Author Topic: New Bikes  (Read 611 times)

Offline stubbie

• Gosling
New Bikes
« on: September 18, 2021, 12:21:14 AM »
Was at a Kawasaki dealer this morning looking at used bikes. The owner was saying they cannot get new bikes from Japan and Thailand because there is a container shortage. He said the price of new bikes "may" go up as empty containers were now being sent their way and the shipping companies will need to recoup that cost somehow. He also said that China had been stockpiling empty containers for their own use later on.  Also because he is not selling new bikes he has no trade-ins so he was going to be short of used bikes. I guess that may push up the price. How true all this is, I don't know but something to ponder. So i might hurry and find a used bike pronto.

Offline nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
Re: New Bikes
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 01:16:04 AM »
From what I've been hearing and reading, this is a bad time to be looking to buy any kind of vehicle, new or used, from pickup trucks to riding mowers.

If you have something to sell, however, this is a great time to do that.
1990 MilleGT

Offline twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 09:49:51 PM »
Was at a Kawasaki dealer this morning looking at used bikes. The owner was saying they cannot get new bikes from Japan and Thailand because there is a container shortage. He said the price of new bikes "may" go up as empty containers were now being sent their way and the shipping companies will need to recoup that cost somehow. He also said that China had been stockpiling empty containers for their own use later on.  Also because he is not selling new bikes he has no trade-ins so he was going to be short of used bikes. I guess that may push up the price. How true all this is, I don't know but something to ponder. So i might hurry and find a used bike pronto.

Of course prices will only go up as long as there are people willing to part with their money.  Supply and demand has always been true.  I bought my new Kawasaki KLX300SM in June for MSRP and no crazy fees that some dealers try and charge.  Honda has had some of the steepest discounts on motorcycles I've ever seen.  When they try something new and it doesn't work out too well they drop the price until guys like me think "for the money I might give that a try." 
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Offline Scud

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 10:00:53 PM »
Shortages everywhere... so that all makes sense. 

I went to a BMW open house today to take a ride on the new R18, which I rather enjoyed except for a completely unacceptable vibration at 4000-4800 RPM. I mean vibration like an orbital sander under the seat. I talked to a guy who bought one just to cruise slow and he never revs it over 4000. He said BMW is cutting prices big time on these bikes.

So... if you want one of those, they may be available at a discount.
1989 Moto Guzzi LeMans
2002 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport Scura
2017 Husqvarna 701 Enduro
2017 Moto Guzzi Stelvio NTX
2020 Yamaha TW200

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 10:00:53 PM »

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 10:45:49 AM »
The local Euro shop has a good supply of Triumphs and Beemers but have no new Ducatis.  According to the salesman, Ducati hasn't been shipping bikes for several months.  He speculated that it was due to the FBI investigating corruption in the North American operations.  He also said the few bikes available have only been allocated to the big volume Ducati dealers.  One of the Ducati forums had a post mentioning his new Duc was titled as a '22 model.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here