Author Topic: Tuning tip  (Read 1420 times)

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
Tuning tip
« on: September 19, 2021, 12:50:50 PM »
Doc Harley ‘splains why you should change your spark plugs at 10K miles. Good general information that applies to all  especially with the modern pump gas which he doesn’t mention. In the old days it was considered good practice to use a file to restore sharp edges. With modern fuels once the engine has flooded  the plug porcelain gets contaminated, it takes special methods to clean it which is nearly impossible, according to a tech rep from AC and it causes more problems than it cures. Just replace them at 10K miles, something I’ve not been doing, especially if they are expensive  platinum unless I’m chasing a problem. https://youtu.be/Sk7oguB9ApU
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
Re: Tuning tip
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 06:33:53 PM »
Unless the plugs are bad.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline Stratodisaster

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2021, 07:26:43 AM »
Changing plugs at 10k is a total waste of time and money.
Scuotere sonaglio e rotolare

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 09:22:05 AM »
Changing plugs at 10k is a total waste of time and money.

Agreed, i posted it because it seemed like there was a spate of posts on rough running and misfires. modern plugs work so well they are often overlooked and I have to convince myself to periodically replace them. 
John
MGNOC L-471
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2021, 09:22:05 AM »

Offline Stratodisaster

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2021, 01:33:10 PM »
I ran the originals in my gmc over 140k. It was still running as good as it did with the new replacements. It’s amazing how long things last nowadays. When I was in my teens 100k on a car was rare without major work having been done. If you got to that mileage you couldn’t hardly give it away much less sell it.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2021, 02:43:37 PM »
I was in the pits with Jim Baron while The Kid was changing plugs in the race bike. He told me every time he removes a plug, he puts in a new one. "You can't believe the problems I've seen that were only fouled plugs."
I've gotta agree. They are two freakin dollars..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2021, 02:44:59 PM »
My 2021 V7 E5 (850) has iridium-tipped plugs and yet the maintenance schedule requires changing them every 10,000 km (~6200 mi).  This doesn't make sense to me.  If you're going to change them that often, then why use iridium tips?  Any insight will be appreciated.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Online Vagrant

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2021, 02:53:31 PM »
Same plug in the V85 is at 18,600 miles. That was probobly intended to have standard plugs.
HE IS FREE WHO LIVES AS HE CHOOSES
2016 V7II, 2017 V7-III Blue special, 2022 V85 the fast red one! 2016 650 Versys
L-196, L-197

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2021, 03:07:27 PM »
My 2021 V7 E5 (850) has iridium-tipped plugs and yet the maintenance schedule requires changing them every 10,000 km (~6200 mi).  This doesn't make sense to me. If you're going to change them that often, then why use iridium tips?  Any insight will be appreciated.

Absolutely. The only real value of iridium is extended life.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Stratodisaster

• New Egg
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2021, 04:15:09 PM »
If I was racing I might do things differently but I’m not. Iridium and platinum plugs should last between 60 and 150k. On my bike I look at them when I’m doing a valve adjustment. As long as they look good and I’m having no problems I run them.

Offline pete mcgee

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2021, 06:46:38 PM »
I can understand the 5000mile change spark plugs of yesteryears. Plain sparkplugs, leaded fuel, poor airfiltration ( yes that means you K & N), weakish coil output etc.
Todays iriium plugs are brilliant and rarely wear or fail.
Using these also greatly reduces wear on the threads that hold the plug in, just remember the anti seize. A mk 3 lemans in heavy rush hour traffic in 34 deg heat spitting a live spark plug agaist your leg IS a learning experience and an unwanted distraction.
I recently removed the iridiums from my sons car at 80, 000 km as the manual called for change, all were a good colour all had the standard gap, no they didnt have antiseize OEM fit from new. They could have gone back in with no issues.
So if you run them maybe pull them every 40,000 km and have a look, change if gap is expanding or theres damage.
Pete (no not the Bungendore one)

Light travels faster than sound, which is why some people look intelligent until you hear them speak....

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2021, 01:20:10 AM »
My 2021 V7 E5 (850) has iridium-tipped plugs and yet the maintenance schedule requires changing them every 10,000 km (~6200 mi).  This doesn't make sense to me.  If you're going to change them that often, then why use iridium tips?  Any insight will be appreciated.

Do note that it often takes some time for Guzzi to update its manuals. I wouldn't be surprised if some of the info & diagrams in the service manual have not been updated either. Situation normal, commonsense recommended.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #12 on: September 21, 2021, 05:53:52 AM »
I'm putting on my Carnac hat and predicting that spark plug threads are the new oil threads......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TU346p1SYmQ
« Last Edit: September 21, 2021, 06:32:56 AM by SIR REAL ED »
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #13 on: September 21, 2021, 05:59:27 AM »
my 2020 v85, bought in July 2019 has nearly 18,000 miles.  when i did the 12,000 mile service at about 13,000 the plugs looked fine so they went back in.  they also did not look like iridium or platinum or any other special thing, just like regular plugs.  over the past few thousand miles, it has started to be the slightest bit bulky from a cold start as in you push the button and it runs a little rough for about 20 seconds, or advancing the throttle for a few seconds clears it right up so i may try some fresh ones at the 18,000 service.
Blue Guzz

Offline Stratodisaster

• New Egg
« Reply #14 on: September 21, 2021, 07:28:54 AM »
I can understand the 5000mile change spark plugs of yesteryears. Plain sparkplugs, leaded fuel, poor airfiltration ( yes that means you K & N), weakish coil output etc.
Todays iriium plugs are brilliant and rarely wear or fail.
Using these also greatly reduces wear on the threads that hold the plug in, just remember the anti seize. A mk 3 lemans in heavy rush hour traffic in 34 deg heat spitting a live spark plug agaist your leg IS a learning experience and an unwanted distraction.
I recently removed the iridiums from my sons car at 80, 000 km as the manual called for change, all were a good colour all had the standard gap, no they didnt have antiseize OEM fit from new. They could have gone back in with no issues.
So if you run them maybe pull them every 40,000 km and have a look, change if gap is expanding or theres damage.
       +1. Well said.

Offline sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2021, 07:52:30 AM »
So, if I'm going to keep running the iridium plugs for a long time, but still remove the plugs to adjust the valves every 6200 miles, then the spark plug washers will eventually flatten and not do their job.  Are there such things as replacement spark plug washers?  Alternatively, is there a way to adjust valve lash without removing the spark plugs?  Again, any advice will be appreciated.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2021, 07:59:25 AM »
The thing that used to kill plugs is no longer a thing, lead bromide in fuel.

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2021, 08:00:12 AM »
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Offline Stratodisaster

• New Egg
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2021, 07:44:37 PM »
FWIW....

https://www.ngk.com/can-old-spark-plugs-be-cleaned
.                                                                          More bs. The give away is the part where they say to let the brake cleaner sit for 10 minutes. That’s about 8.5 to 9 minutes of doing nothing

Offline SmithSwede

• Gaggle Hero
  • I don't want a pickle
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2021, 08:45:47 PM »
On my V7 Stone, the plugs look pretty grotty after 10 to 12K miles.  Gap noticeably widened, ground wire rounded, all kinds of brown crap on insulator.  I’m not going to file the ground square, or try to re-gap it.  I change them.  They are cheap.  And sure enough, it runs better with fresh plugs. 

In my opinion, you can save money not changing the oil filter so often.  Once every second or third oil change (12 to 18K miles) is fine. 

Same for air filter.  Unless you live 20 miles down a dirt road, I’d run the air filter for 30 to 40K miles. 

In contrast, I like good spark. 
Accentuate the positive;
Eliminate the negative;
Latch on to the affirmative;
Don't mess with Mister In-Between.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2021, 03:39:23 PM »
On my V7 Stone, the plugs look pretty grotty after 10 to 12K miles.  Gap noticeably widened, ground wire rounded, all kinds of brown crap on insulator.  I’m not going to file the ground square, or try to re-gap it.  I change them.  They are cheap.  And sure enough, it runs better with fresh plugs. 

In my opinion, you can save money not changing the oil filter so often.  Once every second or third oil change (12 to 18K miles) is fine. 

Same for air filter.  Unless you live 20 miles down a dirt road, I’d run the air filter for 30 to 40K miles. 

In contrast, I like good spark.
Spoken like a high miler..  :thumb: and although I don't do your kind of miles any more, I agree.

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Mr Revhead

• Gosling
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2021, 03:48:05 AM »
Something to note, you can't tell how good a plug is just by looking at it. You have no idea I'd the resistance has climbed.
Higher resistance means the coils have a harder life. The number one cause of dead coils in modern ignition is plugs and leads not being changed enough and making them work harder

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here