Author Topic: 1948 GTV question  (Read 266 times)

Offline stanfromhell

• New Egg
1948 GTV question
« on: February 12, 2023, 06:01:59 PM »
I am in the process of removing the kickstart sprag gear in order to replace the drive sprocket and felt seal on the output shaft. The retaining nut is very very tight and I'm beginning to wonder if it is a left or right hand thread. The teeth on the sprag gear would always be trying to loosen  the nut when kicking the lever to start the engine if it was a right hand thread. I've used brute force on things before and regretted it so I'm asking for help this time. Thanks in advance.     

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
Re: 1948 GTV question
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2023, 08:53:55 PM »
My records suggest right hand thread.

1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
Re: 1948 GTV question
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2023, 11:49:53 PM »
Standard right-hand thread.  That gear is going to turn clockwise when you kick start.  It will lock against the spring loaded ratchet gear to the interior. and will then turn the engine via the clutch shaft.

You need a socket with four prongs to pull the outer nut without damaging.  You could use a hammer and chisel but would likely distort the four notches in the outer nut.  Get or make the right tool.  An air gun would be a big help to add shock rather than torque.

There is another notched nut between the gear and sprocket which is locked in place by a very short grub screw. Sometimes difficult to extract.

Where are you located?  Maybe someone nearby can loan it?  Are you subscribed on the "Guzzi-Singles" forum over at GoogleGroups.com?

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA
Falcone, SuuperAlce
« Last Edit: February 14, 2023, 11:52:46 PM by pehayes »

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here