Author Topic: Paging Vasco and anyone else who has thought of modifying spot's motor  (Read 4472 times)

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
Basically on Christmas day the LH slide plate on the sport parted company and went om nom nom into the cylinder, fortunately at idle and it got shut down straight away (if it starts make a bad noise turn it off straight away!). So other than a small bing in the barrel not where the rings run most bits are serviceable, well as serviceable as something that has been flogged pretty hard for 140 000kms can be (90 000 odd miles). So its in bits we are going new rings cam followers valve guides, valves if required cam chain/sprockets or gears and possibly a cam again depending on the thing thats in there's condition. I'll get some photo's up shortly.

So thoughts turn as they do to making it go faster hur hur hur! Without making a nail bomb, looking at maybe a mild port and polish although someone over here in the west to actually do it seems a little thin, and it has been suggest the P3 cam the go to hot up cam for Guzzi's. Only I was under the impression, not ever to be confused with fact that the P3 actually detunes 1100 Sports some power will be regained as we've obviously got a bit of blowby on the rings.

Do you have any recommendations for a head man or lady on the east coast and a cam it mainly does country runs so we can sacrifice some round town pleasantries not that it really had any to begin with.

Online John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
Re: Paging Vasco and anyone else who has thought of modifying spot's motor
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2015, 01:34:50 PM »
It was hard for me to understand your post but I think what you are asking for is mikerichmotorsports .com
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline cruzziguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2015, 02:00:17 PM »
I gotta ask: What's a "side plate" on a Spot?

Todd.
Todd
07 Calvin            77 TT500
95 Sport 1100      04 Breva 750
82 Katana           79 GS850G
72 "Crud"dorado
03 Barely Davidson 883 Huggy
Civilization ends at the waterline. Beyond that, we all enter the food chain, and not always right at the top.

Vasco DG

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 02:17:31 PM »
Sport cam is virtually identical to the P3/B10. I'd be spending money on suspension.

Pete

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2015, 02:17:31 PM »

kidneb

« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2015, 03:30:15 PM »
I gotta ask: What's a "side plate" on a Spot?

Todd.

When I read the OPs post, the only thing I can find that resembles "side plate" is the "slide plate" that went "om nom nom into the cylinder".
Not that I know what it is, but it sure sounds scary ! :o

Vasco DG

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2015, 03:42:16 PM »
Once the slides wear they will eventually snap off the leading edge of the slide. Pod filters don't help.

Pete

Offline guzziboy66

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: January 13, 2015, 04:02:25 PM »
Ooooh.  The slide plate in the carb broke and was sucked into the engine.  Ouch!
The younger (slightly) Eric in NJ
Frenchtown, NJ

'14 GRiSO 1200 8V SE (I got her back!)
'14 Norge 1200 8V GT
'97 SPoRT 1100 (My first Guzzi has come home to me)
'98 Ducati 900 SS FE
'96 Sport 1100 Carbi (Gone but still in the family)

Offline Murray

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: January 13, 2015, 04:11:56 PM »
Sport cam is virtually identical to the P3/B10. I'd be spending money on suspension.

Pete

We've already had a pretty good go at the suspension short of doing a complete fork swap and trying to fit some lighter wheels. I am aware of Mike Riches services but I'm trying to keep parts of my bike less well traveled than I am.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2015, 04:13:03 PM by Murray »

Offline jacksonracingcomau

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: January 13, 2015, 08:46:31 PM »
Once the slides wear they will eventually snap off the leading edge of the slide. Pod filters don't help.

Pete

Kinda the opposite IME, saw it once or twice on LM 1/2 with unfiltered "bird catchers" but even then you'd have to have criminal neglect to actually keep riding with slide that worn.
Pod (unifilter foam) filters work well, I've used them for over 20 years on my own bike, I do change slides with atomizers and needles maybe every 50K miles, usually cos I can tell by fuel consumption that they're due but like new tyres, bike suddenly back to perfect running.
Only ever a slight ridge on slide you can just feel with fingernail. in the bin for that

So Murray
Just fix what's worn, with new slides, needles and atomisers it will be like new, you'll wonder how you rode it like that.
They are a maintenance item, yours should have gone in the bin years ago,

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here