Author Topic: NGC Another ride on the new RE 650 today  (Read 3415 times)

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
Re: NGC Another ride on the new RE 650 today
« Reply #30 on: May 11, 2021, 10:50:34 AM »
I weigh 260# geared up. I set the tires to the two-up pressure. Rear shocks still have one notch left for more stiffness. For me, I find the F & R suspension is excellent. Well damped and sprung. A bit toward the firm sporty side of things, but that is how I like it. No plans to change anything like that on my bike. On the road it feels very light and lively and handles light & quick. Neutral in the corners. Stays where you put it in a bank. It just strikes a really nice fun balance in my book. I took it out for a half hour run yesterday to mail a letter. PO is a mile away and then I got lost and took a half hour to get home. ;-) (Not good to bring it home before the battery has a chance to recharge, right?) The license built Brembo brakes with steel lines are top drawer. I have yet to use the brakes hard enough to kick in the ABS. Front brake is good with two fingers on it. Feels just right. Handling feels like my old V11S.
Tomorrows my big day! Sorry I have to stop riding for a while. But I do to use the bike for physical therapy. I can sit on it and do squats to stretch my knees and build up my calves, right? Maybe make some motor noises too? ;-)
yeah, I might be addicted to brake fluid. But I can stop any time I want.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S
2021 Royal Enfield 650 Conti GT

Offline ohiorider

• Gaggle Hero
  • "You can't fight in here - this is the War Room."
« Reply #31 on: May 11, 2021, 05:35:19 PM »
RE has a really nice lineup of bikes.  Almost like a 1960s lineup.  With 'mid size' in the 350cc range, up to their 'big' bike, the 650 vertical twins. 

I currently own a Triumph T120, which by comparison is a 'big' bike, with its 1200cc twin.  I like this bike!

I'd consider an Enfield twin, but before signing on the dotted line, I'd probably search the market for a nice left over Kaw W800.  I rode its predecessor, a 2000 W650 for over 5 years and 50k miles, and found it to be pleasant, well-finished, and unbreakable.  The 2021s are a bit pricey, but a leftover 2020 could probably be had for less than $7k.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2021, 06:11:52 PM by ohiorider »
Main ride:  2008 Guzzi 1200 Sport (sold July 2020)
2012 Griso 8v SE (sold Sept '15)
Reliable standby: 1991 BMW R100GS
2014 Honda CB1100 (Traded Nov 2019)
New:  2016 Triumph T120 (Traded Dec 2021)
New:  2021 Kawasaki W800

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #32 on: May 11, 2021, 05:54:14 PM »
I took my new 650 Interceptor out last weekend with the wife on the back for a ride to one of our favourite coffee/lunch places. So a nice rural ride for us, no city or urban roads to deal with, perfect. The bike performed perfectly and was precisely what I expected it to be and was hoping for. A competent, comfortable, predictable handling bike with what I would term adequate power. Very relaxing to ride with a bit of character thrown in.
You honestly can't go wrong with one of these things as long as you don't want a ripping sports bike or more power than most can realistically deal with on the road. Takes me back to why I started riding 50 years ago.

Ciao       
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Online Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2021, 06:36:06 PM »
Tomorrows my big day! Sorry I have to stop riding for a while. But I do to use the bike for physical therapy. I can sit on it and do squats to stretch my knees and build up my calves, right? Maybe make some motor noises too? ;-)

Many years ago, I blew out a knee.. and that is how I did my PT.  :smiley: When I could get back on the bike and ride, I quit going to see the dungeon mistress. .
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #33 on: May 11, 2021, 06:36:06 PM »

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2021, 08:05:08 PM »
LOL. I'm on the right track then!
When my legs got crushed in 1995, the Navy gave me zero PT. It was up to me to learn to walk again. They had sent me home to see if I'd live or die. They didn't tell me for four years that I wasn't expected to keep the leg and walk again. I even regained full motion in my left knee that had been broken into 5 pieces.

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S

Offline jumpmaster

• Gosling
« Reply #35 on: May 11, 2021, 11:21:37 PM »

When my legs got crushed in 1995, the Navy gave me zero PT. It was up to me to learn to walk again. They had sent me home to see if I'd live or die. They didn't tell me for four years that I wasn't expected to keep the leg and walk again. I even regained full motion in my left knee that had been broken into 5 pieces.

Ha!  It's was so long ago that I don't even remember why, but in 1969 (I think) I spent about 3 days in an Army base hospital.  When the head nurse saw that I could walk, my "PT" began with him handing me a bucket and wet mop so I could spend all 3 days keeping the floors clean.  Motivated me to recuperate quickly!
JC
90 Mille GT (sold), 73 Eldorado, 75 Norton Commando, 46 Whizzer, 13 Harley Road Glide

Offline Dimitri_Harkov

• Hatchling
« Reply #36 on: May 12, 2021, 01:59:45 AM »
Good luck with surgery, sidecarnutz, and speedy recovery!

Cheers,
D.
2020 V7 III Stone Night Pack

Offline greer

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #37 on: May 12, 2021, 06:22:15 AM »
Wishing the best and hope you heal quick sidecarnutz, we want to hear more about that Royal Enfield.

Sarah
Sarah '21 V7 Special, '17 XT250, '17 V9 Roamer sold August 2021, '16 V7 II Stone sold September 2021, '08 Nevada Classic sold August 2020 
Doug '21 V85TT, '05 Sportster Roadster, '13 XT250

Offline sidecarnutz

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #38 on: May 16, 2021, 08:34:08 PM »
Thanks folks
Had it done Wednesday. Was walking on it on day 1. Great drugs apparently. ;-) More sore on day 2, but I walked 50 yards and did a flight of stairs. Got home Friday afternoon. Sleeping pretty well at night and skipping the night time pain pills. No problem getting around the house, bathroom, getting dressed. My wife IS spoiling me rotten. I married "up" for sure. Pain levels are very attention getting when I flex it downwards and when I first stand up. I can make it past 80 degrees now even with the bandage and staples on. I feel once that all comes off, 90 degrees will not be a problem. No problem straightening it fully. I AM doing all PT and then some. I've had many people tell that is the key to the best outcome.
I am using a walker, but expect to graduate to a cane in a couple weeks.
The replacement process pulls the muscles and tendons badly. That is where most of the pain comes from. Just gotta keep them stretched out as they heal.
Overall, a very positive experience. I feel like I got world class care!

2002 Kawasaki ZR7S

Offline lucky phil

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #39 on: May 16, 2021, 08:42:48 PM »
Thanks folks
Had it done Wednesday. Was walking on it on day 1. Great drugs apparently. ;-) More sore on day 2, but I walked 50 yards and did a flight of stairs. Got home Friday afternoon. Sleeping pretty well at night and skipping the night time pain pills. No problem getting around the house, bathroom, getting dressed. My wife IS spoiling me rotten. I married "up" for sure. Pain levels are very attention getting when I flex it downwards and when I first stand up. I can make it past 80 degrees now even with the bandage and staples on. I feel once that all comes off, 90 degrees will not be a problem. No problem straightening it fully. I AM doing all PT and then some. I've had many people tell that is the key to the best outcome.
I am using a walker, but expect to graduate to a cane in a couple weeks.
The replacement process pulls the muscles and tendons badly. That is where most of the pain comes from. Just gotta keep them stretched out as they heal.
Overall, a very positive experience. I feel like I got world class care!

Warning, don't do any more than instructed, don't think pushing it is good, it's def not. The time for pushing it with regards to PT is not now.

Ciao
If you're not living on the edge you're taking up to much room.

Online Moparnut72

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #40 on: May 17, 2021, 09:57:33 AM »
DO NOT SKIP THE PAIN MEDICATION.  Ask my wife, she paid for it a couple of days later.
kk
Mopar or Nocar
2023 V100 Marina
2019 V7lll Special
MGNOC #24053
Amiga computer shop owner: "Americans are great consumers but terrible shoppers".

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here