Author Topic: Oil pressure sending unit, 2007 Griso 1100  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Mark_Z

• Hatchling
Oil pressure sending unit, 2007 Griso 1100
« on: April 29, 2015, 07:50:50 PM »
First off I would like to say to Curtis Harper, I aint mad.

Next, the usual blather about red oil cans on the dash and the realization that I am again in need of a new oil pressure sending unit, the second one in the space of less than a year. Do all these units have such a short service life, or is it just Sophia?

Anyway, Harper's sends me a new one, mentions that the supplier has changed the unit, and that I might need an adapter. I get the new unit, and sure enough I need tha adpter. The next week I recieve the adapter, only now I have another problem. The sending unit is cleverly tucked in under the alternater, with just enough room to get a box end wrench on it, at least on most other Grisos of this model year. I am forced to take off the alternater, because a casting defect on the crankcase is in the way of using a box end wrench. I lived with the defect the last time I swapped the sending unit, but this time I took a grinding stone to the area around the unit, and voila! No problemo. The problem is that the adapter stands proud of the crankcase about 3/4 of an inch, and in the way of actually putting the alternater back on. Curtis allows as how he has a few of the older sending units and sends me one, only it isn't quite the same as the original unit. The new unit has a bullet connecter and now makes the unit almost as tall as unit with the new adapter.

So, if I am eventually going to have to use the new style unit, I am considering using Swagelok fittings so that I can cock the sending unit sideways. I know that Swagelok fittings can handle several thousand psi of air pressure but I not so sure about liquid pressure. Anyone have any thoughts?

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
Best quality vinyl available today. Easy application.
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here