Author Topic: anyone use armour exhaust?  (Read 1028 times)

Offline NoSprk

• New Egg
anyone use armour exhaust?
« on: August 17, 2022, 07:50:28 PM »
found a company in the UK that makes stainless exhaust for loop frame bikes. wondered if anyone has used them. they only come in the small hole variety right now. they can make the big hole but it would be about a 1.5month wait. although their small hole version is 28mm vs 25mm outlet.

its listed on thisoldtractor but i thought id ask for someone's personal experience

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: anyone use armour exhaust?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2022, 08:02:26 PM »
The Eldorado I'm currently working on has their mufflers and crossover. Very nice quality, clamps are built into the mufflers. Sounds great too - probably as close to the original "big hole" mufflers as I've heard, even though they have smaller outlets.

I tried several times to get in contact with them via their website form - no response. I didn't try calling them as I found what I needed (38 mm stainless headpipes with the Loop curve but Tonti flanges) elsewhere.

Charlie

Offline NoSprk

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2022, 09:29:31 PM »
oh wow thanks! you saved me a headache of buying clamps. i didnt look close enough at the pictures. ive been in contact with them and have been waiting to pull the trigger on a set. my poor bike has a set of old crappy dunstall mufflers. really load and worn out.

The Eldorado I'm currently working on has their mufflers and crossover. Very nice quality, clamps are built into the mufflers. Sounds great too - probably as close to the original "big hole" mufflers as I've heard, even though they have smaller outlets.

I tried several times to get in contact with them via their website form - no response. I didn't try calling them as I found what I needed (38 mm stainless headpipes with the Loop curve but Tonti flanges) elsewhere.

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 09:59:55 PM »
oh wow thanks! you saved me a headache of buying clamps. i didnt look close enough at the pictures. ive been in contact with them and have been waiting to pull the trigger on a set. my poor bike has a set of old crappy dunstall mufflers. really load and worn out.

Best to buy their headpipes too - the owner of this Eldo had a fit issue using other brand headpipes.
Charlie

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2022, 09:59:55 PM »

Offline NoSprk

• New Egg
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2022, 08:24:13 AM »
well that's too bad. now that defeats the purpose of buying the Pipes. I'd rather not spend another $230 plus extra shipping.

I don't understand why they wouldn't fit on stock headpipes. mine are old and painted black. I don't care if theyre not chrome or stainless I just want some stock style mufflers.

Best to buy their headpipes too - the owner of this Eldo had a fit issue using other brand headpipes.

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2022, 08:38:59 AM »
well that's too bad. now that defeats the purpose of buying the Pipes. I'd rather not spend another $230 plus extra shipping.

I don't understand why they wouldn't fit on stock headpipes. mine are old and painted black. I don't care if theyre not chrome or stainless I just want some stock style mufflers.

The headpipes need to be 38 mm o.d. or you'd need to use shims for the mufflers to fit tightly.
Charlie

Offline Luke

• New Egg
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2022, 09:32:03 AM »
I installed the mufflers and had a bunch of figment issues that they had no interest in helping with. Overall I was pleased with the final result but it took some work. I had to cut the clamps off of the crossover because they interfered with the centerstand . I’m not sure if I got the head pipes from them, but they had to be expanded to fit into the mufflers. Once it was made to fit the system looked and sounded great.

Online moto

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Potrebbe andare peggio, potrebbe piovere!
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2022, 03:12:51 PM »
If you'd consider a different English maker that was extremely helpful with my questions, I recommend Feked, based on my purchase of their T3 pipes. They gave me excellent, efficient service, and the T3 silencers fit very well onto stock pipes. They measured the depth of the inlet for the pipes at my request, very quickly.

Here is their V7 offering. You could type any questions into their provided "Ask a question" box.

https://www.feked.com/moto-guzzi-v7-silencers-w-o-bal.html

Moto
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350
Italjet Buccaneer 250 (ex-SSR) -- now sold
credit for 2500+ postings lost in the database meltdown of Feb 9, 2020

Offline NoSprk

• New Egg
« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2022, 09:45:40 AM »
wow thanks. i thought i surfed the whole internet. i would like a balance pipe but seems like it may be more trouble than its worth.

If you'd consider a different English maker that was extremely helpful with my questions, I recommend Feked, based on my purchase of their T3 pipes. They gave me excellent, efficient service, and the T3 silencers fit very well onto stock pipes. They measured the depth of the inlet for the pipes at my request, very quickly.

Here is their V7 offering. You could type any questions into their provided "Ask a question" box.

https://www.feked.com/moto-guzzi-v7-silencers-w-o-bal.html

Moto

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2022, 01:53:05 PM »
After spending the day riding John's Eldo with big hole Armours mufflers (with crossover) on  it, they are in my opinion, the best sounding Loop mufflers. Not loud(ish) and bit harsh like the chrome repros that are being sold by various retailers, better than any MAC muffler ever was. Nice deep sound down low and wonderful growl at higher rpms.
Charlie

Online moto

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Potrebbe andare peggio, potrebbe piovere!
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2022, 03:20:24 PM »
After spending the day riding John's Eldo with big hole Armours mufflers (with crossover) on  it, they are in my opinion, the best sounding Loop mufflers. Not loud(ish) and bit harsh like the chrome repros that are being sold by various retailers, better than any MAC muffler ever was. Nice deep sound down low and wonderful growl at higher rpms.

Just to clarify, the Feked mufflers are stainless, with stainless mesh packing, and are made in England by Feked itself. My T3 version sounds very good to me but we'd have to do a actual back-to-back comparison between Armours and Feked to know the difference.
850 T-3
Griso 1100 corretto
2023 Royal Enfield Classic 350
Italjet Buccaneer 250 (ex-SSR) -- now sold
credit for 2500+ postings lost in the database meltdown of Feb 9, 2020

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2022, 04:23:27 PM »

Wow!  I apparently finally got something right in my never-ending quest to fix or get fixed all the niggling little issues I've faced on this bike in the almost 4 years I've owned it, especially since this is one of the few things I've done without driving Charlie crazy with questions before taking the leap to try to do something on my own.

FYI, I didn't think to try my stock headpipes with the Armour mufflers when I realized the fit with the stainless headpipes I had already bought were not a perfect fit.  That means that your stock headpipes MIGHT fit fine, but I'd do some measuring, as Charlie indicates, before assuming anything.  Another thing, I didn't personally have any problems communicating w/Armour, and the mfg. and shipping didn't take a huge amount of time (a few weeks, not a few months).
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2022, 04:52:07 PM »
Just to clarify, the Feked mufflers are stainless, with stainless mesh packing, and are made in England by Feked itself. My T3 version sounds very good to me but we'd have to do a actual back-to-back comparison between Armours and Feked to know the difference.

I'm sure the Feked mufflers are nice, but don't look quite original unless one squints.  :wink: I prefer to have a crossover as well.

Wow!  I apparently finally got something right in my never-ending quest to fix or get fixed all the niggling little issues I've faced on this bike in the almost 4 years I've owned it, especially since this is one of the few things I've done without driving Charlie crazy with questions before taking the leap to try to do something on my own.

FYI, I didn't think to try my stock headpipes with the Armour mufflers when I realized the fit with the stainless headpipes I had already bought were not a perfect fit.  That means that your stock headpipes MIGHT fit fine, but I'd do some measuring, as Charlie indicates, before assuming anything.  Another thing, I didn't personally have any problems communicating w/Armour, and the mfg. and shipping didn't take a huge amount of time (a few weeks, not a few months).

:grin: :grin:
Charlie

Offline NoSprk

• New Egg
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2022, 04:58:06 PM »
damn I may wait for the armour big hole versions to come out. they're sold out right now and only have the 1-1/8" version which is 28mm vs 25mm like OEM small hole versions. I want a set before I go to the west coast Nevada meet up but I don't want a $400 mistake.

would it be too much to ask for you to check the outlet size on the mufflers

I have these old dunstall British mufflers that are way too loud for me.

« Last Edit: August 20, 2022, 05:03:30 PM by NoSprk »

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2022, 05:13:30 PM »
damn I may wait for the armour big hole versions to come out. they're sold out right now and only have the 1-1/8" version which is 28mm vs 25mm like OEM small hole versions. I want a set before I go to the west coast Nevada meet up but I don't want a $400 mistake.

Three years ago, when I was dealing with Armour, they were always "sold out" of the big hole mufflers.  In actuality, my discussion with them revealed that they never kept the big hole mufflers in stock, just made them when ordered.  Apparently, not that much demand for them in Britain or Europe (?).  Don't know if that is still their policy.
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

• Gaggle Hero
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2022, 05:22:44 PM »

John's have a 1.5" outlet.
Charlie

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #16 on: August 20, 2022, 09:58:14 PM »
John's have a 1.5" outlet.

Another thing on ordering from Armour - at the time I ordered, they offered either 2 or 3 (I forget which) different length baffle choices.  I picked the longest (quietest) choice.  I have no idea how much louder the shorter baffles would be, but as Charlie mentions above, I like the volume level that the ones I bought have.  They're a little louder and mellower than the small-hole mufflers I replaced, but not loud enough to be tiring on day-long rides.
JC

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here