Author Topic: Footwear you shouldn't ride with  (Read 7978 times)

Offline not-fishing

• Gaggle Hero
Footwear you shouldn't ride with
« on: January 05, 2015, 11:15:22 AM »
This fall my Daughter had purchased a Father's Nightmare of an old farmhouse that had Hillbilly Renovations and Expansions.  Over the weekend I had to help my Daughter refinish her hardwood floor which meant working on my hands and knees along with switching vehicles.  Rather than using my lace-up field boots I switched to pull-on Wellington boots that I've had for about 3+ decades. I wear my motorcycle boots to work so I wanted to keep them relatively clean.

Now we all know about riding with flip-flops, zories and tennis shoes --- but boots should be OK.

It was a painful mistake, the toe of the boot was so soft that the up-shifting really put pressure on my oft-damaged big toe.

The heel was also such that it would hook the peg and not let my foot slide forward more for the shifter-peg.

I've always only ridden before with motorcycle boots, now I am reminded as to why that's a Good Idea.

Griso 1100
Rosso Corsa Lemans
1/2 a V50 III (with my son)
V65 SP - Finished but the Dyna died so it's non-op'd
'75 850T with sidecar - a new project and adventure

Offline Tobit

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Footwear you shouldn't ride with
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2015, 04:22:12 PM »
I wore cheapo Frankenstein looking FOX street boots for a few years, then Bates Fast Lane boots for ten years after that.  Lately it's a pair of waterproof Joe Rocket street boots, but they're so stiff I gravitate to my hiking boots.

For a couple of years in the '90s I wore cowboy boots and really liked them.  The pointy toes were great for shifting and the heel hooked the footpeg nicely for relaxed cruising when not on the balls of your feet.

The only footwear I've ever crashed in were tennis shoes but only scraped up my forearm and knee (shorts and T shirt in the '70s).

Tobit
Roman, '86 LM IV

I drive way too fast to worry about cholesterol

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Geese Fly in a Proper V
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2015, 04:48:52 PM »
Finding 10 1/2 EEEE motorcycle boots has proven to be....ah problematic to say the least. So I wear my old duty boots to ride in.  They are 10 inch high and lace up but are without amour.  At least they give more protection than bare foot, flip flops or nikes.  ::)
If you wish to know what a man is, place in him authority.
False accusations reflect more on the accuser than the accused.
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
Do or don't do. There is no try.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline cwiseman

• Gaggle Mentor
    • C&D Motorsports
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 09:23:42 PM »
11 1/2 EEEE so I feel your pain Stormtruck!
Moto Guzzi Robinson/C & D Motorsports
618-544-RIDE
Moto Guzzi dealer in South Eastern Illinois
Personal rides 2007 Calvin, 72 Eldo, V7 Classic, 75 RD350, GasGas Pampera 250 + a few others
2-stroke street bike enthusiast

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2015, 09:23:42 PM »

Penderic

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2015, 09:46:40 PM »
Why not try a custom Police Patrol big boot set? Some of those LEO guys ride a lot.

This site has lots of info on ordering custom and extra big sizes ..  P:)

http://www.publicsafetyspecialties.com/motorcycle_officer_uniform.htm

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 09:53:23 PM by Penderic »

Offline Nic in Western NYS

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2015, 09:58:14 PM »
Have these fantastic 'made for BMW' in Italy Gore Tex boots for 15 years.  Cost a pretty penny at the time but the best footwear I ever had.
'04 Ducati ST4sABS
Fondly remembered Geese: LeMans V, Sport 1100, Centauro, Breva 1100

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2015, 10:09:28 PM »
Why not try a custom Police Patrol big boot set? Some of those LEO guys ride a lot.

This site has lots of info on ordering custom and extra big sizes ..  P:)

http://www.publicsafetyspecialties.com/motorcycle_officer_uniform.htm

COOL!!  I'll have to check them out!! Thanks Penderic. ;-T :bow :bike
They can take everything from you, including your life, except your honor and integrity.  That you must give away.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline sliphorn

• Hatchling
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2015, 10:13:04 PM »
Finding 10 1/2 EEEE motorcycle boots has proven to be....ah problematic to say the least. So I wear my old duty boots to ride in.  They are 10 inch high and lace up but are without amour.  At least they give more protection than bare foot, flip flops or nikes.  ::)

Wolverine and Dingo make 4E boots in your size.

Offline Stormtruck2

• AKA Scotch and Cigars
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2015, 10:44:22 PM »
Wolverine and Dingo make 4E boots in your size.

I can find boots in that size, but not armored riding boots.  I have to settle for regular work boots.
μολὼν λαβέ-molṑn labé

Offline lc4dakar

• Hatchling
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2015, 08:56:24 AM »
I used to ride around in canvas deck shoes and shorts.  Never had any problems, even when I flipped the bike. 
Did wish I had been wearing a shirt, though  :(
1983 V50 III (being cafe'd)
1983 Lemans 3
2007 KTM 525 EXC
1953 Matchless G80C
1960 Lotus 7 (hey, it's a 4 wheel motorcycle!)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2015, 01:50:02 PM »
This fall my Daughter had purchased a Father's Nightmare of an old farmhouse that had Hillbilly Renovations and Expansions.  Over the weekend I had to help my Daughter refinish her hardwood floor which meant working on my hands and knees along with switching vehicles.  Rather than using my lace-up field boots I switched to pull-on Wellington boots that I've had for about 3+ decades. I wear my motorcycle boots to work so I wanted to keep them relatively clean.

Now we all know about riding with flip-flops, zories and tennis shoes --- but boots should be OK.

It was a painful mistake, the toe of the boot was so soft that the up-shifting really put pressure on my oft-damaged big toe.

The heel was also such that it would hook the peg and not let my foot slide forward more for the shifter-peg.

I've always only ridden before with motorcycle boots, now I am reminded as to why that's a Good Idea.

Those rubber wellies are a good example of what not to wear.

The ULTIMATE in motorcycle-riding horror-footwear are some things that are actually DESIGNED to be used on a bike.

Those are the slip-over plastic rain boots with an OPEN SOLE, designed to keep your boot uppers dry, that have elastic straps criss-crossing over the sole of your boot, so you are walking on your boot sole and the elastic straps.   These straps will always get caught on the footpeg or on the levers, and you'll find out only when you try to put your foot down at a stop and can't because the elastic is hooked on the bike.

The one and only time I wore them, I had ripped half the elastic straps off forcing my foot down (lucky I made it in time), and when I got home, I tore them off and binned them.

Terrible idea!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2015, 08:57:33 AM »
I have had hiking boots come off in a crash due to laces being cut by the lace hooks. I broke my big toe on the second bounce...

I like tanker boots, too. The Coyote Tan rough-out variants are a great summertime riding boot and can be purchased for reasonable prices. I got mine for $70.
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here