it's half of my full retirement benefit, not the reduced rate I get for going out early.

Good to know.  If you die before her, she will get the greater of the two.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Kent in Upstate NY

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2022, 08:52:02 PM »
After my wife passed away in 2017, the SSA said I qualified for a widowers benefit but because I had a pension, I wouldn't get paid. However, because I had qualified, my Medicare enrollment was automatic. Then I found out that my health benefit from my pension would change to an advantage plan with all kinds of extras and that not only would the pension pay for that, but also reimburse me for my Medicare premium. All that without lifting a finger.
Correctional educators don't make the criminals you fear. We make the criminals you fear smarter.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2022, 08:52:02 PM »

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2022, 08:56:06 PM »
+1 here.  Jeez what a thing to have to worry about!  Stay healthy guys!

I don’t consider planing my life a worry, it’s a privilege.  My retirement income when retiring at 62 (several years from now) will unless the world collapses be about $15K a month gross (knock on wood). A small fraction of that will be from Social Security, and it will pay for health care twice over.  When I turn 65 and go onto Medicare I’ll effectively get a raise.  Life is what you make of it.

Offline PeteS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2022, 09:18:18 PM »
I don’t consider planing my life a worry, it’s a privilege.  My retirement income when retiring at 62 (several years from now) will unless the world collapses be about $15K a month gross (knock on wood). A small fraction of that will be from Social Security, and it will pay for health care twice over.  When I turn 65 and go onto Medicare I’ll effectively get a raise.  Life is what you make of it.

Just be aware that what you pay for part B and part D is based on your total income the year before. Not taxable income but all income before taxes. It can get pricey in a hurry. Based on your numbers you are a step above the base rate.

Pete

Offline Tusayan

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2022, 09:27:12 PM »
Good to know.  I’ll look into it.

Sometimes it’s a good idea to sell a rental property, pay off a home mortgage and reduce the cash flow.  But you pay capital gains tax on the sale unless you move there.  Death and taxes, as they say :grin:

Thanks for the tip
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 09:31:51 PM by Tusayan »

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2022, 10:49:48 PM »
Just be aware that what you pay for part B and part D is based on your total income the year before. Not taxable income but all income before taxes. It can get pricey in a hurry. Based on your numbers you are a step above the base rate.

Pete

Yup, I'm maxed for many years to come... and I hit the "donut hole" 6 months in.  Still less then what I paid for insurance before I turned 65 but not by a lot.

PS:  If you travel..... make sure you are covered or know the rules to get service.  My policy covers me anywhere i go in the USA that accepts Medicare. Many policies require you to stay in the "network". 
« Last Edit: January 12, 2022, 10:54:32 PM by John Ulrich »
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2022, 09:59:58 AM »
I said F it and fully retired at 63, too many dead people who never made it in my family. Cobra for 18 months and then I need about 8 months of something before Medicare kicks in.

Not to bring in politics but it's funny how many people think seniors get free healthcare. Based on my wife's Medicare premiums it definitely isn't free.

That said she is on original Medicare and not an advantage plan because of all the travelling we do and plan to do if this virus ever gets under control. Ireland, Scotland, England, and Iceland are all waiting. Along with Canada finally hopefully this August.
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2022, 08:13:56 PM »
I said F it and fully retired at 63, too many dead people who never made it in my family. Cobra for 18 months and then I need about 8 months of something before Medicare kicks in.

Not to bring in politics but it's funny how many people think seniors get free healthcare. Based on my wife's Medicare premiums it definitely isn't free.

That said she is on original Medicare and not an advantage plan because of all the travelling we do and plan to do if this virus ever gets under control. Ireland, Scotland, England, and Iceland are all waiting. Along with Canada finally hopefully this August.

I have the opposite problem.  Too many living too long and requiring long term care.  This is why I have been whittling away at my bucket list items since I turned 40.  When I finally get to retire I will be ready to just putter around the property, and hopefully go for little rides on the Van Van. 

If I retire at 62, I will have to adopt a drastic change in lifestyle so might as well keep working until I can't do the job.  My MIL retired at 80. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2022, 02:13:25 PM »
Don’t forget to investigate Part D options. I was not aware until my PharmD friend informed me that the longer you wait after signing up for A and B the more expensive D premiums become.
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2022, 02:30:49 PM »
really?

Yeah, I've been hearing that crap from people since I was a kid back in the 50's, and I'm retired 11 years now.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline ken farr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: January 16, 2022, 11:11:44 AM »
Very fortunate here. When I retired at 54, my employer continued health care for me and dependents until 65, then they became the secondary.

There is one gotcha. 

In 2019, my wife and her siblings sold the parents home, and divided the proceeds equally.
In Dec. 2021, I turn 65 and begin Medicare on 12/01/2021.
I get a bill for @ $450 from medicare.  I thought, okay, they bill quarterly.
In Jan. 2022, I get another bill for $450.
I look into it, and....they base your premiums on your income tax returns from 2 yrs past. ( 2019)
So, when I get on board in Dec., they look at the 2019 returns, highly inflated due to the sale, and presto, I am top tier.
If I had been born in Jan., I would be the $170 month club.
1 month costs @ $5400.....
I have called, been informed that my call is very important to them, for over an hour, gone by the office, locked up.  Note on door says appointments only, call the your call is very important to us number.
Sent the form for a hearing,....your letter is very important to us.
Not really complaining, ( well actually I am  ), we can pay it, just a heads up in case you decide to sell or otherwise upgrade your income.

Gonna spend the day chasing a little oil leak on the Breva.....( Guzzi content

kjf
ken farr
06 B1100 - click!
Fillmore, Ca.

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: January 16, 2022, 04:18:54 PM »

I have called, been informed that my call is very important to them, for over an hour, gone by the office, locked up.  Note on door says appointments only, call the your call is very important to us number.  Sent the form for a hearing,....your letter is very important to us. Not really complaining, ( well actually I am  ), we can pay it, just a heads up in case you decide to sell or otherwise upgrade your income.

No one mentioned using an insurance broker.  They get paid by the company you go with.  If you buy over the phone you save the company money and have no one to be your advocate.   I had a local broker stop over and we went over many options.  If I have an issue arise, I call him and he or his office runs it thru the system.
It costs you nothing to have "people"

MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #44 on: January 16, 2022, 04:40:28 PM »
No one mentioned using an insurance broker.  They get paid by the company you go with.  If you buy over the phone you save the company money and have no one to be your advocate.   I had a local broker stop over and we went over many options.  If I have an issue arise, I call him and he or his office runs it thru the system.
It costs you nothing to have "people"

YES! This! Professionals are professional for a reason. I work at a rehab hospital and hear all the horror stories from my patients, people crying in their beds, trying to get up and leave because they are so afraid of the bills. An expert who can help you navigate this stuff is so key to success!!!!!
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: January 16, 2022, 06:29:07 PM »
Thanks for this thread. We have to look into options. My wife is going to change jobs, from government to private. I am on her insurance with medicare second. I will have to on Medicare with supplemental insurance. Her new employer has insurance for employees but we will have to pay a fair portion of it. There are several options so I think I need to talk to someone also. I didn't think life after retirement was supposed to be so complicated.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: January 16, 2022, 08:29:41 PM »
My wife had never worked public work she had always been self employed and bought her health care herself with Blue Cross.
A few years ago Blue Cross dropped her and her coverage skyrocket from 250.00 a month to 800.00!
After researching healthcare for private coverage we came across a faith based plan that is obtainable in certain criteria bases.
It just paid the full 950.00 bill for her yearly physical which included an additional procedure for a particular issue that came up and the coverage is up to a million dollars.

If anyone would like to contact me by PM I’ll give you all the information needed to check into it to see if it would fill your families needs.

Dan
« Last Edit: January 16, 2022, 08:55:22 PM by Ncdan »

Offline old head

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: January 17, 2022, 09:33:07 PM »
I am going to see an insurance professional this week.  After talking to a rep at my retirement group, the plan she recommended sounded really good, coverage wise and max out of pocket per year.  However, when I went to Medicare web site, the recommended plan had a 2 out of 5 for getting in to see a provider, not good.  Overall, the plan was 3.5 out of 5, not inspiring.  Went to their web site and they didn't have a doctor within 20 miles of me seemed to be slim for available providers.

Medicare does list every plan available for my state, and Medicare also rates each plan, out of 5.  There were several 5 out of 5 plans with a few way at the bottom.  Several companies I have never heard of.  The things that they cover and deductibles are widely different, its like a maze within a maze.

Well, I will just to wait and see how this progresses, I still have 8 weeks before my 65th birthday, but I would like to get it settled this week if I can so its all done and ready on that day.

Old Head

06 Breva 1100
Hepco-Becker crash bars
Givi A620 screen
Garmin GPS

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2022, 08:39:16 AM »
YES! This! Professionals are professional for a reason. I work at a rehab hospital and hear all the horror stories from my patients, people crying in their beds, trying to get up and leave because they are so afraid of the bills. An expert who can help you navigate this stuff is so key to success!!!!!

But, if they work on commission they are going to push what makes them the most money.
The wife of an acquaintance of mine represents the insurance interests of a state employee system. The state employees think she is an advocate for them, but her bonuses are based on how much she saves the state. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2022, 01:02:47 PM »
Here's a primer to get going with......    https://www.aarp.org/health/medicare-insurance/info-2019/common-medicare-mistakes.html?cmp=EMC-DSO-NLC-WBLTR-MEDICARE--MCTRL-110620-F1-4984403&ET_CID=4984403&ET_RID=43244867&encparam=fTayVAcQYq92jjdIGM95%2bl4FzgFjU8YguAsDAx7adQI%3d

Drugs:  Tier 3 drugs, you have a copay that goes up when you hit the "donut hole" ($4,130 list price of your drugs YTD).  My two asthma medications have a $80 month copay.  When my total drug costs YTD reach $4,130 (not my copays) the monthly cost is $187 until my out of pocket hits $6,550.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 01:04:17 PM by John Ulrich »
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline Hit Man

• Gosling
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2022, 05:07:25 PM »
Yup, I'm maxed for many years to come... and I hit the "donut hole" 6 months in.  Still less then what I paid for insurance before I turned 65 but not by a lot.

PS:  If you travel..... make sure you are covered or know the rules to get service.  My policy covers me anywhere i go in the USA that accepts Medicare. Many policies require you to stay in the "network". 

Do you need a bodyguard? .......(kinda bored anyways)
Griso: -noun  Slang.  ‘hit man’    e.g., to 'grease' someone   Origin: Italiano 2007 (plus Todd Haven-rip)

MGNOC
AMCA
VJMC

2007 Griso  - with the long pushrods
1971 Ambo - long in the tooth
1973 Honda CL350 K5  - long chain
1989 Suzuki Katana 750 (long gone)
1989 Suzuki GS500E (long gone

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #51 on: January 18, 2022, 05:51:10 PM »
Do you need a bodyguard? .......(kinda bored anyways)

I need someone to carry me around 6 car auctions next week.  I need a knee....  :cool:
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Offline Hit Man

• Gosling
« Reply #52 on: January 18, 2022, 05:58:42 PM »
I need someone to carry me around 6 car auctions next week.  I need a knee....  :cool:
Looking forward to the personal coverage, as Barrett-Jackson won't be televised.
Griso: -noun  Slang.  ‘hit man’    e.g., to 'grease' someone   Origin: Italiano 2007 (plus Todd Haven-rip)

MGNOC
AMCA
VJMC

2007 Griso  - with the long pushrods
1971 Ambo - long in the tooth
1973 Honda CL350 K5  - long chain
1989 Suzuki Katana 750 (long gone)
1989 Suzuki GS500E (long gone

Offline old head

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: January 20, 2022, 04:12:43 PM »
Meet with a broker today.  Went well, gave me a spreadsheet with all the policies he represents.
Easy to compare with them all together.  Medicare has 34 policies for my state.

Medicare has a website where they rate all the plans in your state, with up to 5 stars.
I had narrowed it to down to 3-4 based on Medicare's web page, and brokers recommendation lined up with what I thought would be best for me.

What did I learn. My opinion, you may have different conclusions.
 Dental coverage sucks for all of them.   :sad:
 without advantage plans, Medicare can get expensive real quick if you use it. 
 Sucks if you go out of network, emergency care is covered with your deductible, but must be indicated by provider. 
 Max out of pocket costs are way less than I have paid in the last few years.  :thumb:

At this point, any of the advantage plans I like, will reduce my out of pocket costs from what I have been paying with current insurance.
Less apprehension about going on Medicare, knowledge is a good thing.

Old Head

06 Breva 1100
Hepco-Becker crash bars
Givi A620 screen
Garmin GPS

Online JoeB

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #54 on: January 21, 2022, 06:06:06 AM »
old head, you mention advantage plans.
Did you consider supplements?
Depending on your situation may be worthwhile to look into.
It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Offline old head

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: January 21, 2022, 08:11:07 AM »
JoeB

Yeah, we went over supplements, but the cost is higher, and the potential out of pocket for non advantage plans was a concern.
I will be working at least until my wife gets on Medicare and we get a handle on her drug costs, as she has some drugs that run over a 1000 a month ea.  Her insurance covers that now.  Having a couple years experience with Medicare before she has to join hopefully will give us a better understanding of the costs and what is the better choice for us.

I use GOODRX for some medications now, its actually cheaper than our prescription plan from her insurance in some cases, at least for generics.  She has a couple brand name prescriptions that generics aren't available yet.  That drug cost maybe why I keep working, albeit in a reduced capacity even after I start drawing SS, but we will just to wait and see.

time will tell, but for now I think I will going with Plan C advantage plan.  I will be looking for a separate dental plan,

I work from home, so I can do what I do for quite a few years 

Old Head
06 Breva 1100
Hepco-Becker crash bars
Givi A620 screen
Garmin GPS

Offline old head

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: February 02, 2022, 02:28:07 PM »
On going saga,

After applying for Medicare in early January, I got an email late last week than my application was being reviewed.
today I got a letter that says I should my cards in 2 weeks and my coverage starts Mar 1,  GEEZ,  and I thought the DMV was slow.

As soon as I get my cards then I can sign up for the advantage coverage I chose.

Old Head
06 Breva 1100
Hepco-Becker crash bars
Givi A620 screen
Garmin GPS

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here