Author Topic: I bought a Ural  (Read 2216 times)

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • 73 Eldo, 98 V 11 ,12 Ural Gear Up, 76 Convert,
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
I bought a Ural
« on: April 08, 2021, 03:36:34 PM »
Hello Folks, I have been interested in a Ural for years, and a good deal on a very gently used , one of the last carburated units with 2 wd came up for sale in Arizona, and I could not resist. I have been spending the last 3 weeks going through it all, and sorting it out, like I always do when I get a new(used) bike. A couple of things I have found out.This machine makes my Eldorado feel like a Goldwing, but its super easy so far to wrench on, valve adjustments are very much Guzzi like, and lubricant changes, and basic maintenance like spline lubing is very straight forward as well.
  Its slow, and agricultural, and seems overbuilt. I think its gonna get along with the  Guzzis in my garage just fine, so far they are still in the "butt sniffing" stage! :grin:
Rick.

"You meet the most interesting people on a Guzzi"

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
Re: I bought a Ural
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2021, 04:35:30 PM »
I think they are cool bikes, especially with a sidecar attached. I would think they could be limited to some applications and perfectly suited for others. Maybe perfect for around town riding with a K9 Pal or evening cruises around the country side. However, I don’t want to have much of an opinion having never owned or ridden one but I would think it may be a little lacking as a cross country touring machine that had to go 500 mile days on the slab at 70+ mph. This is simply a thought with no experienced backing and would be a great topic to explore.

Online n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2021, 05:31:45 PM »
Not the machine for 70 mph rides anywhere.
But I found all the suitable roads between Massachusetts and Florida and have made the run 3 times. Also been up through bit of Canada and around the Rio eastern Great Lakes. Etc....

Can't be beat as a camping base. You bring the big tent and heater, small table, stove, any clothes you want and pretty much anything else you figure would make it more comfortable.

You cruise all day at 55. Pull over wherever you choose. Don't have to worry about 2 wheels and a sidestand. Road construction, just smile and cruise through. Finally park wherever you want on your campsite. Don't have to worry about pushing backwards or an awkward turn to exit in the morning. Just reverse and go.

Oh! Snow, frozen lakes and other winter stuff aren't reasons to end your trip or season. Wet metal grate bridges, no problems.

Bought the rig for my winter commute. (Stopped using cars). Hated it for the first 1,000 miles. Have loved it for the next 53,000 miles.

It gets on well with the two Geese. Each has a condition in which it is the best choice of tools.

And if you aren't used to sidecar you will experience body movement on all axes. Not all the wheels get the same bumps. You rock outboard on turns. You don't roll along, you trundle along. Just relax and enjoy the motion.

« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 05:33:21 PM by n3303j »
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 06:55:32 PM »
Hey Rick, Congrats on the new rig, I think you'll love it  :thumb:

There is a local handicapped rider with a Ural rig who is legendary, he goes out in weather and traffic conditions that I would be afraid to tackle with my car, lol. I think he's convinced a few other riders to make the switch, they are like rolling base camps.

Wishing you many safe miles and smiles
« Last Edit: April 08, 2021, 06:58:34 PM by 80CX100 »
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 06:55:32 PM »

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 07:35:29 PM »
Pretty neat - are parts etc easy to get, like a Guzzi?

Mark

Online n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 07:43:43 PM »

Mark
A lot of parts anywhere from mid '90s up to 2013 are a direct swap. Most upgrades can be retrofitted to the older machines.
Gene Langford at Holopaw Ural is a long time dealer who knows the machines and has a broad spectrum of parts.(Nice old southern gentleman)
Much easier to get Ural parts that fit than it is to get Guzzi parts that fit.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Southeastern corner of Arizona, right next to "Old Mexico, and New Mexico"
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2021, 11:42:51 AM »
Thanks guys for the kind words. What I mostly want this rig for is taking rides out into the desert exploring different trails, and local riding, shopping, etc. I had a high speed sidecar rig, and although it could cruise down the highway effortlessly above 80 mph, it was just not for the kind of riding I use a sidecar rig for.

I think this Hannigan Super Sport/ ST 1300 rig is the polar opposite of the Ural, but I am still enjoying it quite a bit.
Rick.

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2021, 11:46:47 AM »
As far as parts availability, So far everything is easily available. There are a number of well respected Ural dealers in the USA, and I even ordered a deep sump oil pan from the Russian Federation, and received it in one week, with full DHL tracking!
Parts from Russia/ Ukraine are dirt cheap, both new and used. I was surprised that the shipping cost, at least for a medium sized box, was not too expensive.  Its been a whole new learning experience.... :grin:
Rick

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2021, 08:07:28 AM »
CONGRATS bigbikerick!  I always thought the Ural is cool, and very utilitarian.  I was down your way earlier this week.  Stayed at the historic 1936 Valle Verde Ranch in Tubac, AZ.  Also visited the Buenas Airies National Wildlife Preserve. We were "birding and hiking."  Beautiful area just a few miles from the border of Mexico.  Perfect for the Ural! :thumb: :cool: :boozing: :smiley:

Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline TN Mark

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2021, 08:41:13 AM »
Congratulations on the Ural. One of my brothers has had for for about 10 years and loves it. As you've already seen, parts availability and cost are both much better than Piaggio can muster with Moto Guzzi. 

Online SemperVee

• My life will be told in MC people and experiences more than anything else.
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • USMC Retired
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2021, 12:29:51 PM »

Congrats on the Ural.  Wish it were me and I had the space to own one more MC!   Perhaps one day.
2007 MG Norge - Hi Ho Silver! - La Dolce Vita
CalSci Tall Windshield
Heli-Bars
Matris Fork + SAG set
Eibach Rear spring
Salamander HB ends
K&N  filter
StainTune pipe
Metal gas fltr
Givi Rear rack
Givi V46 Box and Rack
Startus Interuptus
Napoleon Mirrors
Grip Puppies

Offline Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2021, 03:28:01 PM »

Mark
Yes Mark.
They bolt them all together at the factory.. :laugh:

Online n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2021, 04:15:24 PM »
Congrats on the Ural.  Wish it were me and I had the space to own one more MC!   Perhaps one day.
With a Ural you need the space to own TWO more motorcycles!
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline Markcarovilli

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2021, 04:53:22 PM »
Huzo - so I need to buy wrenches then  :boozing:

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2021, 04:56:57 PM »
Congrats!  Now you can do this.  River crossing.   :boozing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZxhTjaCmso
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2021, 01:38:51 PM »
CONGRATS bigbikerick!  I always thought the Ural is cool, and very utilitarian.  I was down your way earlier this week.  Stayed at the historic 1936 Valle Verde Ranch in Tubac, AZ.  Also visited the Buenas Airies National Wildlife Preserve. We were "birding and hiking."  Beautiful area just a few miles from the border of Mexico.  Perfect for the Ural! :thumb: :cool: :boozing: :smiley:

Looks like a great trip, JJ.You were in both of my backyards, almost . Tubac( Sahuarita), and Buenos Aires, (Douglas) .Buenos Aires, is where the sandhill cranes are right? There are lots of great roads out here, you are correct, and the Ural is perfect for exploring them. Great pics, BTW!
Rick.

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2021, 01:44:12 PM »
Congrats!  Now you can do this.  River crossing.   :boozing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZxhTjaCmso

That video is absolutely incredible, Tom! I wonder if they modified the intakes with some sort of snorkel setup? At least they did not have to worry about the engines overheating!  :grin:
Rick.

Online n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2021, 01:46:40 PM »
That video is absolutely incredible, Tom! I wonder if they modified the intakes with some sort of snorkel setup? At least they did not have to worry about the engines overheating!  :grin:
Rick.
Snorkels were installed.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2021, 03:35:37 PM »
I ran a couple Urals for over ten years. They are a lot of fun! Use them as they are designed to be used and stay off interstates and it'll be fine. They are also very good at telling you when something is amiss. Listen to it and take care of it and you'll avoid expensive repairs.
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2021, 03:58:35 PM »
Rick.

Y'ep on the snorkels.  I saw on a different vid that a group had snorkels.
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Offline John Ulrich

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2021, 04:57:18 PM »
This machine makes my Eldorado feel like a Goldwing, ............. Its slow, and agricultural.

LMAO!   :grin:     

All you need now is a box for rattlesnakes!
Eagan, MN & Scottsdale, AZ
MN MGNOC Rep  L#800

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2021, 03:25:59 PM »
Funny you should mention, rattlesnakes, John....We  went out exploring some local trails,a couple of days ago, and had to use the Ural Reverse for the first time...There was a pissed off diamondback curled up, and hissing  in the middle of the trail, and would not back down one inch. Wifey was freaking out in the sidecar, yelling out at me " They Can Jump!" " They can Jump!"
  Flipping it into reverse saved the day, as I was able to back up down the gnarly trail we were on, and we continued on our way! :grin:
Rick.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2021, 03:36:17 PM »
They can also swim.  Firearm therapy works.  Followed by bbq.   :thumb:

Online bigbikerrick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2021, 01:13:02 PM »
They can also swim.  Firearm therapy works.  Followed by bbq.   :thumb:

Yes Sir, Absolutely! I usually carry my little Taurus "Judge", for such instances, but momma and I  were riding right along the Mexican border,that day and I usually dont carry when in "No Man's Land" as they call the strip along the international boundary. Next time I go back out there, I will take a few pics to show you folks. Its incredible Sonoran desert scenery! :thumb:
Rick.

Offline Scott of the Sahara

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2021, 01:25:31 PM »
Congrats on the Ural purchase. I am on my 2nd Ural. I have truly enjoyed riding it on the slower roads. My wife will not ever get on the back of the Guzzi but she will ride in the Ural.

Offline JL Rich

• New Egg
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2021, 06:33:50 PM »
I had a skid plate mounted under the bike and the car for bouncing over the rocks in the desert at Kalaber Creations in Prescott.  They are a Ural dealer and provided great service while I was in N. AZ. last winter.  Highly recommend them. 

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #26 on: July 02, 2021, 08:29:18 AM »
There seems to be something going around!  I just picked up this 2012 GU Monday!  Great fun.

20 years ago I purchased a Harley rig so that my wife could have some fun with motorcycles again.  She was wheelchair bound then but I could pick her up and put her in the "chair".  It was fun while it lasted.  The next season she had weakened to the point that she could no longer hold her head up in the sidecar, so I sold it.  An unexpected outcome of that experience was just how much I found myself enjoying a sidecar.  I hadn't anticipated that.   I knew I would eventually have another. 

Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline Tatsudoshi

• New Egg
« Reply #27 on: July 02, 2021, 08:51:35 AM »
Congratulations on your new ride, if there is a Motorcycle that could be called a 4X4 this is it.
Take Care

Offline yogidozer

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2021, 09:09:58 AM »
Dave, sorry to read about your wife, life isn't fair.
Sounds like you made her life as good as you could.

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #29 on: July 02, 2021, 09:35:06 AM »
Dave, sorry to read about your wife, life isn't fair.
Sounds like you made her life as good as you could.

Thank you!  It's hard to believe she has been gone for almost a year and a half.  One regret about her rides in the sidecar back then is that I cannot find a single picture of her in it. 
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here