Author Topic: Convert Stolen in Tn  (Read 4589 times)

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
Re: Convert Stolen in Tn
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2020, 12:24:21 PM »
It would have been cool if one of the bikes had one of those GPS tracking thingies...anyone have any experience with those?
Rick.
"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2020, 01:15:22 PM »
I just saw something in the news about Ring cameras being recalled because of the potential for fire.  :shocked:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

jwinwi

« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2020, 02:22:28 PM »
I just saw something in the news about Ring cameras being recalled because of the potential for fire.  :shocked:

Only if they are installed with the wrong screws which are too long and make contact with the battery. :rolleyes:

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2020, 01:29:05 PM »
The company sold them with long screws that caused the problem???   :huh:
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: November 13, 2020, 01:29:05 PM »

Bert Remington

« Reply #34 on: November 13, 2020, 02:14:40 PM »
WRT GPS tracker on motorcycle: the 3G models work in urban areas and the 4G models work in near urban areas.  If you want complete coverage get a SPOT Trace which uses Globalstar for reporting.
https://www.findmespot.com/en-ca/products-services/spot-trace
« Last Edit: November 13, 2020, 02:51:28 PM by Bert Remington »

Offline ossaman55

• New Egg
    • Wild Guzzi
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2020, 09:51:31 PM »
He has installed a bunch of cellular cameras so he can watch from anywhere now. On a positive note, the 916 was found at a local impound lot just across the border in Alabama. Its been laid down but its mostly just a little road rash. The convert is still out there somewhere.

Offline AH Fan

• Gaggle Mentor
  • small stable of Italian stuff
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2020, 11:26:18 PM »
They are ... just served on a grand jury, meth heads and oxy freaks are stealing anything, on camera, and either selling it by the weight of the metal or taking it to a pawn shop, getting their fix, and getting arrested right after ....

Lannis

Pop a cap.......... save a bike...... all worth it.

Ciao

Offline Ryan

• Gosling
« Reply #37 on: November 15, 2020, 09:37:44 AM »
It would have been cool if one of the bikes had one of those GPS tracking thingies...anyone have any experience with those?
Rick.

Years ago I worked for LoJack, and we sold a bunch, mostly to HD buyers. Later I worked at a MC dealer, and three guys came in to buy R6s all at the same time. One sprung for the LoJack. All three guys lived in the same apartment complex, all three were stollen the same night. Cops got the signal the next moring, busted the theft ring, recovered 6 or 7 bikes, including those three. Sold two more... They only worked in areas where the police had trackers, but they were very effective in those areas.

Offline dguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sorry, I'm woke so I'll be quiet.
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2020, 03:29:45 PM »
I wonder if running ads locally or on bulletin boards might get some movement.  "Wanted yellow Ducati, its my dream bike"  sort of thing.
'03 EVT
'87 Cagiva
'72 Commando
'71 Commando
'90 Miata
'16 Mustang

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: November 16, 2020, 05:38:09 AM »
He has installed a bunch of cellular cameras so he can watch from anywhere now. On a positive note, the 916 was found at a local impound lot just across the border in Alabama. Its been laid down but its mostly just a little road rash. The convert is still out there somewhere.

Good to hear.  Sounds like meth heads did the break in, otherwise that Ducati would have been out of the country by now. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline ossaman55

• New Egg
    • Wild Guzzi
« Reply #40 on: December 17, 2020, 04:23:23 PM »
So this situation has taken a bad turn. The Ducati was recovered in may after it was involved with a police chase in Alabama. The tow yard that picked up up didn’t follow state law and add the vin to the Alabama abandoned vehicle register and notify the last titled owner. They told him he owed 6800 for storage fees. long story short the yard and local police say they have never heard of that law or care about it and the yard has told my dad they scrapped the bike. Anyone know a good lawyer in Alabama that would be willing to take this case on? The law is very clear and if they have in fact scrapped it it was done illegally without a lein or title.

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #41 on: December 17, 2020, 04:59:13 PM »
I’m not your lawyer and I’m not giving you legal advice.  I’m a random dude on the internet who doesn’t know you. 

But it appears that Alabama Code 32, section 32-8-87(s)(4) permits a civil action for restitution.   The problem you likely have is this—what is the fair market value of an old, wrecked Ducati?  Unless there is some statute or rule that provides for a larger recovery, that’s probably your limit. 

More promising is that this same section appears to make violation of this rule a Class C felony.   A fellow might want to mention that to the scrap yard.  Maybe they would play nicer if they thought they had a really determined person willing to jam them up. 

If still no joy, maybe then raise a stink with the Alabama Department of Transportation and also the Alabama Department of Revenue. 

Those two departments may be able to give you good, and free, advice about how to proceed.   

Best bet would be to get an Alabama attorney.   Not sure how feasible that is since this may be a low dollar case.   Find somebody who will at least give you a free consultation.
« Last Edit: December 17, 2020, 07:24:14 PM by SmithSwede »
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: December 17, 2020, 06:37:18 PM »
I’m not your lawyer and I’m not giving you legal advice.  I’m a random dude on the internet who doesn’t know you. 

But it appears that Alabama Code 32, section 32-8-87(s)(4) permits a civil action for restitution.   The problem you likely have is this—what is the fair market value of an old, wretched Ducati?  Unless there is some statute or rule that provides for a larger recovery, that’s probably your limit. 

More promising is that this same section appears to make violation of this rule a Class C felony.   A fellow might want to mention that to the scrap yard.  Maybe they would play nicer if they thought they had a really determined person willing to jam them up. 

If still no joy, maybe then raise a stink with the Alabama Department of Transportation and also the Alabama Department of Revenue. 

Those two departments may be able to give you good, and free, advice about how to proceed.   

Best bet would be to get an Alabama attorney.   Not sure how feasible that is since this may be a low dollar case.   Find somebody who will at least give you a free consultation.

To add to what SmithSwede so graciously offered to you, I recommend getting a lawyer to write a letter to the scrap yard on official letterhead, and then follow up with a phone call.   It is amazing what a letter signed by an attorney will do. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2020, 06:44:23 PM »
The tow yard didn't follow procedure and kept their fingers crossed so that someone could keep the bike.  They cannot use the excuse that they didn't know the law.  Take them to court.  Sue them.  It's probably a small claim court case but they would have to show up in court and not with a lawyer representing them.  Yelp, Facebook, Chamber of Commerce & Better Business Bureau should have complaints filed with them.  Check what gov. agency regulates them.  A complaint should be filed with them too.  More than likely they have done this before.

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: December 17, 2020, 06:52:57 PM »
I'm wondering if someone connected to the scrapyard has possession of the Ducati and is hiding it, hoping for the legal problems to blow away.
1990 MilleGT

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: December 17, 2020, 06:59:22 PM »
This happened to the Jackal that I sold to a friend in Honolulu.  The son of the owner was hiding it off of their storage yard to keep it.  A couple of phone calls to friends in the Police department :copcar:  fixed the problem.  "LO....and behold it showed itself in the storage yard.  It's a miracle."  :bow:  For the inconvenience there were no storage charges or towing charges.   :grin:

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: December 17, 2020, 07:57:41 PM »
Well, so great that the folks that "Protect and Serve" couldn't run the VIN and give the owner a call? 

Or just run the dang plate? 

It looks like the owner got rolled twice. 
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Online Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: December 18, 2020, 08:56:47 AM »
If they caught the thief,the prosecutor should get you a restitution judgment aspart of the criminal case.The cops might let the defendant know he can get a better deal if he returns the other bike.In WI prosecutors have a person whose job is to communicate with crime victims and help with these issues,hopefully AL has the same.The DA should check out the scrap yard conduct.Good luck.

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #48 on: September 18, 2021, 01:21:42 PM »
Any news on a recovery?
1990 MilleGT

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here