Author Topic: Question on 09 griso head bolts  (Read 3804 times)

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
Question on 09 griso head bolts
« on: December 31, 2014, 07:19:26 PM »
Just pulled rocker covers today to check valve lash and inspect for the dreaded mayo, as I rode a few times over Christmas in 40 degree weather. Also with the oc blocked and monitoring oil temps I hoped there would be an improvement. not so. Still the front half of the cover had the yellow smoooze on both sides. Beyond that the gaps were still in spec . One thing that struck me was the difference in the amount of stud protruding above the head nuts. Both top studs were relatively flush with the top of the nuts while the bottom ones varied from an eighth to a quarter of an inch above the nut. Is this because someone did not seat the studs evenly in the block? Should I be concerned about it? It had the cam recall done by the p.o. at a dealer but I wonder if they torqued these down properly. I may at some point decide to pull the camboxes to inspect the followers at which point I could make sure the studs are evenly threaded into the block.  Just curios if this is typical , thanks      Dave

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
Re: Question on 09 griso head bolts
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 09:19:27 PM »
What I found out by doing the studs was that 18ftlbs was too much torque on them and you may not have threads above the nut. I settled w/16ftlbs but bottomed out in hole, then there was 2 threads on top.
The shop I worked at did the 1st one in the US and Regional Tech made up the Tech Bulletin for Guzzi.
"Pray through Carlo & your bike shall be healed"

Vasco DG

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2014, 11:33:18 PM »
Have to say 16 ft/lbs sounds way too low. I'm currently drunk as a skunk in a pub in Narooma after a New Years day lunch with a bunch of mates so don't expect accuracy or logic. I thought that 30 ft/lbs was the figure.

On the height of the studs? They aren't the same. No idea why the differences. Don't care really. They work if they are torqued correctly.

(Hic!)

Pete

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 08:56:24 AM »
Here ya go--

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2015, 08:56:24 AM »

Offline lucian

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2015, 02:30:10 PM »
Thank you kind sirs. Already learned something this year. Guess I'll leave it alone for know, don't want to be the cat curiosity killed.

Vasco DG

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 03:24:11 PM »
OK, my subscription has been updated so I can look at the manuals again ::).

I think Steve's figures are for the studs into the block simply to ensure they seat properly. It's my understanding from the information in the SS below of the relevant page that the nuts themselves when torqued are done in two stages with the final pull-down to 31 ft/lbs.

What think you Steve?

Relevant part of manual for studs into block.

Pete
« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 03:29:00 PM by Vasco DG »

Offline guzzisteve

• Gaggle Hero
  • "Just Ride It"
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 06:59:03 PM »
A lot of work to go through just to make sure the stud is bottomed. I haven't seen one blow apart. Most all the studs I did went in 1-2 revolutions.

How many dealers have not renewed their subscriptions?, Happy New Year Pete

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here