Author Topic: Triples  (Read 1939 times)

Offline Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
Re: Triples
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2023, 08:01:01 PM »
Quote from: BRG-BIRD on January 27, 2023, 09:41:58 PM
I’ll toss a triple in

I need to learn more about modern Triumphs. That is one very nice looking motorcycle.

Those first generation Hinckley Triumphs were over engineered and overbuilt. I'm on my second. Those thunderbird triples are a bargain.
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Offline Paul_Tim

• New Egg
« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2023, 05:18:47 AM »
Many moons ago (1987 I think) I briefly owned a lovely, orange, 180 crank Jota. Big, top heavy, steered like an oil tanker in that it was very stable at speed but needed a lot of 'input' to get it to change direction. Getting it to run on all 3 cylinders on a cold, foggy, morning could take some patience and the neighbours were definitely aware of what was going on.
A beautiful, fun bike to ride but I don't think I was ever totally its master and it retained the tendency to bite back occasionally just to remind me who was in charge, it's element was long, sweeping, bends where, once set up, it tracked like it was on rails. Took it to the IOM and it was hard work around the mountain course trying to keep up with my mates who were on GSXR750's and similar.
Only had the bike for about 12 months, so can't comment on detailed servicing requirements, and swapped it for a GSX1100 Katana as the pillion accommodation was better (of some importance in those days).

I'm sure you are aware there are two incarnations, the 120 crank on later bikes makes the whole thing far smoother.

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2023, 06:49:15 AM »
Many moons ago (1987 I think) I briefly owned a lovely, orange, 180 crank Jota. Big, top heavy, steered like an oil tanker in that it was very stable at speed but needed a lot of 'input' to get it to change direction. Getting it to run on all 3 cylinders on a cold, foggy, morning could take some patience and the neighbours were definitely aware of what was going on.
A beautiful, fun bike to ride but I don't think I was ever totally its master and it retained the tendency to bite back occasionally just to remind me who was in charge, it's element was long, sweeping, bends where, once set up, it tracked like it was on rails. Took it to the IOM and it was hard work around the mountain course trying to keep up with my mates who were on GSXR750's and similar.
Only had the bike for about 12 months, so can't comment on detailed servicing requirements, and swapped it for a GSX1100 Katana as the pillion accommodation was better (of some importance in those days).

I'm sure you are aware there are two incarnations, the 120 crank on later bikes makes the whole thing far smoother.

Thanks for a lovely description Paul. I think this bike has a 180 crank. I’m not a huge fan of getting bikes already in parts.  I’m hoping that there are some good parts diagrams available as well as a comprehensive shop manual or two.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2023, 07:24:45 AM »
 My first bike was a triple, a 75 Suzuki GT380 bought new in 76, very smooth bike, bad mpg,sold it to buy a XS650 lost the smoothness but doubled my MPG, then I had a 91 BMW K75S a very underrated bike and my last triple was a 97 Triumph Sprint 900 Executive, top heavy, always thought I was going to drop it, but had a great motor. All really good bikes.
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2023, 07:24:45 AM »

Offline JukeboxGothic

• New Egg
« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2023, 09:42:01 PM »
I have owned a few Laverdas and what I read on the net about them is generally garbage. If they are broken in properly you will have a good bike. If not, then trouble. My 81 Jota was a paragon of virtue. It didn't need shim changes in 30000 kms and was extremely reliable despite being used as everyday transport. This was down to very regular oil changes and me lavishing way too much love on it. My recommendation is to join The international Laverda owners club ILOC in Britain. Im currently resurrecting a 1982 Mirage 1200TS. They are simple, well made bikes that don't suffer idiots well. Very rewarding to own but it pays to be quite tall. I didn't think America got Jotas that early. Check the cams are marked 4C 
Laverda 1200TS
Velocette Venom
Vespa px200E
LeMans Mk11
Zundapp DB200 1939
Yamaha RD400 1977

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: February 04, 2023, 05:11:28 PM »
I am up in Vermont for the weekend and I stopped into Triumph Vermont outside of Middlebury to get a bike fix and out of the cold. More triples than you can shake a stick at.  I really liked the 1200 Speed Triple although I’ll probably never own one.
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2023, 09:14:21 AM »
When I lived / worked in Aachen, Germany (2004-2005), I rode a 1993 Triumph Trident 900.  Great bike! 

Toured all over Germany / Belgium / The Netherlands on this bike...Bought for 2500 Euros...sold it two years later for 2500 Euros.  Would have brought it back to the the USA when I moved to NORCAL, but as a "German-spec" bike, the cost to make it "California-legal" was prohibitive, so I sold it over there before I moved...

Here is a nice example I saw on the streets of Williams, AZ a few years ago... :thumb: :cool: :boozing:

« Last Edit: February 05, 2023, 09:29:47 AM by JJ »
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here