Author Topic: Burning Norge question.  (Read 951 times)

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
Burning Norge question.
« on: June 06, 2021, 12:10:19 PM »
Short question, Norge owners, have you experienced very high temps almost to point of blistering skin on your right calve? If so what is the fix?

Long explanation, my 07 Norge now has 42,000, I have put on 22,000, Yesterday  I made a short run for breakfast, total time on bike a little over 1 hour ( 1 hour break between 1/2 hour ride ) with  ave speed 65-70, outside temp upper 80-91 F. With in 10 minutes from start I noticed my right calve being unusually hot, I spread my knees out but it didn’t seem to make noticeable change. I wear Aero stitch 2 piece suit, mid cave height insulated leather boots, so I’m somewhat protected from engine heat usually, and in the 22,000 miles I’ve put on this bike I’ve never noticed this before. When we got to restaurant I checked calve very hot and red. On the return ride I immediately experienced the intense heat, the wind speed and direction had not changed, temp had gone to 90-91 F. Very uncomfortable all the way home, my left leg was warm but not that hot, I tend to ride with my heels on the passenger pegs to relieve lower back stresses, when ever I’m on open roads. But despite trying multiple leg foot positions there was no change or relief from the heat. When I got home the right calve was red and raised almost pre blistering. 24 hours later redness has decreased but still noticeable.

The Norge currently has the lowers of the fairing removed, but I’ve ridden it this way for the last 2 years and never experienced this level of heat. Even all day driving across South Dakota in late July with 90 + temps.

So my question is: Is this level of heat just on the right side an indication of something mechanical? it’s not using oil,I don’t see oil leaks and haven’t noticed change in performance.

Any thoughts, similar experiences or suggestions?
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Burning Norge question.
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2021, 12:54:48 PM »
Mine is an ‘07 Norge and I have absolutely no idea what you mean.

Offline Snowman

• New Egg
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2021, 01:35:13 PM »
I have an '09 and do not experience what you are describing. Even in traffic on hot days my legs are not uncomfortable.
2023 Suzuki GSXS1000GT+
2009 Guzzi Norge
1992 BMW R100RS
1985 BMW K100RS Turbo
1986 Suzuki GSXR750
1987 Suzuki GSXR50

Offline BRG-BIRD

• Hatchling
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 08:26:41 AM »
Just rode 500 plus miles in 90+ degree heat and no issue with heat from the Norge

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2021, 08:26:41 AM »

Offline kingoffleece

• SplitWeight(tm) seat covers
  • Gaggle Hero
  • Rated 5 STARS Motorcycle Consumer News
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2021, 08:29:22 AM »
cat plugged partway perhaps?
SplitWeight(tm) seat covers. A King of Fleece LLC product.

Offline Sye

• Gosling
  • Be nice, feel good
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2021, 08:43:07 AM »
You may have excess fuel igniting in the R/H pipe. Have you noticed any drop in your MPG?

Offline guzzi ride

• "One more day I find myself alive Tomorrow maybe go beneath the ground" Garcia/Hunter
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2021, 09:23:14 AM »
I took my lower fairing pieces off once and it seemed to exhaust more heat. Put them back on and never noticed
any excessive heat again.

Offline drdwb

• Gaggle Hero
    • backfeelsgreat.com
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2021, 12:56:50 PM »
Thanks all for responses, I’ve been wondering about the lowers, but at several Guzzi rallies over the years I see a lot of Norge with lowers off. The riders all told me it decreased the side wind effect, and helped decrease heat to the rider, so I took them off couple years ago, and didn’t notice any drastic changes to either, so just left them off.

I’ll be doing crank case to oil pan spacer gasket change , new belt, oil pressure sensor, air filter change, and other maintenance soon so when that’s done I’ll put lowers back on and see if that changes. I hope it does I love this bike and hate to part with it or just ride it in cooler conditions.

I was hoping someone would tell me definitively that the removed lowers were the culprit. Not sure how I could check for a loaded up cat converter, but that might be an option also and give me a reason to swap out the exhaust, which I’ve been trying to convince my wife that I really need, since I got the bike.
07 Norge, 05 Baby Breva, 04 Stone  Touring , 03 EV, 82 650 Maxim 79 XS750 Special 78XS1100 Teraplane side car

Offline PJPR01

• Gaggle Hero
  • Norge, Scura, Griso
« Reply #8 on: June 07, 2021, 02:13:44 PM »
My Norge was running rich on the right side, I pulled the plug and it was a bit more sooty than the left side, as a result, I was getting unburnt fuel thru the exhaust (ended up melting my left hand pannier on the bottom).

Once I opened up the air bleed screw 1.5 turns, my mileage came back, the bike ran properly again with no additional firing of fuel in the exhaust and the plug has been light brown since.

I didn't notice any additional heat on the RHS however...but you might want to check if the exhaust bolts at the manifold have loosened up as well as checking the plug condition to see if it's running rich or lean.

Cheers
Paul R
2021 Honda Goldwing Bagger Manual Cement Gray
2015 Red/Black Griso
2008 Silver Norge
2002 V11 Scura

Offline Nick

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 07, 2021, 02:26:44 PM »

I was hoping someone would tell me definitively that the removed lowers were the culprit.

Yes, the lowers do make a big difference. I take them off for the winter and reinstall them for the summer.

Offline Guzzistaracing

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Norwegian with a love for all Italian
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2021, 02:59:10 PM »
Unknown symptom for me too. Have never noticed any exess heating to my calf. As suggested above, check out the overfueling issue.
Ex.85�suzuki katana
 85`Le Mans 1000
`?? 1100 sport
`51 Ariel KH500
`07 Griso 850, black
`71 Nuovo Falcone civile
`78 BMW R100RS
`98 Centauro
`07 Norge
Current:
`99 Quota
`84 V65

Online Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2021, 11:49:14 AM »
Yes, the lowers do make a big difference. I take them off for the winter and reinstall them for the summer.
Just curious Nick, but do you possible have that in reverse. Every bike I’ve ever owned the lowers were put in place in the winter to all a little heat build up and keep cold air and rain off the fee, legs snd upper body and removed in the warmer weather to keep the motor from over heating???

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here