Author Topic: 79 G5 Build  (Read 11942 times)

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
79 G5 Build
« on: February 22, 2020, 06:52:37 AM »
First post for my G5 Build. I’m a new member and will be asking many questions.  I bought this G5 a little unwillingly about a year ago:

The original owner kept it in a shed unridden since 1987 and it was pretty rusty with about 17000 miles. I bought it for $200.00 and stuck it in my storage unit until I recently finished a Norton Commando restoration, which was my first full retro where I did all the work ( other than paint and head work) myself:

I tore the Guzzi apart over the past three weeks:

Now the aluminum is at the vapor honer and all of the frame and steel parts have been blasted and are getting a light prime coat. The crank, rods, pistons, cylinders, heads and gears look great.  My plan is to mock-up the build in prime, sort tank and seat, battery and regulator etc. placement, de-tab unnecessary frame parts and then disassemble, paint the steel and re-assemble.  I’ve bought a Motogadget m-blue for electrics.

While finishing the Norton I got hooked on images of round case custom builds.  I just love the frames, wheels and engines.  But already owning some stock standard style bikes I want to try more of a cruiser. I’ve got a set of floorboard frame rails with boards and several fuel tanks ( Lemans III, Honda CB450 and 360 and the G5).  I’d like to keep the frame seat mounts stock to maintain flexibility, may use a solo seat and bread loaf pillion.  I have in mind a mild custom version of a Dover White BMW /2 which sounds strange, but that is where I am now.  Also I’m going to weld in side car mounts before painting the frame.

My real problem is that right now I don’t have a solid vision, only ideas.  I’ve found a lot of gorgeous round case builds on line but most are cafe bikes or restorations.  Hopefully I can find a look that works.

This all sounds ambitious, but I’ve found the Guzzi a dream to work on after the Norton.  The Guzzi is all metric and is built like a tank.  Assemblies make sense and fit well.  The engine is as gorgeous as the Norton but in a different way.

I’ll keep posting and asking.  Thanks everyone for watching. Ben
Ben Zehnder - Orleans, MA USA

Offline ozarquebus

• Grand Canyon Pack Rat
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Riding since 1979
Re: 79 G5 Build
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2020, 11:16:31 AM »
Very good. I will be following since I have G5 project too.
John

V1000 G5 (ex-cop impersonator)
 Convert Hangar Queen

Offline Groover

• Gaggle Hero
  • If it ain't broke, I'll break it.
    • Scooteropolis
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2020, 02:53:17 PM »
Watching this as well. Huge fan of the G5 models. Looking forward in seeing the development. Good luck, and thanks for making a build thread.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2020, 03:34:54 PM by Groover »
1981 Moto Guzzi V1000G5
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, a
1987 Moto Guzzi LM1000SE, b
1980 Piaggio Vespa P200E
1980 Piaggio Vespa P125X
1980 Vespa Grande Moped
1980 Vespa SI Moped
http://scooteropolis.com/

Offline Rick4003

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 02:12:22 AM »
+1 on thanks for the build thread!

I think if you are planning to actually use the bike you will be happy for not going the café racer route. I started mine out as a café racer with clip-ons and all the stuff, but it was unbearable to ride for very long. The footrest was just way too high in combination with the clip-ons. I changed my clip-ons to a proper handlebar and I have to say that other than being a lot more comfortable, the bike actually rides a lot better with the new riding position.

The café racers do look really cool, but unless you are planning to full on race it all the time, then you will have a much more useful motorcycle with a more upright seating position. And just because you have a more upright seating position doesn't mean that you can't make all the cool engine mods too :)

-Ulrik
Moto Guzzi 850 T5 (850 sport) - 1985
Moto Guzzi Ambassador - 1967
Yamaha FZR 600 - 1996 - SOLD

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2020, 02:12:22 AM »

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2020, 08:52:19 PM »
Thanks for the encouragement all - thanks Ulrik for saying what I think I think.  My 71 BMW /5 has perfect riding position as a standard with moderate pull back bars.  I had a ‘68 /2 with a solo saddle and bread loaf pillion that also looked and felt just right.  I’m just not sure I can get that look right on a tonti frame.  Steel parts are blasted and primed.  I’ll post a photo as soon as photobucket gets back on line. Ben

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2020, 09:20:00 PM »
Status update. Picked up the steel parts in primer tonight:

Offline Antiquar

• Hatchling
  • 22 V85TT, 76 850T3, 79 G5
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2020, 10:01:02 PM »
Looking really good! Remembering my own G5 project from a few years ago fondly.

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2020, 09:38:23 PM »
I need feedback. Here are some tank options:

I like the third one best. It is a CB360 tank.  It shows the frame rails best and seems like it will keep the build looking lithe. Here it is with a Dime City seat frame and padding, and an older sportster repro fender:

Does it work?  Is the seat gap to the tank a problem?  If I go with this tank I’ll need to fill the badge mounts and weld in new petcock mounts, and I’d like to replace the fill with a flush mount.  Keep the battery area open or install v7sport type triangular side covers?  Exposure of the frame is paramount but I feel that the see-through middle is a little done.  Thanks - Ben

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2020, 10:55:38 PM »
Finally had some time to work on the bike today. I cleaned up and checked the gearbox assemblies.  Everything looks good:

I also removed the  brake disks, tires and tubes and stripped the wheels:

On to the front wheel tomorrow.

Offline Calijackalbob

• Hatchling
  • The BEST looking Jackal in Singapore.
    • ZDK Elite Karate & Kickboxing
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2020, 04:09:22 AM »
Wow! You are ambitious. I would be too chicken to attempt such a huge job.
Good luck with it. Hope your wallet matches your enthusiasm.
The Norton looks great. Im sure the G5 will too.
Personally I would keep the bike stock. There are precious few original Guzzis of the era left. And many that are have been butchered into cafe racers which probably has only devalued them,.... but its your bike. Do what you will. I see where youre going with it. I agree the cb tank looks good and will accentuate the engine, being so small, and the solo seat will make it look really retro, probably 20 years or so older than the G5.
Id suggest filling the tank badge brackets and fitting adhesive V7 badges. Then you have the freedom to put them where they look best. They come in various colours, so you can match the paint job. Check them out....[/url]

[/img]
You might also choose just the eagle logo and not the name,, which will give the bike a bit more mystery.....

best free online forum hosting

Anyhow, best of luck with the bike. Keep posting pics!

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2020, 08:13:38 AM »
Thanks for the badge ideas. I like the gold eagles a lot.

I’m not doing a restoration because every surface and part of the bike is rusty from being stored in an outside shed.  I would have to source too many parts.  That and I think the tonti frame and round barrel engine are so pretty and I want to show them off.  I could probably get away with not stripping the engine, gearbox and wheels, but I like the look of vapor honing, and full disassembly is essential. I also enjoy riding older bikes more when I know and trust every system.

Plus I’ve never built a semi custom bike and want to see if I can do it. It’s less of a straight assembly and more cognitive. There’s a lack of custom non-Café Guzzis on the net so I’m having to cross marques to get ideas.  Every problem, from wiring to tank selection to exhaust is new and exciting.  Rather than trying to get it “correct” I can try to get it “clean.”  Sounds a little overthought I know.

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2020, 10:27:36 PM »
More progress:

I had to put the parts together without the internals to see what it looked like:

Offline Rick4003

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2020, 02:15:19 PM »
Looks very nice, dry glass blasted?
Moto Guzzi 850 T5 (850 sport) - 1985
Moto Guzzi Ambassador - 1967
Yamaha FZR 600 - 1996 - SOLD

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2020, 06:33:17 PM »
Thanks Rick. All aluminum parts were vapor honed. I’m lucky to have someone here in town that will do it very quickly for reasonable rates. I usually just wipe the parts down periodically with ACF-50 and they hold a good finish.

We had a gorgeous weekend here so I spent it in the garage.  After ruining one rear main bearing by installing it slightly cocked (and then having to helicoil one of the mounting holes in the case) I took my time with the second.  Crank, rods, timing gear, sump, pistons and cylinders are now installed:

I hope everyone is doing well.

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2020, 11:14:02 PM »
Yesterday I installed the flywheel, set TDC with a dial gauge and checked timing with a degree wheel. The TDC and static timing marks were fine, but the fully advanced marks were 2-3 degrees more advanced than spec.  I filed and painted new marks and cleaned and painted the TDC and static marks.  Today I installed the distributor and ordered new points, plug wires and caps. 

I also shipped the brake disks off to Truedisk in Michigan (Shout out to Tom Tokarz who runs a great shop) for grinding, drilling and painting.  Next up install the clutch, helicoil the gearbox plug holes and reinstall the gears.

I also ordered new tires for mounting after building the wheels.  I had a hard time finding a matching set in stock sizes.  I went with IRC Duros.  I am a fan of Avon Roadriders and Bridgestone BT 45’s for other bikes, but the Duros looked good.  The low price point worries me so I will keep a close eye on them.

Offline Brilig

• New Egg
« Reply #15 on: April 12, 2020, 01:46:47 PM »
Hi Ben, your project is moving quickly and looking good.  I'll be interested to see how it looks with the Honda fuel tank.  Along with the solo seat that will show off that big V-twin.

My project (79 SP 1000) is not moving as quickly because I'm trying to decide how far to take the rebuild this time around.  I have been researching this business about the chrome cylinder linings and when I put a magnet in through the spark plug hole I get a very strong magnetic attraction to my cylinder walls.  This leads me to conclude they are not chrome.  Your engine is the same year as mine so I am wondering what your cylinders are lined with.  I also see a similarity with our engines in that they don't have the fold over tabs to prevent the bolts accidentally backing out on the front main bearing and the bolts holding the timing chain tensioner.  I was thinking of adding them if I go forward with a complete rebuild. You also seem to have confidence in the original chain tensioner.  That's another decision I'm debating weather to go with the big aftermarket tensioner.

Good luck.  The bike is looking great.

Mark

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: April 12, 2020, 05:30:13 PM »
Hi Mark and thanks.  It keeps speeding up then slowing down. I just over torqued a timing cover screw and snapped it off so spent half a day drilling and helicoiling.  One down side to vapor honing is that threads need to be chased carefully. I’m also replacing pretty much all fasteners with stainless and need to make sure that screws and threads fit well.

I didn’t really think out the chain tensioner until after getting the chain and sprockets on. I’ll watch it during break in. The stock setup is not ideal though.  If I had it to do again I would install the spring tensioner.

If I remember, the front main bearing had wave washers on it when I took it apart. I used fresh bolts and reused the washers.

The cylinder liners are iron.  They were well within spec and I just gave them a light honing and new rings.  I’m hoping yours are iron also.

Nest up gearbox assembly and then wheel assembly.  Im thinking of flipping the brakes to the rear of the fork legs.  I’ll post that question.

Best of luck.  I’ll be watching your progress.

Also today I helicoiled the 10mm gearbox shell holes per Guzziology.  Seems like Pretty simple insurance.

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2020, 09:14:56 PM »
Rear wheel assembled and loose laced.

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2020, 06:51:58 AM »
I opened the timing chest up again and installed a spring type cam chain tensioner (Thanks for the nudge Mark). Fitted new stainless cap screws to the sump and timing covers. Assembled the forks with FAC dampers and Wirth springs. Installed new points and condensers. Waiting on clutch pushrod seals so I can keep working to the rear.  Brake disks out to Tom at Truedisk for grinding and drilling.

Offline Brilig

• New Egg
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2020, 12:12:05 PM »
Looking sharp Ben.
Did you decide which way you are going to face the forks?
Only drawback I can see to having your calipers to the rear is that your drain plugs will be on the front.  If it was me, I wouldn't let that stop me from putting the calipers where I wanted them.
Wheels are looking great.  I wish I had spoke wheels.  Maybe my next project!

Mark

Offline ozarquebus

• Grand Canyon Pack Rat
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Riding since 1979
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2020, 06:22:09 PM »
I am doing a timing chain replacement on my G5 and am at the point where the timing cover is being removed, but the engine is still on the bike. Can anyone tell me what the trick is to remove it now that the rotor is removed and the cover is loose? If it is just a matter of brute force, I can do that, but was wondering if there is something holding it place I can't see besides the many bolts.
Does the tachometer cable stay in place as cover is removed? All thew articles and manuals only address this on a removed engine.
John

Convert Hangar Queen

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2020, 07:28:20 PM »
Remove the tach drive as it is engaged with the cam. The oil seal may be a tight fit on the rotor shaft as well. I would gently pull it off. Also make sure you have all of the screws out.

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2020, 07:38:38 PM »
Hi Mark. Neat job with the cam sprocket tool. I don’t have those skills. 

I am going to flip the fork legs.  Waiting for disks to come back ground and drilled by Truedisk.  Also waiting on a front hub so that I can lace and true the wheel and install the carriers and disks.  Gearbox shift drum clearance check is waiting on a shift pawl from Harpers.  Then I can button up the gearbox and install the clutch.  This is the expensive part of a rebuild. I also just agreed on a purchase of a nice Matchless single so I’m hoping I won’t lose focus and will have enough discretionary funds to keep this moving.

What are you doing for exhaust.  I’m thinking either LaFranconi replacements or else gut, blast, shorten, re-core and ceramic coat my old ones. Maybe about six inches shorter just to throw off the traditional look.

Offline ozarquebus

• Grand Canyon Pack Rat
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Riding since 1979
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2020, 08:17:28 PM »
Thank you Ben.
John

Convert Hangar Queen

Online Dave Swanson

• Gaggle Hero
  • Northern Illinois USA
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2020, 06:45:01 AM »
Wow!  This is really turning out nice!  Props to you!
Dave Swanson - Northern IL
1935 GTS
1968 V700
1973 V7 Sport
1974 Eldo
1974 Police Eldo
1976 Convert
1977 Lemans 1.2
1980 T3 California
1993 1000S - Sparklehorse
2004 V11S - Eraldo-ized
2016 Griso SE - Beetle-ized
2021 V7-850 Stone Centenario
2022 V85TT Guardia d'Onore
2023 V100S

MGNOC L-780

Offline Brilig

• New Egg
« Reply #25 on: April 26, 2020, 07:37:37 AM »
I am doing a timing chain replacement on my G5 and am at the point where the timing cover is being removed, but the engine is still on the bike. Can anyone tell me what the trick is to remove it now that the rotor is removed and the cover is loose? If it is just a matter of brute force, I can do that, but was wondering if there is something holding it place I can't see besides the many bolts.
Does the tachometer cable stay in place as cover is removed? All thew articles and manuals only address this on a removed engine.
Did you remember the big bolt that runs across the front of the engine that holds the engine to the frame?  I recently watched a U-TUBE video removing the timing cover on a LeManns.

Offline ozarquebus

• Grand Canyon Pack Rat
  • Gaggle Mentor
  • Riding since 1979
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2020, 12:53:37 PM »
yessir, big bolt came out slickly.
Don't let me hi jack this post.
John

Convert Hangar Queen

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2020, 08:41:00 PM »
No sweat Ozarquebus.  We are all just building one perfect bike together.   Disks came back from Truedisk yesterday.

They went out looking like this:

Turn around time about two weeks. I mailed them on 4/10 got them back 4/26. Total cost for blasting, grinding, drilling, painting and shipping back three disks was just under $350 US.  I highly recommend Tom.

Offline berniebee

• 2020 Board Donor
  • Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2020, 10:58:03 AM »
Nice job! I'm well into an SP1000 project myself and I've just repainted the frame, which appears to be identical to yours. I just noticed that in your primered frame pics, there are a couple of rubber plugs still in place.  Two on each side of the bike. See the pic below.

Online Scout63

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2020, 10:02:58 PM »
Hi Berniebee:

I found the plugs after I got the frame back, as well as the big hole in the center stand where the left tang must have gotten ripped off. I’m mocking everything up in primer so I’ll have a chance to hit the plug areas again.

Stalled waiting for a shift drum pawl to get here from Italy.  My front hub came in from the Netherlands today so I can lace the front hub this weekend.

Best of luck with the SP. Ben

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here