Author Topic: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?  (Read 8906 times)

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
« on: November 10, 2016, 02:22:40 PM »
Which do you most enjoy and why?

I like how easy it is to carry and point a pistol, as well as how many rounds it can hold. However, I much prefer shooting a shotgun. A shotgun seems quieter than a pistol (perhaps because the opening of the barrel is so much further from my ears), and it is easier for me to hit a target (probably because I am a bad shot, and a scatter gun is more likely to hit something). Plus, I just like how shotguns look and feel. They just feel right.

How about you?

PS: I am planning on getting an over-under shotgun someday if I can save a few coins here and there.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Demar

• Hooper drives the boat Chief.
  • Gaggle Hero
  • There's someone in my head but it's not me.
Re: Firearms: Pistol vs. Shotgun vs. ?
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2016, 02:49:51 PM »
They are all fun. I do like shooting clay targets with a shotgun.
I'd much rather ask for forgiveness than ask for permission.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Offline drlapo

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2016, 02:58:01 PM »
I shoot trap skeet and sporting clays 4 days a week so I prefer shotguns.  I have 12 shotguns including over unders, side by side and pump.  I prefer the over under guns.
Look for an older Japanese made SKB 585. Very well made well balanced and should be just under$1000.

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 03:18:10 PM »
I haven't tried trap, skeet, or clays, but I'd like to. I have been thinking about getting a portable clay launcher and setting it up in my back yard (on a farm, so no worries about complaining neighbors--because they are all armed anyway!)
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Wildguzzi.com

« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2016, 03:18:10 PM »

Offline Lannis

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2016, 04:33:04 PM »
Guns are really tools for me, meant for hunting, competing, self-defense, etc.

I mean I have fun with them, but I make sure that I buy the right tool for the job I need to do.

If I'm trying to put meat on the table from a hide a long way from the meat, then my favorite is a rifle.   If I'm trying to break more clays than the other guy, or put a dove or rabbit in my pocket, then a shotgun is the tool of the day.   If I'm planning to be able to potentially defend myself outdoors or in town somewhere, then I'm happy with a pistol that will hide in my pocket or holster ....

My favorite kind of motorcycle is the kind that brings me home every time I go out.   My favorite guns sort of go that way too ....

Lannis
"Hard pounding, this, gentlemen; let's see who pounds the longest".

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2016, 05:03:22 PM »
I prefer handguns, especially revolvers. They always present a bit of a challenge and keep one honest. Rifles are fun but kind of boring unless going for extended ranges. Shotguns have never treated me well. Seems like proper fit has a lot to do with it. For years I struggled with a Remington 870 then moved on to an Ithaca 37 with a bit shorter stock and totally different balance and I improved some immediately although a long ways from good.
GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2016, 06:03:53 PM »
I prefer a shotgun when bird hunting...

I am just bad at it with a handgun.  Actually terrible.
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2016, 06:25:54 PM »
I love shotguns. Hands down my favorite type of firearm.
2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2016, 06:34:45 PM »
 I like an old British double barrel Howda pistol in .58 cal.
 It can be loaded with a giant bullet or a load of shot of your preference.
Nineteenth century Brit officers used them a last ditch protection when hunting tigers in India.
 With that kind of power they are very effective as self defense.  One or both barrels at close range
are a real detriment to an attacker.  I believe that replicas are available in .58 cal. muzzle loaded, and .45/70
cartridge breach loaded.  Either is a powerful weapon handled by one or both hands.
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2016, 06:50:35 PM »
Well, guns have always been tools to me. Just the same, I like the challenge of handguns. There is a *lot* of hand/eye coordination involved to consistently put them in the black. Not to mention reloading to find just the load that the particular firearm likes. <shrug> Just the other day, I was frustrated with my .357. I'd been trying different loads, and spraying boolits in a 4 inch pattern.  :rolleyes: Gave up, changed powder, and all of a sudden there were 4 touching each other and another within a half inch. There is some gratification involved there. "If you don't understand, "  :wink:  :smiley:
Chuck in (Elwood) Indiana/sometimes SoCal

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
22 Royal Enfield Classic 3 fiddy
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Demar

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2016, 06:56:18 PM »
Well, guns have always been tools to me. Just the same, I like the challenge of handguns. There is a *lot* of hand/eye coordination involved to consistently put them in the black. Not to mention reloading to find just the load that the particular firearm likes. <shrug> Just the other day, I was frustrated with my .357. I'd been trying different loads, and spraying boolits in a 4 inch pattern.  :rolleyes: Gave up, changed powder, and all of a sudden there were 4 touching each other and another within a half inch. There is some gratification involved there. "If you don't understand, "  :wink:  :smiley:

What powder? I like Unique.

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2016, 07:00:43 PM »
It *was* Unique.  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
 "Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe."
Albert Einstein

Offline Demar

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2016, 07:01:59 PM »

2012 MG Stelvio NTX
2010 Bonneville T100
1953 Galletto 175

Offline Chuck in Indiana

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2016, 07:06:29 PM »
There's probably a reason it's been around for a hundred years or so.  :smiley:

87 AeroLario
95 Skorpion tour
Albert Einstein

Offline Gliderjohn

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2016, 07:47:18 PM »
Unique works well for me, just a bit dirty. Use it in .38sp, .357 mag, & .45 Colt. However when I bought an Uberti El Patron in .45 Colt I also bought a couple boxes of Mag Tech loads. The picture is Mag Tech 230 gr. This was my first five shots with the Uberti new straight out of the box. 50', two hand free hold. I am pleased.

GliderJohn
John Peters
East Mountains, NM

Offline Farmer Dan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #15 on: November 10, 2016, 08:12:34 PM »
I have a Browning A5 12guage with a 12 round magazine tube, that is fun to shot targets with.  For all around "fun to shoot" my favorite is my Thompson M1.  I use wheel guns for defense and hunting.
1972 Eldorado
1940 Ford 9N
1937 Browning A5
I love old iron

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #16 on: November 10, 2016, 09:16:11 PM »
I've had many and shot many others.  If I could afford it I'd get a Class III license and a few full auto guns.  But, I am not that wealthy  :)   I was 'lucky' and inherited several very unique firearms which are fun to shoot.

Favorite depends on what I am doing at the time. 

My shotgun is a weird one, 1920's French Charlin 24ga double.  Cool little gun and I can do OK on the skeet or clays range with it.  If you get serious at clay pigeons then a good over/under is the ticket.  It is not a cheap sport so a good reloading setup will pay for itself in a few months (that applies to just about any shooting if done a lot).

For rifle range I have an M1 Garand I like to shoot.  Pistol range is a mixed bag, .22, .32ACP, .357, .45 and an original .30 Mauser.  My next will be a traditional muzzle loader (I have had several, but sold them).

I can't claim any as a favorite as I love shooting all of them.

And, I also shoot longbow and recurve.

FWIW, the bows are so much less expensive to shoot so they get used much more than the firearms.

So, preference of pistol, rifle or shotgun?  I'd pick a pistol.  Easier to find a range and ammo is cheaper (relatively).
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #17 on: November 10, 2016, 11:27:10 PM »
I have a Browning A5 12guage with a 12 round magazine tube, that is fun to shot targets with.  For all around "fun to shoot" my favorite is my Thompson M1.  I use wheel guns for defense and hunting.

dang,  you have a Tommy Gun?
John L 
When life gets you down remember it's one down and the rest are up.  (1-N-23456)

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #18 on: November 10, 2016, 11:31:55 PM »
I've had many and shot many others.  If I could afford it I'd get a Class III license and a few full auto guns.  But, I am not that wealthy  :)   I was 'lucky' and inherited several very unique firearms which are fun to shoot.

Favorite depends on what I am doing at the time. 

My shotgun is a weird one, 1920's French Charlin 24ga double.  Cool little gun and I can do OK on the skeet or clays range with it.  If you get serious at clay pigeons then a good over/under is the ticket.  It is not a cheap sport so a good reloading setup will pay for itself in a few months (that applies to just about any shooting if done a lot).

For rifle range I have an M1 Garand I like to shoot.  Pistol range is a mixed bag, .22, .32ACP, .357, .45 and an original .30 Mauser.  My next will be a traditional muzzle loader (I have had several, but sold them).

I can't claim any as a favorite as I love shooting all of them.

And, I also shoot longbow and recurve.

FWIW, the bows are so much less expensive to shoot so they get used much more than the firearms.

So, preference of pistol, rifle or shotgun?  I'd pick a pistol.  Easier to find a range and ammo is cheaper (relatively).

I have a feeling most of us with guns have inherited them.  In fact, I don't know anyone that has had guns all their lives that think of them as protection as much as tools.

Perhaps another topic would be what guns have you inherited?  Which one is your favorite? 
John L 

Offline Farmer Dan

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #19 on: November 11, 2016, 02:00:54 AM »
dang,  you have a Tommy Gun?
Ran into some money last year so I figured I would get my self something nice for christmas.  I reload all my own ammo so cost is not much of a problem. 1,000 rounds don't last very long though LOL but it sure is fun
1972 Eldorado
1940 Ford 9N
1937 Browning A5
I love old iron

Doppelgaenger

« Reply #20 on: November 11, 2016, 02:27:20 AM »
Favorite gun to shoot has been a Springfield. I could hit anything i wanted with that rifle, even with very little shooting experience. the 1911 is also up there on the list.

Offline JoeB

• Gaggle Mentor
« Reply #21 on: November 11, 2016, 05:17:17 AM »
Whelen said only accurate rifles are interesting. I find making firearms accurate interesting. I enjoy reloading and tinkering probably more than I do shooting. Guzzi content, extra satisfaction if I find a cheaper, I mean frugal way to do something.
It ain't what they call you, it's what you answer to.

Rough Edge racing

« Reply #22 on: November 11, 2016, 05:55:20 AM »
  I don't care for shooting shotguns unless there's no better tool for the job.... With firearms I prefer a small bore hand gun for making holes in paper....
  But I enjoy my Barnett Commando crossbow the most..

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #23 on: November 11, 2016, 06:32:39 AM »
Ran into some money last year so I figured I would get my self something nice for christmas.  I reload all my own ammo so cost is not much of a problem. 1,000 rounds don't last very long though LOL but it sure is fun

Fun.  The Thompson and MP5 are my picks for sub guns.  Another sub that was fun to shoot, but ugly as sin, was the Grease Gun.  One of my sergeants had a Thompson in VN.  He didn't have to carry it though.  It had a spot on top of his tank turret  :)
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #24 on: November 11, 2016, 06:38:21 AM »
I have a feeling most of us with guns have inherited them.  In fact, I don't know anyone that has had guns all their lives that think of them as protection as much as tools.

Perhaps another topic would be what guns have you inherited?  Which one is your favorite? 

I only mention that part cause I didn't have to buy those guns.  I certainly did not have the money to spend for a Python or Mauser C96.  But, they are really fun to shoot.

Maybe the topic should be favorite guns I got for free or next to nothing?

I do have to point out, that when I was reloading a lot, revolvers were more fun to shoot that semi-autos for one reason.  The brass wasn't spread out across (and in front of) the firing line  :)  And another vote for Unique gun powder.  But, I use AA powders as much as I can in pistols.  They burn cleaner and flow better in the powder measures.

charlie
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline JeffOlson

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #25 on: November 11, 2016, 08:35:36 AM »
I do have to point out, that when I was reloading a lot, revolvers were more fun to shoot that semi-autos for one reason.  The brass wasn't spread out across (and in front of) the firing line  :)...

charlie

That is a good point. That bothers me, too, especially since most of my shooting is in my back yard and I like to pick up my trash.
2018 Vespa GTS 300
2016 Moto Guzzi Norge
2015 Vespa Sprint 150
2015 Vespa GTS 300

Offline Sasquatch Jim

• Gaggle Hero
  • Sidecar - Best drive by shooting vehicle ever
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2016, 08:51:05 AM »
 Unique is a good accurate powder in my various .45 ACP pistols but it does dirty them up some.
 I eventually settled on Bullseye for .45 ACP.
  I used to shoot about 500 rounds a week in .45 but now I haven't shot a pistol or any other firearm in 8 or nine years.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2016, 08:53:31 AM by Sasquatch Jim »
Sasquatch Jim        Humanoid, sort of.

Offline Perazzimx14

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #27 on: November 11, 2016, 09:13:11 AM »
That is a good point. That bothers me, too, especially since most of my shooting is in my back yard and I like to pick up my trash.

Another beautiful thing with a double barrel shotgun is you can eject the shells right into your hand or even lighten the ejector springs so that they only lift the shells and you pick them out.

2021 Moto Guzzi V85TT Guardia D'onore
2017 V7 III Carbon Dark #0008 of 1921
2017 Road Glide Special
2020 Kawasaki KLX300SM
2016 Suzuki Van Van 200

Offline charlie b

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #28 on: November 11, 2016, 09:50:56 AM »
Another beautiful thing with a double barrel shotgun is you can eject the shells right into your hand or even lighten the ejector springs so that they only lift the shells and you pick them out.

I removed the ejectors on my Charlin for that reason.  Breech slides back and I can just pick out the fired case(s).  Especially important for me since all the 24ga shells are all brass and not cheap  :)
1984 850 T5 (sold)
2009 Dodge Cummins 2500

Offline LowRyter

• Gaggle Hero
« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2016, 09:53:08 AM »
I only mention that part cause I didn't have to buy those guns.  I certainly did not have the money to spend for a Python or Mauser C96.  But, they are really fun to shoot.

Maybe the topic should be favorite guns I got for free or next to nothing?

I do have to point out, that when I was reloading a lot, revolvers were more fun to shoot that semi-autos for one reason.  The brass wasn't spread out across (and in front of) the firing line  :)  And another vote for Unique gun powder.  But, I use AA powders as much as I can in pistols.  They burn cleaner and flow better in the powder measures.

charlie
I inherited my Dad's Browning Sweet 16 and my Grampa's Savage 12 ga (kicks like a mule).  I've never shot the Browning.  Don't know anyone with a hunting lease.  Might try some clays .... just never thought about it.
John L 

20 Ounce Stainless Steel Double Insulated Tumbler
Buy a quality tumbler and support the forum at the same time!
Better than a YETI! BPA and Lead free.
Advertise Here