Author Topic: Anyone Doing Rackless luggage on the V85?  (Read 711 times)

Amstaff

Anyone Doing Rackless luggage on the V85?
« on: September 18, 2021, 06:35:51 AM »
Hey,

Wondering how many have been doing RACKLESS soft luggage panniers on the V85? I have the version that came sans luggage, and don’t want hard panniers. Thinking about the Hepco Becker Xtravel/C-Bow set up. However, even that is too much like hard luggage with the brackets that stay on when the panniers are not in use.

Anyone with experience with any of the rackless alternatives? Does the rear trellis support adequately, or are there problems with the bags draping inwards in the rear wheel tunnel?

Thanks if there’s a reader who’s done or seen this on the V85.

Offline skippy

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: Anyone Doing Rackless luggage on the V85?
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 11:13:39 AM »
Soft bags are definitely the way to go if you are planning any serious off asphalt riding while loaded up with luggage. However, most of the decently sized soft bags that I have seen do hang down quite a bit and as such they usually rely on some sort of rigid support behind them. Especially on the left side where you not only need a little bit of air gap between the bags and the muffler you will also need some sort of heat shield.

Most of the soft luggage manufactures have installation demo's on line and they often start with a hard bag rack as the basis. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ei_AkYiYg98

Skippy
23 V100 Mandello
20 V85TT

Offline Chethro

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 12:03:04 PM »
I run SW Motech Sys bags. I made a small plastic plate to mount in place of the X piece on the rack. A Sys15 bag bolts & straps to the rack. I can hang 2 Sys10's off either side or you could do a Sys15 on the no-exhaust side and a Sys10 on the other. I made up a C-bow mount for a Sys30 bag which I ran on a recent trip with no problems. Two bolts and it comes off. I don't carry a passenger so this wouldn't work for two unless you moved everything back. A few different views of various combinations. Very light weight and fully waterproof. You could put the Sys30 bag on top of everything and not mount it on the side as well. I was going to run it that way, but I like to swing my leg over and it made it a tad too tall for me. Doable, but not comfortable to do so.

« Last Edit: September 18, 2021, 12:11:28 PM by Chethro »
2018 DR 650
2020 V85TT
2022 V7 850 Stone

Amstaff

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 02:54:26 PM »
I’ll have to check out that SW Motech system. Hadnt seen them before.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2021, 02:54:26 PM »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here