Author Topic: Built-in engine options for the Loops  (Read 5677 times)

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
Built-in engine options for the Loops
« on: November 03, 2017, 06:49:20 PM »
Been thinking about what to do with the ratty Ambo I just picked up, and it occurred to me that if my goal is to just make a cool non-restored rider to wow the guys at work, maybe instead of dropping big $$ for the Gilardoni cyls and maybe tranny rebuild, why not buy a decent used later Nigusil-cyl Tonti engine and drop it in with the 5-sp,To boot? What are the pitfalls besides the charging system? Fit issues?
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: Built-in engine options for the Loops
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2017, 08:23:18 PM »
Been thinking about what to do with the ratty Ambo I just picked up, and it occurred to me that if my goal is to just make a cool non-restored rider to wow the guys at work, maybe instead of dropping big $$ for the Gilardoni cyls and maybe tranny rebuild, why not buy a decent used later Nigusil-cyl Tonti engine and drop it in with the 5-sp,To boot? What are the pitfalls besides the charging system? Fit issues?

You can use any number of engines, one of my favorites for a Loop is the Convert/G5/SP/CX100 unit. Round fins, iron liners, oil filter - just needs a better timing chain tensioner to be "bulletproof". The Convert is the easiest - swap on a late Eldo timing cover, drill and tap some holes on top for the generator (or alternator kit) mounting, use a crankshaft adapter (available from Teo Lamers).

Charlie

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2017, 09:15:25 PM »
Would it be any easier to utilize the alternator of the later engine, rather than trying to retain the generator system?
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

Offline JayDee24ca

• Gosling
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 09:48:08 PM »
You might find you get more responses to your query if you move it from this list (Bike Builds and Rebuilds) into General Discussion.
John D.
'74 Nuovo Falcone
'79 Convert
79 G5
the rest are all gone.....

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 09:48:08 PM »

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 09:58:42 PM »
Would it be any easier to utilize the alternator of the later engine, rather than trying to retain the generator system?

IMO, it's not easier.

You can do that by using adapters like Mike Tiberio:
http://thisoldtractor.com/moto_guzzi_loopframe_brackets_to_mount_a_tonti_timing_cover_in_a_loop_frame.html
Note the fender clearance issues at the bottom of the page.

Until the engines with Ducati Energia PM alternators, the charging system was actually less powerful than the old generator and are still not as powerful as the Scrambler Cycle alternator kit. That's why I like to use the Loop timing cover and top mounted generator or alternator.

Charlie

Offline brider

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2017, 09:41:45 AM »
You might find you get more responses to your query if you move it from this list (Bike Builds and Rebuilds) into General Discussion.
John D.

I figured this was a build question, since if I did such a swap, the process would be documented here.
'85 Cal II Auto
'71 Ambo project
'02 GasGas EC300
'07 Norge
Wish'd I'd never sold:
'72 Red Eldo
'74 White Eldo LAPD
'77 Convert with DB bags
'06 Gas Gas EC300
'86 LM IV

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2017, 10:01:52 AM »
I figured this was a build question, since if I did such a swap, the process would be documented here.

Build questions really should be in General Discussion. Until the actual swap/build/rebuild is started, it shouldn't be in this section in my opinion. Of course, final say is up to the moderators.
Charlie

Offline JoeW

• Gaggle Hero
    • The Guzzi Doctor
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 05:46:31 PM »
Last year I put an SP motor (cast iron cylinders) in a V700. i put an alternator on it where the generator used to be...

upload pic

Right side shift 5 speed loop...

Joe Walano

Offline Lee Davis

• Gosling
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2018, 08:18:39 PM »
Why not go back to original? I have a 1970 Ambassador that has wonderful patina from the Houston weather. It was mothballed back in 1985, and would probably start up if the right things were done. But, I think I shall put on a new set of Gilardonis (already have them), a rebuild on the carbs, change the fluids and try to start it up. The tank has a modest amount of rust on the chrome panels, but I like that... especially if I take it to Mexico, as I am planning.  I love original.
Loopframe rebuilder and Erotic Farmer

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here