Author Topic: Computer memory brand?  (Read 1029 times)

Offline old head

• Gaggle Hero
Computer memory brand?
« on: January 15, 2020, 01:43:16 PM »
2 issues

first
I need some guidance.   Wife's computer is an old HP P6803, originally it was Vista I believe.  Now its running windows 10 via updates.
It has 1 stick of 4gb of ram, according to Crucible memory finder, has 4 slots for memory, so 3 slots empty.  Max total memory is 16gb
Her hard drive appears to be 21% full.

It is getting very slow, so I thought I would throw some memory at it.

Does it really matter brand of memory and why such a huge difference in price for the same amount of memory?

second
lately, it has started cutting off the bottom of letters when printing a PDF document.  Doesn't do this with jpg or when I print a test page. 
what should I check, its really frustrating.
I did the align printer, cleaned headers, prints fine.
HP 3740 deskjet.

I had her put some pdfs on a jump drive and printed them on my HP printer, no issue they all came out fine
stumped.

Old Head
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 02:42:01 PM by old head »
06 Breva 1100
Hepco-Becker crash bars
Givi A620 screen
Garmin GPS

Online Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
Re: Computer memory brand?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2020, 01:49:13 PM »
Brands are all over the place, I'd suggest you match them. If you have one, and buy a matching pair of something, then maybe use the new matching pair and take the single one out. Later, you can add the single back in and see if doesn't cause any problems. Pricing varies on the generation of the memory. Read the fine print on the current memory stick and get the same type. Some of the newer types are backward compatible. The price variance depends on the RAM type. Some RAM is cheap, some isn't. Hopefully you have the cheap type.

The print issue could be the drivers. Maybe download new print drivers from the manufacture.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 01:51:52 PM by Groover »
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Online pehayes

• Gaggle Hero
    • Falcone Touring
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2020, 02:03:16 PM »
Hard drive 79%???  I was always trained to never exceed 50%.  I think your slow down is due to the drive trying to swap and move files all over the place as  you work.  What size drive?  buy a bigger one and clone your drive over to the new one.

Patrick Hayes
Fremont CA

Offline old head

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 02:46:36 PM »
I mistyped, I should have put 79% free, I corrected it

I was thinking of getting 3 4GB sticks so all the slots would be full,
I have bought Crucible in the past and no issues.

the memory scanner says DDR3L 16 UDIMM

I uninstalled printer and reinstalled drivers. no change.
06 Breva 1100
Hepco-Becker crash bars
Givi A620 screen
Garmin GPS

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2020, 02:46:36 PM »

Online Groover

• Gaggle Hero
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2020, 03:15:28 PM »
The 16GB may have been a limitation of Windows Vista. You can use more than 16GB with Windows 10.

I'd still advise on getting a matching pair of something, even if you fill only two slots to meet your 16GB goal (using 2 x 8GB for example). Then if you want to throw more at it, then get another matching pair taking it to 32GB.

I've had mixed experience mixing and matching RAM brands and types, though should work still in most cases.

You can also check the computer for malware - could be part of the problem: https://www.malwarebytes.com/

Though 4GB on windows 10 is a little low...

The printer... not sure. That's all I had
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 03:23:01 PM by Groover »
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped

Offline OldMojo

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Career of Evil
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2020, 03:57:21 PM »
I'd double check the memory specs on the HP support website using the service numbers from the computer's data tag. Then triple check it against any ID on the memory stick itself.

I don't think many consumer level computers from the Vista era were equipped to exceed 16GB, given the OS limitations already mentioned. The ability to recognize more might be something you could find out by accessing the computer's BIOS screen. At any rate, make sure all sticks match as Groover says, paying particular attention to type and memory speed. Type will be DDR2, DDR3, etc, and speed will be PC800, PC1200, etc.

Memory is a lot cheaper than it used to be, and no one has ever said "I wish this computer had less memory"
Any time I've added memory to a machine, it's been a noticeable improvement.

Once you figure out what the max allowable is (I can't imagine it being over 32GB on a machine that age) figure on maxing it out. Maybe fill two slots at first, but plan on getting the other 2 fairly soon. Memory sticks are like shoes. If you find a flavor that works well, you may not be able to get that exact same flavor a few months from now.

No need for high dollar sticks. Those are for servers and overclockers.

As for the printing issue, I've seen Adobe do some weird things when chugging along due to low memory issues. If you can get it running snappier, the problem may go away. If not, perhaps an update has borked your print driver. Check the HP support site for the latest one and (re)install it.
"When you hit third gear, you'll forget everything she said"

'15 Griso 1200
'14 California Tour
'02 California EV
'80 CB 650C

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2020, 06:08:46 PM »
Just a thought before throwing money at it.. would she consider a tablet? My gal hasn't looked at her computer once since I got her an iPad. You can really do a lot more than computing on it.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Offline Demar

• Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2020, 09:18:49 PM »
Have you done a good virus/malware scan recently? When my computers run slow I always do a scan and it usually helps. For me it's like the frog in the pot. It takes me a while to realize it's running slow so by the time I realize I need to clean it up I'm at the point of being pretty frustrated with the computer.
I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • On the backside of the planet.
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2020, 10:54:44 PM »
I have just put together a system with an X570 motherboard (Ryzen) with a Ryzen 5 3600 chip.  Even with this, for general use 2x8gb ram is perfectly adequate.  I don't do gaming but crunch quite a few photos and videos and 16gb is more than doing the job.

I have gone GSkill tuned for the Ryzen chip.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2020, 10:55:48 PM by Muzz »
Muzz. Cristchurch, New Zealand
03 Breva

Life is just a bowl of Allbran
Ya wake up in the morning and it's there

Offline old head

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2020, 06:29:01 AM »
Have you done a good virus/malware scan recently? When my computers run slow I always do a scan and it usually helps. For me it's like the frog in the pot. It takes me a while to realize it's running slow so by the time I realize I need to clean it up I'm at the point of being pretty frustrated with the computer.

I run Malwarebytes, CCleaner, Spybot, and Super Antispyware about once a week.

Fan failed, so I am gonna go the local computer shop to pick a fan and some memory

Old Head
06 Breva 1100
Hepco-Becker crash bars
Givi A620 screen
Garmin GPS

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2020, 09:27:03 AM »
Is the computer 32 bit, or 64 bit? No point in going over 4GB if it is 32 bit.

Memory chips have different speeds. And may not include ECC (error checking). That affects the cost.

It you want a REAL speed improvement, move to a solid state drive along with the additional RAM.

No idea what it wrong with the printer. I used to like HP printers, but they beat me down over the years with the high ink prices, and dropping support for my printers. I just tossed a high dollar photo printer because the ink was unobtainium. I have moved on to Epson printers.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Online CPRMan

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2020, 12:17:07 PM »
Before increasing the memory, I'd replace the hard disk with a SSD. I put one into my laptop and it made a really noticeable difference. Increasing the memory had little effect. Just my 2c.

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: January 16, 2020, 01:52:49 PM »
Memory chips have different speeds. And may not include ECC (error checking). That affects the cost.

It you want a REAL speed improvement, move to a solid state drive along with the additional RAM.

Is the computer 32 bit, or 64 bit? No point in going over 4GB if it is 32 bit.
Good point Wayne. I just assumed it was 64 bit. :embarrassed:

I never bothered with the high zoot CL14 with ECC.  I thought that for what I do the odd second here or there I could live with against the price. Basic Flare X CL16 non EC but running at 3200.

THIS!!!!  I went with the Samsung 1TB 970 Evo plus and used the old WD 1TB Black as a backup drive.  What a difference!!!!

I have always been a desktop kind of a guy, probably why I ride a Guzzi. :undecided:  Vista is indeed old, so old that you could well be running a 32 bit laptop.  If that was the case if it was mine I would be looking at dumping it.  The RAM will be DDR3 instead of DDR4.  Although the experts reckon there is not much speed difference between them running at the same clock speeds, DDR4 runs lower voltages and can come at native clock speeds much higher than DDR3.  Out here the once more expensive DDR4 is now cheaper than DDR3, mainly because DDR3 is basically dead and gone.

That old too, the chip and motherboard I suspect will probably have USB2.  The slowest ports on the one I have just put together is USB3 and has a couple of whizzbang ports at the back that can run even faster.  I was trying to future proof while going fro best "bang for the buck". USB3 is 10x faster than USB2.  I also updated my external 1TB backup drive to USB3.  You really notice the time difference if it needs to be called on.

Any new half decent laptop will also have an SSD fitted at least to load your start-up programs.  Believe me, your wife will think you are superman if you can get her something with an SSD fitted. :thumb:  Happy wife, happy life.

I guess a printer is like a motorcycle, individual preferences.  After trying all we have settled on Canon.  For general purpose and office use we use a generic ink.  In our Canon photo printer tend to use genuine Canon ink, but I am not sure actually whether they are any better.   We have dealt with the same firm for the inks for years and have never had any problems with their generic inks.  They are also one of the cheapest here in NZ and their generics are about 1/3 the price of genuine.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 02:06:21 PM by Muzz »
03 Breva

Online Groover

• Gaggle Hero
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2020, 01:59:13 PM »
I also assumed is was .64 bit. Agreed on the SSD. Night and day especially of moving from a 5400 RPM drive.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2020, 02:06:16 PM by Groover »
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2020, 02:07:26 PM »
I also assumed is was .64 bit. Agreed on the SSD. Night and day especially of moving from a 5400 RPM drive.

...which I can almost guarantee that one will be.
03 Breva

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2020, 08:05:14 AM »
I assumed if it came with Vista, it wouldn't be 64 bit.. :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline old head

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2020, 04:00:52 PM »
well, I think its 64bit, pretty sure.

it is DDR3 memory.
I thought about SS drive, but have had 3 and all 3 failed after a few months in my laptop.  so I nixed that pretty quick.  At least until they get it technology figured out.
When I pulled the fan out to replace it, I noticed the vents were covered in dust.  blew all the vents out with air and vacuumed the inside, seemed to help a lot.  Wife not complaining any more about speed.

Still going to upgrade memory.

Old Head
06 Breva 1100
Hepco-Becker crash bars
Givi A620 screen
Garmin GPS

Online Groover

• Gaggle Hero
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2020, 05:09:29 PM »
Vista was available in .32 and .64 bit, as was XP. If you right-click on My Computer or This PC then Properties, it should say which version you have in System Type.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2020, 09:00:18 PM by Groover »
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped

Offline Muzz

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2020, 02:22:43 AM »

I thought about SS drive, but have had 3 and all 3 failed after a few months in my laptop.  so I nixed that pretty quick.  At least until they get it technology figured out.

Old Head

SSD tech seems to be pretty reliable now.  Samsung has a 5 year warranty I think and some are more.  Very strange.
03 Breva

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2020, 09:40:25 AM »
well, I think its 64bit, pretty sure.

it is DDR3 memory.
When I pulled the fan out to replace it, I noticed the vents were covered in dust.  blew all the vents out with air and vacuumed the inside, seemed to help a lot.  Wife not complaining any more about speed.

Right click 'This PC' ( or 'My Computer' on Vista I think) and look at the properties.

Generally SS drives are reliable, unless you run them filled up. That damages them quickly.

Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here