Author Topic: v7 sport "fence post" rebuild  (Read 52382 times)

Online siabeid

• Hatchling
Re: v7 sport "fence post" rebuild
« Reply #150 on: July 14, 2018, 03:20:09 PM »
We had the glamour picture shots done last evening, so today was the day to get it dirty. The good - It runs and handles great. The Wirth springs, new dampers and Ikon shocks seem to be the ticket. No fork tube problems after honing the lowers. Engine pulls very strongly and carburation seems to be spot on. I kind of like the 1 up 4 down shift pattern. The bad - I have to pull the tranny out! It is leaking pretty badly out of the front, the shifter return spring isn't returning, and the speedo drive isn't driving. As my Mom used to say :"There's always something...." All in all, though, I'm very happy with it.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #151 on: July 14, 2018, 06:26:54 PM »
 :thumb:  Way ahead of when you first got it.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2018, 06:28:58 PM by Tom »
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

canuck750

« Reply #152 on: July 15, 2018, 10:02:13 AM »
We had the glamour picture shots done last evening, so today was the day to get it dirty. The good - It runs and handles great. The Wirth springs, new dampers and Ikon shocks seem to be the ticket. No fork tube problems after honing the lowers. Engine pulls very strongly and carburation seems to be spot on. I kind of like the 1 up 4 down shift pattern. The bad - I have to pull the tranny out! It is leaking pretty badly out of the front, the shifter return spring isn't returning, and the speedo drive isn't driving. As my Mom used to say :"There's always something...." All in all, though, I'm very happy with it.

Sounds like my experiences, I have pulled a transmission more than once on a rebuild.

When you get the transmission and clutch off check the breather tube seal, the long half circle vent tube, I have had persistent leaks out of the through bolt that is secured into the base of the engine block. I seal off the larger breather tube and push low pressure, say 10 psi into the top of the smaller diameter breather, watch for leaks, the leak I had between the crush washers and bolt / tube was immediately evident. The threads in the block were stripped on my engine and I needed to fit a helicoil
« Last Edit: July 15, 2018, 10:03:52 AM by canuck750 »

Online siabeid

• Hatchling
« Reply #153 on: July 15, 2018, 06:02:06 PM »
Thanks for the great tip, Canuck.

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #153 on: July 15, 2018, 06:02:06 PM »

canuck750

« Reply #154 on: July 15, 2018, 09:43:11 PM »
This is my Eldorado block, the surface was not square, a helicoli fixed it and new aluminum crush washers

Plus thread lock and new crush washers

Offline ritratto

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #155 on: August 06, 2018, 03:17:56 PM »
What a great job! Has been fun watching this story, from find to finish. Has the previous “owner” seem any photos? I would sure think that he would be very appreciative of the work you have done to his fence post!
1993 1000S
1978 G5
1998 Centauro ( oppsidaisy!)
2003 V11 LeMans

Online siabeid

• Hatchling
« Reply #156 on: December 08, 2018, 05:37:45 PM »
In my shake down runs, I had three problems - Leaking gear oil, speedo not working and the shift return spring not functioning. All in all, I was quite happy with how well it ran for something that had just been a yard ornament for so many years. Still, it was a let down to think about pulling it back apart after only 25 miles. Since it was riding season, I just pushed the v7 to the side. With the return of cold weather, I finally got inspired to go back to work on it. Pulled the trans out last Sunday and put it on the bench. Yes, I screwed up installing the return spring. Put it in the right way and put the box rear back together. I could not see any evidence of seals leaking, but did find that the drain plug was not quite sealing completely and there was a slight drip running down the bottom of the case and dripping off by the hole in the bell housing. It made it look like it was leaking from the inside. Another new gasket and that was fixed. The speedo cable grommet needed to be repositioned, and that seemed to fix that. I put the trans back in and got the bike about 90% put back together today. I'd like to complete it tomorrow, but my wife is clamoring to decorate for Christmas. It's supposed to start snowing seriously tomorrow anyway....

Offline wirespokes

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #157 on: December 08, 2018, 06:41:26 PM »
The last 10% always seems to take 90% of the effort. It's like it takes a superhuman push to completely finish the job. Just think how cool it'll be riding it and nothing's wrong.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #158 on: December 10, 2018, 04:57:17 PM »
In my shake down runs, I had three problems - Leaking gear oil, speedo not working and the shift return spring not functioning. All in all, I was quite happy with how well it ran for something that had just been a yard ornament for so many years. Still, it was a let down to think about pulling it back apart after only 25 miles. Since it was riding season, I just pushed the v7 to the side. With the return of cold weather, I finally got inspired to go back to work on it. Pulled the trans out last Sunday and put it on the bench. Yes, I screwed up installing the return spring. Put it in the right way and put the box rear back together. I could not see any evidence of seals leaking, but did find that the drain plug was not quite sealing completely and there was a slight drip running down the bottom of the case and dripping off by the hole in the bell housing. It made it look like it was leaking from the inside. Another new gasket and that was fixed. The speedo cable grommet needed to be repositioned, and that seemed to fix that. I put the trans back in and got the bike about 90% put back together today. I'd like to complete it tomorrow, but my wife is clamoring to decorate for Christmas. It's supposed to start snowing seriously tomorrow anyway....

I have to replace the shift lever return spring on my Eldo hack too.  Where did you get your spring from?  Curious.....I got mine from MG Cycles in WI.  Forgot to order a gasket however..... :tongue:  So how was riding it around with a right shift?
From the Deep Deep South out in left field.  There are no stupid questions.  There are however stupid people asking questions.  🤣, this includes me.  😉

Online siabeid

• Hatchling
« Reply #159 on: December 11, 2018, 07:44:50 AM »
 I got the spring from MG Cycle.  This bike has left hand shift, but it is 1 up and 4 down. I actually liked the pattern, but I put a little label up by the controls to remind me. Test riding it, I was paying attention to everything, so the muscle memory wasn't an issue. Once I start using it normally, though, I think that there are likely going to be some shifts in the wrong direction!

Offline s1120

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #160 on: December 11, 2018, 03:05:10 PM »
Great build!!  Thats the way to bring them back alive!
Paul B

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #161 on: December 11, 2018, 04:56:35 PM »
Siabeid....I wonder if the linkage got change to do a left hand shift???  IIRC your bike is originally maroon w/4 leading shoe brakes.  Charlie can jump in but it probably was a right hand shift bike.

Online siabeid

• Hatchling
« Reply #162 on: December 12, 2018, 07:56:34 AM »
It has 4 leading shoe brakes, but was originally black as far as I can tell. It was built in June 1973, but is registered as a 1974. It has a rear brake rod, not a cable, and a timing chain not gears.

Online Turin

• Gaggle Hero
    • crap and stuff
« Reply #163 on: December 15, 2018, 10:20:47 AM »
WOW !!! More pictures please!
1997 Daytona RS
1991 Rennsport California III
1991 LeMans 1000
1987 LeMans SE Dave's Cycle Racer
1984 LeMans III
1985 Sidlow Guzzi
1974 850-T Sport
1969 A-series Ambassador
1996 Triumph Daytona 1200
1996 Triumph Daytona 900
1982 Alfa Romeo GTV6 Balocco SE 3.0

Online siabeid

• Hatchling
« Reply #164 on: April 20, 2020, 01:46:03 PM »
A very late update. It has been well over a year since I posted about this. I had to pull the trans apart and fix the shift return spring. I got it going about this time last Spring and took it out for a test run. It shifted great. I found the oil leak. It was transmission oil coming out of the detent cap/ "breather" on the side of the trans behind the starter.  The bike ran fine for about 20 miles and then started misfiring badly. I barely made it home up the mountain, but it did get me here. By this time, it was getting nice out, so I rolled it into the corner with a sheet on it and waited for Winter. By this time it had about 60 miles on it, so I changed the oil, retorqued the heads, adjusted the valves, checked everything for tightness, etc. etc, and then started looking for the problem. I checked the carbs and everything seemed OK. Checked the points and timing. That was good. Then I remembered hearing people complaining about bad condensers, so I ordered a pair of Marellis from MG Cycle. That was it! It is now running fantastic and I hope to actually get it all sorted and use it this year. I just ordered a new transmission breather cap set up for a 5/16 hose, and hopefully that will cure the trans oil drip. It has been kind of nice in these strange times to have more time to actually work on things.

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #165 on: April 20, 2020, 03:20:43 PM »
That whole thread is just fantastic... :bow: :thumb:

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #166 on: April 20, 2020, 03:59:55 PM »
Good to hear!   :thumb: :thumb:

Online siabeid

• Hatchling
« Reply #167 on: May 17, 2020, 05:38:13 PM »

google high quality photos

I have about 400 miles on the bike now, and it is running really well, and is a blast to ride.  I am finally trying to get some pics up of the finished product, as well as a few pictures from the day I brought it home. There is one picture of it finished of the rear fender and tail light. That is showing the shotgun pellets from when it got shot by someone when it was leaning against the fence out in the desert. I didn't want to eliminate all of its history. It has been over 3 years, $8500 and countless hours, but it sure has been a very satisfying  project bringing it back to life. Thanks for all of the help and advice.

Offline Tom

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #168 on: May 17, 2020, 09:18:52 PM »
 :thumb:  Cool to leave the rear fender that way.

Online blackcat

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #169 on: May 18, 2020, 09:32:12 AM »
Looks great, nice job.
1968 Norton Fastback
1976 Lemans
1981 CX-100
1993 1000S
1997 Daytona RS
2007 Red Norge

Offline Canuck750

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #170 on: May 18, 2020, 07:31:28 PM »
Looks fantastic! An epic save  :bow: :bow: :bow:
48 Guzzi Airone, 57 Guzzi Cardellino, 65 Benelli 200 sprite, 66 Aermacchi Sprint, 68 Gilera 106 SS, 72 Eldorado, 72 Benelli 180, 74 Guzzi 750S, 73 Laverda SF1, 74  Benelli 650S, 75 Ducati 860GT, 75 Moto Morini 3-1/2, 78 Moto Morinii 500

Offline Yan

• New Egg
« Reply #171 on: May 19, 2020, 02:47:32 PM »
Incredible!!!  Fantastic job!!   :bow: :bow: :bow:
2007 Griso 1100

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #172 on: March 18, 2022, 04:23:59 PM »
I have just bumped this for czakky82 so it doesn’t disappear into obscurity.
I have no dog in this fight at all, but I love build threads and after looking through Canuck’s stuff, I’m reminded that they pack more “punch per dollar” than most other topics.
Big trips and such are good coffee table reads, but the blood and guts of deep seated ownership has no more solid home, than in the world of the master restorer.

We’d be the poorer without them...
« Last Edit: June 12, 2023, 03:04:38 PM by Huzo »

Online Huzo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #173 on: June 12, 2023, 03:05:47 PM »

Offline Sprouty115

• New Egg
« Reply #174 on: December 25, 2023, 12:32:47 PM »
I posted this awhile ago on another thread:

https://youtu.be/KFdFsfSAuyc

"A stick candle and a lighter"

Internet myth...
https://youtu.be/bIunR4VL5vc?si=V4p_lIPboEzTKPLD

***Wildguzzi Official Logo High Quality 5 Color Window Decals Back In Stock***
Shipping in USA Only. Awesome quality. Back by popular demand. All proceeds go back into the forum.
http://www.wildguzzi.com/Products/products.htm
Advertise Here