Author Topic: Wire wheel Norge  (Read 10012 times)

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Wire wheel Norge
« Reply #30 on: January 25, 2017, 11:07:22 AM »
I've just thought something Huzo me old mate

If you end up in my neck of the woods in 2017, you'll need to bring a big chain.

If you don't you might find that bike up on bricks and the wheels gracing my B11  :evil: :evil:
2017 V9 Roamer
2005 Breva 1100 (non ABS) "Bruno" - now sold
1995 Cali 1100 - carby   "Dino" -now sold
1993 TW125 "POS" - Resting

pete roper

« Reply #31 on: January 25, 2017, 12:11:22 PM »
He uses the enormous box to carry around his collection of shrunken heads. Real talking point when he gets nicked for speeding........

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: January 25, 2017, 04:17:56 PM »
Would those be the shrunken heads of the previous individuals that lusted after his wheels?

If yes I might need to sub contract the job :wink:
2017 V9 Roamer

Online lti_57

• Directly above the center of the Earth
  • Gosling
« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2017, 05:13:13 PM »
Thats pretty  bad ass looking.
looks way better  good job
2007 Guzzi Griso
1992 BMW K75

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: January 25, 2017, 05:13:13 PM »

Online lti_57

• Directly above the center of the Earth
  • Gosling
« Reply #34 on: January 25, 2017, 05:29:20 PM »
Yes, it's just a toggle switch that I got from a good auto elec. it points straight up at rest, when you hold your finger one way it lowers the screen till you release it, or raises when held opposite. You need to identify the live wire that feeds the button for each side on the silly standard setup and splice them together, feed that into your toggle to supply power, then simply wire the other two remaining wires into your new switch to achieve the up/down function that you're after. The big PITA with the original setup wasn't reaching with your left thumb for "up", it's taking your hand off the throttle to retract the screen, or to reach across with your left.If you jump on your bike and look where your left hand is on the 'bar, directly below that on the black panel that screws to the fairing is where I mounted mine. It just works better.
I did this a few years ago I am kind of anal so I used this switch.  Part number 679-1420-ND from www.digikey.com
Nice Mil spec switch  way better ergos not perfect but better.
they were 31 dollars when i did this in 2010   
2007 Guzzi Griso
1992 BMW K75

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: January 25, 2017, 05:39:29 PM »
Bike is beautfull.....the house ain't too shabby either . As for your trunk / tour pack ......
I have a similar one on my 13' Norge ........ functional yes but as my kid says "looks like ass" .
Dam thing just looks to top heavy ....... maybe I'm just too old . Just saying .       Fin .
Yes to all of that... I generally don't have it on these days unless I'm doing a message or overseas touring etc..As mentioned I've moved the mount so that it's under the centre of mass of the trunk. The original set up on the Norge is not good IMO. The mounts are under great fatigue loads on the standard arrangement and not good enough. Also trunk is a lot further forward on mine as well. Also I've got a 1/4" machined pin that pokes through the bottom of the trunk and takes a clevis clip. This locks the thing in place. Once on a BMW R1200 GS in France, I stopped to do something and when I hopped back on, swung the leg over the seat, no problems there, the only issue was I knocked the top case and the bastard fell off on the road.... I hadn't locked it properly. Imagine pulling into a roadside grill at dawn and noticing that your top case has parted company somewhere between you and the last fuel stop !!!! Oh dear.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2017, 07:09:22 PM by Huzo »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #36 on: January 25, 2017, 05:40:21 PM »
He uses the enormous box to carry around his collection of shrunken heads. Real talking point when he gets nicked for speeding........
Oooohh, you old hag...! But seriously PR, what's your arrangement for little upcoming jaunts like circumnavigation/s of the best country in the world ?
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 05:57:42 PM by Huzo »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: January 25, 2017, 05:48:39 PM »
I've just thought something Huzo me old mate

If you end up in my neck of the woods in 2017, you'll need to bring a big chain.

If you don't you might find that bike up on bricks and the wheels gracing my B11  :evil: :evil:
Nothing that can't be done Tris. I did mine myself and they work ok. Hubs from Bellagio, rear spokes Bellagio, front spokes Griso ( Bellagio runs 18" front so NBG for Norge, you need 17", and no, you can't shorten the Bellagio ones 'cos they run 32 tpi and normal stuff uses 28 tpi or similar, I scoured the known universe and I couldn't locate a thread roller that'd do 32's), and home made tool to bore spoke holes dead in line. Anyway if they ended up on your Breva that wouldn't be all bad, it'd look good I reckon, but you'd expect me to say that I guess.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2017, 06:00:54 PM by Huzo »

Offline Rayjv

• New Egg
« Reply #38 on: January 25, 2017, 06:48:57 PM »
Bike is beautfull.....the house ain't too shabby either . As for your trunk / tour pack ......
I have a similar one on my 13' Norge ........ functional yes but as my kid says "looks like ass" .
Dam thing just looks to top heavy ....... maybe I'm just too old . Just saying .       Fin .

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: January 26, 2017, 05:27:42 AM »
From the first time I saw your wire wheels I thought how good the B11 would look.
Ebay search for Griso SE wheels in place and cash negotiations with domestic management will commence if a set pops up   :wink:
2017 V9 Roamer

Offline tazio

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: January 26, 2017, 05:34:37 AM »
Not a huge fan of plastic fantastic bikes.
BUT YOUR NORGE IS A THING OF BEAUTY  :bow:
Current Fleet
2015 Moto-Guzzi GRiSO
1972 Aermacchi Harley-Davidson 350 Sprint
1967 Kawasaki 650 W2TT
1966 Triumph Bonneville

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #41 on: January 26, 2017, 01:18:23 PM »
From the first time I saw your wire wheels I thought how good the B11 would look.
Ebay search for Griso SE wheels in place and cash negotiations with domestic management will commence if a set pops up   :wink:
FWIW Tris, mine owe me about AUD 1,000  Would have been less but I had to buy new spokes for the front. About $8.00 each from memory. The rims were about €500 I think from memory. That's a rough estimate. With the Griso they'll be black. Someone else on the forum put black ones on a Norge and they looked as good as mine I reckon, but probably more $$$$$ than mine. Dunno.

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #42 on: January 26, 2017, 11:41:22 PM »
Are those spoke rims tubeless?   They look great !

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #43 on: January 27, 2017, 12:10:59 AM »
Are those spoke rims tubeless?   They look great !
Yeah tubeless. O rings on the spoke heads, and will be getting a seamless rubber ring 1" wide sealed onto the rim over the spoke heads. The presssure will hold it down. I sealed the spoke heads also with sealant when I assembled them, but that seal will be broken if I turn the nipple to tension or replace a spoke, hence the rubber, I don't want the O rings to be the only barrier to a leak.
« Last Edit: January 27, 2017, 12:34:18 AM by Huzo »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #44 on: January 27, 2017, 12:25:48 AM »
Some say mine could do with being a bit smaller... (must be big headed) cruel but fair..

Offline tris

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #45 on: January 27, 2017, 02:06:50 AM »
FWIW Tris, mine owe me about AUD 1,000  Would have been less but I had to buy new spokes for the front. About $8.00 each from memory. The rims were about �500 I think from memory. That's a rough estimate. With the Griso they'll be black. Someone else on the forum put black ones on a Norge and they looked as good as mine I reckon, but probably more $$$$$ than mine. Dunno.

Mhh - black bike, black rims, black badges, black shiny Norge panniers and bloke with a chav red, white and green helmet riding it  - what more could you want  :wink:
2017 V9 Roamer

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: January 27, 2017, 02:22:09 AM »
Mhh - black bike, black rims, black badges, black shiny Norge panniers and bloke with a chav red, white and green helmet riding it  - what more could you want  :wink:
Bugger all.. His bike is a silver Norge I think but can't remember for sure. Looked damn good though.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #47 on: January 27, 2017, 02:27:40 AM »
Looks can be deceiving.  I have the cast aluminum wheels on my Stelvio.  They are slightly lighter than the spoked wheels that came OEM on the bike.  Also, the rear cases will weigh only about 12-15# each.  His largest weight savings, if the cat converter is in the muffler on the Norge (like the Stelvio), is probably the aftermarket muffler without the converter.  If the converter is not in the muffler, and mounted elsewhere on the bike, the weight savings will only be a few pounds.
That may or may not be true Chuck, I don't know but that was never the aim..

Offline guzzi ride

• "One more day I find myself alive Tomorrow maybe go beneath the ground" Garcia/Hunter
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #48 on: January 27, 2017, 04:55:53 PM »
Huzo, your bike looks great! Here's a few pics of mine.
Stelvio rear and Griso front wheel and 1200 sport forks and bars.

upload picture without account

twowings

« Reply #49 on: January 27, 2017, 08:13:09 PM »
Red Norges ARE the Jameela Jamils of the bike world... :bow:

Just sayin'...

Offline Mayor_of_BBQ

• Instagram: @Mayor_of_BBQ
  • Gaggle Hero
  • 'Ever thus to deadbeats, Lebowski'
« Reply #50 on: January 27, 2017, 11:40:43 PM »
can you tell us a little more about the high pipe? It looks amazing like that. Is it a staintune can?
Chad (Shadrach) in Asheville NC
1979 LeMans CX-100 (battle axe)
2007 Breva 1100 (Sport 1200 tribute)

Offline jdgretz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Proud Owner of a Red Norge
« Reply #51 on: January 28, 2017, 01:09:51 AM »

Any particular reason you went with the Stelvio slightly smaller rear wheel (4.15x17 vs. 5.5x17)?

Looks great.

jdg
2007 Norge Sophia The Fast Red One
1999 Honda Helix - Zippy
2008 Honda Goldwing

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #52 on: January 28, 2017, 01:12:57 AM »

Yeah Guzz. I thought I remembered it as a Silver Norge. The black wheels give a stocky solid look to the whole thing IMO. Granted the silver ones look ok too, but if my bike was silver I'd love the black ones too. Noice !! Also they'd look better filthy dirty than the bare Aluminium does. PS, I like the look of the Norge with the chin fairing and rear panels gone, mine did 85 metres with them on from new, and I never re fitted them. Again I think removing them takes some of the "fat" look off the bike.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 01:30:19 AM by Huzo »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #53 on: January 28, 2017, 01:24:30 AM »
can you tell us a little more about the high pipe? It looks amazing like that. Is it a staintune can?
Yes. Here's the short version Barbie. The standard Staintune for the Norge is 500mm long, I asked for a shorter one @ 400 mm. The "s" pipe I did as a homage to the MGS 01 style without trying to look like a copy. I kinda like the look of the VFR 750/800 Hondas.  I made a pattern first using standard pipe bends in mild steel 'till I was happy with the bend radii, then put it in a mandrel bender for a replica in Stainless. The mandrel bender leaves no dents where the bends are. The bottom radius is 110 mm and the top one is 90 mm. The bend is 100 deg. If you do both radii the same with a 90 deg bend, it looks like something from a Monty Python opening credits. ( Horrible)...The perceived benefits of the high pipe are, better visibility of the rear wheel and easier removal, and the whole rear end looks lighter IMO. Having the pipe where it was covering the rear wheel is like going out with a supermodel and wrapping a scarf over her face. Bugger that !!!
« Last Edit: January 28, 2017, 01:26:05 AM by Huzo »

Offline guzzi ride

• "One more day I find myself alive Tomorrow maybe go beneath the ground" Garcia/Hunter
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #54 on: January 28, 2017, 08:08:27 AM »
Any particular reason you went with the Stelvio slightly smaller rear wheel (4.15x17 vs. 5.5x17)?

Looks great.

jdg
The rear is from an earlier version 5.5x17

Offline guzzi ride

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #55 on: January 28, 2017, 08:12:07 AM »
Yeah Guzz. I thought I remembered it as a Silver Norge. The black wheels give a stocky solid look to the whole thing IMO. Granted the silver ones look ok too, but if my bike was silver I'd love the black ones too. Noice !! Also they'd look better filthy dirty than the bare Aluminium does. PS, I like the look of the Norge with the chin fairing and rear panels gone, mine did 85 metres with them on from new, and I never re fitted them. Again I think removing them takes some of the "fat" look off the bike.
Huzo, The lowers and chin are back on to stay...my boys couldn't the heat :cool:

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #56 on: January 28, 2017, 04:11:19 PM »
Ok Guzz that's fair enough, still looks damn good, actually looks like it should gave been built that way. If I'd have ever been asked I would gave said that the panels keep the heat in and vent it out near your shins more than without, but I've never ridden mine with them on as you have, so I wouldn't know. Very nice !

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2017, 09:23:28 AM »

How have your wheels worked out GR ? Was going over some old stuff and thought how good they look on your silver Norge.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2017, 09:28:49 AM by Huzo »

Offline guzzi ride

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2017, 04:42:14 PM »
Thanks again Huzo! They are still rolling just fine. Lately I've been rolling on this. A lot of fun in the twisties.

how to upload photo

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2017, 05:03:23 PM »
Thanks again Huzo! They are still rolling just fine. Lately I've been rolling on this. A lot of fun in the twisties.

how to upload photo

Hell yeah! Looks like it'd be nimble as hell and I recall although the MZ's of yesterday were an acquired taste, the build quality was good. Stainless rims and spokes, basic but solid switchgear etc..

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here