Author Topic: A dusty 1000SP  (Read 3528 times)

Offline Pendulum Percussion

• New Egg
A dusty 1000SP
« on: June 17, 2021, 03:36:42 AM »
Hi all,

I'm new to the forum and kinda new with Guzzi's. I've had a Norge for a while, a LM 1000 project bike and a T5 even less time, but with all but the Norge gone, I've found what I hope to be a clean 1000SP NT locally for sale to keep for a while.

I'm no expert on these, the Australian compliance plate says June 1985, but I'm guessing its an earlier build as I'm pretty sure the round barrels were out by then. Maybe someone can chip in. And before you worry too much, I don't plan on making a cafe racer out of it. It's basically complete so I'm looking to restore it to original-ish condition.

It's sat since the late 90's, so it may take some work. In fact, I haven't picked it up yet as it's getting new keys, but I'll try and get some better photos once it's sitting at home. I imagine after that long it will need a thorough checking before even trying to start.

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: A dusty 1000SP
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2021, 04:13:22 AM »
Jeeez mate, that’s a decent looking jigger..!
Can you take some more shots with perhaps a little less perspective ?

Online Tkelly

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2021, 06:08:21 AM »
SP NT or new type looks like my 83.

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 10:39:14 AM »
Are you going to do a "pull it all apart and redo/restore everything" kind of jobs?   

I would be very tempted to just get it running and ride it as-is, but I'm lazy that way.   :grin:
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2021, 10:39:14 AM »

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2021, 12:12:20 PM »
Welcome! A lot of characters in this forum, but the vibe is friendly. The colour scheme and round heads make it look just like my '83 SP1000.  But take that opinion with a grain of salt, as mine did not come with the original upper/lower fairing nor the original instrument console. And this being my first Guzzi, I have even less experience with these bikes than you do. But I'm learning fast- I'm in the midst of a fairly extensive refurbishment thread - see Bernie's Budget Beast in the Bike Builds section.

Yours looks fairly stock except for the seat of course and the panniers/bags. I think I spot K & N style air filters too? .
Does the exhaust system come with it?

Would you please lift the gas cap door and take a pic of the grey cover that is just forward of the door?  I'm missing that part and I'd like a better idea of what I'm looking for.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2021, 12:19:01 PM by berniebee »

• New Egg
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2021, 08:05:29 PM »
Ideally - completely restore it and replace parts as needed. As I am yet to go and pick it up I'm not too sure what it needs yet, or what gremlins lay undisturbed. As far as I can tell it is complete, the exhaust is included too although not in the photo. It appears it was set for long-term storage as the fuel lines were taken off the taps, the tank dry and the battery removed. Maybe it just turned out that way.

It does have pod filters of some sort, has a piranha ignition and the obvious seat alternative. I'll be changing the seat as a priority as it's not my style. I'm unsure if I should use the seat pan and reupholster the one that is on it, or buy another complete seat - yet to decide.

I'll have to make room for a third bike, but should fit between these two;

I'll take a photo of the fuel cap area for you once I pick it up - hopefully soon!

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2021, 08:12:46 PM »
I have no experience with those seats, but I would not chop it up.
I reckon it’s worth $$$$ to the right buyer.

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2021, 06:04:03 AM »
I have no experience with those seats, but I would not chop it up.
I reckon it’s worth $$$$ to the right buyer.

I think you're right there - seems a better move financially at least to sell it and purchase another seat. I grabbed a couple things the other day off it so it's less to pick up later, including another headlight fairing, one pannier bag and the exhaust.

The fairing seems to be from maybe a LeMans 2? Not too sure. It's also plastic.

The exhaust has "Moto Guzzi S17", and "Lafranconi 23" stamped into it. Were these then a standard exhausts or aftermarket?
They are in pretty good condition just need a polish. The only have a small hole in the end, not the fan blade style or open.
I guess I'll get it running and see if they sound okay or not.

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: June 18, 2021, 08:03:26 AM »

The fairing seems to be from maybe a LeMans 2? Not too sure. It's also plastic.

That fairing looks identical to the one that came with my recently sold '76 Yamaha XS500C. I bought that bike around 2010.  The fairing is definitely not a Yamaha product. It's mounted at the headlight and with rods that are clamped to the handlebars.  Seeing that it has appeared in both Australia and Canada, It's probably from a major aftermarket supplier.

If the shipping costs from Australia to Canada weren't so high, I would be interested in it. I think it would look good on my SP!

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2021, 04:03:48 AM »
That is a very close resemblance with that fairing.

Today was a great day - finally picked up the bike, with new keys cut all round.
There's even a few spares I'm yet to explore so I'm super happy.

I'm yet to understand that last sticker that was on the side cover.
It also appears the inlet manifolds were changed to alloy as I think the SPNT had rubber ones originally?

One other thing to stump me is in the owners manual - it has a 'born ** June 1985' written on the first page - but still stumped as the SPNT were SPII by then?
I'll have a good look over it tomorrow.

• New Egg
« Reply #10 on: June 25, 2021, 05:24:11 AM »
Because I couldn't help myself and wait, I connected the new battery to see if power was there.
With just a crude connection, the hazard lights and headlight came to life.
With a delicate push of the starter button it cranked -we're in business!

I look forward to taking the timing cover off and checking the chain, then fluids, maybe a valve cover or two and check some other things before trying to run it.
If you have any suggestions what else I should do before running it let me know!

The tank looks pretty clean but I'll give it a flush and connect up the fuel lines.
By the way - my new seat arrived. Well at least the base and foam from a T3. The cover is coming!

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: June 25, 2021, 09:12:37 AM »
Congrats on finally acquiring the bike, it looks to be in very nice condition. My '83 has the rubber inlets, if that's any help. About that (very interesting) sticker on the side cover: recambie = replacement, as in replacement parts I would think.  My guess is that this is (or was) from a Moto Guzzi dealer.  Perhaps the bike was purchased there and later exported to Australia? I'd love to see a pic of the "Born on" page in the owner's manual. 

Before starting the bike, I would remove the carburetor floats and  if there's more than a minimal amount of gunk settled on the bottom, remove the carbs and clean out the jets, at the very least. Put some fresh oil in the engine too. Ideally replace the oil filter, but that requires dropping the oil pan.

BTW, if you have questions, you'll get far more responses if you post in the General Discussion page. I suggest you start with the "Before starting the bike" question, mentioning that you've started a bike build thread. You'll get more interested viewers and with that, more advice from some very knowledgeable readers.

• New Egg
« Reply #12 on: June 26, 2021, 03:10:31 AM »
Berniebee - here's the photos as promised.

Changed the oils, connected the battery, changed the fuel lines and bingo - started up!
Didn't get around the dropping the pan it was stuck on too well and I'll have to order a filter anyway.

The oil pressure sensor is not working, as is the rear brake master cylinder.
Apart from that it seems to be working pretty well. It was slow to build oil pressure but probably just thick old oil in the lines it's okay now.

The carbs backfire and it runs rough, but I'm still happy overall.
I'll take them apart soon and follow your instructions regarding the floats and jets.

New seat pan is on and works with the catches.

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #13 on: June 26, 2021, 09:50:27 AM »
 Thanks for the pics.  Glad to hear you got it running!  Hopefully the roughness is just the carbs needing a good cleaning. Wouldn't hurt to check the valve clearances too.

• New Egg
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2021, 03:20:33 AM »
Some more success today. I took the float bowls off to inspect thinking they may have looked like caramel.
I think the PO having taken the lines off may have been a blessing as they were super clean - maybe just a little dry.

Anyway, after a hard few minutes of trying to start it came to life - like really to life! It's holding idle and running great all the way up the rev range.
There's no spluttering or dead spots either so I think the fuel running through it helped to lubricate it all?

The good:
The charge light turns off when running, neutral light works, all gears work up and down.
The bad:
Rear master still stuck and throttle cable may be gummed up as the revs stay up. The oil pressure sensor still bad but a new one on the way.

I'll do some forum searching for a rear master rebuild to get some idea how to do it.

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2021, 03:00:42 PM »
Not surprising that at least one of the brakes is stuck after a layoff. Could be that the pucks have rusted stuck in the caliper. Having said that, on my project bike the rear pucks (F08 caliper) are coated with something that looks like the non stick coating commonly found on Canadian fry pans.  And the front brakes were working in spite of the pucks being fairly heavily corroded. I'm rebuilding the brakes, so new front pucks, all caliper seals and master cylinder seals are being replaced. I'm paranoid about brakes. CORRECTION: I misremembered, because I took the brakes apart a year ago. It's actually the uncoated REAR caliper pucks that were very rusty, the front pucks are coated and fine. The replacement rear pucks are anodized, so should be more rust resistant.

It's possibly sticky throttle cables or carburetor slides, but keep in mind that out of spec valve clearances and/or spark timing could also be causing the revs to stay up.

Overall I'd say you lucked out.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2021, 03:43:23 PM by berniebee »

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2021, 09:49:16 AM »
Oops. Forget about my previous comment saying my SP has rubber inlet manifolds. They are not rubber and not original. They are very hard, so I thought they were 38 year old rubber. But when I test fit the carbs/air filters/throttle cables, I saw that the carburettors were not angled inwards nearly as much as a stock SP, that is, these manifolds  don't have as sharp a bend as stock manifolds. 

I believe I have the plastic manifolds sold by MG Cycle:
https://www.mgcycle.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=178

• New Egg
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2021, 10:57:25 PM »
Hi all,
I've replaced the rear master cylinder seals and cleaned out the bore etc. It seemed to help build some pressure but there's a problem further along the line. I'm guessing the proportion valve thing, or a leak in a line or at the pistons somewhere as it won't bleed at all no matter what my style.

I've bought calliper rebuild kits and new lines which are on the way, as well as plenty of other parts I need, grips, battery tray rubber, rubber grommets and stuff.
I noticed when idling it had huge blow-by from the oil filler - I mean you could inflate a balloon with it. So thinking the valves were in need of adjustment as some have suggested, I gave them a check. I know I should have done it earlier.

Anyway, they were horribly tight, not a single hydrogen atom could squeeze in the gap, let alone any of the feeler sizes - explaining the carb backfire, hard to start, blow-by and horrible ticking under the covers.
They are now back in spec and it's running much nicer, although I did overfill the pan with oil so it still has a little too much pressure - I'll let some out don't worry.

The seat should be back from the upholsterers later in the week - hooray.
Also, this is a bench I'm making for it so I can work on it a little easier. It's not quite finished.

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2021, 03:37:58 PM »
The proportional valve on my SP was seized- see the first post on my thread if you want to see what I did to free it.

I haven't bled my brakes yet but I read that it's easier to bleed the rear caliper if it is unbolted and lifted above the  proportional valve. That makes sense to me, it's always easier to bleed a system when the air bubbles can rise up and out. Also, did you bleed at the proportional valve first?

Check the tiny holes in the bottom of the master cylinder reservoir- they could be blocked.

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2021, 03:51:07 PM »
Question for you. How are you uploading your pictures?  They appear quite large on my browser. As you can see, my pics appear very small on the site. but you can click on them to get full size.

• New Egg
« Reply #20 on: July 19, 2021, 07:12:26 PM »
Thanks Berniebee I'll check out how you did it with the valve. I tried bleeding negative and positive feed through all the bleeds possible with no luck. The valve and the rear were the most reddish and black colour fluid. I could build pressure but once I released it it would fall, with no obvious signs from where. the MC is working fine now after the rebuild. I think my FedEX package is coming today so maybe over the weekend I'll get a chance to work on it more. Apart from the tyres I should have everything needed for getting it on the road.

BTW - I also bought two Sibel horns as the originals were missing. VoxBell would have been nice but a little too $$ for me.
As for the photos, I use Imgur, which on my screen is small photos unless I make them larger so not sure what's going on there. Even on preview post it's small photos so apologies. I'll have a play with it for the next post with photos.

• New Egg
« Reply #21 on: September 06, 2021, 07:32:30 PM »
It's been a little while since I've updated. I thought it may be best to drop the pan and take a head off to inspect, and I'm glad I did...

The pan was filthy as you can see, but nothing too sinister like chips of metal or an old spanner.
The heads were dirty, but there was one burnt exhaust valve I replaced too.

It took a while to clean up. The old gaskets were shot and explain the leaking oil. The o rings were dried to crisps too.

• New Egg
« Reply #22 on: September 06, 2021, 07:41:21 PM »
Now for the clean up photos;

It's currently getting new shoes. I should have it on the road soon - pending roadworthy check.

Offline Clancy

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: September 08, 2021, 12:03:39 AM »
I should have it on the road soon - pending roadworthy check.

I'll keep an eye out for you  :thumb:

If you get a wave from someone on a silver & black GRiSO with red valve covers.....it's me  :grin:
Cheers
Craig

2012 GRiSO (Factory rollered, Beetle mapped)

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: September 08, 2021, 01:20:56 AM »
I'll keep an eye out for you  :thumb:

If you get a wave from someone on a silver & black GRiSO with red valve covers.....it's me  :grin:
Stay in touch mate.
When you get going and - allows, we should meet up at Tarcutta for a quiet one...

Offline Clancy

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2021, 12:53:09 AM »
Stay in touch mate.
When you get going and - allows, we should meet up at Tarcutta for a quiet one...

Sounds like a plan Huzo  :thumb:
If I can move about at the time then so can Mr Beetle & Mr Roper.
And for shit sure we'll all be gagging for a decent ride.
Snowy Mountains Hwy here we come :evil:
Cheers
Craig

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2021, 03:25:56 AM »
Sounds like a plan Huzo  :thumb:
If I can move about at the time then so can Mr Beetle & Mr Roper.
And for shit sure we'll all be gagging for a decent ride.
Snowy Mountains Hwy here we come :evil:
So I’m invited ?

Offline Clancy

• Gosling
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2021, 10:32:53 PM »
Cheers
Craig

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2021, 01:07:56 AM »
But of course!
I’m looking forward to the call up. This one grabbed my attention, it looks very nice.
My # is 0437070946
Did you say where you got the seat ?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2021, 01:10:20 AM by Huzo »

• New Egg
« Reply #29 on: October 05, 2021, 08:02:12 PM »
Hi all,
Sorry for the slow reply. Haven't got too much to report but it has new tyres which is great.
The rebuild went well and it runs quieter and smoother, starts easier and sounds fantastic.

I can't register it yet as having been sitting for 25 years I can't obtain registration history or papers so need to take over the inspection station for ID check.
I'm not too worried about it, but the problem is lockdown - can't go there for a few weeks.

Hopefully soon enough I can meet up with some of you for a ride.

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here