New 20 ounce tumblers available now! Forum donation credit with purchase. https://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm#Tumbler
Glad it turned out nice in the end, In my opinion the new head tubes looks much better than the 1400 headers. They were just too long.
That looks very good! Almost like it came from the factory like that Soooo, did you start it up yet? Any test rides yet?
I congratulate you and appreciate the engineering and effort thats gone into this project but the original bike has lost it's proportion now for mine. Like stuffing a big block V8 into a 4 cylinder run about. Any design elegance the original LM had is completely lost. The mufflers dont help as they were and always will be a styling abomination on a motorcycle. I sometimes can't believe how little focus people put into the decision of what mufflers they use from a styling perspective. They form a major part of the look of a motorcycle and can be make or break from that perspective. Ciao
Thanks? I guess you missed the part about wanting to make as much from the existing bike work and took the easiest/cheapest way out wherever possible since the whole project was never a guaranteed success. I guess I actually destroyed all design elegance in 1990 when I bought the BUB HYPER exhaust. I did always prefer the upswept Conti look but back then liked the part about keeping hot pipes well clear of soft bags which were prone to shifting if much imbalance happened. As far as your Big Block V8 into a 4 cyl runabout analogy I think it's a little over the top. Your example refers to 500 or so horsepower replacing 100 or so with a resulting vehicle impractical for anything more than the occasional Cruise night. In my case I have replaced 80 or so with 100 or so (once sorted) and once hopefully proven I fully expect to be able to drive it anywhere the LMIV could have gone. Mostly when I saw the engine available and he accepted my offer I enjoyed challenging myself with the project. Just to show what it used to be as last run as the LMIV here is a picture. Also to show that I believe I am most capable of building a good looking exhaust hear is a little NGC of a bike I have owned since 1975. The pipe on it was 100% built by me in 1993 with the exception of the rear portion of the Supertrapp and the 2-1 transition was taken from another unknown swap meet pipe. As modified as it is it is also functional and although I finally made it electric start last winter I rode it as far as Trail BC. 2 years ago at age 65 when it was still kick start. Winnipeg to Creston B.C. (1600kms/1000mi ) in 2 days which is not too shabby for it or me.
Well, rainy cool Sunday but it's been nice otherwise and now have 250 kms of test riding in. Still mostly good news. I bumped the throttle spring spacers up to 5/8" which is max without coil bind but still not enough for good return. While playing at the carbs I noticed 1 accelerator pump was dead and it turned out to be the diaphragm confirmed by swapping L. to R. I contacted Wolfgang Harter the Laverda guy in B.C. and he had both the heavy throttle springs and the pump diaphragms so should have them soon. I tried turning both pumps off but it didn't like that so I made the good one operational but now that it was on the R.H. side it still wasn't right . For some unknown it seems that if I can only have one accel pump it needs to be the left? No matter as both should be back on line shortly. Yesterday I thought something had failed but it was just hitting reserve much sooner than expected but maybe the tank had been not as full as I thought. Then by the time I selected reserve with mitts on it was too late and I coasted to a stop. I was thinking trailer but hit the button and rode away. I got new o-rings for the pull out dipstick and have it in now. With the original 3 litres I had put in after sitting overnight on the center stand it reads 1/2 low to the full mark from my LMIV so I think that can be my full mark again. I got home from 1 of my rides and saw oil on the ground which was from the upper breather pipe and checked the lower one which goes in to a catch-can but it was bone dry. I temporarily rerouted the other one to a clear baby bottle between the carbs and so far it may have a few drops. Something to keep an eye on for now. It doesn't take much oil to look like lots. The slightly taller top covers on the engine were hurting my knees especially the R.H. one and I have been trimming and blending the back ends of the fins and it's not too bad now. Today I matched up the L.H. one even though it wasn't the problem I was still contacting it and trimming will allow that knee more room and should help the pressure on the other by letting me sit different. Before I put them back on I highlighted the fins completely because I like that look best. The pictures show how the original fins had a sharp corner at the rear and how I trimmed the L.H. one down and then the picture of them with highlighted fins. The only real negative issue is the oil leak that the engine was allegedly replaced for is back. Definitely from the rear bearing flange or maybe the bolts need sealer. Since it took 250 kms to make it's first drop I won't worry about it until I need to open it up again.40 years of working on 18 cyl radial aircraft engines makes one more tolerant of leaks.
Super cool, glad it's working out for you. I like this build a lot.
Page created in 0.027 seconds with 20 queries.