Author Topic: Rough Edge's Ducati  (Read 688 times)

Offline Petrus Rocks

• Gosling
Rough Edge's Ducati
« on: September 18, 2021, 07:47:04 AM »
Tony had given me first dibs on his 900 if he ever sold it.  The call came a few weeks ago.  I know what he's done to the bike and really liked riding it.
I didn't blink, pulled the trigger.  Then it was hmmm, where to get cash.  I have several bikes so something had to go.

I race AHRMA vintage motocross and cross country.  In June I bottomed my short travel CZ hard racing at Unadilla.  Messed my back up enough to    cease racing this season and seek medical help. 

I have three short travel motocross bikes-a 75 Can Am 250, a 73 CZ400 and a 70 CZ 250.
I plan to keep one.  Won't be doing a lot of racing on them anymore.
I won my class on the CZ 250 last year and really like the bike.  However within two days I sold it for what I spent on the Ducati.

Rough Edge has upgraded the Duc with many excellent options.  Chief for me was a Sargent seat, Ohlins on the back, and bar risers with  an inch of setback.  You sit upright, and the seat is low, easy to swing a cripple's leg over.  The seat is the most comfortable of any streetbike I own.  I was able to put 500 miles on it in two weeks! 

Two other V twins in the stable are my '85 Guzzi cafe and my Buell Ulysses.  Replacing the cardamon joint in the Guzzi meant it is disassembled waiting for a part. 

Direct comparison with my Buell- The Duc motor has a great rush from four grand to eight.  The Buell pulls from three to six grand,  lots more torque low and has 25+ more HP.  The height of the Buell makes it harder to get on and off.  The Buell has been my benchmark for handling for years.  Well the lower, lighter (a little) Duc has the Buell beat.   Excellent steering and flickability.  The Buell has more weight up top and it shows in tight turns.    I live in the Finger lakes and was able to get 220 miles on it in a day.  The Sargent seat was magic.

Tony put on pod filters and tuned the carbs well.  With free flowing exhaust cans on it is great fun, very similar to the Buell rush.  The sound and the handling begged me to flog it. 

So I did-Belissimo!!

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
Re: Rough Edge's Ducati
« Reply #1 on: September 18, 2021, 07:53:04 AM »
Good deal!

I'd like to see some pics of your Can-Am 250 please.  Lusted after the TNT 175 when they came out.  Too poor to even consider it at the time....
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #2 on: September 18, 2021, 08:39:41 AM »

Two other V twins in the stable are my '85 Guzzi cafe and my Buell Ulysses.  Replacing the cardamon joint in the Guzzi meant it is disassembled waiting for a part. 

https://www.lybrate.com/topic/benefits-of-cardamom-and-its-side-effects

http://global.dana.com/light-vehicles/products/driveline/propshafts/cardan
Charlie

Offline Petrus Rocks

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 09:34:01 AM »
Here's a couple of pics.  First is post Bear Creek race in Hancock NY a few years ago.

Second is the new up pipe from Dynoport.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2021, 09:34:01 AM »

Offline Petrus Rocks

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2021, 09:35:51 AM »
cardan joint

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2021, 10:05:55 AM »
AKA constant velocity joint.......

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #6 on: September 18, 2021, 10:38:07 AM »
Those little Ducatis are really something special.   Hope you enjoy it.   Kindly post a photo of your new toy.
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2021, 01:57:28 PM »
Here's a couple of pics.  First is post Bear Creek race in Hancock NY a few years ago.

Second is the new up pipe from Dynoport.

Very nice.  Thank you!
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline Petrus Rocks

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: September 19, 2021, 02:25:39 PM »
He can depending on his mood  :grin:

Love the color

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here