Author Topic: Could a 2011 V7 Classic have a steel fuel tank?  (Read 2092 times)

Offline mr_pacman

• Hatchling
Could a 2011 V7 Classic have a steel fuel tank?
« on: October 30, 2020, 08:46:54 AM »
Most information online suggests that the V7 classic series had a plastic fuel tank until 2012.

I'm considering a North American spec 2011 V7 Classic that is for sale. It's in another city so I can't physically inspect it, but the seller is indicating that it has a steel tank and not a plastic one.

Has anyone heard of 2011 Classic's with steel tanks?  What's the easiest way to test if it's plastic or steel? Using a magnet on the outside of the tank to see if it sticks from the outside?

Thanks
James

Online Kev m

• Not your normal Hombre
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Yo from Medford, NJ
Re: Could a 2011 V7 Classic have a steel fuel tank?
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 08:57:25 AM »
Anything is possible because it can be retrofitted.

Magnet will quickly tell you.

FWIW, the V7C DID come with a metal tank in its last year of production. Model years can be a little funny on these things as the EU and rest of the world often gets a "model" the "year" before the US does.

IIRC the 2012 V7 in most of the world was the 1TB Stone/Special/Racer that were 2013 models here.

HOWEVER in North America the 2012 V7C had a metal tank that one year (same one that was coming on the new 1TB models overseas).

Maybe some of the late models with 2011 vins also got them, or maybe someone swapped this on.

Current Fleet

18 Guzzi V7III Carbon Dark
13 Guzzi V7 Stone
11 Duc M696

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2020, 09:04:21 AM »
There where also warranty claims on some of the vinyl tank ones that swelled and became impossible to install...  And some folks got improperly installed tanks that rubbed the frame, could have possibly developed a leak?  I know most people just reworked the bumpers to address tank fit, but maybe someone somewhere had a dealer who got MG to warranty one?

I know it's crazy to think it got replaced under warranty, but stranger things have happened.
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline mr_pacman

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 09:10:43 AM »
Thanks for the replies. Is there a way to tell from looking at the tank?

Here is a link to the for sale ad:

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-street-cruisers-choppers/city-of-toronto/2011-moto-guzzi-v7-classic/1532614663

I'll ask the seller to confirm again with a magnet and see what the outcome is.

Thanks
James

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2020, 09:10:43 AM »

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 09:14:24 AM »
Thats the vinyl tank. Look at the leading edge... no a seam. Look at the cutout behind the steerer neck. The metal tanks have a clear thin seam there, this one is molded.

Offline mr_pacman

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 09:22:39 AM »
Thanks very much everyone.  I'll pass on this one.  I've got my eye on a 2014 V7 Racer that is a few hours away from me. My preference is for a stone or special as I find the racer a tad bit flashy and I've had a lower back surgery so I was concerned about the more aggressive riding position. However, someone locally with a 2013 Racer let me sit on their bike for 15 mins yesterday and I was almost totally upright on the bike (I've got long arms and I'm 6'2) so now it's less of a concern for me. Plus I'll only be riding in the city and doing 10 mile trips so I don't think the lower handlebars will be as much of an issue as I had thought.

Thanks again
james

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 02:29:26 PM »
Thats the vinyl tank. Look at the leading edge... no a seam. Look at the cutout behind the steerer neck. The metal tanks have a clear thin seam there, this one is molded.

And the tank cap surround is the elegant one of the plastic tank, not the the simple version of the metal tank. That tank cap surround won't fit the metal tank. Still, it looks very tidy for its age, & low mileage as well. To convert to a metal tank, you'd need the tank, the fuel pump, tank cap surround (the same as that on the Nevada & the 1100 Cali's), and fuel lines. Can be costly, but a worthy modification. The tank cap itself fits the new surround.

I prefer riding the 2 throttle body version - idles lower & throttle body balancing produces good results, the 15RC ECU is generally more robust & better written than the MIU G3, but replacing the air filter is awkward.

If you're looking at a Racer, and can stretch the wallet to a III with the Ohlins rear suspension, you won't be sorry. Here, these came with the matt chrome tank, not nearly so garish. Otherwise, Bagster make a tank cover which hides (& protects) the chrome. Likely cheaper than paint or vinyl wrap.

« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 02:33:32 PM by malik »
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 03:10:40 PM »
Thanks very much everyone.  I'll pass on this one.  I've got my eye on a 2014 V7 Racer that is a few hours away from me. My preference is for a stone or special as I find the racer a tad bit flashy and I've had a lower back surgery so I was concerned about the more aggressive riding position. However, someone locally with a 2013 Racer let me sit on their bike for 15 mins yesterday and I was almost totally upright on the bike (I've got long arms and I'm 6'2) so now it's less of a concern for me. Plus I'll only be riding in the city and doing 10 mile trips so I don't think the lower handlebars will be as much of an issue as I had thought.

Thanks again
james

I have a bad back and find the racer position more comfortable for absorbing bumps.  I put rear sets and lower bars on my V7.  Of course my issue is skeletal and not muscular. 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline mr_pacman

• Hatchling
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2020, 11:28:41 PM »
I have a bad back and find the racer position more comfortable for absorbing bumps.  I put rear sets and lower bars on my V7.  Of course my issue is skeletal and not muscular.

Mine is also skeletal. Lumbar fusion L4/L5 with titanium rods and screws.  It doesn't really bother me, but I'm always cautious and extra careful with my posture.

Here is a picture of me at the dealer on a brand new V7iii racer 10th anniversary. I feel like my posture is quite upright and I didn't feel as if I was stretching my arms out too much.  The V7 special that I also tried felt similar but my arms were higher.

Offline mr_pacman

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2020, 11:31:09 PM »

If you're looking at a Racer, and can stretch the wallet to a III with the Ohlins rear suspension, you won't be sorry. Here, these came with the matt chrome tank, not nearly so garish. Otherwise, Bagster make a tank cover which hides (& protects) the chrome. Likely cheaper than paint or vinyl wrap.

Unfortunately, a v7iii is out of my budget.  For some reason, V7iii's on the used market are selling for close to what a brand new ones costs. The 2014 I'm looking at is about 40% less expensive than what the V7iii's have and most of them have double the mileage of the 2014 I'm looking at.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2020, 08:13:20 AM »
Mine is also skeletal. Lumbar fusion L4/L5 with titanium rods and screws.  It doesn't really bother me, but I'm always cautious and extra careful with my posture.

Here is a picture of me at the dealer on a brand new V7iii racer 10th anniversary. I feel like my posture is quite upright and I didn't feel as if I was stretching my arms out too much.  The V7 special that I also tried felt similar but my arms were higher.

And the rear sets lower your knees for a more relaxed position IMO.  I like the 10th Anniversary bike.  For me though they made some trade-offs in features compared to the normal Racer that I would have to weigh carefully if I were in the market for a new bike. 
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline mr_pacman

• Hatchling
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2020, 12:06:59 PM »
And the rear sets lower your knees for a more relaxed position IMO.  I like the 10th Anniversary bike.  For me though they made some trade-offs in features compared to the normal Racer that I would have to weigh carefully if I were in the market for a new bike.

The sales rep suggested most of the differences between the 10th anniversary and the regular racer were mostly cosmetic and some cooler parts like the LED lights and cool side mirrors.

As a side note, they are the sole remaining Guzzi dealer here in the city and they will only be ordering bikes for special orders and not planning on carrying lots of stock.  They have a few stones and specials still on the floor that are 2019 models. I guess they didn't sell very well the past few years.

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: November 02, 2020, 11:23:44 AM »
Just sayin'. The series 3 has a number of changes in the engine +ecu. Most significant is the combustion chamber. The Heron head is gone. A more contemporary hemispherical combustion chamber in its place. It's still a 2 valve/cylinder. Guessing maximum torque is @ higher r/m. Front end geometry was changed to improve handling.

I have a 2017, V7 iiiR. I'd rather not be caught dead on that thing. Literally, out of the crate, stripped of body parts and painted - including powder coated cast wheels, + upgrades for reliability. A 4 piston frt. caliper and radial master cylinder is a huge benefit.   R3~

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: November 02, 2020, 11:42:45 AM »
Looks like the 10th Anni Racer lacks the standard 2020's Racer's Ohlins

They added passenger pegs and the LED lights (at least the turn signals, not sure about the headlight) from the '2020 night pack'...  Am I nuts, or does the 10th Anni bike have the Stone dash? (No Tach!?!)

I couldnt give a flip about connecting my moto to my phone with bluetooth, but YMMV .. I guess it would be cool if you could read/clear error codes and set maintenance reminders--but I bet you can't.

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: November 02, 2020, 01:10:23 PM »
Looks like the 10th Anni Racer lacks the standard 2020's Racer's Ohlins

They added passenger pegs and the LED lights (at least the turn signals, not sure about the headlight) from the '2020 night pack'...  Am I nuts, or does the 10th Anni bike have the Stone dash? (No Tach!?!)

I couldnt give a flip about connecting my moto to my phone with bluetooth, but YMMV .. I guess it would be cool if you could read/clear error codes and set maintenance reminders--but I bet you can't.

A photo on this link shows a tach and the 10th engraving.  https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/moto-guzzi/2020-moto-guzzi-v7-iii-racer-10th-anniversary-ar187176.html

The connection to the phone is not to make phone calls.  The app captures and displays all kinds of data while you ride and after the ride.  If I had a phone that I could use to connect to the bike I would definitely enjoy that tech feature.

2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline mr_pacman

• Hatchling
« Reply #15 on: November 05, 2020, 12:20:08 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone. I ended up buying a 2014 V7 Racer with 1,900km on the odometer. It wasn't used often and has a set of Agostini slip on mufflers installed as well as the stock exhaust that was never used and sitting in a box.  It was very loud so I put the baffles back in and it's much better now.

It's pretty much time for snow and winter here, so it's in the garage and I'll give it a good clean in time for next spring.

I believe the 10th anniversary that I saw at the dealership did have led lights, including the headlight, and it did have the tach.

Offline pebra

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: November 05, 2020, 01:19:05 PM »
Congratulations!

Let's look forward to spring!
Guzzi HTMoto Roadster "Verdina"
2009 Griso 8V "Weißgerät"
Norge-man - introduction #ca 198 shown Guzzi #195

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: November 05, 2020, 01:20:41 PM »
Well done. It's a shame you have times of the that riding is not advised/possible.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here