Author Topic: Wondering about GG Deep Sump to 1100 Sporti  (Read 2006 times)

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
Wondering about GG Deep Sump to 1100 Sporti
« on: November 06, 2018, 10:03:01 AM »
Given my current problems with the 1000 4V engine and swapping across the internals for the oil cooler on the 1100 to try on the 1000

I was wondering if this did prove to solve the problem on the 4V engine, if I'd just be better junking the oil cooler and broad sump extender and instead purchase the GG Deep sump from HMB and install it on the 1100. I coulldn't do this on the 1000 due to the full fairing.

Paul Daytona did this as I recall with his 1000 4V engine (well he junked the broad sump and installed a deep sump instead)

The idea appeals as I then can change the filter without the hassle on the 1100 and also do away with the complication of the oil cooler

Any comments anybody, it's just an idea at this stage

John

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Wondering about GG Deep Sump to 1100 Sporti
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2018, 01:07:39 PM »

Offline malik

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2018, 02:07:11 PM »
I'm all for it - practical advantage wins, just don't know enough about the technical pros & cons.
2010 V7 Classic, 2014 V7 Special
1996 1100 Sport Carb (in NZ), 2004 V11 LeMans (in UK)
Carberry Enfield V-Twin, 2008 Royal Enfield Electra, 2006 RE Electra 535

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 03:38:05 PM »
I installed a G&G oil sump on both my Bassa's. As far as technical differences, well, Moto Guzzi chose to mount the oil filter on the inside and the G&G moves the oil filter to the outside. Changing oil couldn't be easier with the G&G if your bike originally had the oil filter inside the sump. Nearly every other motorcycle has the oil filter within easy outside access of the oil sump. Don't listen to the fear monger's who may complain about an oil filter being damaged. Unless they only buy a car with the oil filter inside the oil sump. An added benefit to the G&G oil sumps I had a few years ago is the G&G was superior quality to the oem Guzzi sump. At least it looked like it to me.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2018, 03:38:05 PM »

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2018, 03:48:13 PM »
Don't listen to the fear monger's who may complain about an oil filter being damaged.
In principle, I agree..but.. the setup with the filter sticking forward just behind the front wheel is asking for it. IMHO, of course, YMMV, etc.  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

pete roper

« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2018, 06:39:28 PM »
Are we talking about the 'V' sump that Chuck mentions or the one pictured above? With the one above if people are worried about the filter protruding below the sump, (And to be honest, living where I do I'd have a few mild concerns.) the simple answer would be to use the Cali 14/post '15 Griso filter or equivalent. It's only half the depth of the earlier filter. (Something that just goes to prove the lack of necessity for changing the 'Large' filter every service. If it's been established that a filter with half the filtering medium of the earlier one isn't going to load up in 10,000km then why would one twice the size load up in the same distance?)

Pete

Offline Mr Revhead

• Gosling
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2018, 03:23:51 AM »
That looks very good.... Until you see the price  :shocked:

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2018, 03:55:20 AM »
Yup neither of these sumps are cheap, if you're cheap stick with an extender.

My thoughts were either the GG or possibly the MotoSpezial V sump.

I prefer the GG but think the MotoSpezial might give better cooling.

The MotoSpezial has the filter facing forward, I have one on the LM 1000 engine and it works a treat.

Either up front or protruding out the base increases the chance of the filter getting UFO'd but it does not concern me, IMHO the odds of it happening are miniscule.

The main things that concern me about taking this route are

Would I still have adequate cooling, I'm junking an oil cooler?

Would crankcase breathing be Ok? I'm guessing it may be slightly improved.

What to do with the oil return lines from the frame that currently go to the base of the sump?

John

Online Frenchfrog

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2018, 08:42:37 AM »
No experiance with those engines to go by but put a ventilated  extension ring on my 650 smallblock and it had no positive effect on the cooling as far as I could make out without instruments.

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2018, 09:46:45 AM »
I have the MotoSpezial  version, and did it long without cooler. But for the mighty 4V it was not enough. Return lines to the back.

A hole in the original part where a smaller one goes in with a v11 oil return line, one will do.
You get no hole in the filter, no fear. I tried it long enough

At last I added this:

V11 cooler

« Last Edit: November 07, 2018, 09:48:13 AM by pauldaytona »
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Offline Old Jock

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2018, 10:09:43 AM »
Paul your reply is appreciated.

It appears that you used the drain plug on the Moto Spezial V Sump to plumb in a hose fitting and single oil return line, which I'm guessing has a Tee somewhere to accommodate the 2 return lines either side of the frame, or did you just plug one side?

What I'd probably do is run it without a cooler and see how I get on, if it wasn't sufficient then I could install a cooler. I don't run the 1100 that hard, all road, no track.

Was the oil cooler adaptation a kit and what did you do about a stat?

Thanks

John

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here