Author Topic: Fuel Sensor Gasket Size  (Read 370 times)

Offline lad

• Hatchling
Fuel Sensor Gasket Size
« on: February 15, 2021, 07:31:08 AM »
Anyone know the size of the gasket for the 1100i cali, '00?

https://www.stein-dinse.biz/product_info.php?products_id=156875

Mine seems to have been tampered with, there's one that's degraded, which might have been a second one, because there's already a flat one in the the nut, are there two?

There's PTFE tape on the tank threads too, and the bolt doesn't tighten fully, so maybe that's why that's there.

Unfortunate. Might be better to seal on a locknut, but could still do with that gasket

Also the wire on the sensor is broken so I'll have to solder it.

Triple bummer
'96 1100i

Offline Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
Re: Fuel Sensor Gasket Size
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2021, 07:53:30 AM »
A 2000? The Cali 1100i ended in 1997. In 1998 it became an EV. Not a big deal, but the fuel level sensor did change.

It should be a 'double threaded' nut. As in, you hold the sensor from turning, and as you turn the nut, it tightens onto the sensor and the tank at the same time, compressing the gasket in the middle. Putting the nut on the sensor, then screwing them both into the tank at the same time, may not compress the gasket properly.
Putting tape on the threads may make you feel good, but it is not the right thing to do.

It is not unheard of for the tank to leak at the fitting, or for the sensor itself to leak.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Offline lad

• Hatchling
Re: Fuel Sensor Gasket Size
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2021, 04:29:23 AM »
A 2000? The Cali 1100i ended in 1997. In 1998 it became an EV. Not a big deal, but the fuel level sensor did change.

It should be a 'double threaded' nut. As in, you hold the sensor from turning, and as you turn the nut, it tightens onto the sensor and the tank at the same time, compressing the gasket in the middle. Putting the nut on the sensor, then screwing them both into the tank at the same time, may not compress the gasket properly.
Putting tape on the threads may make you feel good, but it is not the right thing to do.

It is not unheard of for the tank to leak at the fitting, or for the sensor itself to leak.

Thanks Wayne, I'd say that nut confuses people and someone stripped the tank threads because of it, hence the tape and extra washer. Should've left it alone because it wasn't leaking!
'96 1100i

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here