Author Topic: The end of the dSLR camera?  (Read 2704 times)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
The end of the dSLR camera?
« on: April 11, 2018, 01:25:12 PM »
Got this latest from DP.  It looks like the trend is for full-frame mirrorless cameras. 

Those bulky lens might still be used with adapters but the new mount lenses are much less balky.  Sony has pretty much gone that route with it's  E-mount (I still have all those Minolta A-mounts).  It looks like all the name brands are following suit.

https://www.dpreview.com/interviews/5014039475/cp-2018-interviews-the-reign-of-the-dslr-is-almost-over?ref_=pe_1822230_279979850_dpr_nl_308_4

"At a certain point, the mirror and prism will become barriers to further innovation"
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
Re: The end of the dSLR camera?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 02:05:54 PM »
It looks from the article like technology for its own sake.  I don't think "full frame" SLR and high-end video needs are the same, and trying to squeeze all the features for both into a single package is exactly what the article is already critical of when they say that DSLR bodies are packed with options nobody uses.  I also think that there is a lot of commercial incentive to (unnecessarily) obsolete my 50 year collection of compatible lens mounts -- gotta get all new glass at whatever price point they offer on account of they changed the mount.  Maybe for the next generation.  Not for me.

But I'm still happy with my field cameras, so what do I know?

Offline Toecutter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 02:22:35 PM »
Hey, I've still got my Pentax K1000 that I started using when I was learning to develop my own pictures back in '84.
Old enough to say I've done it, young enough to do it again.

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 02:41:56 PM »
I decided to go mirrorless after my first dSLR.

My current camera is an Olympus OM-D E-M5 Mark II. As a Micro 4/3 unit, I do give up a bit on sensor size, but to be honest the quality of the output is hard to tell from larger heavier cameras that have full-size sensors. In return, I get standardized lens mounts that allow me a much larger selection of lenses, Olympus' industry leading in-camera image stabilization (5 axis on my camera!), and their excellent JPEG rendering (I shoot RAW + JPEG at all times).

The camera looks like a dSLR though smaller, and has a built-in electronic viewfinder with more resolution than the back screen panel - it really is as clear as the best mirror and prism assembly, and allows me to see all the shooting info right in the viewfinder. I don't miss the traditional approach at all, at least not for digital shooting.

I do still have my Contax SLRs and Zeiss lenses for when I want to do 35mm, and I also have 4x5 and 5x7 rail cameras. With the difficulty of getting film processed, that gear is seeing less and less use, even though I still prefer it to digital for certain kinds of work.

One place where digital has a clear and unquestioned advantage? My underwater photographic gear. I use a 20MP SeaLife SDC2000 with a 1" Sony sensor, two flash units on extension arms, and a video light over the main housing. The neat thing about that set-up is that I can change lenses underwater, something no traditional housed camera (digital or film) can do. I carry a wide, a fisheye, and a macro lens, and can swap between them 80 feet down!
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 02:41:56 PM »

Online AJ Huff

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 03:14:49 PM »
I haven't seen a full frame mirror less camera yet. Until then I'll stick to dSLR

-AJ
'71 Ambassador
'01 California Special
'05 Road King
MGNOC# L-753

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 03:50:13 PM »
Does my phone have a mirror on it?  :evil:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Joe A.

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2018, 03:57:38 PM »
I recently changed to a Sony Alpha A6000 mirrorless camera, very impressed so far. Most notable is the electronic viewfinder where you can see input changes real time before taking the picture. The in camera menus are robust to say the least and I'm still in the learning process. After >20 years as a Canon film and DSLR guy, I gave all my gear to my sister who is now learning photography. Very happy with the change and I'm not looking back. As an avid hobbyist, I don't feel I've given anything up. If you are interested in what these are all about, check out Gary Fong videos on YouTube.

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2018, 04:49:33 PM »
Yeah I really like the A6000.

But really, what does it matter what camera you use if it does what you need?

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2018, 05:08:26 PM »
Haven't seen anyone's use of the word "luddite" in a while?? Used to be one of Kev M's favorite words  :wink:

It's my Brownie and I'm stickin' to it! Harrumph!
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2018, 05:30:30 PM »
Certainly Sony got the thing going with the E-Mount for both fullframe and APS-c.  Now it looks like Canon and Nikon or getting on board.

I like the APS-C format because I like the crop or "multiplication" factor. 
« Last Edit: April 11, 2018, 05:39:03 PM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2018, 05:57:20 PM »
I am  sticking with my Rolleiflex 126 SLR and Robot 35mm half frame.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2018, 06:13:03 PM »
35mm half frame.

Haven't heard that for a while.  :smiley: I used to process my own half frame slides. Cheaper (Guzzi content) than full frame.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2018, 06:55:52 PM »
Haven't seen anyone's use of the word "luddite" in a while?? Used to be one of Kev M's favorite words  :wink:

It's my Brownie and I'm stickin' to it! Harrumph!

Here are a few of mine.  I shoot everything except that Kodak 126.

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2018, 06:59:32 PM »
Here are a few of mine.  I shoot everything except that Kodak 126.

Nice collection!  :thumb:
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline Joliet Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Justus Esto, Et Non Metue
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2018, 07:20:02 PM »
They'll have to pry my Pentax from my cold dead hands.
1975 T160 Triumph Trident "Spot"
2002 Cali Stone "Moby Dick"
1998 Centauro "Psycho Chicken"
2003 Buell Blast "Pegasus"

Offline harry h

• Hatchling
« Reply #15 on: April 11, 2018, 10:13:13 PM »
Oh no, I just got the new Nikon D-850 along with the trinity.  Don't know of any pros that would use the mirrorless with the abuse the cameras take.  The Sony A7Riii has gotten excellent reviews though.
1972 Eldorado
2016 Eldorado

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 11, 2018, 10:16:34 PM »
Oh no, I just got the new Nikon D-850 along with the trinity.  Don't know of any pros that would use the mirrorless with the abuse the cameras take.  The Sony A7Riii has gotten excellent reviews though.

Actually, with fewer moving parts than a dSLR, a mirrorless camera should be able to take more abuse - so long as it is built to the same standard.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: April 12, 2018, 03:41:14 AM »
I've got a couple of older Fujis and they are great, I like the layout and a lot of the controls that you need regularly are on the camera body not buried in layer 36 of some sub-menu, sort of a poor man's Leica. The older Fujis though are not full frame sensor nor is the focus that fast, so not much use for sports etc: (there are ways around this but it takes a bit of practice and old fashioned skill)

Just on the topic of durability, the one thing that needs care is changing lenses.

When you remove the lens, the sensor is exposed, while a DSLR's is covered by the mirror. You have to be very careful or you will end up with dirt on the sensor, so IMHO they are not as robust as a DSLR.

Where they score is you can review the photo with all the settings applied before you take the picture, you know what you are going to get.

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: April 12, 2018, 06:32:18 AM »
My sinar 8x10 is gathering dust while I'm using my iPad...

Beside the rollieflex...next to the nikkormat...next to the three body hassleblad kit...and the two leicas/8 lenses...the 4/5s look cute al lined up next to the 7-8 lenses

The circa 1950 two thousand pound 8x10 enlarger has turned into recyclable material...

The 16/20 trays sit on a shelf...next to Rodinal, HC110, dektol, stop bath bottles, and fixer makings

Red darkroom fluorescent tubes sit in the corner...extra large photo sink, 16/20 print washers, drying racks, mounting press, Matt cutters, 7-8 tripods, 5 2000 watt power packs, 20 lamp heads, reflectors, umbrellas, light boxes, light stands, foam core, background stands, posing stools, dust brushes, retouching tools...

All go unused while I take snaps with my iPad....ill never be able to make another archival selenium toned print on Agfa Brovira 111 in a wet darkroom, again...but dang these fancy new cameras are great!

Some huge photo manufacturers were crushed by the digital revolution, and may still disappear...just consider Kodak....all gone.

"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline steven c

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: April 12, 2018, 08:06:36 AM »
 Chuck you can open a museum! Unloaded my D2 and most of my dark room to a collage student10 years ago or so. You wouldn't happen to have a couple 8' light stands you could part with? Mine are falling apart. See you Sunday?
2020 V85TT Traveler
74 949 Eldorado

75 Benelli 250
2006 Buell Ulysses
78 Honda XL125

MGNOC 6412

Offline harry h

• Hatchling
« Reply #20 on: April 12, 2018, 10:48:06 AM »
My sinar 8x10 is gathering dust while I'm using my iPad...

Beside the rollieflex...next to the nikkormat...next to the three body hassleblad kit...and the two leicas/8 lenses...the 4/5s look cute al lined up next to the 7-8 lenses

The circa 1950 two thousand pound 8x10 enlarger has turned into recyclable material...

The 16/20 trays sit on a shelf...next to Rodinal, HC110, dektol, stop bath bottles, and fixer makings

Red darkroom fluorescent tubes sit in the corner...extra large photo sink, 16/20 print washers, drying racks, mounting press, Matt cutters, 7-8 tripods, 5 2000 watt power packs, 20 lamp heads, reflectors, umbrellas, light boxes, light stands, foam core, background stands, posing stools, dust brushes, retouching tools...

All go unused while I take snaps with my iPad....ill never be able to make another archival selenium toned print on Agfa Brovira 111 in a wet darkroom, again...but dang these fancy new cameras are great!

Some huge photo manufacturers were crushed by the digital revolution, and may still disappear...just consider Kodak....all gone.

Are you selling anything?  I started digging though some of my old equipment and found that the foam inside several cases has turned to goo and was a real pain to remove.  Luckily, it was not lenses or cameras, just a meter case and one of my Norman packs.

1972 Eldorado
2016 Eldorado

Offline chuck peterson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2018, 05:58:46 AM »
I was most lucky to join a company who paid for all the digital cameras...a prepress color separation company

The obscene figure of $350,000 sticks in my mind for the first Megavision cameras...had an ASA of 6 I believe...it put red green and blue filters in front of the lense, and then you had to give three full strobe pops at 2000 watts, so nine full power exposures in a dark studio to get an image

It was obsolete in 2 yrs, and non one made money on it.....
"I'd like to thank all my friends who have kept my Guzzi's going, but mostly...TOMB."
150k on Verts
750 Nevada
400f
R5 Yammie
BV250
4x 1976 Moto Demm Smily,, now 5, oops now 6, oops now 7
1980 SP1000 in little bits and pieces

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2018, 12:54:37 PM »
actually my camera is considered a DSLT.  It has a translucent mirror that is stationary.  No reflex.  It loses about 1/3 a stop.  And it cycles very fast and can go 10+ shots/sec.  It uses the old Minolta A-mount lenses.  And has an ASP-C sensor.

So it's becoming obsolete but works OK for me. 

Like motorcycles, there are always newer and better cameras, formats and lenses. 
John L 

Offline ScepticalScotty

• Gaggle Hero
  • Banjo pickin' bagpipe playin' fool
    • South East Massive
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2018, 02:53:01 AM »
I'll think about that digital photography and a DSLR one day. As a dedicated amateur and arty type, my FE, 35RC, and Trip will have to do. ☺ I'm concentrating on improvement on the wetware behind the viewfinder😆
Scotty

My country is the world, and my religion is to do good.
Thomas Paine

Offline Two Checks

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2018, 09:06:12 AM »
Kodak isnt gone the only dropped out of film for the most part. They branched out into digital printing presses.
1990 Cal III f/f  "Il Duce' III"
1987 1000 SPII "Il Duce' II"

Offline Yukonica

• Gaggle Hero
    • Borealbreeze Bernese Mountain Dogs
« Reply #25 on: April 14, 2018, 10:19:26 PM »
It would be terrible if DSLR were to become obsolete. People would have to dump those useless white lenses for next to nothing.
I could upgrade my 70-200 f4, I could afford a 300 or 400mm, and I might even be able the re-use an obsolete 1D X.
It really would be terrible if the rumour mills were accurate just this once.
One may write one's destiny but the unknown delivers it.

Offline Guido Valvole

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: April 14, 2018, 10:50:01 PM »
A couple of years ago I lucked into a very slightly used Sony A7ii with Novoflex Nikon F adapter for a good price. I can use *all* of my manual Nikkors, even the pre-AI ones. Can't do that with Nikon's own cameras. With a Leica M adapter and M-to-threadmount (LTM) adapters that I already had, I can use all my Leica-mount lenses. Best of which for the Sony is a mid-50s 50/1.4 Nikkor in LTM. Rangefinder-coupled to the standard 1 meter, but focuses to 18". Not all that easy to deal with up close on a film camera unless stopped down or on a tripod with distance measured, but on the Sony it's essentially an SLR and the contrast-enhancement makes it close to a Leica M for ease of focus. Depth of field at f 1.4 and 18" is about a millimeter, interesting and entertaining.

Even with the Nikkors and especially with LTM lenses, the Sony is much smaller than any DSLR. Almost like an M in size and heft. ISO from 50 to something ridiculous, excellent high-ISO performance when needed. I suspect it's not particularly motorcycle vibration-friendly, though. iPhone works there, and the various Nikon Fs and Nikkormats and screwmount Leica bodies aren't going to be bothered in a tank bag.
V50 II
V50 Monza
Le Mans 1000 (IV)
Martinez, CA

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here