Author Topic: Unkept's V11 LeMans Repair, Maybe Restoration, Thread  (Read 114576 times)

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Unkept's V11 LeMans Repair, Maybe Restoration, Thread
« Reply #60 on: March 12, 2014, 07:50:16 AM »
Good OH

Don't you have bearing factors (shops) in the industrial estates in the USA like we do in the UK  ;)
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: March 12, 2014, 07:54:20 AM »
Good OH

Don't you have bearing factors (shops) in the industrial estates in the USA like we do in the UK  ;)

We have plenty of them. The internet has put up some competition for them of late.
'96 California 1100i 160,000 mi
'97 Centauro yellow 25,000 mi
'02 Champagne V11 LeMans 58,000 mi
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel
« Reply #62 on: March 12, 2014, 07:57:24 AM »
The closest bearing shop to me wants $80+ for it...

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2014, 08:05:36 AM »
Bits of gasket junk are all over the engine case... what to do...

A single edged razor blade will get that little stuff. Permatex makes an aerosol gasket remover if it is *really* stuck down.. but it is also an extremely effective paint remover.  :o Careful where you spray it..

A piece of 1/8" pipe about 8 inches long makes a perfect extension handle for an allen wrench. I've used Tom's wrench method myself in a pinch. ;D
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: March 12, 2014, 08:05:36 AM »

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: March 12, 2014, 08:06:39 AM »
The closest bearing shop to me wants $80+ for it...

I suspect it's the TN9/MT33 that doubled or tripled the price. Given what Tris mentioned the suffix is a waste of money.
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: March 12, 2014, 08:55:30 AM »
I suspect it's the TN9/MT33 that doubled or tripled the price. Given what Tris mentioned the suffix is a waste of money.

A good point.

Give them a go with the 3303A-2RS bit and see what they come up with
SKF, FAG or NSK are all good brands
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

Offline Howard R

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #66 on: March 12, 2014, 11:05:01 AM »
I'll pass along this hint that I got from someone on here (Maybe Rodekyll?  Thanks, whoever it was!) for the crank nut.  Go to your local hardware store plumbing section, or even Harbor Freight (where I got mine) and get this:

http://www.harborfreight.com/shower-valve-socket-wrench-set-96322.html

The crank nut is 32 mm, which is pretty darn close to 1 9/32" so make sure the set you get has that size.  I was somewhat leery at first about these things being strong enough to withstand the torque, but in practice there was no problem.  The wall thickness on my set is about 1 mm, so they're plenty beefy.  I cascaded them the get enough length, putting another wrench on the end of the one on the crank nut to get the needed length, plus get down to a size of socket I have.

Another hint, on those two big yellow wires for the alternator/rectifier: they are interchangeable, will work either way, so you don't have to worry about getting them matched back the same way you found them.  One thing to look out for is any sign of burning or discoloration from heat.  Take a pair of needle nose pliers and tighten up the female connectors, to make sure you are getting good contact.
Littlestown, PA  USA

1996 Sport 1100
1998 Centauro

MGNOC # L-707

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #67 on: March 12, 2014, 12:29:53 PM »
A single edged razor blade will get that little stuff. Permatex makes an aerosol gasket remover if it is *really* stuck down.. but it is also an extremely effective paint remover.  :o Careful where you spray it..

A piece of 1/8" pipe about 8 inches long makes a perfect extension handle for an allen wrench. I've used Tom's wrench method myself in a pinch. ;D

Even better

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/GovernmentSolutions/Home/ProductInformation/ProductCatalog/?N=4294944182&rt=d
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Mad Mac

« Reply #68 on: March 12, 2014, 08:12:17 PM »
This thread is great, but I sure hope I don't have to do my 01 EV.  So far, all I've done is the air and fuel filter.  This is a trivial question, but I noticed the fuel filter looks smaller in diameter than the bracket, same as mine. Can it be left loose or does it need to be secured?  What's a good way to do that?  Anyone?

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2014, 08:18:43 PM »
This thread is great, but I sure hope I don't have to do my 01 EV.  So far, all I've done is the air and fuel filter.  This is a trivial question, but I noticed the fuel filter looks smaller in diameter than the bracket, same as mine. Can it be left loose or does it need to be secured?  What's a good way to do that?  Anyone?

I used a NAPA fuel filter on mine and just wrapped several layers of Duct tape around filter where it goes into clamp. Clamp tightens up fine on that.

Mark

oldbike54

« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2014, 08:37:46 PM »

Old inner tube .
Dusty

Sent from a submarine in Oklahoma .

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: March 14, 2014, 12:40:40 PM »
FWIW, it was mentioned on the LeMans board years ago the champagne paint was an exact match to a Nissan color on '02 or '03.
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: March 14, 2014, 12:43:09 PM »
FWIW, it was mentioned on the LeMans board years ago the champagne paint was an exact match to a Nissan color on '02 or '03.

I absolutely hope that's true!  ;-T

Thanks for the responses guys. Things got kinda crazy these past few days, expect a major update from me this weekend sometime.

-Joe

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #73 on: March 14, 2014, 12:52:09 PM »
Also from the same board I bought a triangular shaped cover that mounted to the front of the swingarm to keep rain water out of the transmission breather. While you have yours apart would be a good time to do the same thing. You may have to make your own. It's as simple as falling off a chair.
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: April 07, 2014, 03:36:36 PM »
Well guys, no "real" updates for now, but (!) I did receive my first batch of parts today.  ;-T

Thanks Sam and Lisa at Moto International. :)

This weekend I'll be heading to Chuck's to take a stab at some Guzzi fixin'... wish me luck  ;D

-Joe

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #75 on: April 07, 2014, 04:49:44 PM »
Good luck.  ;D

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2014, 06:34:46 AM »
I'll add to Joe's thread a little. He took pix of an all day blitz removing a bolt with an eze out stuck in it, other destroyed bolts, broken bolts, frozen swing arm bearings, etc. This scooter has been a commuter without much love and it shows it.  ;D I'll let him update that stuff..
First, let me give a shout out to the guy that designed the Mojo Lever for the HF tire changer. Naturally, I converted my useless guaranteed to scratch your rims HF lever to one, and made some Mojo blocks out of always laying around the shop delrin. FREE. (Guzzi content)  ;D It was by far the easiest tire change I've ever done..

Joe wanted some bar ends installed on his fancy new bars, so I gave him the oem bar ends off the Norge. They were just laying around taking up space, so I thought I'd adapt them, and it would be a fun job instead of the cave man labor we'd been doing..
Rummaged around in my miscellaneous good junk and expansion reamer drawer for a bastard sized reamer to give me something to work with. The bars are made out of welded steel tubing with the ends heavily rolled over, so I needed to make the ends straight.

Found just what I needed, chucked it up in my antique  ::) half inch drill and had at it.

Turned a couple of plugs to fit the reamed surface with a medium press fit, and tapped through for the bar end bolts.

Brought out my lifetime supply of heavy duty cylindrical bonding LocTite. Looks like I timed that about right. :( shouldn't have to buy any more..

Cleaned the inside of the bar and the plug with lacquer thinner, and put the Loctite on both parts.

Drove those suckers in the ends of the bars, and bolted the bar end weights on. Pretty nice, if I do say so.  ;D

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2014, 08:22:01 AM »
Thanks Chuck!

My shock was shipped last night to Ducati of Indianapolis. They will be rebuilding my Ohlins rear shock, woo!

-Joe

oldbike54

« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2014, 09:39:15 AM »
Gotta love a man who buys Loctite by the gallon  ;-T :D Keep on it Joe .
Dusty

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2014, 03:07:12 PM »
Gotta love a man who buys Loctite by the gallon  ;-T :D Keep on it Joe .
Dusty

Gotta Guzzi, ya know.. ;D :BEER:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

oldbike54

« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2014, 03:14:23 PM »
Gotta Guzzi, ya know.. ;D :BEER:
Well, ... there is that  :D
Dusty

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #81 on: April 18, 2014, 09:22:15 AM »
Update:

So a few weeks ago I tackled a few more minor things.

Dirty... let's clean it up just a bit.

Houston, we have oil weepage.

Let's follow the oil return line, first you must remove the starter cover.

Here is the oil return line from the frame to the lower sump.

Here's our nasty oily cam sensor.

And this is the oil pressure sensor.

There is a gasket and oring for the cam sensor.

Here you can see how the sensor works, by sensor each pass of the teeth on the top cam drive.

I've been reading that the gasket thickness is imperative for the sensor to read the teeth correctly, I'll try and measure the differences when I receive the new gasket... IF I receive the new gasket.
Here is that oil pressure sensor removed.

And they are both free! Look at the gunk intrusion where the one gasket was placed.

I noticed the oil line here to the cylinder heads was a bit weepy.

Lots of oil coming from the nasty and falling apart oil evap hose.

Disconnecting the selenoid bracket.

Removing the spark plug wiring.

That's all for what I did a few weeks ago. Then this past weekend I took some goodies down to Chuck's place.

First things first, Chuck decided we would tackle the bolts I ruined when trying to remove my rear rotor.

He used his fancy CNC machining skills to measure a few bolts, the computer then knew the location of each of the other bolts! It creates a 3d pattern of the six bolts and the computer knows how to center on each one automagically.
The legendary Chuck at work.

He is drilling out the centers of the bolts, and next we had to heat the bolt and extract them using *much* better tools than my easy outs.

These tools were also used to extract the broken bolt I had on my front subframe, it held on the oil cooler bracket.

Meanwhile, chuck had me string up (literally) some lights for our paint booth.

Not the best job ever... but my first time running wiring like this. It was fun actually!

Chuck didn't believe me when it came to removing the swingarm bearings... but they were frozen solid in there.

The heat gun didn't help removing these with a bearing puller, so welding would be necessary!

Creating a spacer tube for the bolt puller system.

Bearing free!

I had some flaking paint and corrosion on many parts. I did prep work to get them paintable, although I didn't remove all of the paint as much of it was really stuck on there.
Mostly I'm looking for corrosion prevention.

Chuck lent me his knowledge and tools and I got to cleanin'

The selenoid bracket was one of the nasty bits.

After scuffing up and cleaning parts, we started taping things off to paint.

My constant companion.

Make sure your paint booth is properly ventilated.

And shield nearby beauties from overspray!

We cleaned the parts with de-greaser once more, and I began painting. It was anti-climactic though, as my fancy HD crinkle paint can was defective. :(

That's it for photos I have, Chuck already posted some stuff he did after ward. Here was one shot I have of him cleaning the ends of my bars before he went full out and got bar ends equipped.

We then met the Indiana Guzzitsi at David and Diane's place and had a great time. :) I forgot to take more pics, but here is ChuckH's beautiful Stelvio!

I have a long weekend, and I'll tackle some more bits that I can on the Guzzi soon. I won't be back at Chuck's until the beginning of May... so this project won't be done until sometime after that.

Look forward to more updates, I hope you are all still enjoying this thread!

-Joe
« Last Edit: April 18, 2014, 09:24:01 AM by Unkept »

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #82 on: April 18, 2014, 10:32:35 AM »
those stubborn rotor bolts have a shallow button head.. My friend Marty showed me a trick, he lay the wheel with rotor on a hot plate, the button heads were the only thing contacting the heating plate so they warmed up real nice and screwed right out. the factory does know how to slather on the lock tight.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: April 18, 2014, 10:37:18 AM »
those stubborn rotor bolts have a shallow button head.. My friend Marty showed me a trick, he lay the wheel with rotor on a hot plate, the button heads were the only thing contacting the heating plate so they warmed up real nice and screwed right out. the factory does know how to slather on the lock tight.

Nice tip! Thanks. I'll remember that one for next time.  ;-T

Shouldn't be so hard next time though.  ;D

-Joe

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #84 on: April 18, 2014, 10:40:07 AM »
NICE PICS BY THE WAY!
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline twhitaker

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #85 on: April 18, 2014, 11:44:07 AM »
That gasket for the cam position sensor is actually a shim and is used to correct for the tolerances of machining. IMHO, the spacer thickness is determined mostly from crankcase machining. IOW, use that one over.

The o-ring on the sensor is supposed to do the sealing and does it.....not very well. I painted the bore not very far with silicone and slathered some more around the o-ring and 'gasket'.

There have been some sensors that are leaky allowing oil to migrate through. There's a Loctite product that cures that.
MGNOC-11168
Dayton, OH

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #86 on: April 18, 2014, 02:35:58 PM »
That gasket for the cam position sensor is actually a shim and is used to correct for the tolerances of machining. IMHO, the spacer thickness is determined mostly from crankcase machining. IOW, use that one over.

The o-ring on the sensor is supposed to do the sealing and does it.....not very well. I painted the bore not very far with silicone and slathered some more around the o-ring and 'gasket'.

There have been some sensors that are leaky allowing oil to migrate through. There's a Loctite product that cures that.

Thanks for the correction, I'll look into a solution on this before I reassemble. :) It's been fun figuring these things out.

-Joe

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: April 28, 2014, 01:31:47 PM »
Ok, let's service these forks. Like many times on Guzzis, the time I do it is the first time.  ::) So.. here's the blind leading the blind version.
First, turn the adjusting screw all the way ccw. Count the clicks so you can put it back to the same damping when you're done.

Then, the top can be removed.

Once unscrewed, there is a blue nut that can be held with a wrench and the top removed. Sorry, I missed a picture of this operation because I was using my third hand to hold the bottom slider to keep it from falling out.  ;D
You can pour the oil out of in now. Here it's drip drying..

Now, lets get the cartridge out of there..pull the bottom slider out of the top tube, put it in a padded vise, and loosen the bolt the holds the cartridge in.

Probably be a good idea to keep track of where the parts go.. Clean em up.

This is why it's a good idea to service your forks. Probably hadn't been done for a while.

Now, let's replace the seal. Use your special Guzzi tool to pry up the dust seal.

and get this stupid snap ring out of there. They could have used an E ring, but noooo.. that would be too easy.  ;D

Perseverance..

Once the snap ring is out, it's an easy job for a seal puller. It just pops right out.

You can install the new seal with your fingers. I used a big hunker socket and tapped it around the edges so I could put the stupid snap ring back in.

Ok, we're essentially done now. Put a little fork oil on your finger and lube the seal lip. Slide it back together, bolt the cartridge back in, and pour in 400cc of fork oil. Work the cartridge up and down until you hear that great sucking sound.  ;D You can see the blue nut you hold to tighten down the top nut in this picture.

Nothing left to do except screw on the top nut, lock it with the blue jam nut thingy (technical term) and screw the top nut home.
Another job to throw on the done pile. If a shop charges you more than an hour labor they're slackin.  ;D

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: April 28, 2014, 01:41:31 PM »
Thanks for that Chuck.  ;-T

I'll have more photos and work done this week as well. Waiting to hear back from Moto International about a few more parts.  ;D

Offline arveno

• Gaggle Hero
    • ddleathers.com
« Reply #89 on: April 28, 2014, 01:43:49 PM »
good job !! ;-T

thanks for sharing .

I was wondering who's guzzi next to the airplane ? looks like a strada... do u have any more picture ? look nice with those hard bags....

thanks
Marco

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here