Author Topic: wind chill in North Caroline/Grandfathers Mountain tops even Minn or Vermont  (Read 11034 times)

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
Lots of folks do not know the North Carolina has one of the coldest spots in the eastern US.
Tonight is a good example. At 10 PM is is -10F @ 55-80 MPH gusts making it -50F wind chill. Just as cold as anywhere in the upper midwest or Maine/Vermont.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
+17 here in balmy GA.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
  You're not even close to Mt. Washington tonight.  Up there ( it's in New Hampshire ) it's -31 degrees and 56 MPH winds.
  That makes for a really nippy wind chill factor.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline krglorioso

• Gaggle Hero
Why is it that when residents of the frozen states complain about their horrible Winter weather there is always some smart ass from the (once) Golden State to tell them "It was 83 in Oceanside yesterday".

Next thing, Brian Reynolds ("bpreynolds") will be bellyaching from Louisville that it's minus something and he can't ride his "new" (lovely") 1998 Triumph triple.  Patience, Brian, patience....Just a few more months...

Well, no exaggeration.  It was 83 here, yesterday.  Rode the 03 Stone Touring over to Oceanside Marina where I sat on a bench and read a chapter of "Pacific Crucible", re the US Navy in the Pacific Theater during the first year of WWII.  I was around back then and remember it somewhat from radio news bulletins and later from a long-standing interest in the history of WW-II.  "Those who do not remember the lessons of history...." as George Santayana said so sagely in the 1880s.

Ralph
Ralph
"You don't stop riding because you got old; you got old because you stopped riding".

2004 Moto Guzzi Breva 750
2017 Honda CB-500F
2021 Royal Enfield Interceptor 650

Wildguzzi.com

Offline Vince in Milwaukee

• Gaggle Hero
This thread is like a game show question I heard once - does it snow in Africa (or was it Hawaii)?  Turns out it does.  Don't recall the name of the mountain or volcano, though.  Stuff like this puts our preconceived notions to the test.  BTW with our wind chill we are at @-20F   ;D
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 03:21:26 AM by Vince in Milwaukee »
1984 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans III, 1986 California II
Gone but not forgotten:
1969 Moto Guzzi Ambo, 1994 BMW K75RTw/ABS, 1996 BMW R1100RT, and 1993 BMW K75

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
  • You can't put a price on Worthlessness.
In Africa, it snows on Mt. Kilimanjaro (Hey! That would make a catchy title for a book!) which isn't very far south of the equator.
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
Lots of folks do not know the North Carolina has one of the coldest spots in the eastern US.
Tonight is a good example. At 10 PM is is -10F @ 55-80 MPH gusts making it -50F wind chill. Just as cold as anywhere in the upper midwest or Maine/Vermont.

I would never have guessed that temps dropped to 10F below 0 at Grandfather Mountain!  I would think that Mt. Mitchell would be colder than Grandfather too since it has a higher elevation than Grandfather.

I just checked weather.com for Linville (close to Grandfather) and it shows 0 degrees F at 7 AM. So, yes, maybe -10 on the mountain.  I bet Mitchell is similar.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 06:01:15 AM by leafman60 »

Offline Unkept

• Gaggle Hero
    • Unkept Uncaged- Youtube Channel
Re:
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 06:09:32 AM »
Took a few cycles of glow plug warming to start my diesel Jetta this morning. -11 with a near -40 wind chill. Brrrr...

I always find myself looking at new bikes and planning trips this time of year! :D

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
Only 56 MPH on Mt Washington? Bah. It's usually 120 on days like this, often with freezing fog.

dilligaf

14 here with a wind chill of 6.  Lot of places are closed and the emergency shelters are open.  Wasn't like this before all them "Yankees" moved down here.  ::(  :BEER:
Matt

Offline oldmxdog61u

• Gaggle Mentor
  • enjoy life...
That sounds frigid. Its going to be a chilly 75 here today, perfect riding weather for another 5 months. Damn.
Enjoy life!
1985 lemans 1000 (gone)
1996 Sport 1100 (gone)
2007 norge (ahhhhh)
1984 yz250 (gone to museum)
1977 Cr125m Elsinore (sold)
1973 HD FX (back to my bro)
1974 Eldorado (grace)

Offline Crusty

• Gaggle Hero
  • You can't put a price on Worthlessness.
Only 56 MPH on Mt Washington? Bah. It's usually 120 on days like this, often with freezing fog.

Mount Washington is the only place I've ever been where the buildings are held down by chains to keep the wind from moving them.
"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms, you know, like NASCAR drivers, so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

'07 Norge

Offline Dean Rose

• Gaggle Hero
    • Twin Valley Riders
I would never have guessed that temps dropped to 10F below 0 at Grandfather Mountain!  I would think that Mt. Mitchell would be colder than Grandfather too since it has a higher elevation than Grandfather.

I just checked weather.com for Linville (close to Grandfather) and it shows 0 degrees F at 7 AM. So, yes, maybe -10 on the mountain.  I bet Mitchell is similar.

https://www.google.com/webhp?hl=en&tab=mw#hl=en&q=mount+mitchell+weather
Magnolia '02 EV
Sophia '06 Breva 1100 
"Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity."

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
It's gorgeous this morning. Squeaky snow and -9 when I went out in my housecoat to get the paper.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

dilligaf

Mount Washington is the only place I've ever been where the buildings are held down by chains to keep the wind from moving them.

Then, why would you want to go up there?  ???  :BEER:
Matt

oldbike54

A balmy 12 F here , which doesn't sound cold to you Northern boys , but is plenty cold for me . Gonna make 35 F according to Weather Underground , only day for a few above freezing , yippee  ::)

Dusty

Offline redrider90

• Gaggle Hero
I sure burned a pile of wood during the night. 80K BTU Jotel and shut off one room and still filled it twice during the night. Kept the gas heater on just in case I slept to long before refilling.
The sun is up now and lots of solar gain to look forward to as long as it remains cloudless.
Red 90 Mille GT

Offline jbntx

• New Egg
In Africa, it snows on Mt. Kilimanjaro (Hey! That would make a catchy title for a book!) which isn't very far south of the equator.
It snow on the Atlas Mountains  in North Africa as well. Skied a handful of times in Algeria when I was a kid.
2000 Moto Guzzi V11 Sport
1994 BMW K75S
1993 BMW K75

Offline bobbyfromnc

• Gosling
    • Bobby Writes

It wasn't exactly balmy here in Rural Hall north of Winston-Salem either  ;D

bpreynolds

Why is it that when residents of the frozen states complain about their horrible Winter weather there is always some smart ass from the (once) Golden State to tell them "It was 83 in Oceanside yesterday".

Next thing, Brian Reynolds ("bpreynolds") will be bellyaching from Louisville that it's minus something and he can't ride his "new" (lovely") 1998 Triumph triple.  Patience, Brian, patience....Just a few more months...

Well, no exaggeration.  It was 83 here, yesterday.  Rode the 03 Stone Touring over to Oceanside Marina where I sat on a bench and read a chapter of "Pacific Crucible", re the US Navy in the Pacific Theater during the first year of WWII.  I was around back then and remember it somewhat from radio news bulletins and later from a long-standing interest in the history of WW-II.  "Those who do not remember the lessons of history...." as George Santayana said so sagely in the 1880s.

Ralph

Whine?  I refuse.  How does that California Dreaming song, go? 
"All the leaves are gone/And the sky is gray
But I'll be safe and warm/With this sitting in my bay"

Online Cage Free

• Gosling
Why is it that when residents of the frozen states complain about their horrible Winter weather there is always some smart ass from the (once) Golden State to tell them "It was 83 in Oceanside yesterday"
Ralph

Well for this Ca smartass it was 82 yesterday when I left Temecula on the Stelvio to have lunch up at the Palomar Observatory and a chilly 59 at the top (5000ft) with slushy and wet roads. Brrr, glad I brought the liner to my ventilated jacket.

Offline Rotten Ralph

• Gaggle Hero

The only other place I have been is the western end of Newfoundland where they tie the trains down with chains because of wind.
Never trust a dog to guard your food

03 HD RK / TLE car
65 BMW R69S
60 BSA Gold Star
13 Moto Guzzi V7 Special

Offline Rotten Ralph

• Gaggle Hero
Never trust a dog to guard your food

03 HD RK / TLE car
65 BMW R69S
60 BSA Gold Star
13 Moto Guzzi V7 Special

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
  When you inhale and the hair in your nose cracks, it's cold, trust me I know.
 I've slept on the ground with no tent in -30 weather, (US Army) and endured colder than -40 ( Two trips to the Antarctic courtesy of the Coast Guard).
  It was nippy some of the time I lived in the Selkirks in Panhandle Idaho with no electric power.
 These are some of the reasons I now live in Hawaii.  Cause it don't do that here!
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Vince in Milwaukee

• Gaggle Hero
  When you inhale and the hair in your nose cracks, it's cold, trust me I know.
 I've slept on the ground with no tent in -30 weather, (US Army) and endured colder than -40 ( Two trips to the Antarctic courtesy of the Coast Guard).
  It was nippy some of the time I lived in the Selkirks in Panhandle Idaho with no electric power.
 These are some of the reasons I now live in Hawaii.  Cause it don't do that here!

Isn't that Antartic duty for a year with a good portion of that in total darkness?  Now that would be something to brag about.  Me, I spent 2 years in mainland Japan - cushy duty by comparasion. 
1984 Moto Guzzi 850 LeMans III, 1986 California II
Gone but not forgotten:
1969 Moto Guzzi Ambo, 1994 BMW K75RTw/ABS, 1996 BMW R1100RT, and 1993 BMW K75

Offline jabberwocky

• Gosling
Re:
« Reply #25 on: January 09, 2015, 05:30:11 AM »
Took a few cycles of glow plug warming to start my diesel Jetta this morning. -11 with a near -40 wind chill. Brrrr...

I always find myself looking at new bikes and planning trips this time of year! :D

Look into a Frost Heater! I've got on in each of our three VW diesels. I plug mine in about an hour before I want to start it, and by then, the engine starts up just like a summer day, and the heater is working right away. I can't tell you what a nice thing it is. Unlike a normal block heater, it circulates the heated coolant, which makes it more effective.

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here