Author Topic: What clutch/flywheel do I have?  (Read 1103 times)

Offline Semitone

• New Egg
What clutch/flywheel do I have?
« on: April 05, 2021, 10:58:52 PM »
Evening folks. I've torn down my 1975 850T and, although I was told that the bike had a lightened flywheel, it looks like the entire flywheel/clutch assembly is not stock. Does anybody recognize this set up? It is a single disc/pressure plate design. I though maybe it came off of a v7 or maybe other 850s from that time, but I can't seem to find out what it is. Many thanks. -P

Paul
'75 850T
'73 Norton Commando 850
'65 Honda CB160
'70 Honda CB350
'65 Suzuki K11

Offline Rick4003

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: What clutch/flywheel do I have?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2021, 12:36:20 AM »
It looks like the RAM single disk flywheel/clutch. Although I have never seen one in person and all the pictures online shows them with the ringgear attached. I did find one picture from the back and that looks almost identical to the one you have.

-Ulrik
Moto Guzzi 850 T5 (850 sport) - 1985
Moto Guzzi Ambassador - 1967
Yamaha FZR 600 - 1996 - SOLD

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2021, 12:59:18 AM »
Evening folks. I've torn down my 1975 850T and, although I was told that the bike had a lightened flywheel, it looks like the entire flywheel/clutch assembly is not stock. Does anybody recognize this set up? It is a single disc/pressure plate design. I though maybe it came off of a v7 or maybe other 850s from that time, but I can't seem to find out what it is. Many thanks. -P

Its a RAM unit. I have one fitted to my bike.
Ciao
« Last Edit: April 06, 2021, 01:04:06 AM by lucky phil »
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Offline Semitone

• New Egg
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 09:10:38 AM »
It looks like the RAM single disk flywheel/clutch. Although I have never seen one in person and all the pictures online shows them with the ringgear attached. I did find one picture from the back and that looks almost identical to the one you have.

-Ulrik

Hi Ulrik. The ring gear has been removed in my pics. Someone else also thinks it’s a RAM. Thanks for your input. Paul
Paul
'75 850T
'73 Norton Commando 850
'65 Honda CB160
'70 Honda CB350
'65 Suzuki K11

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2021, 09:10:38 AM »

Online jhem68

• Hatchling
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2021, 09:59:43 AM »
  Yep, this is a RAM that just got installed last week, sure looks to be the same thing.

Offline John A

• Gaggle Hero
  • No way to slow down...
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2021, 11:30:29 AM »
Ram clutches are not known for good longevity. Make sure you give it free play at the lever. I got one to last 15K by doing so. It disengages better with almost no free play. I ended up modifying the clutch lever perch to space the lever away from the bar about 10 mm. I did this by fabricating a half moon spacer to fit under the perch clamp. The fit has to be reasonably precise or the clamp will break.(don’t ask how I know). That way I could give it free play and have good release. I liked the extra throw at the lever so well I’ve left it on even after I went back to a standard clutch. Only works on split perches of course. Brembo used to make a spacer but good luck finding one, I’ve only seen pictures. It was for spacing the master cylinder away from the bar to resolve clearance issues on some Guzzis , I think the handle bar had a flattened section that caused an issue.
John
MGNOC L-471
It is easier to fool people than it is to convince them that they have been fooled-Mark Twain
99 Bassa, sidecar
02 Stone
84 V65C
15 F3S Spyder

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2021, 12:49:06 PM »
^ God lord , now that's an understatement ( concerning longevity ) . My first one required 2 adjustments just to get to work alone and within
400 km was almost out of any adjustment . Took it out and was sent another from MG cycle . Took almost twice as long to run out of
any adjustment . Took the piece of crap out of the bike for 3 years until I found a truck clutch rebuild service in Surrey, B.C . Cost me $180.00
to have him make and install the friction material , best thing I ever did . Have over 10k kilometers on it and no adjustments necessary and
it works a treat ! Peter

Offline Semitone

• New Egg
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2021, 08:52:53 AM »
Thanks for the comments all. So at first I was excited when I learned I had a RAM clutch and did some initial research on them and read some positive reviews on performance, but as I dig deeper I’m reading of longevity issues as stated in this post. I have maybe put a 1000 miles on this bike since it came into my possession and have not had to adjust clutch, but do not know how many total miles are on it. Wondering if I should keep it or replace it now that I’ve got the motor torn down? -paul
Paul
'75 850T
'73 Norton Commando 850
'65 Honda CB160
'70 Honda CB350
'65 Suzuki K11

jwinwi

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2021, 09:00:14 AM »
I have no personal experience with the RAM clutch but I do know that Eric Trosper uses one in his V7 Sport-based AHRMA racing sidecar rig; it does not live an easy life but has been very durable. MG Cycle also used one in their 850LM racer years ago. I'm also well aware of its reputation for wearing out quickly in street Guzzi but can't help wondering if that's due to cable freeplay adjustment. You may want to email or talk to Gordon at MG Cycle.  :popcorn:

Offline moto-uno

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2021, 09:23:33 AM »
 ^ :laugh: , The cable free play remarks are completely missing the point . They exist because of the rapid
wear of the original friction plates , if the history of replacements plates have been followed , one would
accept that the factory certainly knows about it . (And yes they've been updated at least 3 times that I noticed).
The newest may be much better , but it sure costs too much . Glad I had mine relined 'cuz they are nice
when operating correctly .   Peter

Online acguzzi

• Gosling
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2021, 11:13:29 AM »
I use that clutch in my Guzzi, they do have newer plates with fancy material, but I obviously have no idea how it works for a road bike since mine is race only, can't say I've had any issues with it though.

Offline Semitone

• New Egg
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2021, 07:27:45 PM »
I use that clutch in my Guzzi, they do have newer plates with fancy material, but I obviously have no idea how it works for a road bike since mine is race only, can't say I've had any issues with it though.

Maybe I’ll see if I can’t get an updated disk before I throw it back together. Tnx
Paul
'75 850T
'73 Norton Commando 850
'65 Honda CB160
'70 Honda CB350
'65 Suzuki K11

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here