Author Topic: Who owns a Stornello? How do you like it?  (Read 8931 times)

Offline Green1000S

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Who owns a Stornello? How do you like it?
« Reply #30 on: June 19, 2018, 07:13:48 PM »

I've always been curious about that long bag on the one side. Doesn't it make the bike feel unbalanced?

Thats what I thought, I would be riding left hand circles...
Strangely, it affects nothing.

I had a tent, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, two 30oz MRS bottles attached to bags (and filled with gas), long 14mm hex and front wheel wrench strapped to left bag. No issues whatsoever.
Lauri
2014 Green Stelvio NTX
2016 Stornello #101
1972 Bultaco Matador SD
2016 KTM Duke 390
49cc 1921 Guzzi Board Track Racer;-)
1968 Riverside MW 125
1972 Bultaco Matador M82 Six Days
2 Robin's + 1/2 doz other mopeds

Ciao!

Offline Shiftonthefly

• New Egg
« Reply #31 on: June 20, 2018, 05:20:35 PM »
Thats what I thought, I would be riding left hand circles...
Strangely, it affects nothing.

I had a tent, sleeping pad, sleeping bag, two 30oz MRS bottles attached to bags (and filled with gas), long 14mm hex and front wheel wrench strapped to left bag. No issues whatsoever.

Did you get my PM about the bag?

Offline Green1000S

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: June 20, 2018, 06:40:31 PM »
Did you get my PM about the bag?

Yes, I just sent you a PM.
Lauri
2014 Green Stelvio NTX
2016 Stornello #101
1972 Bultaco Matador SD
2016 KTM Duke 390
1968 Riverside MW 125

Ciao!

Offline flat out

• New Egg
« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2018, 07:12:22 AM »
The Stornello is awesome! It's mellow, a pure motorcycle.
Looks cool, sounds good, makes you smile every time you look at it.
t.
2016 Stornello
2019 Ducati Supersport S

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: June 29, 2018, 07:12:22 AM »

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #34 on: July 03, 2018, 08:00:13 PM »

� was tempted by that deal, but couldn't make the drive at that time.  Congress.

I'm probably heading that way to look at and buy this weekend. We will see.....
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,
The Departed: 2017 MGX, 2014 Norge GT, 
In Stasis: 1978 XS750, XS1100SF

Offline Green1000S

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #35 on: July 03, 2018, 08:46:20 PM »

Like Stornello??? On the fence on buying one?
Check my post:  http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=96840.0

Its a wonderful little bike!
Lauri
2014 Green Stelvio NTX
2016 Stornello #101
1972 Bultaco Matador SD
2016 KTM Duke 390
1968 Riverside MW 125

Ciao!

Offline usedtobefast

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #36 on: July 03, 2018, 09:54:30 PM »
If someone if looking for a new Stornello, check out the Moto Guzzi dealer in Maryland.  They are selling them new for $6899, plus some doc fee (around $80-$100), and that's it (if you live in MD I guess they charge you the tax & DMV fees, if outside of MD you pay that in your home state when you register it).

I spoke with them before, they are used to shipping bikes out too.

This is so tempting.   :grin:
2017 V7 iii Racer
2017 Griso
2016 Stornello
2000 Red Quota
Want a black/green 1000S big valve :)

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #37 on: July 17, 2018, 08:41:09 PM »
Put my deposit down today, pick up the bike Saturday. Somebody tell me about 'tubed' tires. Haven't ridden/owned a sub 1000cc bike in 30 years, and can't remember ever owning one with tubes....
Not worrying about the power, I'm looking forward to a lighter bike, and enjoyed riding a friends recently, just thinking ahead regarding tubed tires and spokes, PM etc.

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 08:16:33 AM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231
The Living: 1976 Convert, 2004 Breva 750, 2007 GRiSO, 2008 1200 Sport, 2016 Stornello #742,

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2018, 07:18:25 PM »

Had my first chance to get out and ride yesterday due to family visiting weather and general all-around busyness. After having a blast playing Grandpa all weekend I drop my daughter and Grandson off I came home and hopped on the stornello for a nice hundred and forty mile ride.

It's a very pleasant little bike and I can see myself owning it for many years and really enjoying back roads gravel roads and places I could never take my Norge and GRiSO.

Of course I'm still breaking the motor in so I haven't really revved it past 6k, and even that was a nice slow smooth climb. I'm mostly shifting at 5K under normal or hard acceleration, and no real full throttle just moderate. overall the motor is very pleasant and torquey and you really don't miss the power. There is nothing about the character of the bike that screams go fast go fast but the motor is willing pulls nicely even in Top Gear cruising at 60 miles an hour it has nice pickup and acceleration with no need to downshift.

The chassis is very light and susceptible 2 downshifting where the whole bike kind of twists underneath you if you downshift hard. The suspension is definitely stiff.... we'll see what happens over a couple thousand miles before I think of swapping out anything. I've yet to really push it in corners as I'm still getting acquainted but the bike is very Nimble and responsive and overall very cheerful and pleasant bike to ride and engage. The brakes are more than powerful easy to modulate and the ABS when it does kick in is very unobtrusive.

So overall very positive first experience. I will say that the lack of instrumentation and adjustments and such are a little disappointing. the simple single trip meter and odometer with one button and the temperature or time on the other button is pretty Spartan. I also don't like the way the gauges are set up and the numbers on the tach. The tach should be on the left and the speedometer on the right but it is reversed, and the numbers in the tach  should be single digits not double.  I kept looking at the tachometer and thinking it was the speedometer. My other complaint is that the stock mirrors are too far inboard and I can barely see past my shoulders. I'm going to start researching a mirror that has some farther reach out on the sides. In the end, these are relatively minor complaints the bike is beautiful fit and finish is excellent and I'm super happy with the price. I added the small motoguzzi rack on the back and it fits the tail bag from the GRiSO perfectly. Just need to get a small givi tank bag and I'm good to go for 99 % of what I'll be doing with it. Maybe someday I'll add a larger windscreen and some serious luggage, but for now I don't think so.

I was out till well after dark and the headlight is fairly decent with good throwing distance on the high beams especially.

In the end there's no way that it would or could ever be the only motorcycle I own, or replace the Norge or GRiSO but it's definitely a fun addition. maybe it's just me but the whole character and demeanor of the bike seem to be begging for a sidecar...
MGNOC#23231

pete roper

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2018, 08:07:34 PM »
Don't baby it. Load it up with full throttle pulls in one higher gear than you think makes sense from time to time or the rings won't bed and it will always drink oil.

Pete

Offline redhawk47

• Gaggle Mentor
  • Traveler
« Reply #40 on: July 30, 2018, 11:23:43 PM »
Regarding the mirrors: I put a pair of Aprilla Caponord mirrors on my V7II Stone. Same design as the OEM but the stem is about two inches longer. AF1 probably sells them.
That helped, but then I went one step further - mirror extenders, but not ordinary ones which typically have more vibration.
I went with these - pricy, but probably worth it: https://motomanufacturing.com/shop/
They had a anti-vibration system, plus you can lock up your gear.

Dan
Dan
2021 V85TT Centenario, 2016 V7II Stone, CSC TT250, Gone:KLR, CSC RX3,

Offline dave1068

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #41 on: April 28, 2019, 03:15:34 PM »
Anyone have any issues with it taking a few seconds to recover from a clutch slipping?
Dave
-2020 Moto Guzzi V85tt travel

Offline Jsaine

• New Egg
« Reply #42 on: November 16, 2020, 01:20:00 PM »
I just bought (Aug 2020, now Nov 2020) an almost new Stornello.  138 miles on it.  Although 4 years old, still hadn't had its second tank of gas yet.
I love it.  I haven't taken it on dirt yet.  She's still too pretty to get dirty.  But for around town and day trips, the bike is great.  Longest trips so far have been 120 miles from my home in California's Sacramento Valley to Donner Pass.  Other than lack of storage, the bike is great.  Was great in the curves and more than adequate power on the straight highways.
The other bikes in my garage are a 2007 BMW r1200 GSA for touring and a Suzuki DRZ400 for the dirt.  The Guzzi fits right into the middle perfectly.
Downsides (in the 700 miles I've put on the bike):  Seems stiff on old patchwork pavement roads.  Doesn't absorb the bumps well.  Maybe someone can give me advice about shock settings.  Is pretty quick in the first three gears, but you could brew and drink a cup of coffee getting it from 90 to 100 mph, but she will do 100.  Compared to my GS, you really notice the wind at high speeds, but that should be expected on any naked bike.  The turning radius (all the way left to all the way right) seems smaller than on my others bikes.  Maybe I'm spoiled by my BMW, but I wish the electronics offered more. 
My usual MPG so far as been around 48, but on the return from Donner Pass (almost all downhill) I got 58.
My questions for the forum:  What are suggestions on which options to get first (luggage rack seems like a likely one), I've been using regular (87) fuel.  Seems fine but is that what I should be using?, anybody put a top box on top of their rack, if so, which one?

Thanks for the help.  And again, this is a fantastic bike that fits in my "local" bike requirements perfectly.

Jeff

Offline GuzzistiDan

• New Egg
« Reply #43 on: April 14, 2021, 05:03:18 PM »
I've got both the large OEM rack and the OEM side racks and they work fine together.

Hi BoatDoc, I know this is an old comment, but do you have both side racks fitted... Left and Right with the Arrow pipes?  If so, any chance of some pictures of how you did it, especially the mounting?  I've just bought a Stornello but there's still no full luggage capacity commercially available so I was thinking about getting the H&B tail and side rack sets, then getting someone handy with a welder to adjust the right hand rack.

Any other advice welcome

Offline Sykestone8886

• Gosling
« Reply #44 on: April 14, 2021, 07:22:08 PM »
I bought mine new in 2018 from xtreme in MD.     6800 plus 100 doc fee. 16,000 trouble free miles so far the bike is a real blast to ride. I’ve done some long trips but after 300- 400 miles I’m starting to hurt, had the seat redone helped some, bought an air hawk helped a little more.The suspension is adequate at best. We have a lot of hard packed fires roads here and it handles them quite well, probably one of the most fun I’ve had on a motorcycle in a long time. I’d hate to get rid of it but I’m planning on purchasing a v85 and I’ll have to let it go. Most Of the guys I ride with are all going to adventure bikes and I’d like the improved suspension plus the other options it offers. That being said I would not pursuade you from buying one. They are fun bikes.
54HDFL  73HDFLH. 85HDFLT. 73suzukiTS 250 76hHONDA cb360

Offline BoatDoc

• New Egg
« Reply #45 on: April 15, 2021, 06:49:32 PM »
Hi GuzzistiDan,

Great to hear you like your Stornello! Mine is my favorite of all the bikes I've owned. Last Saturday's ride with my wife (she has a 650 single dual-sport) was supposed to be all-pavement but then she saw a trail and off we went! It was rocky, muddy, sandy and quite entertaining!

I will post a pic that shows my luggage system fairly well. All the parts came from McMaster-Carr. No issues so far with about 15K miles on them. A key thing though is that I use soft bags and designed the system so the right one only acts as spreader and the majority of the weight is on the seat.

I use Wolfman rolltop bags which work great.
Good luck!

Offline Bulldog9

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2021, 10:41:02 PM »
3 Years and almost 7K miles later,(I know low miles but I do have 4 bikes lol) I am loving my Stornello. Many mods and upgrades to be more "TT" including 420mm rear shocks, heavier fork springs, hand guards, grip heaters, custom windscreen, and a bunch of other little stuff, I find it a fun, spunky versatile bike. Just replaced my tires and ready for exploring this spring.

I have the original tank, but did paint the side covers to match the yellow. I also have racer side covers with red stripes to match the stock tank. Takes 10 minutes to change over. All mods other than extra rear brake/tail light are easily removed.

« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 08:40:45 AM by Bulldog9 »
MGNOC#23231

Online blu guzz

• Gaggle Hero
  • Loves to ride
« Reply #47 on: April 17, 2021, 06:59:37 AM »
Dog:

Your bike looks like real fun on 2 wheels.  It reminds me of the first BMW G/S bikes in its simple, all business ook.  No extra hoses going all over the place, no giant tank, no radiator.  Just simple 2 wheel fun.  Way to go.
Blue Guzz

Offline Off @ 90

• Heron Head Heretic.
  • New Egg
« Reply #48 on: April 17, 2021, 04:46:38 PM »
My Stornello had a V96 map installed and was very cold blooded .Installed Beetles map made huge difference now 30 sec warm up ride away . I like the arrow 2:1  SS exhaust no rusting headers  and lighter . The suspension is the only thing  that lets it down but can be improved . Found the fork springs way too soft and I am 80 kg . Made some 10 mm spacers and 10 wt oil much improved . The V85 was out of my price range but the new V7 850 is definitely a step up from the 750 range would tempt me in the future . But happy with the  Stornello for now suits the roads here and the odd 4wd goat track .
Duncan

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here