Author Topic: Stelvio Battery Placement  (Read 13969 times)

bw45069

Stelvio Battery Placement
« on: February 16, 2014, 07:13:29 AM »

I'm reading threads about leaking batteries on Stelvio's due to angled installation.

I have a 2013.  I know the battery is still at an angle, but does anyone know if they changed the battery type to eliminate leakage ?

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
Re: Stelvio Battery Placement
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2014, 07:20:40 AM »
I highly doubt that they have changed anything.  I just replaced my Made In USA Yuasa with a Motobatt factory-activated and sealed battery.

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2014, 07:28:55 AM »
my Yuasa  in the stelvio is from 2008 and still strong and not leaking
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 08:05:59 AM »
Just put an Anti Gravity lithium battery in my Stelvio.  I have already had one leaking OEM battery and the replacement was identical to what was already leaking.  Rather than discover that I had another leaker I bit the bullet for a no-leak solution.  We'll see soon if the lithium cold weather performance is satisfactory or not.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2014, 08:05:59 AM »

Online Wayne Orwig

• Gaggle Hero
    • Hog Mountain weather
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2014, 08:11:28 AM »
my Yuasa  in the stelvio is from 2008 and still strong and not leaking

In 2008 the battery was installed upright. Later they changed it where the battery lays sideways. those leak.
Scientist have discovered that people will believe anything, if you first say "Scientists have discovered...."

Hellgate

Re: Re: Re: Stelvio Battery Placement
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2014, 08:29:17 AM »
Just put an Anti Gravity lithium battery in my Stelvio.  I have already had one leaking OEM battery and the replacement was identical to what was already leaking.  Rather than discover that I had another leaker I bit the bullet for a no-leak solution.  We'll see soon if the lithium cold weather performance is satisfactory or not.

Peter Y.

Follow normal Li battery warm up process and you're good to go.

Ballistic has a nice video that explains the process.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Offline ChuckH

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2014, 11:37:13 AM »
....I have a 2013.  I know the battery is still at an angle, but does anyone know if they changed the battery type to eliminate leakage ? 

Is it leakage??  Or, is it just corrosion at the connections from a lack of adequate corrosion protection?

The battery seems to be vented (at the rear corners of the top) and, at it's slightly angled position, that venting is at the top.  From my experience, if the connections are thoroughly coated with a good anti-corrosion spray, the corrosion that I've seen in pictures does not develop. 

Also, I'm cautious about my use of a Battery Tender.  I attach the Tender to the bike about every two weeks (the bike is in my garage which is heated to 50 F.) and disconnect it after the green light comes on.  I don't allow it to be connected continually.  I also remove the seats during this charging so any vapors through the vent will go into the air in my garage rather than being captured/condense under the seat.

I know this is a different way of looking at the situation.  However, my '12 Stelvio battery is not displaying the problems that others seem to be experiencing.
Essential to the pursuit of happiness is knowing when you've caught it.
Life's what happens while you're making other plans.
I always knew I'd get old.  How fast it happened was a bit of a surprise, though.

'08 Chevy Corvette (non-Stealth, Bright Red)

Offline pyoungbl

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2014, 01:34:44 PM »
Chuck, mine was leaking from around the battery post and then running down the drain tube at the bottom of the battery tray.  The acid was leaving white spots on my concrete floor, which was my clue of a problem.  I did not have significant corrosion on the posts.

At 37F the new lithium battery took 5 tries before it would kick the engine to life, then showed 13.4V immediately.  There is darn little drain on the battery until the starter does its job and then the lights come on and everything else takes a bite out of the available electrons.  Thus, I'll have to wake the battery by trying (and failing) to crank a few times.  The Ballistic Battery video helps explain what really is a new starting experience.

Peter Y.
Growing old ain't for sissies.

'13 V7 Special (red/white)

Offline youcanrunnaked

• Gaggle Hero
  • '03 California EV; Suzuki SV650; Suzuki DR650
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2014, 02:00:11 PM »
Is it leakage??  Or, is it just corrosion at the connections from a lack of adequate corrosion protection?

It leaks.  Moto Guzzi spec'd the wrong battery for the job.  http://wildguzzi.com/forum/index.php?topic=64797.0

AFAIK, this situation has not been corrected by the factory to date.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2014, 02:01:30 PM by youcanrunnaked »
"The transverse vibration is a great sensation -- hey, I think I just wrote a song!"
-- Billy Joel, Motorcyclist, 02/2012

"If Moto Guzzi were any more of a cult, you'd need a chicken."
--- Dan Neil, The Wall Street Journal, 04/19/2013

bpreynolds

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 09:13:45 PM »
Did somebody say Stelvio Yusa batteries are leaking?  No way!   ;D

Offline pauldaytona

• Gaggle Hero
    • Paul's fast Guzzi Page
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2014, 05:53:51 AM »
In 2008 the battery was installed upright. Later they changed it where the battery lays sideways. those leak.

Of course I know that, but I changed airbox to new model when I rebuild bike to big tank, and since then same battery, still does not leak.  When it was upright it once had corrosion on one post, but after cleaning that it stayed ok.
Paul

Daytona 1225, Stelvio 1151

Download Guzzidiag here: http://www.von-der-salierburg.de/download/GuzziDiag/

Offline MotoG5

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2014, 06:25:12 AM »
I have had two factory batteries YTX20CH-BS Yuasa and both of them have leaked. 
Nebraska MGNOC State Rep

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2014, 07:16:00 AM »
As stated before, my Stelvio's Yuasa did not leak after almost 2 years but I recently replaced it as a precaution with a factory-sealed/activated Motobatt. All good so far.

Offline jknight611

• Gentlemens cranks go fore and aft
  • New Egg
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2014, 01:26:18 PM »
My Stelvio battery leaks!!!   :-[. The warranty will replace it but I already have a leaky one!  I popped for the Zero Gravity from Todd.  Lighter too, I know I will be able to "feel the difference"! 

Hope to see a bunch of folks at "Big Stella"

Jay
1995 Sport 1100
2007 GL1800
2006 Ural Tourist
2010 KLR650
2013 Stelvio

bpreynolds

« Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 09:50:45 AM »
Reviving this thread here a bit.  I'm going to replace the Yusa in mine.  Does Odyssey have a battery to fit?  Their website offers no clue.  If not Odyssey, any other lighter weight suggestions?  I really like the idea of weight savings especially since the battery sits so high up in the bike.  Leaf, is the Motobatt any lighter than the stock Yusa?

biking sailor

« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2014, 09:53:19 AM »
I've bookmarked Leafman60's link to the Motobatt and will keep an eye on my battery.  Any signs of leakage and I will order the Motobatt.

Hellgate

Re: Re: Re: Stelvio Battery Placement
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2014, 01:13:21 PM »
Reviving this thread here a bit.  I'm going to replace the Yusa in mine.  Does Odyssey have a battery to fit?  Their website offers no clue.  If not Odyssey, any other lighter weight suggestions?  I really like the idea of weight savings especially since the battery sits so high up in the bike.  Leaf, is the Motobatt any lighter than the stock Yusa?

For LiFePO4 batteries I had very good results with Shorai and earthX brands.

I've used Alien and Ballistic too.

Both Shorai and earthX have tougher cases than A & B. E has built in balancing.

On the otherhand A is vety reasonably priced.

4 of my bikes have Li batteries. The Stevlio will get on latet this Spring.

Amazon has the best prices.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2014, 03:30:56 PM »

Odyssey does not currently produce a direct replacement. There are but a few out there.  Bikemaster has a TruGel direct replacement.  I've not had problems with the gel batteries but some people say they don't like them.

The Motobatt is not noticeably lighter than the Yuasa but neither will be any lead battery.

bpreynolds

« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2014, 07:25:45 AM »
I may give the Shorai a shot.  Looks like it's a weight savings of almost 10lbs over the Yusa that's in there. 

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2014, 08:13:11 AM »
I may give the Shorai a shot.  Looks like it's a weight savings of almost 10lbs over the Yusa that's in there. 

I hope I'm wrong but you may regret that. Let us know how it works out in the colder months.

bpreynolds

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2014, 08:30:55 AM »

I hope I'm wrong but you may regret that. Let us know how it works out in the colder months.

Yes, I'll be definitely curious about this myself as I ride completely year round and even in the coldest months.  It will be in an insulated garage when not out but will sit outside in the cold for up to 8 or 9 hours while I am working on commuter days.  KY is certainly not Minnesota but I do ride regularly in temps during the Winter of down to 10F.  The only reason I've never tried a Shorai before is this rumored or otherwise potential cold start issue; yet, I'm hopeful as I've also heard many Shorai owners say this issue is overstated.  So we'll see, certainly.  Very happily, however, it is almost March and I certainly hope I won't have this issue tested for another 9 months or more  :BEER:

oldbear

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2014, 03:37:31 PM »
I'm running a new Shorai in my 1050 Tiger.  In cold weather, turn on the switch (do NOT crank) and let the battery "warm up" for a minute, then crank 'er up.  Mine works very well following this regime.  Otherwise, expect multiple trys... YMMV

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2016, 06:58:28 PM »
MotoBatt MBTX16U

Mine is over 2.5 years old and doing fine.

They're available for $101 plus change from several places including Amazon.

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2016, 07:03:26 PM »
My original Yuasa in my 2009 never leaked, went to 2013 and then started slowly dying in a predictable way (wouldn't hold a charge more than two weeks, did fine on the road.)

Replaced it with the same Yuasa model, no leaks and going strong.   I think I'll dance with who brung me.

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: August 29, 2016, 07:16:13 PM »
Yes, if I am correct, the '09 battery was positioned upright instead of leaning over like on the '12-later bikes that experienced leaks.

Offline Demar

• Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
« Reply #25 on: August 29, 2016, 07:20:52 PM »
Chuck, mine was leaking from around the battery post and then running down the drain tube at the bottom of the battery tray.  The acid was leaving white spots on my concrete floor, which was my clue of a problem.  I did not have significant corrosion on the posts.

At 37F the new lithium battery took 5 tries before it would kick the engine to life, then showed 13.4V immediately.  There is darn little drain on the battery until the starter does its job and then the lights come on and everything else takes a bite out of the available electrons.  Thus, I'll have to wake the battery by trying (and failing) to crank a few times.  The Ballistic Battery video helps explain what really is a new starting experience.

Peter Y.

Peter, what model did you get? I bought a YT12BS-16 16 cell. I haven't installed it yet.
I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Offline toma nova

• Gosling
« Reply #26 on: August 29, 2016, 07:34:58 PM »
OE Yuasa leaked, MotoBatt is the perfect replacement, with accessories terminals also.
2014 Stelvio NTX
2008 1200 Sport - sold

Offline MotoG5

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #27 on: August 29, 2016, 08:30:12 PM »
Peter, what model did you get? I bought a YT12BS-16 16 cell. I haven't installed it yet.

I have been running the AG 16 cell for three years now. Starts in the upper 20 degree F range with two hits at most. Never worry about it during warmer months. Bike is a 2012 NTX. Installed after two leaking lead acid units. When the temps get below 25F here in Nebraska its time to pull the battery for the winter. I leave it in the basement until spring and then reinstall for the new riding season. Bought the special charger and have never used it. :thumb:
Nebraska MGNOC State Rep

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: August 29, 2016, 08:31:28 PM »
Yes, if I am correct, the '09 battery was positioned upright instead of leaning over like on the '12-later bikes that experienced leaks.

No, my '09 has the battery laying over at about a 45 degree angle, leaning forward under the back of the gas tank ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline leafman60

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: August 29, 2016, 08:39:20 PM »
No, my '09 has the battery laying over at about a 45 degree angle, leaning forward under the back of the gas tank ....

Lannis

OK, just like the later models. You are lucky.  Many, many of the Yuasa batteries leak.  We've found several new bikes at our dealer with the problem.

I was lucky too. My original Yuasa didn't leak but when it died, I opted for the Motobatt due to the leakages I had seen or heard about.  Also, Yuasa advises not to lean them over whereas Motobatt says it's okay.

Quad Lock - The best GPS / phone mount system for your motorcycles, no damage to your cameras!!
Get a Wildguzzi discount of 10% off your order!
http://quadlock.refr.cc/luapmckeever
Advertise Here