Author Topic: Stelvio shakedown.......  (Read 22069 times)

Vasco DG

Re: Stelvio shakedown.......
« Reply #30 on: January 06, 2015, 02:26:24 PM »
Again, as I said I enjoy doing this stuf but it is time consuming. I don't need thanks but I do have a whole load of other stuff I can be getting on with if people aren't interested. It seems that they are which is great, I'll keep going.

As for how many miles on the bike? It's got about 30,000 km but it looks like a 300,000km engine, at least parts of it. The rotten O2 sensor foolers were on it for only about 4,000km I believe.

Tony, your bike doesn't have to surge ,hunt and misbehave. Beetle can offer you a map that will transform it, without risk, without any crappy additions in the form of black boxes or widgets, and all for a modest donation towards development costs. While the symptoms are related to lean fueling this is not actually a function of the map. The map itself is rich as! It's the fact that the un-clever narrow band O2 sensor crudely trims the fuel back almost to the point of incombustability at certain throttle points. You don't have to live with this or spend a fortune to fix it.

Pete

beetle

« Reply #31 on: January 06, 2015, 02:44:00 PM »
The O2 fooler things pumped excess fuel and diluted the oil? Wow. Too many folk think rich is good..

A wee bit rich is OK. The Stupid Rich that these things can cause is A Bad Thing. They don't necessarily cause an over-rich condition across the rev range, but Murphy says it's where you will likely spend the most time - cruising speed etc.  Folks find that an over-rich 8V engine is lovely and smooth, right up until it goes 'bang'. Let me be clear - I'm talking about the 8V, because there's a lot of engines out there where grenading is less likely. It's still bad for them, but it's worse for the 8V because it's more susceptible due to the head design and valve timing.

Sorry for the thread hijack, Pete. Rant over. Carry on! :D

Vasco DG

« Reply #32 on: January 06, 2015, 02:59:24 PM »
A wee bit rich is OK. The Stupid Rich that these things can cause is A Bad Thing. They don't necessarily cause an over-rich condition across the rev range, but Murphy says it's where you will likely spend the most time - cruising speed etc.  Folks find that an over-rich 8V engine is lovely and smooth, right up until it goes 'bang'. Let me be clear - I'm talking about the 8V, because there's a lot of engines out there where grenading is less likely. It's still bad for them, but it's worse for the 8V because it's more susceptible due to the head design and valve timing.

Sorry for the thread hijack, Pete. Rant over. Carry on! :D

Hijack away :D With the O2 sensor foolers I know that they don't seem to have such an adverse effect on bikes that use the M15-RC, I have several customers with V7's of various types that use them. I still advise against them but they don't seem to cause such serious problems and their owners are happy, (Shrug.).

I first tried a 'Fat-Duc' on my own bike, can't remember if it was the 1100 or the 1200 but I think it was the 1200 because it's original fueling with the GRS8V-01 map was so woefully abysmal. It was obvious to me that it was doing something wrong just by the feel of the bike. It was also obvious to the bike as it kept causing it to throw up a 'Service' error and drop into 'Limp' mode.

I don't fully understand the *Why* of how they can cause such monstrous overfuelling and not make the bike run like a complete Munter and smoke like a 40 year stretch prison inmate but they do. This bike is living proof!

Pete

andrewdonald1

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2015, 03:01:02 PM »
So what exactly happened on the failure?
It wasn't hydraulic lock was it?

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 06, 2015, 03:01:02 PM »

Vasco DG

« Reply #34 on: January 06, 2015, 03:17:23 PM »
No, it caused the massive over-fueling on cruise. This washed the bores and wore the rings out, (Rings now have 100 thou end gap!  :o) Excess fuel poured unburn into the oil past the rings along with a lot of blow-by. This in turn pressurised the case and over taxed the breather/oil condensor system. At the same point the oil was unable to adequately protect the cams and tappets so they began to fail. As wear occurs the duration reduces but the ECU doesn't know that so it continues to pour in fuel as told making the mixture richer still so wear accelerated and the problem increased.

The owner first noticed something when the oil pressure light came on, (Another reason I'm amazed the big ends are so good!) he checked the level and it was, err? empty! So he filled it up again and rode back to Bungendore. More oil in the sump-greater crankcase pressure-more expulsion. He also hadn't drained the airbox which was where the fuelly oil was ending up and eventually the tide came in high enough that it was pouring down thevinlet manifolds and started dripping out of the throttle body spindles!

By the time it got to me it was comprehensively knackered. It's going to be a very large, very expensive job to fix. Luckily for him it's a Guzzi which means it is pretty much bomb proof! The abuse it's taken I was half expecting the whole thing to be basically scrap. As it is I'm cautiously optimistic.

Pete

Offline balvenie

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: January 06, 2015, 04:43:45 PM »
             I don't even own a Stelvio Pete but I love these threads ;D ;-T
Oz
04 Cali
As ye practice, so do ye teach.

Offline DC950

• New Egg
« Reply #36 on: January 06, 2015, 04:55:32 PM »
I don't come here much but when I do, this is what I'm looking for - some peculiar Englishaustralian tearing a bike to bits and putting it back together (with only a few extra parts left over).  I'm thinking of selling a bunch of stuff and getting one of these Stelvios so this is quite timely.
Motorcycles.

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: January 06, 2015, 05:13:14 PM »
Favorite kind of thread Pete, really appreciate you taking the time. Maybe some special attention to reassemble of the heads for all of us looking forward to doing are own roller upgrades? Pretty sure I can tear it apart, but putting it together RIGHT is another story. Got a shitload of winter left to think about it.

Offline Demar

• Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
« Reply #38 on: January 06, 2015, 05:47:26 PM »
I don't come here much but when I do, this is what I'm looking for - some peculiar Englishaustralian tearing a bike to bits and putting it back together (with only a few extra parts left over).

:+1 And, when we can read comments like "knackered" in a Guzzi thread and not a Triumph thread, so much the better.
I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

biking sailor

« Reply #39 on: January 06, 2015, 05:59:58 PM »
This will definitely be a thread I will enjoy following!

Offline Larry

• Gosling
  • Escape Reality At Any Cost I Say
    • Melbourne West Church
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2015, 08:41:20 PM »
Just a question? Is anybody interested in this stuff? Fine if you're not, I don't expect any sort of slavish gratitude or anything but if nobody's interested I won't bother as it does take time. I just thought that it would be interesting. If it's not I won't waste my time.

Pete

This sort of thing is invaluable Pete, so please keep em coming if you don't mind.
Thanks
Larry
2002 Stone 1100 - Gone
2005 Breva 1100 - Gone
2012 Stelvio 1200 8V ABS - Gone
2013 Sport 1200 8V ABS - Current

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2015, 09:26:03 PM »
Late last year a customer bought in his Stelvio. Long story short it was comprehensively 'Donald Ducked' by the addition of a pair of those bloody O2 sensor foolers. Anyway, I got the go ahead to start fixing it so over the Christmas break when most people were on holiday I started reducing it to this.

After he'd scattered it all over the shop by dropping its ancient wooden box, (It's German. Crap. No wonder it broke! ;D) we were amazed to find that although the lip in the top of the bore *Felt* a lot bigger it only measured at 0.01! Bore wasn't ovalised and a quick scrub with some wet'n'dry to remove the carbon showed that they'll be perfectly fine to go round again! Bonus! Pistons, (Pics later.) are also perfect, they've even still got the Teflon coating on the skirts! Same can't be said for the rings unfortunately. 100 thou end gap is, err?? A little bit excessive.

Nastiest thing was the ca chains though. The diluted oil had failed to lubricate the pins adequately and the chains were horribly worn. Even though I tried hand pumping the  tensioners and spinning the motor on the starter after installing the roller top end it was to no avail. As soon as it fired it jumped three teeth and bye-bye valves! Well, can't say I didn't try :D. The difference between the length of the 'Old' chain and a new one is obvious when they are hung side by side!

Mor later.

I'm interested too but think you should clarify for Merkans you're measuring Metric ), 0.01 or hundreth is huge in inches!

I wonder about the hydraulic tensioners too, could that be more the problem than worn chain for slipping teeth ?
Sounds odd that it came in running but slipped immediately after you reassembled.
with MX/Enduro bikes and these chains (my only experience) hydraulic adjuster probs not uncommon with this same result
With ratchet type ones people add shims to get more life out of Donalded chains without jumping a tooth.
Race bikes fit manual tensioner to be certain (and get rid a parasitic load of excessive drag on chain).
Minimal preload on chain much better for everything, chains last longer too.

Not criticising just throwing in my exp, better to check than do it again

Did importer pay for rollers or customer ?

Vasco DG

« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2015, 11:09:55 PM »
The reason it blew after the rebuild was because no matter how hard you try you can't gaurantee the tensioner is pumped up. Agree though that it was weird that it was such a pronounced failure. It was the right side though.

As for the rollers? IllPKyou.

Pete

dddd

« Reply #43 on: January 07, 2015, 12:03:57 AM »
Wow I had no idea these o2 foolers had such a drastic affect on the air fuel ratio, I thought there job was to simply richen it up a bit from the ridiculous 14.7  when in closed loop mode and make it more ride able.

Pete, is there no sort of adjustment on these things or is it one size fits all  
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 12:37:40 AM by dddd »

Vasco DG

« Reply #44 on: January 07, 2015, 12:11:23 AM »
Dean, if you don't understand how it works? Leave it the f*ck alone! OK?

Oh, I've gotta phone you about the pipe, sorry, I'm run ragged at the moment.

Pete

dddd

« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2015, 12:36:36 AM »
Dean, if you don't understand how it works? Leave it the f*ck alone! OK?

Oh, I've gotta phone you about the pipe, sorry, I'm run ragged at the moment.

Pete

You don't have to worry about me screwing with them (besides Mark's map has them turned off anyway) I was just trying to better understand how they worked.

As to the pipe, I have braised the collar back on and all is well.

Once again thanks for your time the other day.

Vasco DG

« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2015, 04:00:01 AM »
No worries. Is it still in warranty?

Vasco DG

« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2015, 03:06:07 PM »
Slowly getting the pics uploaded.

Here's an example of what is considered adequate greasing of the Swingarm bearings.  ::)

There's a heap of shit to take off before you can get at the engine on a Stelvio. Gimme a Griso or Breva/Sport any day!

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2015, 06:31:07 PM »
Just a question? Is anybody interested in this stuff? Fine if you're not, I don't expect any sort of slavish gratitude or anything but if nobody's interested I won't bother as it does take time. I just thought that it would be interesting. If it's not I won't waste my time.

Pete

I read every tear-down thread with pics.. Even if I don't own the bike or fully understand wtf ppl are posting about. Don't always comment but it's certainly appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2015, 07:35:48 PM »
Here's an example of what is considered adequate greasing of the Swingarm bearings.  ::)

I am convinced, that somewhere along the way, some well meaning bearing engineer determined that only a very small amount of grease should be used in a high speed bearing that is well sealed. Any more will just cause heat, drag, and leaking seals. So they publish how important it is not to over do it with grease and everybody treats that as the gospel. I have heard bearing engineers state this very thing, without regard to the actual application. The thing is, that grease film idea which may be perfect for a car wheel bearing, doesn't apply to a low speed, somewhat exposed application like a swingarm bearing, or the needle bearing in the Centauro/V11 Lemans rear gearbox support. So we end up with a rusted out bearing.

BTW, did you ever find a good way to pull the race out of the frame?

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Vasco DG

« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2015, 07:42:59 PM »

BTW, did you ever find a good way to pull the race out of the frame?

Yup, I adopted the Hipster Way. Angle grind the bottom of the frame off so the bearing race falls out them weld it back on wonkily with a cheap arc welder without enough amperage. Glue new race to the outside with blue-tac. Stroke beard. :D

In a word no. Going in from the other side with a marlinspike with a bent tip still essms like the best, if shitty, option. That or  shrink-weld it out.

Pete

dddd

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2015, 08:53:05 PM »
No worries. Is it still in warranty?

No

Vasco DG

« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2015, 09:52:09 PM »
Bugger. When did it run out? I can ask about goodwill if it's only a month or two.

Pete

dddd

« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2015, 05:39:22 PM »
Bugger. When did it run out? I can ask about goodwill if it's only a month or two.

Pete

Four months ago. I wouldn't worry about it as was able to fix it myself at no cost, besides I would much rather save any possible good will request to something more major such as a cam failure (God forbid)

Dean
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 05:40:42 PM by dddd »

Vasco DG

« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2015, 11:44:19 PM »
Four months ago. I wouldn't worry about it as was able to fix it myself at no cost, besides I would much rather save any possible good will request to something more major such as a cam failure (God forbid)

Dean

You'll get that regardless AS LONG as you have a FSH. No history? You can whistle. It's no real effort for me to fling in a warranty request on the pipe, it's one part, not like I have to spend hours listing bits for a job. You might get lucky. It's the factory's call but I can but try.

Flick me yer vin, mileage etc. and a pic of your service book and I'll see what I can do.

Pete

Offline johnr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #55 on: January 09, 2015, 08:02:52 AM »
I too like these threads, I hit 'notify' after looking at the first post.
New Zealand
2002 Ev tourer (Stalled again...)

Vasco DG

« Reply #56 on: January 09, 2015, 10:50:43 AM »
Sorry, I'll try to get a bit more of this done this weekend. I've been busy as all week.

Pete

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here