Author Topic: different header pipes on loopframe  (Read 320 times)

Offline ray bear

• Gosling
different header pipes on loopframe
« on: April 17, 2024, 10:37:23 PM »
have acquired another Eldorado that requires major work so will be rebuilding with a big bore 950 kit and have a spare pair of cylinder heads from a Convert that would seem appropriate  to fit the big bore kit  with the larger pipes however my question  will convert / G5 header pipes fit the loop frame , I have an Eldorado and a convert but dont have a spare set of convert header pipes I can try and line up to see if they will come somewhere close and my Eldo has floor boards and the new project bike has pegs so its a big guess and hope someone here has been down this path before me . Thanks Ray
« Last Edit: April 17, 2024, 10:38:39 PM by ray bear »
73 V7 sport
73 Eldo police special
68 BSA rocket 3
74 Norton Commando
78 Honda CBX 1000
47 HRD vincent Rapide
XT 500 Yamaha
76 Convert
84 FLHX limited edition electra glide

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
Re: different header pipes on loopframe
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2024, 08:56:25 AM »
Valve sizes are the same on the Convert heads vs. Eldo, so no gain in using them other than not having to deal with the threaded header nuts. Tonti pipes may work, but will be too short in length since they were meant to be used with a crossover. You could put an extension pipe on them to make them the same length as the Eldo pipes. 
Charlie

Offline ray bear

• Gosling
« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2024, 05:28:18 PM »
Thank you again Charlie , and yes losing the threaded connection was the main issue but it seems like there may be a fair chance  they can be made to fit with out too many tears or otherwise I would  have had to  adapt the bolt on flanges to the loop pipes .
« Last Edit: April 18, 2024, 05:32:36 PM by ray bear »
73 V7 sport
73 Eldo police special
68 BSA rocket 3
74 Norton Commando
78 Honda CBX 1000
47 HRD vincent Rapide
XT 500 Yamaha
76 Convert

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2024, 07:07:28 PM »
Thank you again Charlie , and yes losing the threaded connection was the main issue but it seems like there may be a fair chance  they can be made to fit with out too many tears or otherwise I would  have had to  adapt the bolt on flanges to the loop pipes .

That's actually easier than you might think. Cut the piece off that extends past the flange, the Eldo header nut can be machined down and used as a spacer to hold the pipe centered. I can post photos if necessary.
Charlie

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2024, 07:07:28 PM »

Offline ray bear

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2024, 10:55:24 PM »
Thanks Charlie I think I know what your saying I will study a bit  and get back to you if I run into trouble , I just dont have any uninstalled exhaust pipes available at the moment to play with thanks Ray
73 V7 sport
73 Eldo police special
68 BSA rocket 3
74 Norton Commando
78 Honda CBX 1000
47 HRD vincent Rapide
XT 500 Yamaha
76 Convert

Harper's Moto Guzzi : Go Ride, Break Parts, Call me!
Harper's Moto Guzzi. Where we still answer the phone, use the highest quality parts, and also do Transmission, rear drive, and carb rebuilds fast. Call us at 816.697.3411 and get your problems resolved.
http://www.harpermoto.com
Advertise Here