Author Topic: Wiring Help!?  (Read 995 times)

Offline Dan Beaman

• Gaggle Mentor
  • SW Iowa....no we don't grow potatoes here!
Wiring Help!?
« on: August 07, 2017, 09:15:07 AM »
I have an '81 G5.  I was having light issues with them being dim and I've sorted that down to needing a new switch. All contacts were cleaned up and the normal issues checked into with brushes, rotors, grounding, and rectifier tested. I replaced the switch and am having a terrible time finding which wires to attach to which wires. The Vetter fairing wiring and new switch wiring are easy. It's the bike wiring that's making my brain cells hurt. Every schematic I've found seems to have color codes that don't match my bike!

free photo hosting

This diagram is accurate.

This is the diagram I've found for the bike:

image storage api

It shows using the brown wire for a couple things. There IS no brown wire! The gray wire is for the passing lights and should run through the relay. When I hook the passing lights wire to that gray, nothing happens at all. I can add a hot wire to it or my test light from ground to it and it activates the relay. I'm thinking other wires are not connected right to complete the circuit. No clue. Electrical genius I'm not! It's also showing a blue/black wire that's absent (or more likely a different color) that should be the main headlight wire and on switch.

Any constructive help would be appreciated. Which wires go to which???

Dan
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 05:41:55 PM by Dan Beaman »
MGNOC L797
'81 G5
'98 EV

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: Wiring Help!?
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2017, 06:27:36 PM »
I don't have any problem using the diagram in the back of the 1000SP/G5 service book. It's always been correct. After 41yrs reading the colors I got it.

Brights & flash go through a relay.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2017, 06:30:30 PM by guzzisteve »
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Offline Dan Beaman

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2017, 06:50:09 PM »
So, Steve, what colors did the drunk Italian guys change from the brown on the diagram? I have no brown wire. I also have no blue/white.

I have 3 hot wires. One is a larger black/red. I think the others are white and one is yellow. I know my turn signal main wire will be one that's always hot even with the ignition turned off. What about the others?
MGNOC L797
'81 G5
'98 EV

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 07:20:27 PM »
Went and had a look at book.  Grey wire is to ground on the switch so relay activates. If you ground that wire high beam should work.

I would find the high beam relay, it's somewhat clear plastic, like the stock one for starter.
The correct colors for your bike should come from it, in theory. It used to be mounted by the headstock in front of the air box snout.

My diagram shows brown  wire and blue/black wire.  Yellow should be low beam.
Turn signals are hooked up to 4 way flashers and are live w/key off.
I have no idea who wired that bike, maybe an American who owned it.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2017, 07:20:27 PM »

Offline Dan Beaman

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2017, 09:25:44 PM »
Thank you Sir. I think this will help.  Now it's going to be a couple days before I can get back to it with work duties.
MGNOC L797
'81 G5
'98 EV

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here