General Category > General Discussion

NGC. Got to see my new Maverick today.

<< < (2/12) > >>

Ncdan:

--- Quote from: sidecarnutz on December 31, 2021, 06:31:00 PM ---Depends on the bike wheelbase. There is a you tuber with the same model who carries his big dirt bike diagonally in the back on long trips cross country. I think my RE 650 will fit, but I would have issues getting it up there. Once I get it home I'll start measuring and looking at customizing and existing ramp to allow me to walk the bike up into the bed. Also, I may just carry the bike in a sideways rack in the trailer hitch. They are OK if your bike is under 500#.

--- End quote ---
Does it have enough of a tow rate to pull a single axel closed in trailer with a bike or two?

Kev m:

--- Quote from: sidecarnutz on December 31, 2021, 06:31:00 PM --- Also, I may just carry the bike in a sideways rack in the trailer hitch. They are OK if your bike is under 500#.

--- End quote ---

Seriously?

What's the tow rating on that? You're not basing that on 5000# so a 500# tongue weight? (Edit- looks like 4k# is max on the Maverick according to the Google).

I say this because a hitch carrier adds a few things to the equation.

* The carrier itself tends to be pretty heavy, around #100 so that adds a lot of tongue weight
* The carrier holds the weight further away from the hitch than a ball receiver, therefore the lever effect makes it effectively a heavier tongue weight.

Not sure if you saw my Ducati on a Land Rover thread this summer. The Duc is only 400# wet, the carrier about 100#, but the tow rating is ~8200# with a tongue weight max of 771#. It's got an air suspension and the 5k# vehicle has a 7k# GVWR so it didn't notice it back there.

But the same might not be true if you're already over the weight rating on a coil spring vehicle that weighs a good 1k# less in the first place and is rated for about half that weight total.

9fingers:
I would NOT put a 500lb bike on a hitch carrier. I have one for my trials bikes but the heaviest one is about 210lbs with gas, and that is enough. A 500lb bike in a carrier, besides being VERY iffy strength wise, will also have the Maverick riding nose up pretty badly me thinks.
Scott

9fingers:
"For short bed trucks if rear wheel of the bike sits on the tailgate, I simply flip on of my 6-foot steel ramps upside down and put it in the bed of the truck to act as a track for the bikes wheels to rest it. It takes a lot of the stress off the tailgate and no need to try and jack the bike sideways in the bed to get the tailgate closed."

That is a REALLY good idea and I am glad you thought of it since I wouldn't have. Dumb question but how do you get the bike onto the upside down ramp after you roll it up into the bed? In the case of the Maverick or Sante Cruz, the 6' steel ramps would be sticking out a bit from the tailgate so I don't see how one could roll the bike directly up onto the upside down ramp.
Scott

DougG:
Hi Sidecar,                                                                                                    1-1-21

A real beauty!

Be well, stay well,
DougG

P.S.  A Guzzi sticker in the rear window would finish it off nicely.   :grin:

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version