Author Topic: (NGC) - would this really work to get through a DUI check point?  (Read 15089 times)

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
Re: (NGC) - would this really work to get through a DUI check point?
« Reply #30 on: January 07, 2015, 04:14:02 PM »
    You can tell in the first 30 seconds how things are going to go. I have had some interactions where the officer might as well have just come up and started punching me they were so hostile from word one and other times when I had actually done something wrong the officer was calm talkative and let me go with a smile and a have a nice day. It's just the luck of the draw. I have just been unlucky more often than not and not only with the police.

If that happens to you "More Often Than Not", then it's got to be something you're doing.   You probably don't even know you're doing it, but it's not luck.

With me and MOST people I know, it's seldom or never happened.   ONE time, in 1977, I found a "hostile" policeman, in Clarkston, Georgia, and HE got his arse handed to him an hour later by the magistrate, and I was sent on with an apology.

The other 40 times I've interacted with police in 45 years, it's been polite, non-hostile, and correct.   Same with my sons, who are your age.    Same with my wife.   Same with every friend and relative I've talked to about police on the road.   NONE of them have been threatened or had one act "hostile" toward them by a policeman on the road.

Can you think of ANY reasonable explanation for the difference in those experiences other than what I've suggested?

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline bratman2

• Gosling
« Reply #31 on: January 07, 2015, 04:30:17 PM »
I have been stopped once at a check point in the past decade or two. Just after night fall on my way to work on the bike. As I pulled up I stated to the officer that I had forgot and put my wallet in my cargo pants side pocket. I really needed to park the bike and get off to get it out due to riding over pants. He said go ahead and have a nice night. On another note our county sheriff has been big on random check points. He stated that you would be amazed at the amount of people they arrest with outstanding warrants, drugs or under the influence. My nephew was a Lt. on his department and concurred. To me it is a minor inconvenience if it rids our county of wanted people and gets drunks off the road.
Glenn Taylor
09 Norge with Staintune and Rexxer reflash
87 Subaru Brat (owned since 97)

Offline kckershovel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #32 on: January 07, 2015, 05:22:36 PM »
If that happens to you "More Often Than Not", then it's got to be something you're doing.   You probably don't even know you're doing it, but it's not luck.

With me and MOST people I know, it's seldom or never happened.   ONE time, in 1977, I found a "hostile" policeman, in Clarkston, Georgia, and HE got his arse handed to him an hour later by the magistrate, and I was sent on with an apology.

The other 40 times I've interacted with police in 45 years, it's been polite, non-hostile, and correct.   Same with my sons, who are your age.    Same with my wife.   Same with every friend and relative I've talked to about police on the road.   NONE of them have been threatened or had one act "hostile" toward them by a policeman on the road.

Can you think of ANY reasonable explanation for the difference in those experiences other than what I've suggested?

Lannis

You know I have not had many interactions with the police overall and not in awhile. Most of my bad interactions were as a  teenager riding my BMX bike around town. Twice I was told my licence was a fake or something and that they had no record of me. I had not been to jail at that point. Both times I was detained for hours for no reason and let go with no explanation or apology. One of those times I was handcuffed and made to sit on the curb for hours with no explanation of why repeatedly being told I was lieing about who I really was. Once I was told I was being treated this way because dispatch told him to treat me as armed and dangerous (no explanation of why Me: 17yo no record no weapons charges or gun permit) Finally my not DUI that I still spent the night in jail over and dealt with licence suspension until proven innocent. After moving out of Fort Wayne Indiana I have not had the first problem. I have also gotten older and better at keeping out of there sight.

That is why I am so jaded. I have been harassed when I did not deserve it and let go when I did. It seemed the more respectful ,innocent  and ignorant as to why this was happening I was the worse I was treated and the Grumpier stern and short I was the nicer I was treated. I know this goes against everything that is recommended and common knowledge but as is my life. Now I am a small town man who is rarely out after dark and to poor to travel so I have no problems now.       

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2015, 05:48:10 PM »
    You know I have not had many interactions with the police overall and not in awhile. Most of my bad interactions were as a  teenager riding my BMX bike around town. Twice I was told my licence was a fake or something and that they had no record of me. I had not been to jail at that point. Both times I was detained for hours for no reason and let go with no explanation or apology. One of those times I was handcuffed and made to sit on the curb for hours with no explanation of why repeatedly being told I was lieing about who I really was. Once I was told I was being treated this way because dispatch told him to treat me as armed and dangerous (no explanation of why Me: 17yo no record no weapons charges or gun permit) Finally my not DUI that I still spent the night in jail over and dealt with licence suspension until proven innocent. After moving out of Fort Wayne Indiana I have not had the first problem. I have also gotten older and better at keeping out of there sight.

That is why I am so jaded. I have been harassed when I did not deserve it and let go when I did. It seemed the more respectful ,innocent  and ignorant as to why this was happening I was the worse I was treated and the Grumpier stern and short I was the nicer I was treated. I know this goes against everything that is recommended and common knowledge but as is my life. Now I am a small town man who is rarely out after dark and to poor to travel so I have no problems now.       

I guess I'm always interested in why people who live in the same country under the same government have vastly different experiences.   I never lived in Ft Wayne, though!

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 07, 2015, 05:48:10 PM »

andrewdonald1

« Reply #34 on: January 07, 2015, 06:12:14 PM »
I guess I'm always interested in why people who live in the same country under the same government have vastly different experiences.   I never lived in Ft Wayne, though!

Lannis

Experiences in general are at a individual level...all rules of the game are questionable then.

Offline Gian4

• Hatchling
« Reply #35 on: January 07, 2015, 06:27:12 PM »
Dusty  ;-T
Gian4

Offline kckershovel

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #36 on: January 07, 2015, 06:27:26 PM »
    Like I said I chalk allot of it up to bad luck. I was never seriously beat or killed obviously so it could have been worse. The only time I was arrested was for my not DUI. Mostly it was just aggravating harassment. I am probably better prepared because of it. I self studied the law as to better know what is and is not legal for me and for them. Maybe it will come in handy one day. It only takes a few you tube videos to get me all hot and bothered just because I remember what it felt like to be powerless and harassed. I don't like that feeling and I don't wish it on anyone else. That is all. I still love America and know it is much worse other places.  

Offline mtiberio

• Gaggle Hero
    • TiberioRacing
« Reply #37 on: January 08, 2015, 07:10:19 AM »
Chris Rock on how to not get your ass kicked by the police:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACKmYhlTx5k
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 07:10:46 AM by mtiberio »
Land Speed Records w/Guzzzi:
SCTA M-PG 1000 141.6 MPH
LTA M-PF 1000 137.3 MPH
ECTA M-PG 1000 118.6 MPH
http://gjm.site90.com/mtiberio

Offline oldmxdog61u

• Gaggle Mentor
  • enjoy life...
« Reply #38 on: January 08, 2015, 07:22:59 AM »
Chris rock nails it.
Enjoy life!
1985 lemans 1000 (gone)
1996 Sport 1100 (gone)
2007 norge (ahhhhh)
1984 yz250 (gone to museum)
1977 Cr125m Elsinore (sold)
1973 HD FX (back to my bro)
1974 Eldorado (grace)

andrewdonald1

« Reply #39 on: January 08, 2015, 07:27:26 AM »
Chris Rock on how to not get your ass kicked by the police:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ACKmYhlTx5k

that's funny!

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #40 on: January 08, 2015, 07:46:17 AM »
  I seldom drink so being stopped at a DWI checkpoint is nothing something to worry about. Only once did I get stopped at a checkpoint. I had just bought a Lemans 1 (1992) and was hauling it in my truck. The officer to a long look at me and the bike and then signaled me to move on.
  I used to get into occasional trouble with the police years ago, traffic offenses, and was arrested once but the case was dropped. I have know cops  but to be truthful I don't trust them not to abuse their gun and badge power.

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: January 08, 2015, 07:50:03 AM »
Thinking back I do know one sure way not to get stopped at a checkpoint, it has always worked for me anyway. It was when I was driving truck loads of honey bees. ;D Even the drug dogs stay away!
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here