Author Topic: Bacon Slicer project  (Read 93755 times)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Re: Bacon Slicer project
« Reply #60 on: August 14, 2017, 02:52:19 PM »
You get all the fun.   :sad:  The best thing I ever found in a bike toolbox was a .32 Walther.  A little PPK.  Exciting to find, but less useful than those pliars in your horde.  I couldn't even make a hole in a target by throwing it.   :coffee:

"Does anyone have any recommendations for preservation of the Shroud of Mandello?    :popcorn:"

Extra virgin olive oil -- synth.  Someone else will come along with the appropriate weight and API.   :evil:

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2017, 05:20:51 PM »
Oh, I'd never use synthetic on a shroud. It'll bleach that image right out..
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #62 on: August 14, 2017, 08:31:04 PM »
Remember it's fabric, Chuck, not metal.  :rolleyes: Or are we talking different shrouds?   :undecided:

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2017, 12:13:46 AM »
Ha! A friend of a friend supposes Grappa is a good preservative...   :grin:

Time to work on the exhaust system.  Some time with bronze wool and elbow grease helped.

But like everything else - it's complicated.  First were the damaged 7mm studs and nuts - 7mm is a metric size not normally used, but fortunately the local tool dealer had a 7mm tap and die and Hardware Sales had new 7mm nuts.  Chasing threads:

1984 Toyota Tercel exhaust gasket is a little thick but otherwise a perfect fit.

The exhaust should exit the head, run strait along the lower frame rail and end in front of the rear fender like so:

For whatever reason this one has a bunch of extra bends, runs too high, burns the footrest rubber and ends behind the rear fender.  Easy part was that the muffler had not been slid over the pipe far enough (green arrow) so the hanger (yellow arrow) was at a crazy angle.  Being too high, the pipe touched the footrest burning the rubber (black arrow).  To get the pipe to hang lower the bend (red arrow) had to be relaxed or the pipe won't seal to the head.

Separated the muffler from the pipe then anchored the head end of the pipe over a socket held in a vice and heated the pipe with MAPP gas until red, then forced it into shape.  You'll have to imagine it.  The pipe now runs several centimeters below the foot peg.

More polishing...

A small dent prevented the muffler from sliding all the way over the pipe.  Dent was massaged out with another suitibly sized socket.  Offending rust and crud was removed with a wire wheel and the muffler slid over the pipe so that it would hang from its stay in the right location.  It now hangs pretty well, should seal and doesn't burn rubber.

1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #63 on: August 15, 2017, 12:13:46 AM »

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #64 on: August 15, 2017, 07:16:33 AM »
Attaboy.  :thumb:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #65 on: August 15, 2017, 11:08:25 PM »
The fuel taps should probably have some strainers given all the junk that was in the tank.  Fortunately I have some fine brass screen "gauze filter" in the old Brit bike manuals.

Form it over a pencil, stick the end in the tap to get the size and glue with super glue (much faster and cleaner that soldering).  Wrap the rest of the "gauze" around and stick with a nice fillet of glue.  Fold over the end, crimp with pliers and glue.

Make sure it fits in the tank first! 

Ready to install:

1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline azguzzirep

• Gaggle Hero
  • Gratzi Carlo!
« Reply #66 on: August 16, 2017, 02:08:37 PM »
Great write up!

You said it followed you home.  From Mandello or someplace in the States?
Murphy's  Law sucks!

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #67 on: August 16, 2017, 02:12:54 PM »
Never tried Super Glue in any area where it would be around or submerged in gasoline. Does it hold up to modern fuels?
Charlie

Offline Guzzi Gal

• MOTO GUZZI~Because your heart is in the bike, and the bike is in your heart. ~Huzo~
  • Gaggle Hero
    • Sonoran Sunriders, YouTube
« Reply #68 on: August 16, 2017, 02:30:18 PM »
Simply GORGEOUS!  :drool:
:bow: Thanks for enabling my MG obsession! :bow:
"Anni" '17 Moto Guzzi V7 III Anniversario #220/1000,
"Velvet" '16 Honda CTX 700,
"Brigitte", AKA "Gigi" '13 Vespa GTS 300ie,
"Grey Wind" '12 Vespa GTS 300 Super,  
The twin '16 Honda Metropolitans
"Miri" and Mori"

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #69 on: August 16, 2017, 06:46:42 PM »
Never tried Super Glue in any area where it would be around or submerged in gasoline. Does it hold up to modern fuels?

Me either..  :popcorn:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #70 on: August 16, 2017, 11:05:59 PM »
Great write up!

You said it followed you home.  From Mandello or someplace in the States?

It was for sale on the local Craigslist (Stanwood, WA) before we left for Europe and still there when I got back.  Seeing Bacon Slicers running around in Italy made me want it.    :smiley:
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #71 on: August 16, 2017, 11:13:20 PM »

I took a chance based on my experience with POR15 which I used to seal the '47 Ariel tank about 15 years ago.  POR15 cures with moisture like cyanoacrylate super glue so assume it is the same.  The Ariel has had gas of all types in it ever since and no problems so went with super glue instead of solder.  Will let you know if it comes apart.
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #72 on: August 17, 2017, 01:46:53 AM »
Despite all the work on this bike, it's still a mystery.  I'd love some leads or comparisons from a knowledgeable source.

It was sold as a 1933 model 157, but it appears to be a GTV which were built from 1934 to 1948 (none built 1940-45).  It has the correct GTV gas tank, oil tank and engine.  Early GTVs had a saddle gas tank with chrome gas cap, chrome oil cap, girder fork, knee action rear shocks and most (all?) had twin exhaust pipes. Later GTVs had bakelite caps, tele forks and hydraulic dampers, larger front brake and engine with single exhaust.

They were touring bikes so came with leg shields.

Apparently early Guzzi frame numbers are sequential by by date of completion, not model, so I cannot determine the model from the frame number but it is only 4 digits (< 10,000 total Guzzis since 1921!)

This bike has all early characteristics except the twin pipe engine. The only engine number visible without pulling the engine from the frame is on a timing cover and probably from a post WWII engine. 

This bike has the rear hub and cush drive shown in the 1931 Sport 15 parts book.  The 1937-39 GTV parts book shows a later style rear hub.  The front and rear brake plates also match the 1931 parts book.  (If anyone has a parts book between 1931 and 1939 I'd love to get a copy!)

Given early style hubs and brakes and 4 digit frame number and chrome gas and oil caps I'm thinking the bike is 1937 or earlier, probably with a later engine.  It also has the wrong handle bar, so perhaps it has been built up from parts?  Would love to know more.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 01:53:07 AM by SED »
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline azguzzirep

• Gaggle Hero
  • Gratzi Carlo!
« Reply #73 on: August 17, 2017, 03:36:19 AM »
Sounds like a typical Guzzi to me!😉😂😂
Murphy's  Law sucks!

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #74 on: August 17, 2017, 11:25:17 PM »
 :smiley:

OK time to put on a seat.  The bike is even smaller than the Ariel and old bikes were smaller and the people smaller too.  My knees sit above the knee pads.  Must've been made for someone about 5'6".

I made extensions for the Ariel saddles that sit them higher and further back.  So I made some brackets to move the GTV seat up and back, but nothing seemed right - mostly because the saddle is so small. 

I then tried the original saddle for the '47 Ariel - it sits up higher and further back and is wider too - all without brackets.  It even looked decent.

Needed to polish the springs with bronze wool.

There was some fancy bolt finding and shimming and now this metric bike has 2 British cycle thread nuts on it... :undecided:

But it looks almost ready to ride...

Just needs a valve adjustment and some gasoline!   :bike-037:
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Online Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #75 on: August 18, 2017, 12:43:44 AM »
 :thumb: :thumb:

:popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline Chesterfield

• Hatchling
« Reply #76 on: August 18, 2017, 03:36:36 AM »
Before I noticed the oil leak I did some work on the controls.

The bars are not original. GTVs originally had bars with clamp on levers and a spiral throttle. These have lever perches welded to the bars.  Probably off an Alce or something. And a twist grip throttle - Super Practic.

The throttle on a BMW 75/5 I owned had a bevel gear setup with a little chain to pull the cables straight instead of around a throttle tube. It was quite ingenious and takes away the place cables break ( going around the throttle tube ).

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #77 on: August 19, 2017, 06:53:37 PM »
Cool! There's a lot of things on this bike that seem (at least compared to British bikes) modern for 1934 - unit engine & transmission, swingarm rear suspension with springs below (didn't Buell or Britton do something similar), rotary oil pump, foot shift transmission, cush drive rear hub, rubber mounted handlebars...

Update:
Adjust valves and notice the large amount of slop in the rocker gear (1/16"!)

Put some gas in the tank, let choke lever almost full on, advance the mag lever just a little, turn up the idle speed screw, tickle the float 1.5 seconds and kick...

once

and she ran!     :shocked: :smiley: 

I was so startled I turned it off almost immediately - though not before confirming that oil was circulating.

Checked everything over and it seemed ok so kicked it again and it started first kick again.    :smiley:

This time I let it run and warm up so it would run without choke. Lowered the idle stop screw, messed with the idle mixture screw and got worse then better.  Then I rode it out the driveway and onto the street and back into the driveway.  Eventually I got it running pretty well but it had an occasional bad misfire that would cause a clunk.

Eventually it would start and run easily - even coaxed it around the block - but it would still misfire and clunk.  And weirdly the valve lifter seemed to engage less and less. Something needed investigating with the valve lifter....

Picture after running around the block:

1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline Adk.IBO

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #78 on: August 19, 2017, 07:10:50 PM »
Very nice display of mechanical skill! Enjoying the commentary, thank you! Cool bike.
'09 Norge new in '11, sold in '17, 37000 very good miles, thanks to this forum. '17 Roadster new in '17
Luke 23:34

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #79 on: August 19, 2017, 07:58:43 PM »
So pulled the timing cover where the valve lifter lives to investigate - a black gooey mess:

Did some cleanup, but really couldn't find anything wrong except excessive wear in the roller cam followers (roller cam in 1934!) and general wear and grunge.

Put it back together and ran it around the block again. It was better, but not right.
You can see the intake valve and flywheel "moving" in this still:

So pulled the rocker box and all was revealed:

Warning! The following describes a bodge of EPIC proportions.  Please avert your eyes if you are of a tender constitution.  :evil:

So cleaned everything up.  To solve the wear in the rocker cover the loose bushes had caused I roughed up the surface and laid some JBWeld into the low spots and let it sit a couple hours until it was stiff like modeling clay. 

The bushings were almost as badly worn as the rocker cover but only on the side receiving the load.  Because the top and bottom of each bushing is almost identical they can be swapped around to regain their alignment.  With the bushings swapped around and the lower 1/2 bolted into the lower half of the rockerbox I then coated the stiff JBWeld and the upper bush with grease and bolted up the rocker box clamshell to squeeze the excess JBWeld into shape.

Let it dry overnight. Fit some new felt washers cut from something bigger and an o-ring from the hydraulic shop.  (Cool tip: assemble and bolt the halves of the rocker clam on the bench, then bolt to bike.)

In keeping with the epic bodge I found some tubing with which to make a new "pushrod"  :tongue:  (No source of metric steel tubing locally...) 

Reassemble, turn on fuel, set idle, choke, advance, tickle and kick...

See it here:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x3GO6axC1Gs&feature=youtu.be

« Last Edit: August 20, 2017, 07:50:26 PM by SED »
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #80 on: August 19, 2017, 08:14:06 PM »
Thanks Adk!

I was so pleased I rode it around several blocks and let it run a while and it seemed fine. 

And the vintage club was doing a tiddler ride today...  (500cc is not really a tiddler but apparently 18hp is :cool:)

So decided to go for a little test ride this morning...  about 60 miles!   :afro:

« Last Edit: August 19, 2017, 08:14:47 PM by SED »
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #81 on: August 19, 2017, 08:28:40 PM »
Too cool.  :thumb:
Charlie

Offline jas67

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #82 on: August 19, 2017, 11:31:03 PM »
Congrats on getting the Bacon Slicer road worthy!    VERY cool bike!

As for the tidler ride, that little red Honda in your last row of pics is a rare little bike, the CB92R.

2017 V7III Special
1977 Le Mans
1974 Eldorado
2017 Triumph Thruxton R
2013 Ducati Monster 796, 2013 848 Evo Corse SE, 1974 750GT, 1970 Mk3d 450 Desmo, 1966 Monza 250
1975 Moto Morini 3 1/2
2007 Vespa GTS250
2016 BMW R1200RS, 80 R100S, 76 R90S ,73 R75/5
76 Honda CB400F, 67 305 Super Hawk, 68 CL175

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #83 on: August 20, 2017, 12:33:03 AM »
Congrats on getting the Bacon Slicer road worthy!    VERY cool bike!

As for the tidler ride, that little red Honda in your last row of pics is a rare little bike, the CB92R.

Good eye!  That 125 sounds like a 650 with its open megaphones.  There were a few Hondas there.  Only 1 Brit (James), One Italian (Guzzi), 2 Americans (Cushman and Indian) and ZERO Kawasakis. 
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #84 on: August 20, 2017, 01:53:04 AM »
Well done!

Have you considered finding a pushrod of the correct length from something else, like a VW or newer guzzi?

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #85 on: August 20, 2017, 07:57:54 AM »
Epic bodge, indeed.. :grin:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline RinkRat II

• Gaggle Hero
  • Lake Powell AZ
« Reply #86 on: August 20, 2017, 09:52:01 AM »
 Great job SED, I'm thinking fame and fortune in your future with a JB Weld commercial and testamonial  :evil:
     What's the stealth device on your front fender?

Paul B :boozing:
A Miller in the hand is worth two in the fridge.

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #87 on: August 20, 2017, 10:30:14 AM »
Well done!

Have you considered finding a pushrod of the correct length from something else, like a VW or newer guzzi?

I may have to, the valve gap was opening up by the end of the ride.    :sad:   

I would love to find something that would work locally, but I can probably get it from Italy.  I'd have to use the ends from these pushrods because they are quite small.  The tubing is steel 8mm ID, 10mm OD and a little less than 11" long.  Any tubing I use must be 11mm or smaller because of the tight clearances.
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline SED

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #88 on: August 20, 2017, 10:32:35 AM »

What's the stealth device on your front fender?

Paul B :boozing:

Caught me!  :embarrassed:  It's my bicycle HID headlight.  I had to use it and a bicycle tailight because the electrical is not hooked up yet... 
1983 LeMans III
1981 Monza
1947 Ariel Red Hunter
1939 Ariel Red Hunter
1937 Guzzi GTV

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #89 on: August 20, 2017, 12:17:30 PM »
Well, that's a pasta machine you got right there, so we need to use pasta rules for the pushrod problem.  Boil the pushrod for 6 minutes in salted water.  Add a bit of oil to keep it from sticking.  It should go limp, and then you can hang it or pull it straight.  When it cools and hardens, it's ready.   :food:

If that doesn't work, try this:

https://www.pushrods.net/one-piece-pushrods?gclid=CJv-w9-n5tUCFUWXfgodo9UDxg

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here