Author Topic: Fixing up bikes to sell.  (Read 1252 times)

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
Fixing up bikes to sell.
« on: December 04, 2022, 09:51:06 PM »
At the risk of exposing our underbellies, how much fixing up do you do when you decide to sell a bike.  Obviously getting it running is a big value enhancer. But what about small or hard to fix things?

I’m moving to selling my G5 in fits and starts. I’m already three or four thousand dollars upside down, so any time and money into it is pretty much wasted. I tore off the rear end today to replace a pitted rear drive flange.  That will cost me three hours plus gaskets and oil. Just to fix a small rear end oil drip.

Also, there is a dent in the newly painted tank from a garage drop.  It’s not fixable according to my body guy so I’m going to have another tank bead blasted and painted.  This is not as big a deal for me since the current tank was striped and signed by a good friend who passed away recently. The tank is going to go up in the rafters on display.

But why fix things that won’t add value? 
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline 80CX100

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Fixing up bikes to sell.
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2022, 09:57:37 PM »
But why fix things that won’t add value?

We're all different;

I do what's right for the bike,not for the deal.,,,probably also why I don't sell any,lol

:laugh:
« Last Edit: December 04, 2022, 10:15:05 PM by 80CX100 »
2008 California Vintage
2003 V11 Lemans
2007 Griso 1100
1979 G5 & 1980 Lemans CX100
2010 Suzuki DR650 & 1978 SR500

In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act. George Orwell

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2022, 10:03:52 PM »
The few bikes I've sold I told the buyer they were most likely ready to ride cross country and back. I always fixed them to that level because that's how I wanted them to be when I rode them. None were beautiful or perfect. But they all were good. I told the buyer about any minor issues. Making the bikes pretty and perfect were for the next owner. Beauty and perfection are time consuming and expensive. Beauty and perfection get in the way of more riding. Never really profited from any sale. But my cost per mile was in a range I was happy with.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2022, 10:10:27 PM »
It’s a tough call on when you have gone far enough. I have sold a half dozen of my bikes over the years, most everything I could think of was done and in most cases I was upside down on the $$$ side.

What I won’t do again is sell a bike that’s not running 100%, I sold a bike before I had it fully sorted and it resulted in a buyer less than thrilled. I ended up returning money to help the buyer get it sorted, it’s the only time I wish I had not sold a motorcycle.
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2022, 10:10:27 PM »

Online nc43bsa

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2022, 12:10:35 AM »
I'm in the same quandary concerning a Thunderbird I'm considering fixing/selling.

Do I spend a couple of thousand on fixing it, and if I do, do I ultimately keep it or sell it?  Or do I sell it as is, with a list of what I know needs repair?

Hmmmmm.
1990 MilleGT

Offline blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2022, 06:08:59 AM »
For me, it's have it running.  Then disclose what I know (not being a possessed of ESP, I can't know everything) and remind them that they are buying an old bike and it is not perfect.  Being in the legal field, I hand write a contract/bill of sale with the price, date, etc. as well as the point that it is an old bike and that it is "as is" and get their signature.
Take it for what its worth.  Also, never made money on a bike sale if you consider all expenses. 
Blue Guzz

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2022, 06:27:21 AM »
I'll usually pull the wheels and tank and just "go thru it".  Change the Oil, filters, brake fluids, coolant (if equipped).  Pull the Swingarm, shafts, etc.  Brakes & bearing inspections.  Fix whatever shows up.

And, since previously being in two branches of Military service - I clean, detail, and polish everything.  I simply cannot help myself.
 :boozing:

Old Honda or Yamaha motorcycles offer the most pleasant experiences.  They're not as cool as some others, but they're likely parked there dead because of a fuel or minor electrical issue.   

Offline Travlr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: December 05, 2022, 07:19:25 AM »
I don't mind buying a bike that needs work as long it was disclosed up front.  However my experience is that bikes that need work get beat up pretty bad on selling price.  "If one thing is bad how many other things are bad" seem to be the mentality.

Mike
1991 Moto Guzzi LeMans 5
1977 BMW R100S

Offline cliffrod

• Gaggle Hero
  • AC Button II
    • Carolina Sculpture Studio
« Reply #8 on: December 05, 2022, 07:33:01 AM »
I’ve never extensively rebuilt or restored any machine with the expectation of selling it for a profit.  I think spending more to make less is a waste of money and time.  If you’re not looking for profit, just spend what it costs to have fun.

If you’re into it for a profit, realistically look at the percentages (not the dollar amounts) and make your decisions.   Buying for $500 and quickly selling for $1000 is infinitely wiser than buying for $500, spending $5k and struggling to sell it for $6k to net the same $500 return.
1973 V7 Sport  "Now THAT'S a motorcycle!"-  Master Sculptor Giuliano Cecchinelli
1967 V700 Corsa Record
1981 Lemans CX100
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ExX3YmQel_Q
http://carolinasculpturestudio.com/
Carolina Sculpture Studio YuoTube Channel-
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzSYaYdis55gE-vqifz

Offline Ncdan

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2022, 09:20:03 AM »
It’s such a huge blessing to buy a preowned motorcycle from guys like you, essentially for people like me that has very minimal mechanical skills.
Most motorcycle people can tell right off the bat when looking to buy a motorcycle from someone if the seller has taken their time and money to bring the bike being sold to a respectable spec and the buyer will be more apt to give extra money for a bike they feel is ready to hit the road upon purchase, I know I would.
If I were the seller I’d keep a list of everything I did to the bike to make it all it can be, all well as the cost in time and my labor of love.

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2022, 09:57:23 AM »
I make up a small (4x5) log book for each bike. On the inside cover is the date and mileage at acquisition  as well as basic tuneup specs and oil capacities. The book contains every maintenance, repair or improvement performed with a time, date and mileage stamp on the event. It's an aid for this old guy dealing with multiple machines to maintain. It's a nice thing to hand to a buyer as evidence that I was invested in keeping the machine in proper order.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline Kiwi_Roy

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2022, 10:03:03 AM »
I bought a flying Brick once, it had a dead in tank fuel pump,  it was just varnished up from sitting so long, as soon as the pump started rotating it never looked back.
The seller deducted $100 or so from the advertised price because the pump had stopped working working. by the time I got to the bike (in NZ) my Bro Kiwi Kev had the pump fixed, I think he just thumped it on a piece of wood with 12 volts applied.
« Last Edit: December 07, 2022, 12:36:48 AM by Kiwi_Roy »
72 Eldorado
17 V7iii Special
76 Convert
Half a V9 Roamer

Moto Guzzi - making electricians out of riders since March 15 1921

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2022, 10:11:29 AM »
"That will cost me three hours plus gaskets and oil."

You factor in your time as a cost?   :grin: :wink:
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2022, 10:37:04 AM »
It's not a cumulative return for sure. I think there is a cutoff point in what is essential for running and safety (I think that all or mostly comes back) then there is personal preference on things on what the conditions should be, and that hardly ever comes back unless it's something super rare out there, and even then, you'd have to find the right crowd of buyers (not the Guzzi crowd....). A perfect bike is only to the owner, hardly to the buyer.
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline guzziownr

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2022, 11:43:57 AM »
Fixed up and sold:

'00 Jackal -$2,500; '79 V50 Monza -$1,000; '72 Eldorado -$2.500

Purchased and Parted out

'76 T-3 +$600; '79 SP  +$500; '79 SP +$1,000

Small sample size but you get the idea.
If you ever feel like no one pays attention to you, try making a sandwich in front of your dog

Offline n3303j

• Ron Cichowski
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2022, 12:17:49 PM »
I fix them because it's fun and satisfying.
When I sell I'm happy if I get over original purchase price.
I consider the time and materials the cost of my fun.
I've never put less than 20,000 miles on anything I've resold.
So most of the time my loss at sale divided by 20,000 ends up being relatively cheap fun per mile.
'98 MG V11 EV
'96 URAL SPORTSMAN
'77 MG 850T3 FB

Offline egschade

• Gaggle Hero
  • Eric - MGNOC NJ Rep - mgnocnj.forumotion.com
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2022, 12:30:10 PM »
For me it's doing a full maintenance and cleaning (refurbished?) so I know how well the bike runs and what it still needs. I adhere to the 'it's only original once' and keep the bike that way, only replacing somethings that's damaged or worn to an unsafe/useless level. This way I can tell the buyer exactly what they're getting for their money.
The elder Eric in NJ

2020 V85TT Adventure
1985 LeMans 1000
2005 BMW F650GS

Past Guzzis:
V65 SP
V7 III
V50
Griso 1200SE Tenni
Breva 1100
EV Touring

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2022, 12:57:55 PM »
"That will cost me three hours plus gaskets and oil."

You factor in your time as a cost?   :grin: :wink:

Humor noted Blackcat.  I bill my time as an attorney jealously at 450/hour, but lose endless hours in the garage without complaint. I’m not sure how I classify that hour I just spent looking for that rear drive flange I bought last year from MG Cycle and is nowhere to be found.

Offline blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2022, 01:32:22 PM »
Fixed up and sold:

'00 Jackal -$2,500; '79 V50 Monza -$1,000; '72 Eldorado -$2.500

Purchased and Parted out

'76 T-3 +$600; '79 SP  +$500; '79 SP +$1,000

Small sample size but you get the idea.

Jealous, I just buy them and think that I can sell them.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: December 06, 2022, 06:17:13 PM »
Sometimes ya catch the little things before they become bigger things.

and then there's the time that ya misjudged an issue.     :boozing:

« Last Edit: December 06, 2022, 06:22:25 PM by kballowe »

Offline John Croucher

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2022, 09:01:48 AM »
I would do a good detailing of a bike before selling. This makes a big impact to the potential buyer.  Spend a couple of hours with some mineral spirits, various paint brushes to remove grime.  Put a towel under the bike.  I seldom use water and detergent to clean a bike.  I found that soap and water washing still requires detail wiping.  So I just wipe from the start. 

Offline Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2022, 09:39:32 PM »
I tend to sell them cheap if I like the buyer.  Someone told me about WD40 for cleaning up bikes.  A liberal amount on a rag really cleans, degreased and leaves a nice finish.

Offline kballowe

• - Kevin the Great -
  • Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2022, 09:24:43 AM »
This one sat in a barn for ten+ years.  Lots of dust, dry rotted tires, etc etc.  Only 3,xxx miles though.  Luckily, zero rust tank.  Pitted aluminum wheels, but we took tare of that, once removed.  Chrome polish and a buffer wheel on the frame.  The paint was another challenge.

Replaced a few bent -n- dent pieces, added accessories from my "stash", and gave it the usual "once over", polishing as it went.

That's Griot's Show Car wax on everything right there.  Good stuff.   :boozing:

« Last Edit: December 08, 2022, 09:26:55 AM by kballowe »

Offline Phil/TX

• Gosling
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2022, 01:25:20 PM »
Although it’s a labor of love sometimes, for me most of the time it’s for a profit. For the last ten years, I have looked at the local CL, and other adds, for fixer uppers! Most of the time I’m looking for higher dollar older bikes (98 to 2019). These were top line when new, but most have set for several years. I look for the ones inside or under cover, they require less cleaning.
Mostly tires ,cleaning, and oil and chain maintenance. Usually I can make $500 to $2500 per bike. But I’m finished now, because I have kept the profits, and am waiting on my new V100 S, paid in full.😃😃

"You will seldom regret what you have done, but you will always regret what you have not"
2014 V7 Special
20 Guzzi V85TT Coast Guard (super chicken)
23 V100 S Mandello ( wing man)
1973 Puch 175 Enduro
2003 BMW R 1150 RS
1972 R75/5 with sidecar

Offline Petrus Rocks

• Gosling
« Reply #24 on: December 09, 2022, 02:00:01 PM »
I have bought and sold bikes for years.  Started doing it to pay for off road racing.  Sell bikes and quads, buy a new racer and equipment every couple of years.  I almost always make money now because I pay attention to what people want and the typical price the bike's worth.  A clean bike  says a lot to a buyer.  To me, brakes, tires, controls, no significant problems.  If something's wrong with a bike being upfront about it is imperative.  I don't worry about all the cosmetics unless it increases the value.  I have lost money on the way to learning, considered it paying for an education  :bike-037:

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here