Author Topic: Driveline Clank  (Read 8403 times)

MotoGoosy

Driveline Clank
« on: April 05, 2015, 12:43:33 PM »
Slight clank when taking off in first.  Not dramatic just noticable.  Should I worry?

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
Re: Driveline Clank
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2015, 12:45:18 PM »
Yes.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

MotoGoosy

« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2015, 01:00:08 PM »
O.k., I'm worried.  Not a simple adjustment, I'm sure.

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 01:02:50 PM »
Don't know about a clank but both my T-3 and my Norge Clunk into first gear if done from a dead stop.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2015, 01:02:50 PM »

MotoGoosy

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2015, 01:24:15 PM »
This happens after I shift into first, when I first let out the clutch.  Sounds like slack in the driveshaft splines.

Vasco DG

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2015, 02:05:21 PM »
Dying UJ maybe? Pull the swingarm and have a look.

Pete

Vasco DG

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2015, 02:16:18 PM »
Ah, is this the bloke who's Cali shakes like a cheap sex aid? If so it's definitely time to pull the swingarm.

Pete

MotoGoosy

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2015, 02:17:53 PM »
ugh!!!  Less than 10k miles on the bike.

Vasco DG

« Reply #8 on: April 05, 2015, 02:26:14 PM »
Yes but it's thirteen years old! If it's only done such low mileage it will of spent lots of its life just sitting! Nothing will kill a machine quicker than just sitting doing nothing! Stuff like needle rollers in the UJ trunnions are sealed, quite often with inadequate grease, grease dries out over time especially if just left sitting.

As a precursor to pulling the swingarm you can try loosening the larger of the two jubilee clips that retain the boot between the gearbox an swingarm and peel the boot back. Stick your finger into the UJ housing and rub it around. If it feels all gritty and when you pull yer finger out its covered with metallic shite and bits of needle roller you'll know you've found the problem! Still worth pulling the swingarm anyway though to check the support bearing. Don't do this with the engine running or turn the rear wheel while yer finger's in there!

Pete

MotoGoosy

« Reply #9 on: April 05, 2015, 02:36:28 PM »
Well, I've got 10!!  Just changed the fluid and nothing in it, just dirty.

Offline rocker59

• Global Moderator
  • Gaggle Hero
  • "diplomatico di moto"
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2015, 02:45:42 PM »
Lots of low RPM riding, too, no?

~;
Michael T.
Aux Arcs de Akansea
2004 California EV Touring II
"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." - Theodore Roosevelt

Vasco DG

« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2015, 02:51:06 PM »

The UJ isn't in the gearbox. It isn't lubricated by oil.

Pete

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2015, 02:58:19 PM »

If you changed the u-joint boot oil and it was dirty, yes, you do have a problem.  Maybe more than one.  Don't overfill it.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: April 05, 2015, 03:01:58 PM »
Words escape me..  ;D
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

MotoGoosy

« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2015, 03:04:37 PM »
Shop changed the oil in the final drive unit at the rear wheel.

Offline Aaron D.

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2015, 03:06:42 PM »
U joint ain't there either.

Vasco DG

« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2015, 03:18:32 PM »
Look, with the very greatest of respect I think you are way out of your depth my friend. It seems that your understanding of even the basic componentry of your motorbike is negligible, now that's fine, it's not obligatory to know and understand how something works to operate it but it is necessary if one wants to trouble shoot and fix it.

If the shop that you have been using doesn't have anybody who can identify and fix your problems can I suggest that you ask here for someone in your area to advise you on where a good shop with competent mechanics who know the product is locally. Bear in mind that 'Locally' for some people in the US seems to be several hundred miles!

Pete

Offline delrod

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2015, 03:23:27 PM »
Or you could just ignore all the advice given and do as you please. Everybody knows rotating parts last forever and never give signs of impending failure by vibrating or making strange sounds. YMMV
Doug in Pittsburg KS
2003EVT

MotoGoosy

« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2015, 04:16:01 PM »
I didn't buy the bike to work on it.  I bought it to ride, not repair.  There are shops galore, including a Guzzi dealer within a few miles.  I bring the subjects up here because I thought you all had experience I don't have with this bike.  If you are deeply offended by my asking a question, suggest you just not answer.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2015, 04:22:37 PM »
You've come in as the prophet of guzzi inadequacies, ignore all advice, argue facts with ignorance, won't educate yourself on any of it except to find equally ignorant internet comments that agree with yours (ignoring anything that doesn't meet your agenda), and now you're getting snippy?  Maybe you need to reboot and start over.  . . . ?

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
  • vee git tooh soon oldt und too late wise -my Dad
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2015, 04:32:35 PM »
You've come in as the prophet of guzzi inadequacies, ignore all advice, argue facts with ignorance, won't educate yourself on any of it except to find equally ignorant internet comments that agree with yours (ignoring anything that doesn't meet your agenda), and now you're getting snippy?  Maybe you need to reboot and start over.  . . . ?
Well said RK.
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

MotoGoosy

« Reply #21 on: April 05, 2015, 05:04:25 PM »
With no experience with Moto Guzzi's, but about 50 years on and off riding motorcycles, the Guzzi is completely different to me.  I'm 68 and not interested in working on them any more, nor am I thrilled about spending $90 and hour at the dealer/shop.  That's why I bought a bike with less than 10,000 miles on it.  I merely ask questions here because I don't have these experiences with my other bikes and seek validation that the sensations are normal for a Moto Guzzi.  The dealer and local European repair shop tell me it's fine.  Sorry I asked here.

Offline rodekyll

• Gaggle Hero
  • Not my real name
« Reply #22 on: April 05, 2015, 05:21:48 PM »
If you made the questions multiple choice or true/false instead of open-answer you'd be sure to see only what you want to read.  My point being that you're not interested in getting your questions answered.  You're interested in getting agreement for conclusions you've already drawn. 

There have been about a hundred answers to your 'question' about vibration to the effect that no, that level of vibration is not normal.  Instead of finding out the source, you look for others on the 'net that agree that the guzzi is a bone-shaking piece of shit and argue our facts and experience with those bullshit opinions.  Now that you've discovered those 100 people were right, do you say something like "Ooops -- sorry guys -- I was wrong -- there IS a problem here"?  No.  No amount of reality is going to change your belief, and you're obviously unapologetic about the abuse you've given the folks who were sincerely trying to help.  Why would anyone continue trying with you?

On a communications level that makes you a waste of time.  On an entertainment level the potential is endless.

56Pan

« Reply #23 on: April 05, 2015, 06:12:26 PM »
(snipped)  On an entertainment level the potential is endless.

I've certainly been entertained by this thread.  ;D  And a Happy Easter to all.

Vasco DG

« Reply #24 on: April 05, 2015, 06:19:13 PM »
You don't want to work on it yourself? You don't want to pay someone else to work on it? Well you're up shit creek without a paddle aren't you 'cos sure as shit ain't sugar it isn't going to fix itself!

I haven't got enough life left to waste trying to assist needy old whiners with a sense of entitlement. I suggest you sell it to someone who cares.

Pete

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: April 05, 2015, 06:51:18 PM »
  I merely ask questions here because I don't have these experiences with my other bikes  
if your other bikes are so superior why are you riding that "Thunder-Thumper" at all.. ?

what the bike probably needs is a rider who can thrash it up and down the rev range in all gears then a fresh tank of gas with a little seafoam and run it down the interstate for 100 miles at or above 5k rpm. (4th gear)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 06:53:16 PM by fotoguzzi »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Vasco DG

« Reply #26 on: April 05, 2015, 06:54:24 PM »
If he does that and his UJ lets go it won't be pretty. He may be a dork but not even dorks deserve to end up as mincemeat!

Offline fotoguzzi

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: April 05, 2015, 06:56:33 PM »
I'm in the camp that all this is in his head.. the shop says nothings wrong with it.
(said rider would of course look it over and feel any real problem before he got to the Interstate.)
« Last Edit: April 05, 2015, 06:59:17 PM by fotoguzzi »
MINNEAPOLIS, MN

Vasco DG

« Reply #28 on: April 05, 2015, 06:59:46 PM »
Yup, but it's so easy to check Brad........

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here