Author Topic: Pleasantly surprised with my RE Meteor  (Read 1237 times)

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
  • "I'd rather lube a chain than crab a frame."
Pleasantly surprised with my RE Meteor
« on: June 18, 2022, 09:45:07 PM »
I trucked my Meteor 350 to the Royal Road Rally in Pearisburg Va last weekend. Did tent camping at the Royal Enfield event. My brother brought his Heritage Softail. I was afraid the little bike would be a dismal failure in those hills and curves, because frankly it is not a fun bike to run in Oklahoma. I was happy with the bikes ability to maintain enjoyable (legal) speeds on those roads. Nice event. They had  demo bikes for each model they sell in USA,(and they are one of the highest volume dealers at present) and provided lengthy test rides. It's a lovely area. Nice roads in all directions. The same dealership Gearhead Junction puts on Dual Sport rides in the area for those interested. 
2017 Suzuki DR650
2021 Royal Enfield Meteor 350

Offline inditx

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Pleasantly surprised with my RE Meteor
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2022, 10:02:31 PM »
 :thumb:
inditx

This is the day.....

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2022, 10:27:22 PM »
Cool beans!!  I have seen these little RE 350's up close and the fit / finish is excellent, (IMHO), and they would be a great little bike to ride around secondary roads!! :thumb: :bow: :cool: :boozing:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2022, 05:14:34 AM »
because frankly it is not a fun bike to run in Oklahoma.

I get it. The Monza The Kid now has in Wisconsin was the same in Indiana. Straight flat roads are not it's forte.
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2022, 05:14:34 AM »

Offline Iron Cross Junction

• Gosling
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2022, 05:56:14 AM »

Nice looking RE.

Lots of grand back roads down there.

SR 42 is always a nice run almost its whole length, but right out of Pearisburg, SR 61 from Narrows over to Tazewell is a hoot the whole way.

Bill
Bill Hagan

Proud Member of Moto Guzzi's Envy-of-the-Industry Post-Sale R&D Program!

1998 V11 EV [98 EV]
2004 V11 Ballabio, Sold; sigh
2007 Norge [NORJ], Sold; sigh
2010 Griso [GRISO]
2016 Stornello [BEATA]
2017 V7 III [RADOŚĆ]

Online grebmrof

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2022, 07:27:54 AM »
I test rode a 350 Classic at a local dealer that had a visit from the RE truck last week...I thought the bike felt anemic at best, but who knows, maybe on the right roads it might feel better...  I also rode a Himalayan right after the 350 and thought it was clunky and agricultural, although its instrumentation was better than the 350.  This was the 2nd time I've test ridden a Himalayan, the first time I felt really cramped.  But then again, I've gotten older and smaller so this time I thought it fit me better.  Maybe I'm starting to grow into it.
'22 Royal Enfield Int650
'08 Triumph Bonneville T100

Offline guzziart

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2022, 09:31:57 AM »
I test rode a 350 Classic at a local dealer that had a visit from the RE truck last week...I thought the bike felt anemic at best, but who knows, maybe on the right roads it might feel better...  I also rode a Himalayan right after the 350 and thought it was clunky and agricultural, although its instrumentation was better than the 350.  This was the 2nd time I've test ridden a Himalayan, the first time I felt really cramped.  But then again, I've gotten older and smaller so this time I thought it fit me better.  Maybe I'm starting to grow into it.

Hi Tom,

Yeah the RE truck was at Cleveland BMW & RE yesterday.  I rode the Himalayan and agree with you.  I also rode their 650 and think it is every bit as good as anything else made in it's class.

Art
'71 CB350, '72 Eldo, '72 CL350, '81 CB125s, '87 LMIVSE, '91 CT70, '03 V11 Lemans, '08 Wing  ('12 Wee Strom - R.I.P.)

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2022, 06:22:35 PM »
Nice looking RE.

SR 42 is always a nice run almost its whole length, but right out of Pearisburg, SR 61 from Narrows over to Tazewell is a hoot the whole way.

Bill

Very cool.  Just looking at a top map of that area makes me think one could spend a lifetime exploring just a few counties around there.
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2022, 07:15:55 PM »
I attended the Rally as well. It was first class! Great group and very interesting conversation. They fed us like kings! One of the better Rallies like this I have gone to. And the local roads are amazing!
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2022, 08:41:14 PM »
Nice looking RE.

Bill

Here's a shot of some of the routes available during the rally. Some were led by local riders, some were given out via Phone or GPS apps and self explored. 

picture sharing img
2017 Suzuki DR650

Offline wymple

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2022, 11:33:45 AM »
My son called me this morning. He's been looking at the Meteor and is really surprised at it's hefty weight. It's within a few pounds of his V7 and wondered why it's about 80-100 pounds too heavy.
No trees were harmed by the conveyance of this message, but a lot of electrons were seriously disturbed.

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: June 21, 2022, 03:56:44 PM »
I trucked my Meteor 350 to the Royal Road Rally in Pearisburg Va last weekend. Did tent camping at the Royal Enfield event. My brother brought his Heritage Softail. I was afraid the little bike would be a dismal failure in those hills and curves, because frankly it is not a fun bike to run in Oklahoma. I was happy with the bikes ability to maintain enjoyable (legal) speeds on those roads. Nice event. They had  demo bikes for each model they sell in USA,(and they are one of the highest volume dealers at present) and provided lengthy test rides. It's a lovely area. Nice roads in all directions. The same dealership Gearhead Junction puts on Dual Sport rides in the area for those interested. 

I like it.  RE’s bikes are really nicely finished now and seem to be of quality with few issues.  As I understand it, the Meteor is also fantastically efficient which sure is important in these times. 
2020 T120 Bonneville

Online twowheeladdict

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: June 21, 2022, 04:06:32 PM »
 :thumb:

I prefer the look of the classic, but my stable has its quota of low powered bikes.
2022 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2018 V7 III Carbon Dark #0009 of 1921
2018 Road Glide Special
2021 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2017 Suzuki Van Van 200
2009 Harley Davidson Softail Custom

Online SIR REAL ED

• Gaggle Hero
  • uh.... it's personal....
« Reply #13 on: June 21, 2022, 04:46:09 PM »
Here's a shot of some of the routes available during the rally. Some were led by local riders, some were given out via Phone or GPS apps and self explored. 

picture sharing img

I should a SV 650 to a guy from OK.  He flew out to ride it back.  As we pulled down the driveway he looked at the 100'+ Poplars and said "We don't have trees like this back in OK!"

I repiied "Yeah, I understand they get culled every 15 or 20 years out there!"

You pick a magical place to ride, next time you're in the area, give me a call.
"If reading shite on the internet will trigger your head exploding, please wrap your head in Gorilla tape before logging on.  Thanks!!!"

2019 Beta EVO 250
1999 Suzuki DR 650 w/790cc kit
1994, 2001, & 2002 MZ Skorpions
1992 YAMAHA TDM850

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2022, 11:07:14 AM »
I should a SV 650 to a guy from OK.  He flew out to ride it back.  As we pulled down the driveway he looked at the 100'+ Poplars and said "We don't have trees like this back in OK!"

I repiied "Yeah, I understand they get culled every 15 or 20 years out there!"

You pick a magical place to ride, next time you're in the area, give me a call.

It is a beautiful area, and I always feel at home in that region. We were sad to leave, BUT , I went to Pennsylvania and Upstate N.Y. after that, so I had a little more nice scenery before my return to Flatlandia. Thanks for the invite!  :grin:
2017 Suzuki DR650

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2022, 12:32:41 PM »
How many miles on your Meteor now, Shorty? Did it free up and run better as it broke in as many engines do? What kind of mpg are you getting?
Charlie

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2022, 09:53:01 PM »
How many miles on your Meteor now, Shorty? Did it free up and run better as it broke in as many engines do? What kind of mpg are you getting?

Howdy Charlie.  The Meteor is still a baby with 1500 some miles. Last time I topped the tank, it had 68 miles on it, and it took about .75 gallon.   So, 87-90 MPG? That was flatland miles. The engine might rev a little better, but maybe because  I put in a DNA brand freeflow air cleaner and replaced the airbox cover with a venturi bellmouth. It seems to run better up to the top end, which is still the same. I have no mercy on it. I complained to the dealer of poor performance for a 350, and he told me to "change my shift points." The bike came with a 3 year warranty, so I changed the shit out of the shift points, lol. Top speed ever achieved with a favorable wind has been 75 mph. The bike came from the factory with an electronic speed limiter, and I have yet to find anyone in USA able to disable it. You probably heard that the Brazilian R.E. market (all bikes) received a new map (to overcome their poor fuel) and Brazilian Meteors are now capable of 85 mph, which is something I could use in Oklahoma. I'm still waiting to see if R.E. brings out a 650 Meteor. If I lived in Arkansas or Appalachia, the 350 would be a dandy.
2017 Suzuki DR650

Online Antietam Classic Cycle

• Gaggle Hero
  • Happily stuck in the past.
    • Antietam Classic Cycle
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2022, 10:27:11 PM »
Howdy Charlie.  The Meteor is still a baby with 1500 some miles. Last time I topped the tank, it had 68 miles on it, and it took about .75 gallon.   So, 87-90 MPG? That was flatland miles. The engine might rev a little better, but maybe because  I put in a DNA brand freeflow air cleaner and replaced the airbox cover with a venturi bellmouth. It seems to run better up to the top end, which is still the same. I have no mercy on it. I complained to the dealer of poor performance for a 350, and he told me to "change my shift points." The bike came with a 3 year warranty, so I changed the shit out of the shift points, lol. Top speed ever achieved with a favorable wind has been 75 mph. The bike came from the factory with an electronic speed limiter, and I have yet to find anyone in USA able to disable it. You probably heard that the Brazilian R.E. market (all bikes) received a new map (to overcome their poor fuel) and Brazilian Meteors are now capable of 85 mph, which is something I could use in Oklahoma. I'm still waiting to see if R.E. brings out a 650 Meteor. If I lived in Arkansas or Appalachia, the 350 would be a dandy.

That works out to 90 mpg!  :thumb: Thanks for the input.
Charlie

Offline Bpreynolds2

• Gosling
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2022, 04:34:17 PM »
That works out to 90 mpg!  :thumb: Thanks for the input.

That’s what I’m talking about! :boozing: :thumb:
2020 T120 Bonneville

Offline Shorty

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2022, 10:22:01 AM »
Full disclosure:   I filled the tank today after my trip roaming the Appalachian hills at mostly legal speeds, and the result was only 70MPG. So there's a penalty for having fun. Still fairly thrifty.
2017 Suzuki DR650

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here