Author Topic: The AMA - a valuable voice or a crooked tool?  (Read 7852 times)

Offline sign216

• Gaggle Hero
    • Guzzi 750s - Breva, Nevada, V7, etc
The AMA - a valuable voice or a crooked tool?
« on: July 04, 2016, 06:30:44 PM »
I was talking w some other cyclists and the AMA (Amer. Motorcyclists Assn.) came up.  I was struck by the negative feelings.  Essentially people thought the AMA was corrupt, Harley-centric, and a poor reflection of the sport.

I belong, but I've never paid attention to it.  Are they right?
09 Guzzi V7C
58 BMW R50
65 Gilera 106
69 Benelli 350

https://groups.io/g/Moto-Guzzi-750

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
Re: The AMA - a valuable voice or a crooked tool?
« Reply #1 on: July 04, 2016, 06:36:39 PM »
I used to feel that way about the AMA but belong to it now.  I don't like the fact the AMA supports riding w/o a helmet but let the idiots that do kill themselves.  If I never voted for a politician that said something I disagreed with then I'd never vote either.  The AMA does a lot of good for us bikers, like fight E15 in our gas, etc.

Offline Idontwantapickle

• Gaggle Hero
  • The rotation of the earth really makes my day.
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2016, 06:45:47 PM »
It's overall a pretty good organization.  The museum works at preserving the history and,  as Wayne pointed out, they try to keep the rules from running over us. I'm not a fan of the efforts to fight helmet laws.  Seems like they could spend that time on other matters but I think it "fires up the base" as they say.
They do three things really.  The museum,  event sanctioning/organizing and lobbying.
I take the last one with a grain of salt but the first two are well worth it.
Hunter
There is no end to what we can do together.
Sir James Paul McCartney

AMA Charter Life Member

72 Eldo
85 LeMans 1000 Loud, Fast and Red
2007 Norge rivestimento di argento
84 BMW R100RS

Online JJ

• Gaggle Hero
  • Life is meant to ENJOY...not "endure."
« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 06:57:12 PM »
They have had their ups and downs over the years, but overall, I think it is a good organization. 

I have been a Life-AMA member for many years...and motorcyclists need a voice in Washington and among the states to further protect our right to RIDE, so in that light, they serve a worthy purpose (IMHO) :thumb: :cool:
Life Member: MGNOC L-772, AMA, HOG
'98 V10 Centauro GT
Village of Oak Creek, AZ

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2016, 06:57:12 PM »

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2016, 07:23:06 PM »
I was a member during my AHRMA days because I had to be but I'm not now. Never really saw much value. I always have 2nd thoughts about an organization that will have me👍
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline nbags

• Hatchling
« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2016, 08:01:33 PM »
i'm a member and i think AMA loves to waste money,they been beating this e15 horse for long time let the big boys fight that battle(GM,Ford,Toyota ) no car company want anything to do with e15,AMA should use budget a little better try to get some roads patched up,make sure that roads are safe for motorcycle use during construction,provide support if an accident occurs with no fault from member,go after texing and driving offender that cause an accident.

oldbike54

« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2016, 08:03:10 PM »
I was a member during my AHRMA days because I had to be but I'm not now. Never really saw much value. I always have 2nd thoughts about an organization that will have me👍

Me too , which does cast doubt on the wonderfullness of this place  :shocked: :grin:

Dusty

Offline Rich A

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2016, 08:13:26 PM »
I've used their towing service twice (for a pickup and a car).

Rich A

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #8 on: July 04, 2016, 08:18:11 PM »
Me too , which does cast doubt on the wonderfullness of this place  :shocked: :grin:

Dusty

If nothing else they have a great towing service for ALL your vehicles,  not just MCs.   Compare that to any other tow service.  :wink:

Offline Guzzistajohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: July 04, 2016, 08:19:22 PM »
I've used their towing service twice (for a pickup and a car).

Rich A

I read that they'll pick you up for a breakdown but not a crash. Kinda kickin' a man when he's down don't you think?
ебать Россию!   Not anti social-pro solitude

Offline wrbix

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: July 04, 2016, 08:23:06 PM »
As an admitted tree-hugger, I've never been in favor of the AMA's agenda of opening all wild public lands to off road motorcycle use, protection of natural resources be damned......and therefore never a member.
Bill in VA, sometimes FL

"Eschew aphorism"

LeMans IV - "Giulia"
Lario - "Giulietta"
V50III cafe'd - "Leggera"
‘77 Convert - “Sofia”
BMW airheads: R100RS, R100CS, R100GS, R100RT, R60/2 sidecar rig
Classic Mini
‘60 Austin Healey Sprite
Caterham Super Seven Sprint
‘13 Audi TTRS
Grumman AA5B (sold)

Offline handyandy

• Gosling
« Reply #11 on: July 04, 2016, 09:07:35 PM »
Y'all forgot how AMA screwed DR John out of business when he was whupping Honda and the ujms buts.

Offline Roebling3

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: July 04, 2016, 10:13:14 PM »
Cripes, I thought for sure, at the time, AMA would step in when hd couldn't win @ Daytona. I'm recalling the flat track rule changes whenever a challenge came from a /British or Japanese bike.  Or (running and ducking), when they managed to get high tariffs on Japanese mc imports to protect the Milwaukee collective, with their development heads secure where the sun doesn't shine. Plus 1 on the helmet and noise thing, btw. I don't believe the AMA have played any roll in the ethanol debacle. Can anyone seriously think the AMA gets consideration when lobbyists for the corn production industry have way more savvy, money and interest in the status quo, - - - or worse. R3~ 

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: July 04, 2016, 11:13:31 PM »
. I don't believe the AMA have played any roll in the ethanol debacle. Can anyone seriously think the AMA gets consideration when lobbyists for the corn production industry have way more savvy, money and interest in the status quo, - - - or worse. R3~

That's because you don't belong to the AMA so don't get any up to date info. on what they are doing in Wash. DC. like us subscribers do.  They are fighting it as best they can.  Auto. mfg.s could care less because they have already made their newer vehicles compliant to E15 use.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2016, 11:20:37 PM by Arizona Wayne »

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: July 04, 2016, 11:15:11 PM »
Y'all forgot how AMA screwed DR John out of business when he was whupping Honda and the ujms buts.

Not familiar with that 1 and how many decades ago was that?

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: July 04, 2016, 11:19:10 PM »
As an admitted tree-hugger, I've never been in favor of the AMA's agenda of opening all wild public lands to off road motorcycle use, protection of natural resources be damned......and therefore never a member.

"AMA's agenda of opening ALL wild public lands to off road MC use"................... .not true............you've been drinking too much Sierra Club kool aid.   :boxing:

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: July 04, 2016, 11:39:09 PM »
I read that they'll pick you up for a breakdown but not a crash. Kinda kickin' a man when he's down don't you think?

Never heard that 1.  So if you hit ice and crash into a tree or a deer jumps out in front of you they will not assist?  I don't believe this.   :rolleyes:

Offline O

• Gosling
  • Don't force it, get a bigger hammer.
« Reply #17 on: July 05, 2016, 09:11:59 AM »

Never heard that 1.  So if you hit ice and crash into a tree or a deer jumps out in front of you they will not assist?  I don't believe this.   :rolleyes:

Believe it or not, that's their policy. They only assist for breakdowns, not accidents.
Owen

2014 V7 Special

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: July 05, 2016, 09:24:13 AM »
I've not seen much value to the AMA. I've been a member on and off, usually for some gimmick, tow service or calendar. 

Like most lobbying groups, they have to generate some type of fear to mobilize membership, whether it's E15, anti helmet laws, or dirt tracking all over the forests and deserts.   I really don't care and think for myself in the first place. 

Luckily I lost a credit card a few years ago and automatic membership went away with the card.  So no AMA, so no cash to a guy in Kansas.

The one thing I like is motorcycle racing.  And this is where the AMA has always dropped the ball.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2016, 11:04:40 AM by LowRyter »
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline sbaker

• Gaggle Hero
  • Piaggio Stock Holder
« Reply #19 on: July 05, 2016, 09:48:09 AM »
Its simple.. If you have an issue that they are involved in, whether for or against, you'll have an opinion. If not, they don't matter to you.. It's really simple.
Sam
Dallas, TX

AGATT

Hey Check out my CD www.cdbaby.com/bakersam

Current
Norge Wing: White Squadron
Ducati 900ss

Previous
Griso Wing: Yellow Squadron (shot down 3/11)
2008 Norge - Red... fastest of the 2V
1975 Convert + Sidecar - Fun
2004 California EV Touring

Offline Spuddy

• Gaggle Hero
  • Best Thing About A Mind Is Being Able To Change It
« Reply #20 on: July 05, 2016, 11:09:42 AM »
I had 18 years of continuous membership before I dropped it.  It had something to do about a "reformer" chairperson who became somewhat of a demigod. The quality of the magazine when down from professional to an amateur newsletter. That was years ago. Don't know what the state of the organization is now.

Spud   
'13 Stelvio NTX
'07 California Vintage
'01 W650
'00 Quota 1100ES + Ural

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #21 on: July 05, 2016, 01:03:25 PM »
Believe it or not, that's their policy. They only assist for breakdowns, not accidents.

Now that I think about it more maybe that's because an ambulance will probably come for you and a tow truck covered by your insurance if you have full coverage.

Online sib

• Gaggle Hero
  • Location: Smallest state, 221 times smaller than Texas, often compared to the size of an oil slick, forest fire, or ice sheet
« Reply #22 on: July 05, 2016, 01:57:26 PM »
My '13 Stone came covered by a 1-year roadside assistance plan.  When that expired I joined AMA only for the roadside assistance.  When I sold the '13 and got my current '16 Stone, again it came with a 1-year roadside assistance plan, so I didn't renew with AMA.  When that year expired I once again joined AMA.  I don't think much of AMA's stances on most things, so I'd like to drop it again but I can't find a competitively priced roadside assistance plan.
Current: 2021 V7 Stone E5
Previous: 2016 V7II Stone
Previous: 2013 V7 Stone
Several decades ago: 1962? Honda CB77 Super Hawk

Offline Sheepdog

• Gaggle Hero
  • 2007 Moto Guzzi California Vintage
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2016, 02:02:15 PM »
The AMA screwed up American Motorcycle racing something awful. The last Class C event I attended had all the pageantry of a small church fair and the rules were skewed so much in HD's favor that the event rivaled professional wrestling for authenticity. Then there is roadracing...the once prestigeous Daytona 200 is now a 600cc Superbike race that serves as a backdrop for Sturgis-like strip shows and burnout contests.

Add in the fact that they have taken to supporting causes at the ridiculous extreme of the sport, and I got to feeling that riders like me were not a priority to the AMA. I had a membership in the past, but no more...
"Change is inevitable. Growth is optional." John C. Maxwell

Offline Arizona Wayne

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2016, 02:23:38 PM »
The AMA screwed up American Motorcycle racing something awful. The last Class C event I attended had all the pageantry of a small church fair and the rules were skewed so much in HD's favor that the event rivaled professional wrestling for authenticity. Then there is roadracing...the once prestigeous Daytona 200 is now a 600cc Superbike race that serves as a backdrop for Sturgis-like strip shows and burnout contests.

Add in the fact that they have taken to supporting causes at the ridiculous extreme of the sport, and I got to feeling that riders like me were not a priority to the AMA. I had a membership in the past, but no more...

The AMA went from superbikes to 600s on the Daytona 200 because racing tires were coming apart and riders were getting hurt and they were afraid possibly some would get killed. In other words, the AMA was concerned about the safety of the riders.

Then the AMA handed over the roadracing to DMG and Bill France COMPLETELY screwed that up being a stock car racing guy.

Now MotoAmerica is under the good hands of Wayne Rainey and road racing is again good with WSBK rules.

Now AMA only operates amateur racing and let's the pros run the professional racing.

Offline Rusnak_322

• Gosling
« Reply #25 on: July 05, 2016, 03:35:02 PM »
AMA sucks.
I had to be a member when I was racing. It got me nothing but the ability to enter races and a crappy magazine.

I hate the no helmet agenda. Don't want to wear a helmet? Fine by me, but I don't want my dues going to lobbying to change those laws. And you cant tell me that insurance isn't more expensive in states that don't require helmets. it is just logical that they would jack them up.

And like others have said - they screwed up roadracing something awful. I loves AMA superbike and Mid-Ohio would get 50,000 people for race day. Now there are more racers then fans.
1975 Moto Guzzi 850T - café racer in progress
2007 Ducati Monster S4Rs

Offline ITSec

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #26 on: July 05, 2016, 03:59:08 PM »
I'm not antagonistic towards the AMA, I just don't see much value in their offerings. As others have noted, they use member funds for some advocacy I can't agree with, and don't work on issues that are important to me (but maybe not to their members). AMA seems too aligned with ABATE / MRF and similar groups; I prefer a balance of rider rights and responsibility that has a bit more weight on the responsibility side of the scale.

If the AMA were to do more to support the MSF approach and less the MRF, I might join again.
ITSecurity
2012 Griso 8v SE - Tenni Green
2013 Stelvio NTX - Copper
2008 Norge GT - Silver

I am but mad north-northwest!
When the wind is southerly, I can tell a hawk from a handsaw...

Offline vf84pc

• Hatchling
« Reply #27 on: July 05, 2016, 06:24:05 PM »
I agree the Datone 200 is now a side show and  racing in the US is considered a joke by  the Europeans. Flat track racing was a huge sport in the 60's and 70's  now the only track near the  North East is Lima Ohio.
I always felt they tilted the rules toward Japanese bimes, but maybe they changed to HD.
The mag was oka but they use the same old line to sighn you up, just like the NRA .With all the money they take I. Why is it no law gets passed or changed? No money In the solution only the problem.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: July 05, 2016, 06:32:49 PM »
They have had their ups and downs over the years, but overall, I think it is a good organization. 

I have been a Life-AMA member for many years...and motorcyclists need a voice in Washington and among the states to further protect our right to RIDE, so in that light, they serve a worthy purpose (IMHO) :thumb: :cool:

I'm sort of the same way.  Besides, if you re-up automatically every year, you get the full breakdown service.   Never had to use it for a bike but have used it 3 times for the junk cars I used to drive .... !   Also good for discounts at a few motels, like AAA and AARP are, neither of which I belong to.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

K250

« Reply #29 on: July 05, 2016, 09:09:17 PM »
I was a member for many years, but over time the AMA has dropped motorcycle activities I was interested in to concentrate on the towing and motel discount business.  In the end, I dropped AMA and jointed AAA because AAA seemed better for that.  Now, I don't carry either - modern motorcycles and cars are so reliable. 

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here