Author Topic: 1400 Owners, Please respond  (Read 3479 times)

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
1400 Owners, Please respond
« on: September 13, 2021, 02:19:32 PM »
I am severly smitten with the 1400, ok I said it and my addiction has been spoken for all to hear.  :bike-037:

Anywho, I would like to hear the good, bad and the ugly about this mount. Don’t need Luap’s hour story recounted though!  :lipsrsealed:

So let me know likes, dislikes, model differences, year over year preferences, would you buy again etc.

Thanks in advance
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline DougG

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: 1400 Owners, Please respond
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2021, 03:19:56 PM »
Hi Indtix,                                                                                                       9-13-21

I have a 2015 and a 2017 Cali 1400 Tour.  If you are looking at a '15, ride it for a while, cycle the ignition several times and look for the the "dred red triangle".  Some of the '14 and '15 Cali's had issues with the throttle position sensors that kicked out an error code - service warning, urgent service warning, etc.  The fly by wire system changed by '17 - no error code.  However, you will have to get an after market heated grip system, the '17's didn't come with them.

Be well, stay well,
DougG
A possum playing possum is no big deal.  Find one that can play giraffe, now you got yourself something!

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2021, 03:30:50 PM »
I have a low mileage '14 Cal Touring 1400.  Previous owner stuck a car tire on the back.  No problems.  Handles well.  A little more body English and counter steering but it is a big bike.   :grin: :grin: :grin: 

Anyone take off the heel shift lever and not want it?  I'm looking for one.  PO took it off and can't find it.  I like using a heel/toe shifter.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 03:32:56 PM by Tom »
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 03:43:01 PM »
I am severly smitten with the 1400, ok I said it and my addiction has been spoken for all to hear.  :bike-037:

Anywho, I would like to hear the good, bad and the ugly about this mount. Don’t need Luap’s hour story recounted though!  :lipsrsealed:

So let me know likes, dislikes, model differences, year over year preferences, would you buy again etc.

Thanks in advance
inditx

Having owned a 2014 Custom, a 2016 Eldorado, a 2017 Tour, and now a 2020 Eldorado.... I will say that they all got crappy fuel mileage.  Good horsepower though.

The engines are the same, but there is a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) issue in the 2016 and prior models.  Guzzi redesigned the TPS for the 2017 and up models.  On the 2016 and prior models, it's approx a $500 part, plus labor and ECM reset.  And, that doesn't always fix it forever.   Try to get a 2017 or later model.

Both our Eldorado had the quickest handling as compared to the others, and they looks cool in red (the fastest color)

Our 2017 tour felt heavier that it was; the bags leaked A LOT.  The oil cooler got the squirts at about 2,000 miles.  But man, i was a mile eater.

Call me if ya want to jabber about them
Kevin 636.667.9816

Next opinion, please

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2021, 03:43:01 PM »

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2021, 03:45:13 PM »
Hi Indtix,                                                                                                       9-13-21

I have a 2015 and a 2017 Cali 1400 Tour.  If you are looking at a '15, ride it for a while, cycle the ignition several times and look for the the "dred red triangle".  Some of the '14 and '15 Cali's had issues with the throttle position sensors that kicked out an error code - service warning, urgent service warning, etc.  The fly by wire system changed by '17 - no error code.  However, you will have to get an after market heated grip system, the '17's didn't come with them.

Be well, stay well,
DougG

Thanks DougG
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2021, 03:45:37 PM »
The Eldos handle the best.   :thumb:  The Touring side bags hold a lot.   
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 03:49:47 PM by Tom »
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2021, 03:48:52 PM »
Having owned a 2014 Custom, a 2016 Eldorado, a 2017 Tour, and now a 2020 Eldorado.... I will say that they all got crappy fuel mileage.  Good horsepower though.

The engines are the same, but there is a Throttle Position Sensor (TPS) issue in the 2016 and prior models.  Guzzi redesigned the TPS for the 2017 and up models.  On the 2016 and prior models, it's approx a $500 part, plus labor and ECM reset.  And, that doesn't always fix it forever.   Try to get a 2017 or later model.

Both our Eldorado had the quickest handling as compared to the others, and they looks cool in red (the fastest color)

Our 2017 tour felt heavier that it was; the bags leaked A LOT.  The oil cooler got the squirts at about 2,000 miles.  But man, i was a mile eater.

Call me if ya want to jabber about them
Kevin 636.667.9816

Next opinion, please

Thanks Kevin I’ll give you a call in the next week or 2.
Appreciate it.
How you healing up?
Jack aka inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2021, 03:51:15 PM »
The Eldos handle the best.   :thumb:  The Touring side bags hold a lot.

Do the Eldos have tube type tires?
I have heard people either love or hate the touring bags.
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2021, 03:53:48 PM »
The Touring model bags work for me.  Not sure on the Eldo.  I thought they had mini-mags that look like spokes.  🤷‍♂️   If so then tubeless tires.

Online kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2021, 04:03:41 PM »
The Eldorado has a wire laced wheel - but it is tubeless.
There are "O" rings in the spoke assembly that keep the air in the tire.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2021, 04:06:59 PM »
theoretically.
^^^ finished that for you.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Online kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2021, 04:13:34 PM »

How you healing up?
Jack aka inditx

I'll (probably) be at the MO-KAN.  Look for the old guy in the wheelchair.
 :thumb:

Kevin
« Last Edit: September 13, 2021, 04:20:49 PM by kballowe »

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2021, 04:30:57 PM »
 :thumb:
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2021, 04:36:15 PM »
The Eldorado has a wire laced wheel - but it is tubeless.
There are "O" rings in the spoke assembly that keep the air in the tire.

IIRC double o-rings on each spoke.  Magnifying glass and o ring kit when changing tires.  😳

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2021, 08:22:12 PM »
I had the 2015 1400 tourer. Don’t know why it was marketed as a touring bike. It had insufficient wind snd elements protection, no tail trunk or even a factory luggage rack, poorly designed cruise control, sound system or basically nothing a tourer is supposed to have.
Now the the positive things that can be said.
It had the most perfect motor I’ve ever had in any motorcycle and I’ve owned all the major touring brands. It handled good for a heavy bike and I could sit if all day without getting overly fatigue.
I would have kept mine but I had two TPS failures in less than 12K miles. Therefore I lost faith and trust in it. I won’t own a bike I can’t trust.
That being said I don’t think that’s a norm for the 1400, just my luck.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2021, 06:40:10 PM by Ncdan »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2021, 08:24:36 PM »
.....based on a couple of test rides, great motorcycle.  I tried to buy one.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2021, 08:52:13 PM »
I had the 2015 1400 tourer. Don’t know why it was marketed as a touring bike. It had insufficient wind snd elements protection, no tail trunk or even a factory luggage rack, poorly designed cruise control, sound system or basically nothing a tourer is supported to have.
Now tho the positive things that can be said.
It had the most perfect motor I’ve ever had in any motorcycle and I’ve owned all the major touring brands. It handled good for a heavy bike and I could sit if all day without getting overly fatigue.
I would have kept mine but I had two TPS failures in less than 12K miles. Therefore I lost faith and trust in it. I won’t own a bike I can’t trust.
That being said I don’t think that’s a norm for the 1400, just my luck.

Thanks Dan.
Hopefully I wouldn’t have that problem with a 2017+ and maybe an Eldorado!
Jack
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2021, 09:21:00 PM »
Thanks Dan.
Hopefully I wouldn’t have that problem with a 2017+ and maybe an Eldorado!
Jack
I agree👍

Offline dte8dom

• New Egg
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2021, 07:01:07 PM »
Have a 14 custom. Probably the best big twin motor I’ve ever rode. Seems like it keeps getting smoother as it gets miles on it. I bought it brand new in 2016 and got what I still think was a good deal from a dealer that was soon to close his doors. That being said I haven’t had 1 issue with the bike in 5 years of ownership. It does seem to go through tires faster than other big bikes I’ve owned. Gas mileage isn’t great but it’s not why I ride. If that’s your thing you wouldn’t really be considering this bike to begin with either. It’s also not a commuter bike either. If this was to be my only bike and I was using it to commute I’m pretty sure I would be looking at something else. But for what I do with it, getting out for some enjoyment on rural country roads and some highways, I can’t think of any bike I’ve owned or rode that I’d rather have over this. Hopefully parts will still be available as Guzzi is done with the 1400.

Offline Stretch

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2021, 07:12:36 PM »
I have a 2017 California Touring.

Handling is very good for such a big girl.
Brakes are terrific!

The stock windshield - even with the deflectors - pummels my head from side to
side at highway speeds. I replaced it with a Swanee fairing from Harper's. I could
read the paper behind that rig now.

Engine is good, but I'm spoilt. My Triumph Rocket III Touring has SO much torque.
The Cali isn't in the same league, but really has plenty of power. 6th is really an
overdrive for the Interstate. 5th is technically an overdrive; the bike is happy with
at least 3K to 3.5K on the tach. Mileage is mid to high 30s for me. Sweet spot around
70 or so - no vibration.

I replaced the stock seat with a Corbin and added some highway pegs. Comfortable
all day. Suspension is okay. No problems, even 2 up.

Some people like heel and toe shifters - other despise them. I don't like the arrangement
on the aforementioned Triumph, but the setup on the Cali works very well for me.

I haven't played with traction control - I just leave it on setting one, which is the least
restrictive. The bike has power, but I don't know what you'd need to be doing to require
traction control. Something, apparently, more than I'm doing.....

There are 3 maps: Piaggio(rain), Touring, and Veloce. I like Veloce - best throttle response.
The rain setting isn't really needed in my opinion, Touring is fine. There doesn't seem to be
much difference in mileage between Touring and Veloce.

I tried the bike on a logging road, and it handled like a pig on stilts. Oddly enough, spinning
the rear wheel on wet grass 2 up was pretty controllable and didn't really upset the plot.
Go figure.....

Nice bike, though.  :azn: Mine is red - and it IS the fastest color.   :thumb:

-Stretch

1967? Change Jiang M1M
1978 Yamaha SR500
1987 BMW K75S
2011 Kawasaki KLR650
2011 Triumph Rocket III Touring
2015 Triumph Trophy
2017 Moto Guzzi 1400 California Touring

Offline ff73148

• New Egg
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2021, 08:42:22 PM »
I owned a 2016 Eldorado. Just like everyone else the 1400cc engine is great. Plenty of power, great on the road. But the Eldorado was not a touring bike. It's 16" wheels makes it a great big block backroad bike. It is surprisingly agile. I sold it and bought a 2018 Goldwing. I wanted a touring bike for the open road. But I missed the MG 1400cc engine. I sold the Goldwing in June and found the last 2020 California Touring in the USA. The big difference with the California is the 18" front wheel, plus the windshield and hard bags. Making it the perfect tourer for me.
Frank Ferrante
2016 Eldorado
2022 Can Am Spyder RT Limited

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: September 15, 2021, 08:32:28 AM »
I have a 2017 California Touring.

Handling is very good for such a big girl.
Brakes are terrific!

The stock windshield - even with the deflectors - pummels my head from side to
side at highway speeds. I replaced it with a Swanee fairing from Harper's. I could
read the paper behind that rig now.

Engine is good, but I'm spoilt. My Triumph Rocket III Touring has SO much torque.
The Cali isn't in the same league, but really has plenty of power. 6th is really an
overdrive for the Interstate. 5th is technically an overdrive; the bike is happy with
at least 3K to 3.5K on the tach. Mileage is mid to high 30s for me. Sweet spot around
70 or so - no vibration.

I replaced the stock seat with a Corbin and added some highway pegs. Comfortable
all day. Suspension is okay. No problems, even 2 up.

Some people like heel and toe shifters - other despise them. I don't like the arrangement
on the aforementioned Triumph, but the setup on the Cali works very well for me.

I haven't played with traction control - I just leave it on setting one, which is the least
restrictive. The bike has power, but I don't know what you'd need to be doing to require
traction control. Something, apparently, more than I'm doing.....

There are 3 maps: Piaggio(rain), Touring, and Veloce. I like Veloce - best throttle response.
The rain setting isn't really needed in my opinion, Touring is fine. There doesn't seem to be
much difference in mileage between Touring and Veloce.

I tried the bike on a logging road, and it handled like a pig on stilts. Oddly enough, spinning
the rear wheel on wet grass 2 up was pretty controllable and didn't really upset the plot.
Go figure.....

Nice bike, though.  :azn: Mine is red - and it IS the fastest color.   :thumb:

-Stretch

Thanks for the excellent write ups Stretch and ff3148!  :thumb:
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline vintagehoarder

• Cycle Hoarders
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Ride to Eat, Eat To Ride
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #22 on: September 15, 2021, 10:06:49 AM »
I've owned over 100 bikes in the course of my life, and I will say that my 2014 California Touring bought new in 2014, is probably my favorite bike of all time. I'm a big guy 6'1" 280 pounds and the bike fits me like a glove, I can tour forever on it and my old arthritic body isn't crippled.  Can't say that for any of our other bikes.  Best touring bike I've ever had.  I love it!

Cyclehoarders Garage
2021 Honda CT125 Trail Cub
2018 Triumph Tiger 800
2014 Moto Guzzi California Touring 1400
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Speical
2009 Vepsa GTS 250 ie
1987 Suzuki Samurai (4 Wheels)
1981 Honda CX500 Deluxe
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado 850
1969 Yamaha YAS1C
La Grange, KY

Online kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: September 15, 2021, 10:46:28 AM »
I've owned over 100 bikes in the course of my life, and I will say that my 2014 California Touring bought new in 2014, is probably my favorite bike of all time. I'm a big guy 6'1" 280 pounds and the bike fits me like a glove, I can tour forever on it and my old arthritic body isn't crippled.  Can't say that for any of our other bikes.  Best touring bike I've ever had.  I love it!

HA ! 
I will see your White Moto Guzzi, and raise you one red Moto Guzzi !

:bike-037:

Offline vintagehoarder

• Cycle Hoarders
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Ride to Eat, Eat To Ride
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #24 on: September 15, 2021, 10:57:25 AM »

HA ! 
I will see your White Moto Guzzi, and raise you one red Moto Guzzi !

My man!!
Cyclehoarders Garage
2021 Honda CT125 Trail Cub
2018 Triumph Tiger 800
2014 Moto Guzzi California Touring 1400
2014 Moto Guzzi V7 Speical
2009 Vepsa GTS 250 ie
1987 Suzuki Samurai (4 Wheels)
1981 Honda CX500 Deluxe
1973 Moto Guzzi Eldorado 850
1969 Yamaha YAS1C
La Grange, KY

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: September 15, 2021, 02:24:34 PM »
Here’s my girl , which I would still have if she had not been unfaithful, cheated on me twice 😂

Offline Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: September 15, 2021, 03:24:50 PM »
Here's mine. It has been a great bike.

Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #27 on: September 15, 2021, 03:37:58 PM »
.....based on a couple of test rides, great motorcycle.  I tried to buy one.

Same here.  I was smitten with the blue Custom variant.  Tried to buy a couple, but didn't work out.

I did ride Pete Roper's Tour version and it was pretty fantastic.  Amazing engine power and feel.
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: September 15, 2021, 04:26:53 PM »
Great looking bikes all!
Now I really want one........
inditx
inditx

This is the day.....

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: September 15, 2021, 06:33:45 PM »
I had an MGX-21 for 9 months & 3500 miles.
- Unique
- Heavy
- Awkward at low speeds
- Unstable at high speeds (over 90)
- VERY nice handling at speeds above 20 and under 85. Very stable and capable.
- Beautiful butter smooth power
- Fantastic Mile Muncher and felt totally fresh after 500 mile + days
- Terrible fuel mileage on my commute to work, best was 35MPG
- Useless luggage space, added Guzzi top case to help
- Only Guzzi with heat problems, shot hot air out the injector protector covers
- Poor back lighting on the gauges
- Right gauge fogged and left streamy streaks on the backside of the glass
- Cruise Control was wonky

I traded my Norge for it, and wish I had gone for a Touring or Eldo. Sold it and bought a Convert and 1200 Sport and bought Tesla Stock with the balance. :afro:

MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here